Page 358 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 2583083483563573583593603684084588581358 ... LastLast
Results 10,711 to 10,740 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

  1. #10711

    Default

    I confess that I am so freakin' tired all the time this week (hello pregnant) and I'm trying to get us ready to go on a two week business-and-fun trip tomorrow and I have no motivation to finish packing. Thank goodness DH has been stepping it up lately and he's got a lot of it under control... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....



  2. #10712
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Aurora, CO
    Posts
    20,072

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    I confess that I am so freakin' tired all the time this week (hello pregnant) and I'm trying to get us ready to go on a two week business-and-fun trip tomorrow and I have no motivation to finish packing. Thank goodness DH has been stepping it up lately and he's got a lot of it under control... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....
    I took a three hour nap today. It made me feel so lazy!
    Janeen - 30, Jimi - 42; Married October 21st, 2006;


  3. #10713

    Default

    Yeah but Janeen, you're like nearly in LABOR. You have an excuse. I still have 23 weeks to go



  4. #10714

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    Nurses are no more competent than doctors. In my opinion, most PEOPLE, no matter their profession, are incompetent. Sorry to say that's my world view, but it is. I work with too many highly trained idiots to feel otherwise.
    Oh, I totally agree with you, and that's why a group like that makes me mad. Everyone makes mistakes, and everyone has bad days.
    No one is perfect, and so that's why it bothers me that nurses are held in such high regard when they can make mistakes too. Like I said, I have no problem with nurses whatsoever - I've had some great ones as a patient (also some bad ones) - but maybe I'm just biased.

    Quote Originally Posted by Janeen View Post
    For someone who rarely goes and sees a doctor (except now of course)...I actually love doctors. Especially funny and down to earth ones that I can laugh and get a long with. I think they are absolutely brilliant people most of the time. I think about all of the information they have to keep in their noggins and all of the continued education they have to have which must be 10 thousand times what a nurse goes through and I think it's amazing.

    As much as I hated my microbiology professor as a teacher, I don't think I would mind working for him in a nurse/doctor setting. He was pretty funny and he is brilliant for sure, told it like it is and talked nice about nurses as well...he just crammed too much info into every test! LOL
    4 years of college, 4 years of med school, x amount of years residency training (depending on specialty), fellowship training and then you become a full fledged doctor who can have their own practice. It's insane.

    I love docs who have a sense of humor and are downright personable.. and I think they are the ones mostly who are still young and working in healthcare hasn't jaded them yet.

    Since you took Micro.. did you have to wear something to cover your nose during that class?? My mom works in a lab, and every time those Micro doors open.. oh goodness. I can see things, I can touch things.. but if they smell bad I get sick. I'm gonna need to work on that!
    Lauren (24) Clinton (30) - my life, my rock Praying for all the APA girls! My Blog

  5. #10715
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Aurora, CO
    Posts
    20,072

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by addysonreese View Post
    Oh, I totally agree with you, and that's why a group like that makes me mad. Everyone makes mistakes, and everyone has bad days.
    No one is perfect, and so that's why it bothers me that nurses are held in such high regard when they can make mistakes too. Like I said, I have no problem with nurses whatsoever - I've had some great ones as a patient (also some bad ones) - but maybe I'm just biased.



    4 years of college, 4 years of med school, x amount of years residency training (depending on specialty), fellowship training and then you become a full fledged doctor who can have their own practice. It's insane.

    I love docs who have a sense of humor and are downright personable.. and I think they are the ones mostly who are still young and working in healthcare hasn't jaded them yet.

    Since you took Micro.. did you have to wear something to cover your nose during that class?? My mom works in a lab, and every time those Micro doors open.. oh goodness. I can see things, I can touch things.. but if they smell bad I get sick. I'm gonna need to work on that!
    Once you get into practicing though, the education never ends. Health care is constantly changing and advances are constantly being made. There is ALWAYS something new to learn. That's what I mean, it's never-ending and pretty much a life of shoving more and more information into your brain and knowing what old stuff to throw out and what new stuff to replace it with. UGH, that's how I envision being a doctor, nursing will be enough for me...I don't think I could ever handle it. LOL

    That's why they call it "practicing" medicine...there is no one who knows it all and can stop learning.

    No we didn't even dissect anything in micro or anything like that. We just made slides and looked at them under the microscope and stuff like that. We messed with lamb and pig parts in Anatomy and Physiology though and those had a little stench to them.
    Janeen - 30, Jimi - 42; Married October 21st, 2006;


  6. #10716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Janeen View Post
    Once you get into practicing though, the education never ends. Health care is constantly changing and advances are constantly being made. There is ALWAYS something new to learn. That's what I mean, it's never-ending and pretty much a life of shoving more and more information into your brain and knowing what old stuff to throw out and what new stuff to replace it with. UGH, that's how I envision being a doctor, nursing will be enough for me...I don't think I could ever handle it. LOL

    That's why they call it "practicing" medicine...there is no one who knows it all and can stop learning.

    No we didn't even dissect anything in micro or anything like that. We just made slides and looked at them under the microscope and stuff like that. We messed with lamb and pig parts in Anatomy and Physiology though and those had a little stench to them.
    Ooh, okay. I'll probably have to learn how to function breathing through my mouth

    I totally agree about the learning. It's never-ending. And the licensing exam.. oh goodness. It's cut into 3 sections and it makes me sweat just thinking about it! haha

    For me though, I love learning. I'm always interested in how things evolve and how we can make them better, and I think that will be the most challenging and rewarding thing about the profession I want.
    Lauren (24) Clinton (30) - my life, my rock Praying for all the APA girls! My Blog

  7. #10717

    Default

    I've had my share of hospital time...I've had some great nurses, some not great ones, some great doctors, some not great ones...and a few really great volunteers...I agree it is just people...some suck, others don't. LOL
    I remember one guy who was a volunteer in the kids playroom. After I played in there pre-op, he kept coming back to my room post-op and he would play cards with me, talk to me, etc. He was just a teenager, and so sweet. I had a crush on him LOL. He wrote me the sweetest note before I left--I collected signatures and well wishes from the doctors, nurses and other people who worked with me during my stay-- and I still have it in a scrapbook.
    It helps me remember that no matter who you are and what you do, you can have a big effect on someone.

  8. #10718
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,671

    Default

    I work with nurses and doctors and most of them are great. neither group is better than the other and anyone can make mistakes.

    One interesting thing a nurse pointed out to me that is so true is that when one comes to the hospital and stays here, they are not here for doctor care...they could get that at a surgery or an appointment....what they are actually hospitalized for is nursing care.

    Nurses and doctors...two totally different groups with different goals and approaches (both to care for the patient but how it's done is very different). doctors care about drugs and surgeries and therapies....nurses it's about the human response.

    For something normal, I would rather see a nurse practitioner or APN over an MD if I can.......

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  9. #10719
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Aurora, CO
    Posts
    20,072

    Default

    I think breathing through your mouth makes it worse!!! LOL, ick!
    Janeen - 30, Jimi - 42; Married October 21st, 2006;


  10. #10720
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Janeen View Post

    That's why they call it "practicing" medicine...there is no one who knows it all and can stop learning.

    .
    Helps give the medical librarians like me some job security. Always more research needed.

    Crummy part is that it is NOT cheap replacing medical books all the time!

    And yeah in this field we ALL end up doing a lot of CE.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  11. #10721
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Aurora, CO
    Posts
    20,072

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    Yeah but Janeen, you're like nearly in LABOR. You have an excuse. I still have 23 weeks to go
    I was trying to remember at what weekage I was when I could sleep ALL. DAY. LONG....seriously, I never made it to work before noon during that time and I think it was during the second trimester because everyone (including me) was like "Aren't you supposed to be getting more energy now???"
    Janeen - 30, Jimi - 42; Married October 21st, 2006;


  12. #10722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Nurses and doctors...two totally different groups with different goals and approaches (both to care for the patient but how it's done is very different). doctors care about drugs and surgeries and therapies....nurses it's about the human response.
    I don't agree with the above statement, but I'll just leave it at that.
    Lauren (24) Clinton (30) - my life, my rock Praying for all the APA girls! My Blog

  13. #10723

    Default

    Okay.. I was watching TV.. and there was an El Paso commercial on.. you know, for the tacos and seasoning and all.. and they always have this dilemma.. soft or hard tacos, etc. And the three year old ALWAYS has the answer and they lift him or her up and celebrate.

    I just find it really funny, and I'm not sure why.
    Lauren (24) Clinton (30) - my life, my rock Praying for all the APA girls! My Blog

  14. #10724
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Aurora, CO
    Posts
    20,072

    Default

    lol yeah I have seen that commercial a few times.

    Ya know what one cracks me up all the time? The Baskin Robbins commercial with the ice cream cakes and it has the little cake toppers rocking back forth to a song that goes "Ice cream and cakey cake, ice cream and cakey cake. Ice cream and cake do the ice cream and cake!"

    sing it all the time and everyone else thinks it's so annoying. I just like the way the song is done...who knows if I even have the words right.
    Janeen - 30, Jimi - 42; Married October 21st, 2006;


  15. #10725

    Default

    I was just in the bathroom for quite a while and I left Josh in front of the tv. When I came back he'd dumped out my purse, opened 2 lipsticks, and drew with them all over the couch and his Mickey doll and my compact mirror. Guess he got bored. He usually doesn't care about much else when the tv is on.

  16. #10726
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Aurora, CO
    Posts
    20,072

    Default

    oooo bummer!
    Janeen - 30, Jimi - 42; Married October 21st, 2006;


  17. #10727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Janeen View Post
    lol yeah I have seen that commercial a few times.

    Ya know what one cracks me up all the time? The Baskin Robbins commercial with the ice cream cakes and it has the little cake toppers rocking back forth to a song that goes "Ice cream and cakey cake, ice cream and cakey cake. Ice cream and cake do the ice cream and cake!"

    sing it all the time and everyone else thinks it's so annoying. I just like the way the song is done...who knows if I even have the words right.
    I know that commercial!! I sing along too.. for some reason though, it seems like they added more lyrics, and it totally sounds like "Why would your boy not slip and slide?"

    I'm probably soo off base but I'm telling you that's what I hear.
    Lauren (24) Clinton (30) - my life, my rock Praying for all the APA girls! My Blog

  18. #10728
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by addysonreese View Post
    I don't agree with the above statement, but I'll just leave it at that.

    Ok maybe I didn't explain it very well. I am not in any way saying that doctors do not care....it's more in the approach and how they think.

    A doctor doing research will generally be doing something like a double blind controlled drug study. It's more a form of research that I was familiar with. Research with drugs or surgeries. A doctor will be looking for things in evidence based medicine.

    I never even heard of "human response" as a search term until I started working with nurses doing research. I might do a search on say the signs of imminent death or prevention of falls or prevention of pressure ulcers. A nurse will be looking for evidence based practice.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  19. #10729
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,671

    Default

    Oh Kate what a mess!

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  20. #10730
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Aurora, CO
    Posts
    20,072

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by addysonreese View Post
    I know that commercial!! I sing along too.. for some reason though, it seems like they added more lyrics, and it totally sounds like "Why would your boy not slip and slide?"

    I'm probably soo off base but I'm telling you that's what I hear.
    Dang it, the only words coming to mind are slip and slide...I'm going to have to catch it next time and let you know what I think lol
    Janeen - 30, Jimi - 42; Married October 21st, 2006;


  21. #10731

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Ok maybe I didn't explain it very well. I am not in any way saying that doctors do not care....it's more in the approach and how they think.

    A doctor doing research will generally be doing something like a double blind controlled drug study. It's more a form of research that I was familiar with. Research with drugs or surgeries. A doctor will be looking for things in evidence based medicine.

    I never even heard of "human response" as a search term until I started working with nurses doing research. I might do a search on say the signs of imminent death or prevention of falls or prevention of pressure ulcers. A nurse will be looking for evidence based practice.
    It also depends on what the doctor is required to do. For instance, a neurosurgery resident is required to have two years of research.. so obviously they are going to do something that has to do with their field, and it might be very limited, as some subspecialty fields are very limited. Furthermore, a lot of research that doctors do always has something to do with patient/human response.

    Nurses have specialties, yes, but they are probably not required to do that research, and so they can decide to do what they want because they don't have something dictating what they have to accomplish before becoming full fledged in their practice.

    I'm not saying that all doctors are better than nurses, or that they've never at fault. They are. But you never hear of a nurse being sued because a patient got a wound infection after surgery.. when infection is the number one risk of surgery. Always has been, and always will be. Being a doctor of any type is never an easy job, and neither is being a nurse. But both have reasons for it being difficult. I just don't feel that nurses should be held in higher regard because they picked something up that a doctor didn't. And I don't feel that doctors always need to be held in higher regard because of the volume of information they have or the years of school they went through. Every individual is different.
    Lauren (24) Clinton (30) - my life, my rock Praying for all the APA girls! My Blog

  22. #10732
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,671

    Default

    Grrr....got home only to find the burgers i was going to cook for dinner were icky. I don't know what happened, the meat looked good when I froze and I defrosted in the frig but they were all very ugly brown. I didn't have anything else ready or planned so it was either frozen pizza or burger king so DH opted to run to burger king....so we had asparagus and burger king. LOL


    This was after I ran to the house after work only to find that they locked it. Our builder gave us a key but Dh had it on his ring at home and we hadn't gotten a second copy made yet. But I have the key now since I'm the one always heading over and checking on the progress and making sure things are looking right and taking pictures.
    Now I will have to try to make another trip over tomorrow to get pictures.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  23. #10733
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,855

    Default

    DH just sent me a very sweet email that kind of made me want to cry. Then he called me and said he just sent me a silly email that didn't really say anything except rambling. But it was very sweet. Do men really think that much differently, or was he just embarrassed of it after the fact?
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  24. #10734

    Default

    Sorry the meat went bad Jennifer!


    I dunno Mandy, what kind of stuff did it say?

    I think women are much more emotional than men...we take things to heart a lot more than men, who just say stuff without really realizing the effect or how it comes out. (both good and bad, LOL)

  25. #10735
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    11,236

    Default

    I don't know either Mandy. I'm guessing the latter.

    I confess that once again, I can't sleep. I really need to cut back on the coffee.


  26. #10736
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,855

    Default

    This is basically it, but I edited out stuff about his paycheck and clearances and his location.

    Hey Honey,

    I hope that all is well with you and the animals. I will be calling shortly but had the opportunity to send off a quick email and thought I should take advantage of it.(Although I am not sure when I will be able to get back and check it again)

    Camp XXX is actually pretty nice if not a bit dated. It has a few advantages for me like this "web cafe" actually a computer lab with very old slow machines (making aol just about impossible). But the post is lush, green and quite picturesque. We are only to be here for a few days or so if things work out and then we will return to Florida.

    Of course I think of you often to constantly and miss you very much. Let me know how your work is going and how you are leaning about moving etc. Tampa was actually kind of like San Diego in some ways. This area is somewhere you might like to visit but it is not very cosmopolitan.

    Chow is good and as you may imagine it is actually nice to not have to think much about it.

    Anyways, I love you very much, give the dogs an extra chewie and belly rub from me and scratch the cat. Talk to you soon and always remember I love you.
    I thought that was very sweet! Usually he's more emotional than I am, but he doesn't always communicate it as much.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  27. #10737
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    11,236

    Default

    That is really sweet Mandy! How are you doing with him being away?


  28. #10738
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,855

    Default

    I'm hanging in there. It was such a shock when he found out he was going and then had to go for training 2 days later that I think most of my shock was worked out of the system then. I miss him but now it's been building for such a long time it's more like when you were a kid and had to go back to school but didn't want to. You knew it was coming.

    I also think he hasn't been gone long enough yet for me to really feel it. Right now it's more like a long trip. In a few weeks it might feel more real. The real test will be when he actually goes overseas, of course.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  29. #10739

    Default

    I confess I'm outta here tomorrow for two weeks... work and play and I'm really looking forward to a break from the homestead.



  30. #10740
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Wow-I missed a lot!

    Sarah-I hope you have a great trip & I'm sure Mia will be just fine. My experience has been that trips away are far harder on me than my kids-at any age.

    Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    Auto got his name because we got him at a strip mall while DH was buying a new computer at Best Buy. They were having a shelter-pet-adoption day next door at the PetSmart and we got him there. Sat outside the Best Buy waiting for DH and when I asked Oscar what he wanted to name the cat, he looked at the automatic door and said "automatic door." I said "okay, Auto for short?" and he said yes. So there you have it, sportsfans...
    That's just an awesome story

    Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    Nurses are no more competent than doctors. In my opinion, most PEOPLE, no matter their profession, are incompetent. Sorry to say that's my world view, but it is. I work with too many highly trained idiots to feel otherwise.
    The good thing about this is that anyone can get a college degree. I say 'good' because when I was growing up, I was often told by my extended family (especially my Mom's side) that 'only really smart people go to college' or 'really rich people' (which we weren't). It didn't matter what the school teachers and administrators told me...I was conditioned to believe you had to have exceptional intelligence to go to college.

    When I worked at mental health, one of the therapists made a statement that I'll never forget, and have often repeated to my kids. She said that anyone with a functioning brain can achieve a college diploma. It fit in with what I'd learned at the mental health clinic too...I adored my coworkers, but some were definitely lacking in common sense and I wondered how the heck they ever got masters degrees. It totally went against everything I'd been told as a kid as needing to be smart to get one. :p

    Anyway, I know that's not what you were referring to by making that statement...but it's something that I use to encourage my kids to keep on in their education.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •