Page 375 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 2753253653733743753763773854254758751375 ... LastLast
Results 11,221 to 11,250 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    Her cancer did metastases to her brain about a year ago. They were able to shrink the tumor to almost nothing with radiation. I asked my dad yesterday if he thought some of her behavior could be explained by the possibility of the tumor growing in her brain and he said he thought yes. I also asked if she'd have another mri and he said no, that it would serve no purpose. I feel like I really want to know but of course it's not about me. And I guess he is right. What good would it do?
    Bridget, do you know which area? I might be able to give you some general ideas of what might be affected depending on where the cancer is located. But you should definitely expect big changes no matter where it is.

It sucks. I know.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post

How's your dad holding up? I can only imagine how difficult it must be for him.
    Not great. But not worse than I would expect, I guess. He broke down crying to my brother and I at one point this weekend. He's really scared. And totally exhausted. He won't let anyone help with her actual care. We cook, clean, garden, etc but he won't let anyone else directly care for her but him and the hospice care nurses.
    Quote Originally Posted by gwennero View Post
    Bridget, do you know which area? I might be able to give you some general ideas of what might be affected depending on where the cancer is located. But you should definitely expect big changes no matter where it is.

It sucks. I know.
    The large tumor was at the base of her brain. Cerebellum? Yes. I remember when she first told me about it and it was the only time she ever cried in front of me regarding her illness. She said she was so afraid of becoming a burden. And for the record, she is really off balance which I think is the main function of that area of the brain, right?
    Last edited by Bridget; 05-26-2010 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by katycat24 View Post
    Bridget, I wouldn't take any of that to heart. My understanding is that a lot of the palliative care medications can cause changes is personality, bringing out aggression and/or anger that wouldn't normally be there. Try not to let that stick in your head.
    This is so true. When my Dad was on Hospice, the medication he was on in the final stages of his illness made him a different person; he slipped into a kind of dementia almost. I definitely would not let those comments hurt you; she's probably not herself at all.

2/09 6/09 4/14

Bridget, yes, main function of the cerebellum is to regulate balance and coordination of movement. Recent research is learning a lot more about the cerebellum (we didn't used to know very much about it) and we are learning that it also plays a role in regulation of emotion. So any unusual emotional responses may go beyond just being a reaction of the cancer and may actually be related to changes in the brain and it's workings. I did a quick google for cerebellum and emotion and came up with lots of links if that's any help.

The cerebellum is typically recognized for its role in the coordination of motor behavior (Bastian, Mugnaini, & Thach, 1999), but an increasing number of empirical studies have recognized its involvement in cognitive and emotional functions as well (Andreasen et al., 1999a; Andreasen et al., 1999b; Schmahmann, 2004; Wiser et al., 1998). For instance, recent studies report that patients with cerebellar damage show impairments in executive function (Appollonio, Grafman, Schwartz, Massaquoi, & Hallett, 1993), language (Chen & Desmond, 2005; Fiez, Petersen, Cheney, & Raichle, 1992), sensory processing (Parsons & Fox, 1997) and emotion regulation (“the cerebellar cognitive-affective syndrome” ) (Parvizi, Anderson, Martin, Damasio, & Damasio, 2001; Schmahmann & Sherman, 1998).
    Executive function basically means the function of the brain in planning actions, regulating impulses, organization of thinking, etc. Her comments to you were making me wonder about executive function deficits which this study cites the cerebellum as having a role in controlling (although it's mainly regulated through the frontal lobe). So basically less and less impulse control or sense of what is "appropriate" is something you can expect. The cerebellum is one of the least-understood areas of the brain but it's a hot area of research right now.

A gazillion hugs to you Bridget.

So many hugs, Bridget.

Also remember that even aside from the disease, the physical stress on her brain, and the medications, STRESS and anxiety make people say things they'd never ordinarily say. It sucks to have to hear these things from her now, when you're trying to have a peaceful time with her (like you need these memories), but try so hard to remember that all these things combined are the culprit. Not YOU and not your MOM. Sigh. It's terribly unfair, this process. I wish we all just dropped dead instantly when we were "ready to."

Bridget.
    Just Midge

I confess today was my last day of work for the school year. But I still have a ton of work to do so I'm going back in on Tuesday.

I confess that I'm bidding on a pair of 'quad' roller skates (sketchers) on Ebay right now. I miss roller skating and I'm going to start doing it again.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I confess that I'm bidding on a pair of 'quad' roller skates (sketchers) on Ebay right now. I miss roller skating and I'm going to start doing it again.
    That sounds like fun!

12. Default

I confess I bought pretzel M&Ms at work today and cant wait to eat them...

I confess I'm writing a story and in the story, there is a rock band. I've been trying to come up with a name for the band and used a "working name" for a long time. Last night I decided I had to come up with something better, so I brainstormed.

What about Synesthesia for a rock band name? Good? Bad? Better ideas? I think it's a really cool concept but kind of hard to say so maybe it isn't believable as a name. Would people shorten it? What to?

I remember our discussion of weird sensory issues and synesthesia in here so wondered what you all thought of it as a name!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

People would shorten it to Syn, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    People would shorten it to Syn, of course.
    Obviously. Even better!!!

I just got word that one of my distant cousins passed away yesterday. We all called her Aunt Marge. She was 94. Her obituary mentions she was a UU, which I never knew. She almost always came to the family reunion every year and she was always sharp as a tack.
    Below is a picture we took in 2007 with Josh (oldest and youngest members of the family)

What's funny is that just about an hour ago the minister from my church called me and asked if I'd like to sign the member book (ie become an official member) at church on Sunday. I think that would be a nice thing to do in her memory, don't you?

So sorry, Kate. It looks like she had a long and happy life but it's still hard to lose a loved one.

That would be a wonderful way to remember her.

Erin- I confess that your new siggy picture is adorable. You have two very beautiful children.
    Kate, so sorry about your cousin. I love that picture.
    Last edited by Bridget; 05-28-2010 at 05:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by atenielle View Post
    I confess I bought pretzel M&Ms at work today and cant wait to eat them...
    Were they yummie?

Kate. I'm so sorry. I'm glad you have that pic though.

Kate - I'm sorry about your cousin. That would be nice, to become a member partly in memory of her.
    Just Midge

I think it's too big a word for most people. But then, I give most people very little credit.

Kate, I'm sorry for your loss.

I confess I'm a little bummed. DH has never missed a single midwife appointment, ever, before this pregnancy. But, because we have Oscar to care for he's missed a few this time (genetic testing, etc) and that's OKAY but it's bumming me out a bit. Like today, simple midwife appt, but I have to leave the boys at home because O is sick. Sigh.

I went though similar emotions when I was pregnant with Conner. Even though it was ok, a part of me would have liked Rich to be there for all the appointments.

We're very far from those days now. Rich packed his truck last night & I don't know if I'll see him tonight or not. We're officially at the lowest point we've been in in 15 years...and back then, we split for 11 months.

Chrissy I'm sorry If there's anything I can do, let me know.

Stash - Danny has been to ONE midwife appointment this time. He was at every single one with Annie. And I take Annie with me to all of them too - which is totally fine, my midwife has tons of toys right in the room that we meet in - so it's perfect for that situation...but still...I'm like "really Danny, one appointment the whole time?" Oh well - babymoon is over.

Today is a sad day - we just put the cat down. The vet came over, and that was that. I sat with Annie watching T.V. while it was done in the other room - didn't really know what the appropriate thing was to do with her...she's not old enough to understand - but I'm also all about being 100% open about everything, I just went with my stomach on that one. But it made me feel bad that Danny didn't have me next to him also...can't win. Danny's up in the garden burying him now - I think I'll go buy a plant to put next to him today.
    Just Midge

Awww Midge I'm so sorry. Today is just a sad day all around.

What you said about taking Anne to all your midwife appointments reminded me of when I had to take Bobbie with me when I was pregnant with Jessica. It was only once, but my provider definitely had ideas about a pregnant 18 year old that already had a toddler. She was exasperated with me and said quite snot-ily, "What are you going to do with 2?" It would be interesting to see how she'd be if I were 28 in that scenario.

I'd like to tell her now, after the fact, that I did quite well with 2, thank you.

good grief. So little credit is given to young mothers - I hate that.
    Just Midge

27. Default

Were they yummie?
    Im lame and fell asleep right after dinner, so I didn't eat them... I'll try them tonight after work.

Sorry about your kitty Midge

Josh and I had a short, interesting conversation like the one we were all talking about a while back, about knowing where your food comes from. Josh asked for a bowl of soup, the Campbells one with Dora shapes. I had some sardines and crackers. About halfway through, he didn't want his soup anymore and asked for fishies and crackers. So I opened another tin and he chowed down. Then he asked "Are these the same fish as the ones in the water?" and I said yes they are. He said oh! and kept eating. Then, laughing, he asked me if fish fly, or if they walk around. LOL

I love those conversations!!

Bobbie was saying the other day how she loves watching Conner's language develop, and when he has a light-bulb moment when he realizes how something works or what something means. I love how she loves him.

Aww. I wish I thought I could handle another one. I'd love to see Josh be a big brother.
    That reminds me...every month when I tell DH I got my period, he says "Congratulations" or "Well, there are worse things." It really kills me and I finally told him to stop saying that stuff. Yes, every month I am glad I'm not pregnant...but at the same time, if I were in a better state of mental health, I'd love another one.
    Oh and Chrissy, I'm really sorry you and Rich are at a low point. What's going on?