Page 374 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 2743243643723733743753763844244748741374 ... LastLast
Results 11,191 to 11,220 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

That really struck me too, Stacy, that he said that. I know that must have really struck a nerve with you. I don't know what I'd do if Josh said something like that. I know he wouldn't mean it but...ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    Cool. I can't help but be haunted by him wishing the baby dead.
    One of the ones I suggested might work well for you...I think it was the second link.

the amazon reviews were mixed. They either LOVED it or HATED it. Something about wanting to put mom in the garbage and kick the can....

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I confess...my body is soo tired! What the h*LL was I thinking wanting a big yard. After work I came home, changed clothes and went out to the house to water. I thought I could get away not going tonight since DH went this morning...but NOOOO had to be sunny and in the 90's.
    Yeah so over two hours later I at least had the front done and part of the back...had hoses going both front and back.

I have never really done yard work before. I usually worked in the house and my sister liked more yard work or if I was out there, I was cleaning the pool.

Who knew a hose that is 120 ft long could be so heavy????

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Darcy and Gran Don't Like Babies. That's the name of the book, Stacy. I think it does a wonderful job of validating how a child might feel when there is a new baby to contend with.
    Savana hated it when Kai came into our lives. She was so young. She was a really angry child for almost two years and I think it had a lot to do with Kai. It changed her. Now they are best friends.

Pregnancy hormones are the worst. They magnify everything.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Pregnancy hormones are the worst. They magnify everything.

Seriously. I've been crying off and on for stupid stuff for weeks now.

I had the greatest discovery this morning. My walmart photo account e-mailed to tell me it was expiring, so I went to it to see what was there...and apparently I had uploaded a crapton of pictures from last spring, and I had totally forgotten I had done so. The awesome part of this, is that I thought I had completely lost all photos of Annie other than the ones I had printed because some hack job worked on my computer and LOST all of the pictures because he was supposed to back them up BEFORE he worked on my computer, but he backed them up improperly, never checked his work, and the proceeded to wipe my hard drive.

So I got two full months back of pictures that I thought were gone forever!!! I ordered prints, AND had a disc made.

Everyone- go back up.
    Just Midge

Yay for getting your pics!!!

And yes, back-up. And save your work every 5 minutes while you're working on a document. Just saying.

Bobbie is certified in adult cpr. I didn't even know she was taking the classes! It made me realize how 'old' she is. It's kinda sad, actually. For me. Not her...I'm happy for her of course!!

Lydia

My wonderful husband bought me a Canon 580 EX II Speedlite flash last night for my birthday. Which technically isn't until 8 June, but he's not going to make me wait to play with it. I'm going to load it up with batteries tonight and take it for a spin.

Thank you so much for the recommendation!!
    Krista & Jonathan: Liam, our one and only, born 9 Sep 2008

9. Default

Awwww Jonathan!! Lucky you Krista!

I cant wait to see some practice pics!!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Quote Originally Posted by sunrider View Post
    Lydia

My wonderful husband bought me a Canon 580 EX II Speedlite flash last night for my birthday. Which technically isn't until 8 June, but he's not going to make me wait to play with it. I'm going to load it up with batteries tonight and take it for a spin.

Thank you so much for the recommendation!!
    That is excellent! One of my favorite ways to use it is to turn it up quite a bit, to +1 or +1 1/2 or +2 even, angle it up and to the right or left, and it creates this very bright, almost overblown look.

11. Default

I confess Audri has been calling me "Ash" instead of "Momma" all morning... Already????? She's growing up too fast.

Wanted to confess that I was overjoyed that Ky got into the charter school that I was hoping he could attend. It will have a 6:1 ratio of students to teachers. The principal came over yesterday to introduce himself and answer any questions we might have about the school. He said they would be open to suggestions about certain events or subjects that we as parents think would benefit the students outside of the general curriculum. "Anything but Bible Study or something like that though," and then looked like he maybe had offended us and looked apologetic, but I was happy to hear that!! He looked kind of relived when I told him how good of a thing that was. He said a couple parents have mentioned having a Bible study class, so I'm starting to worry about PTA there though.

Erin

They can have Bible Study in Sunday school.

Yup.
    Just Midge

Or in Vacation Bible School.
    Though doesn't sound like a vacation thing to do to me!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

For some reason a lot of people get mad when you tell them to have Bible study at church. I think they just want to have Bible study everywhere no matter who else doesn't want to participate in their plans. I'm hoping only one or two families mentioned this though. It is a public charter school so I don't even know why someone would mention something like that.

Erin

17. Default

speaking of bible studies, I need to vent for a second...

We have a group that meets in the cafe where I work for their bible study once a week. ( Im so glad I dont work that shift!) The kid that does work it said they are really rude and rather disrespectful. They take up every table and chair and usually only one of them buys something... They dont pay anything to use the space either, and when the cafe is full like that it really screws with our sales.. which we in turn get chewed out for... ugh..

in other confessions - I pass KFC everyday on my way to work, and they have the scrolling ticker under their sign that is advertising the new Double Down... They spelled "sandwich" as "sanwhich" and it irritates me every time I see it...

6:1 ratio is amazing. I hope they don't blow it by having bible study. But he said that wouldn't fly, right?

I'm back from my trip to the cabin with my family. God I missed my kids. I do not enjoy that much time away from them yet. My mom is like a different woman. All of a sudden she is being critical of my parenting. She asked me with scorn if the kids were sleeping in their own beds yet. So so strange because she has been nothing but supportive of all my parenting choices and always told me what a great mom I am. So I can't help but wonder if she was just always biting her tongue or if she's just totally in another world now. Blah.
    I am really excited because I ordered a bunch of teaching materials from a montessori magazine and it was all here when I got home. I spent too much money but, eh, I'll go another month without getting my hair done or going out to eat. I can always justify how I spend my money! It is a very special talent.

Bridget, I wouldn't take any of that to heart. My understanding is that a lot of the palliative care medications can cause changes is personality, bringing out aggression and/or anger that wouldn't normally be there. Try not to let that stick in your head.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Oh Bridget I'm sure she's just not herself. I know it's not the same thing, but my great-grandmother started cussing like a sailor when she was in the final stages of dementia. She said things we didn't even think she knew what they meant. It's so heartbreaking to witness something like that. And must be especially painful when the criticism is directed at you and something so personal to you.

You know your kids are wonderful. That in itself should be all the encouragement you need to just continue on.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I agree with both Katie and Chrissy. And a lot of times cancer itself and pain itself can result in personality changes. It's not like "in vino veritas" where it's the true, inner feelings coming out. It can be a complete shift. For as long as you've been a mother, you know she thought you were a wonderful mother. Hold that knowledge and don't let one comment change your memories.

Quote Originally Posted by katycat24 View Post
    Bridget, I wouldn't take any of that to heart. My understanding is that a lot of the palliative care medications can cause changes is personality, bringing out aggression and/or anger that wouldn't normally be there. Try not to let that stick in your head.
    Really? I didn't know that. Thank you for that information. I'm really confused about what is a side effect of the medicine and what might be a side effect of cancer coming back to her brain.
    Oh Bridget I'm sure she's just not herself. I know it's not the same thing, but my great-grandmother started cussing like a sailor when she was in the final stages of dementia. She said things we didn't even think she knew what they meant. It's so heartbreaking to witness something like that. And must be especially painful when the criticism is directed at you and something so personal to you.

You know your kids are wonderful. That in itself should be all the encouragement you need to just continue on.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    I agree with both Katie and Chrissy. And a lot of times cancer itself and pain itself can result in personality changes. It's not like "in vino veritas" where it's the true, inner feelings coming out. It can be a complete shift. For as long as you've been a mother, you know she thought you were a wonderful mother. Hold that knowledge and don't let one comment change your memories.
    Another good thing to know. She's actually made several comments lately directed towards me and I take great comfort in knowing that it's a normal side effect and that it likely is no indication of her true feelings. It was scaring me.

Now Lydia would be the one to know better than I, but I have heard that morphine based painkillers can have that affect.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Yes, the drugs can induce personality changes also. However, I was just looking up something to actually prove it, and saw a discussion forum with a lot of people talking about their loved ones displaying irritability, anger, mean comments, and a total personality shift with/after cancer treatment. Although it's very common to have that happen due to drugs or other treatment, a couple of people also talked about metastases to the brain. I don't want to worry you, but also thought I'd mention that possibility. Do you know if she has had an MRI? It might be worth bringing up to your dad or her doctors, but who knows if it would be good to know one way or the other if she doesn't want to attempt any more treatment.

Bridget. I'm so sorry you're going through this.

Also, Bridget, depending on which area of the brain is affected can lead to significant changes as well. You know how your mother really feels.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Hugs of support to Bridget.
    Hugs of congrats to Erin for Ky's new school (and boo to bible study)
    Hugs to Ashley for the crap she deals with at work

And I didn't get to play with my flash tonight. I have to leave 2 hours early tomorrow morning to drive to Columbia MO for a computer class, so I spent the evening getting things ready. And then not sleeping. Getting a cold and have a tickle at the back of my throat that won't quit and a brain that won't slow down. It's almost 2 am, I haven't even slept 5 minutes, and my alarm clock is set for 5:15 am. Frak me, this Wednesday is going to suck donkey balls.
    Krista & Jonathan: Liam, our one and only, born 9 Sep 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    Yes, the drugs can induce personality changes also. However, I was just looking up something to actually prove it, and saw a discussion forum with a lot of people talking about their loved ones displaying irritability, anger, mean comments, and a total personality shift with/after cancer treatment. Although it's very common to have that happen due to drugs or other treatment, a couple of people also talked about metastases to the brain. I don't want to worry you, but also thought I'd mention that possibility. Do you know if she has had an MRI? It might be worth bringing up to your dad or her doctors, but who knows if it would be good to know one way or the other if she doesn't want to attempt any more treatment.

Bridget. I'm so sorry you're going through this.
    Her cancer did metastases to her brain about a year ago. They were able to shrink the tumor to almost nothing with radiation. I asked my dad yesterday if he thought some of her behavior could be explained by the possibility of the tumor growing in her brain and he said he thought yes. I also asked if she'd have another mri and he said no, that it would serve no purpose. I feel like I really want to know but of course it's not about me. And I guess he is right. What good would it do?
    Last edited by Bridget; 05-26-2010 at 05:05 AM.

How's your dad holding up? I can only imagine how difficult it must be for him.