Page 369 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 2693193593673683693703713794194698691369 ... LastLast
Results 11,041 to 11,070 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

If you're ok with it, I'd wait till he acts like he's uncomfortable. That's so rough. We had to put a cat down last year and I hated to do it. It still bugs me and every once in a while Sydney mentions him It always makes me sad.

I just read a memo about the future of IT here...and in a nutshell my job is ok for a year at least, but they are moving toward a new structure and will cut IT positions from 2011-2015. Ugh.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Poor kitty. Dbf had a cat and shortly before Savana was born I had take her in to be put down. She was 13 years old and not eating or able to control her bowels. We weren't close. She didn't really like me. But I still stayed with her until she passed and it was very sad to watch her life slip away. I'm sorry you're at that point.

I confess I posted this in NFL but the USDA food rep did a surprise visit at the daycare today and it went so fabulous and she made me feel so great. I've recently been trying to do some more montessori based ideas and switched out all of my plastic dishes for glass. So she got to watch my two year olds set the table, pour their own milk, and eat my homemade organic soup and bread. They were all, "Please pass the..." and "may I have more..." and "May I be excused" She was so impressed and gave me a huge verbal pat on the back for having such a great program. I'm not gonna lie. It feels really, really good.

Yay Bridget! You reap what you sow...those children are impressionable and you've definitely made a positive impact on them!!

That's great Bridget!
    I'm so sorry about your kitty Midge. If it were me I'd probably let it live until it seemed uncomfortable, too.

5. Default

I confess ---

Quote Originally Posted by atenielle View Post
    I am pissed off to the point of tears...

I finally got ahold of someone from the Clerks office...

Apparently the girl I filed with lied to me when I asked if I needed to take the packet to the post office and mail it certified mail.. She told me no, they would mail it with the summons, and other papers that I filed at the same time. I asked her "Are you SURE?" and she said yes..

The girl that I just spoke with said NO, they don't mail anything unless I provide the envelope and means to mail it...which of course makes sense, and is why I asked her TWICE to be sure I didn't need to mail it.

()*&!#%y)$(*^t*)@($%)&*&)!@($#*

SO he wasn't lying when he said he didn't get the papers...

Oh no!! That stinks big-time!

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    And than back to dog food, trying to not give her too much. She has been on the phenibarbitol for a little over a week. It has definitely increased her appetite. Before I had just put food in the dish and when it was empty I refilled, I never had to watch her amounts and for 6.5 years, she has had a healthy weight. I feel bad thinking she might be hungry and doesn't have food in her dish and she can't open the cabinet and help herself like I do. I talked to the vet on Friday and thankfully it seems like she is eating a bit more like she used to. I think that she probably gained like 1 lb last week though! She was noticeably heavier when we picked her up. When you are only 21.5 lbs, a little gain is noticeable.
    Freya was on super doses of prednisone for many months to suppress her immune system. She was hungry and thirsty all the time and even controlling her food she chunked out big time. From 13 lbs to just over 18 lbs - like a sausage with legs. It was hard to know she was hungry and I just couldn't feed her any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    As for a Mac...not sure if I could be converted. Too many of our games are all PC.

Now for my iPod...that I LOVE. And I would like an iPad...but since we are doing the house thing, it will have to wait.
    If you get one of the Macbook Pro models you can install Windows on it, too and run all of your PC games. I know this as fact as Jonathan has one and has PC games he's not willing to give up to have a Mac.

I'm ready to convert - just a matter of the money to buy me one.
    Krista & Jonathan: Liam, our one and only, born 9 Sep 2008

Midge, so sorry about your kitty. I would also wait until he seemed uncomfortable and stopped eating.

Bridget, if/when I have children, I want you to care for them!

Ashley, that SUCKS! So sorry!
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Midge, we had to deal with this in the past two years with two elderly cats (17 and 19). With both of them, when they weren't eating anymore and were clearly in pain, I put them down. It was really tough, but you know when the right time is. If they're still eating and are getting around some, it's okay in my opinion. Once they start to visibly decline, it's time to help them go peacefully. I'm sorry - this really sucks. It was very hard for Oscar with the second cat. He was a little over two and sort of understood that she was dying and that we had to help her die because it wasn't fair to let her be in pain, but man was it hard.

And Bridget YAY! That rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by sunrider View Post
    If you get one of the Macbook Pro models you can install Windows on it, too and run all of your PC games. I know this as fact as Jonathan has one and has PC games he's not willing to give up to have a Mac.

I'm ready to convert - just a matter of the money to buy me one.
    You can do that with any Mac, but I'm not a gamer so...it's just a geeky-brag-right if I do it. I've set up my PC's to dual boot Linux just 'cause before. ;) We actually have multiple machines that are Macs in my building that have XP also installed (with Fusion) because some programs are set for PC only and that's one workaround for Mac users. It beats having an old PC box as a remote machine for people to log into.

I simply like playing with different OS's. I guess that's why I do what I do.
    Last edited by missychrissy; 05-17-2010 at 07:54 PM.

It's pretty quiet here today...what's everyone up to?

I went to the gym with Josh then we came home and had lunch and we're just bumming around. It's rainy and kinda cold out.

When I went to pick up Josh from the child care at the gym she said he was really social today. He spent the whole time playing with the other kids instead of being off on his own like he usually is. On the way out, one of the older kids called out to him "Bye buddy!" It was really cute.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    I went to the gym with Josh then we came home and had lunch and we're just bumming around. It's rainy and kinda cold out.

When I went to pick up Josh from the child care at the gym she said he was really social today. He spent the whole time playing with the other kids instead of being off on his own like he usually is. On the way out, one of the older kids called out to him "Bye buddy!" It was really cute.
    Aww that is really cute. I love it when little kids are "buddies."
    Janeen - 30, Jimi - 42; Married October 21st, 2006;

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I hosted another playdate! I can't believe how much entertaining I've been doing in the past week since my C-Section. Some friends from out of town are here, and they brought their children over for a visit on the spur of the moment. They were impressed with my ability to read a book to three 3-year-olds while nursing a baby, and admired how clean my house was. I was happy to see them and happy to have the twins well-occupied for several hours. I'm feeling so capable right now!

I had a few moments yesterday when my prioritization skills were put to the test. And I ended up picking up 30 pounds of toddler more than a few times, which in retrospect was a big mistake. I was super-sore this morning. So I was glad to have a cheerful and relaxing morning.

WTG Lydia! Don't hurt yourself though, okay?

We're still on vacation, getting ready to come home day after tomorrow. I'm hoping we get one last day at the beach tomorrow without jellyfish and riptides. If not, we'll just hang by the pool (oh the horror). I'm freakin' huge.

I confess I'm going to have to have a very unpleasant conversation soon. One of the children I work with has a degenerative disease, and she is gradually losing what skills she has. I need to initiate a conversation about changing her communication system to accommodate limitations that didn't used to be there. I don't know how the parents are going to react. This really sucks.

I'm sorry Mandy, both for you and that family What does she have?

Rett's Syndrome. She is in Stage II. I am considering using an eye gaze system with her because she can no longer use her hands well enough to do an open palm hit on a 6" wide button for a communication device.

How sweet!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    I hosted another playdate! I can't believe how much entertaining I've been doing in the past week since my C-Section. Some friends from out of town are here, and they brought their children over for a visit on the spur of the moment. They were impressed with my ability to read a book to three 3-year-olds while nursing a baby, and admired how clean my house was. I was happy to see them and happy to have the twins well-occupied for several hours. I'm feeling so capable right now!

I had a few moments yesterday when my prioritization skills were put to the test. And I ended up picking up 30 pounds of toddler more than a few times, which in retrospect was a big mistake. I was super-sore this morning. So I was glad to have a cheerful and relaxing morning.
    Oh goodness Lydia! Take it easy! You are allowed to rest, ya know!

Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    We're still on vacation, getting ready to come home day after tomorrow. I'm hoping we get one last day at the beach tomorrow without jellyfish and riptides. If not, we'll just hang by the pool (oh the horror). I'm freakin' huge.
    Jealous. I hope the riptides & jellyfish stay away.

Quote Originally Posted by gwennero View Post
    I confess I'm going to have to have a very unpleasant conversation soon. One of the children I work with has a degenerative disease, and she is gradually losing what skills she has. I need to initiate a conversation about changing her communication system to accommodate limitations that didn't used to be there. I don't know how the parents are going to react. This really sucks.
    Rett's Syndrome. She is in Stage II. I am considering using an eye gaze system with her because she can no longer use her hands well enough to do an open palm hit on a 6" wide button for a communication device.
    I can't imagine how difficult that must be.

That's very sad. What's an eye gaze system? I hope you don't mind answering all these questions...this kind of stuff interests me.

There are different models and I will have to leave it up to a different state agency to decide which is best for her as they will provide funding (I very much hope) to pay for it - I will just push to get the ball rolling. But there are computerized devices that you can program with words and phrases to use. She has one now but can't access it because she can't control her hand movements enough to isolate a finger and press the button. So I moved back to the separate buttons that she could hit with an open palm to use as a teaching tool and she made some progress than stopped and now she's below where she was when I started with that. I am thinking of a different computer device that would have an infrared beam or laser that would attach to her head. The computer could read where she directed it, like a remote control. Although I have my concerns about whether cognitively she could grasp that ... no way to know and it's a lot of money so I don't have any on hand to experiment with. I've never used an eye-gaze before.

I'm thinking of something like this.

No problem ... it's my passion so I can understand it interests you!
    Last edited by Gwenn; 05-18-2010 at 06:00 PM.

Wow, it just blows my mind that they've come up with that kind of technology.

Wow, it just blows my mind that they've come up with that kind of technology.
    Pretty cool, huh? Not the technology itself but teaching the use of it and the beginnings of how to communicate is what I like best, and I believe it's what I do best. Very cool stuff. It's so great there are techies out there working on the hardware so I can do what I do ... but honestly there's still a long way to go until we get where we need to be.

Actually this one is different than I thought ... don't know how much detail you looked at but the reader actually measures the gaze of her eye without a separate attachment on her head ... even more cool. It can be set to respond to blink or prolonged gaze. The old generation had a remote attachment at the head but I've fallen behind the times I can see!

We have good friends whose daughter has Rett's. It is really hard because it is do incredibly physically debilitating, but the brain is seemingly there- this little girl is locked in a non-functioning body.
    Last edited by girlwonder; 05-18-2010 at 07:59 PM.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Quote Originally Posted by katycat24 View Post
    We have good friends whose daughter has Rett's. It is really hard because it is do incredibly physically debilitating, but the brain is seemingly there- this little girl is locked in a non-functioning body.
    It's a horrible, horrible thing. So unfair.

Actually this one is different than I thought ... don't know how much detail you looked at but the reader actually measures the gaze of her eye without a separate attachment on her head ... even more cool. It can be set to respond to blink or prolonged gaze. The old generation had a remote attachment at the head but I've fallen behind the times I can see!
    Wow!

I confess that my dad rented a cabin up north sat-thurs of this coming week. My brother and I are driving up on sunday and staying through tues and our older brother will be up at some point as well. My dad says my mom won't likely remember the trip for long once it's over but that we just need to enjoy the moments. It hasn't been just the five of us, well, since my older brother got married 10 years ago. It may never be again. It will be very bittersweeet. And I am looking forward to it.