Page 351 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 2513013413493503513523533614014518511351 ... LastLast
Results 10,501 to 10,530 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

1. Default

You are such an awesome mom Chrissy..

I confess I am kind of upset...

I just found out that one of the boys in the nursery at my moms church had chicken pox, and his parents still brought him, and put him in the nursery without saying anything about the pox...
    Apparently he only got them on his back/chest/ and scalp, and was in the early scabbing stage... but still... Would it really kill you to skip church until your kid is TOTALLY over the chicken pox??

Quote Originally Posted by atenielle View Post
    You are such an awesome mom Chrissy..

I confess I am kind of upset...

I just found out that one of the boys in the nursery at my moms church had chicken pox, and his parents still brought him, and put him in the nursery without saying anything about the pox...
    Apparently he only got them on his back/chest/ and scalp, and was in the early scabbing stage... but still... Would it really kill you to skip church until your kid is TOTALLY over the chicken pox??

I'd be mad that she didn't say something...but I'd be super psyched to have Annie be exposed to the pox! The earlier the better because they're less severe the younger they are, so if your girls got it, it might be a blessing that they did, because then they'd have a much stronger immunity against them than the vaccine. But I can totally understand being upset and that mom totally should have left her kids home.

Mindy - That sucks about the budget cuts. It sounds like you won't have to worry about your job? But I feel really bad for all the kids that are so used to their school..having to switch. Such big changes for kids, so tough.

Chrissy - I think I'm just going to copy exactly what you've told your girls That's some of the best teen sex advice I've ever seen.
    Just Midge

I'd be furious that she didn't say anything about the pox too. Even though it's not likely they were contagious if they were scabbing up, the other mothers should have the choice of taking the risk or not. Who knows what other illnesses some children might have that actually catching chicken pox wouldn't be in the best interest of the child?

Speaking of chicken pox, I have to get on the phone with Sydney's school and go round with them about whether or not Sydney absolutely needs the vaccination. She had chicken pox-verified by the doctor, and the school is trying to insist she has to have the vaccine as well.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Chrissy, what do you plan to say to Connor about sex? (if you've even thought about it, LOL)
    I'm sorry your school is closing, Mandy

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    I confess that dh bought himself a toy--a set of lock picks and instructions. During a break from work today, he taught himself how to pick locks, and then promptly opened all of the doors on our house, deadbolts and all. I had no idea how cheap and easy it was to get access to someone's house.
    That's scary! Hopefully your DH is just more talented than most!

Though it seems where I live, a lot of people don't even lock up the house when they aren't home (coming from Milwaukee this was a huge shocker). So I'm hoping that between the dog (big ole fraidy cat she is...but she will bark like mad if you ring the bell or knock on the door) and the fact that we do lock our doors...maybe a burgler will move on to to someone else that is easier to get into.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I would flat out say, "I gotta go. I'll talk to you later." and hang up. If I weren't in the mood to deal with her 'later' when she called, I wouldn't answer the phone.
    That. I would screen my calls. Or I would just bust in and say, you know what, I REALLY need to use the bathroom. Gotta go. Bye.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by gwennero View Post
    if they were closing my school ... and they are closing my school.
    Oh no. I'm so sorry to hear that.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I'd so love to have chicken pox here. We thought we did a couple weeks ago because O's little buddy had contracted them and was over here the day before he spiked a fever, but O didn't get them. That said, I DIDN'T take him to his public events (classes) that week, or to playdates unless all moms knew he might have been exposed...

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Yup. We had a very low possibility of exposure to pertussis, and we didn't go anywhere around other people for about 10 days.

I hate to say this, but my sister is driving me crazy. She keeps calling me and without demonstrating any interest in my life whatsoever, she will spend literally hours discussing the ins and outs of her daughter's relationship with her first boyfriend. When I tell her it's not a good time or I can't talk, she doesn't listen and keeps talking. We used to have conversations like this but it was a two-way conversation. Now, she just talks and talks and I can't get a word in edge-wise, and the "conversation" if you can call it that is word-for-word the type of discussion you have with your girlfriends when you're 16. I just don't think it's healthy. With Kevin leaving Friday I feel like my time with him is limited and I'm just angry that she's trying to dominate it when I'm not even demonstrating the slightest interest in what she is saying and have explicitly told her I don't want to have conversations with her until after he leaves as we're trying to spend time together. She's talking right now and honestly, I'm barely listening and haven't even said so much as "mmm hmmm" in about 10 minutes. Seriously. How would you all handle this?
    I would tell her "I gotta go," and just hang up, since she obviously would just keep talking anyway, which I find really rude. Heck, she might even finish her "discussion" without even realizing you've hung up, lol.

Yes, they're closing my school and 4 others due to budget cuts. We are looking at best case a 22 million dollar budget cut in the district. There is a special election to add a 1 cent sales tax for three years, and if that fails there will be a 44 million dollar deficit. The good news is they are merging our school with another school and my principal will be the principal over there, as the principal there is retiring. The bad news is I work for the district special ed department and not for the school, so I'm assigned based on caseload numbers. There should be enough students between both schools that I'll be able to move with my students, but even if I can't I won't be out of a job, I'll just move somewhere else. There is a shortage of people with my certification which is great for job security.
    I'm so sorry your school is closing, especially for the kids if you have to move somewhere else if your caseload isn't big enough. They're probably used to you and comfortable, and a big change like that will probably frustrate and confuse them.
    Lauren (24) Clinton (30) - my life, my rock Praying for all the APA girls! My Blog

Well, girls, I registered for classes

Still waiting on how much it'll cost, so we'll see how happy I am and for how long, haha.

School starts August 26th, which is really odd for me, since when I went to CC we didn't start till September. I forgot four year uni's are a lot different. Advising went better than I expected. Even though I took those stupid placer tests with the Math, according to my major, I have more than satisfied the amount of credit hours I need, so now it's just focusing on Math for pre-med, which is nice. I can take statistics or calculus - which one do you think is better?

I was also able to enroll in Russian!! Taking a language course is part of my degree program, so I picked Russian and I am very excited to be learning it in a structured lesson instead of just on my own. I'm taking classes every day during the week, but only until about 1PM, and then my time is my own. If I can get a job, I'll probably try to work a couple of days, but leave some time for studying. This semester will be a bit easier than the others, but I definitely don't want to be left behind on anything.
    Lauren (24) Clinton (30) - my life, my rock Praying for all the APA girls! My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Chrissy, what do you plan to say to Connor about sex? (if you've even thought about it, LOL)
    I'm sorry your school is closing, Mandy
    I don't really have a formal explanation prepared...I just kinda wing it and answer questions in an age appropriate fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by addysonreese View Post

Still waiting on how much it'll cost, so we'll see how happy I am and for how long, haha.
    Yay!! Hopefully it'll all work out!

Well I saw my supervisor today and asked her if I would be able to move over to the new school next year, and she said yes. That won't be a problem.

Lauren, you're right on it being hard on the kids having to move. It's especially hard on my kids as they can't handle transitions. I had two of my 5th graders crying in my office yesterday because they're scared to move on to middle school. One girl is convinced the teachers will hate her and she will get punched in the face "because she isn't good at getting along with people." And she isn't good at getting along with people, so even while I was reassuring her, at some level I could totally understand why she was worried about it.

Quote Originally Posted by addysonreese View Post

School starts August 26th, which is really odd for me, since when I went to CC we didn't start till September. I forgot four year uni's are a lot different. Advising went better than I expected. Even though I took those stupid placer tests with the Math, according to my major, I have more than satisfied the amount of credit hours I need, so now it's just focusing on Math for pre-med, which is nice. I can take statistics or calculus - which one do you think is better?

I was also able to enroll in Russian!! Taking a language course is part of my degree program, so I picked Russian and I am very excited to be learning it in a structured lesson instead of just on my own. I'm taking classes every day during the week, but only until about 1PM, and then my time is my own. If I can get a job, I'll probably try to work a couple of days, but leave some time for studying. This semester will be a bit easier than the others, but I definitely don't want to be left behind on anything.
    Stats, hands down. I use stats regularly in my job. Very important in the medical field. And I took a semester of Russian and really enjoyed it!
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Well I saw my supervisor today and asked her if I would be able to move over to the new school next year, and she said yes. That won't be a problem.

Lauren, you're right on it being hard on the kids having to move. It's especially hard on my kids as they can't handle transitions. I had two of my 5th graders crying in my office yesterday because they're scared to move on to middle school. One girl is convinced the teachers will hate her and she will get punched in the face "because she isn't good at getting along with people." And she isn't good at getting along with people, so even while I was reassuring her, at some level I could totally understand why she was worried about it.
    That is really sad. I feel for those children. I hope that everything works out for them in the end. I'm glad you're able to move to the new school as well!

Stats, hands down. I use stats regularly in my job. Very important in the medical field. And I took a semester of Russian and really enjoyed it!
    I will definitely take that then. I actually didn't know I was given a choice - I thought it was just calculus that was offered for pre-med math. I'm definitely not complaining, though! My pre-med advisor had said, "The students who loved math went to calculus. The students who hated math went to statistics." And I'm excited for the Russian. Gotta brush up on my Cyrillic.

Question for you guys: I seem to have gotten a bit of swelling in my ankle and foot, probably from the amazing amount of walking I did the other day. Should I elevate it with some ice? Or see if it goes back down? It's definitely not a lot of swelling, but I can feel a slight tightness when walking, and it looks slightly bigger than my other foot.

It certainly can't hurt to elevate it with some ice. Is it warm where you are? It happens to me a lot when it's hot & humid.

It certainly can't hurt to elevate it with some ice. Is it warm where you are? It happens to me a lot when it's hot & humid.
    Oh, goodness, in Texas? Yep! hehe

The heat was pretty bad the day I walked, and I walked about four miles. I'll probably get some ice on it; I'm sure that'll get the swelling down. And drink more water! hehe

17. Default

Quote Originally Posted by midgeend View Post
    I'd be mad that she didn't say something...but I'd be super psyched to have Annie be exposed to the pox! The earlier the better because they're less severe the younger they are, so if your girls got it, it might be a blessing that they did, because then they'd have a much stronger immunity against them than the vaccine. But I can totally understand being upset and that mom totally should have left her kids home.
    I'd be furious that she didn't say anything about the pox too. Even though it's not likely they were contagious if they were scabbing up, the other mothers should have the choice of taking the risk or not. Who knows what other illnesses some children might have that actually catching chicken pox wouldn't be in the best interest of the child?
    Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    I'd so love to have chicken pox here. We thought we did a couple weeks ago because O's little buddy had contracted them and was over here the day before he spiked a fever, but O didn't get them. That said, I DIDN'T take him to his public events (classes) that week, or to playdates unless all moms knew he might have been exposed...
    Im glad you ladies understand.. I too would be happy they got them young for the exact reasons Midgeend stated, Its the fact that she didnt say anything and let each parent decide for themselves that upsets me.

Quote Originally Posted by atenielle View Post
    Im glad you ladies understand.. I too would be happy they got them young for the exact reasons Midgeend stated, Its the fact that she didnt say anything and let each parent decide for themselves that upsets me.
    I can get that one. I would be beyond mad if I had a kid and some stupid parent knowingly exposed my kid to something like chickenpox. I don't get the whole wanting to have them exposed thing at all and would be one who would give the vax.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Lauren that is great to have gotten registered! no advice on the math...i did all honors in high school and dropped out of calc senior year. In college I got away with some lame easy applied math class. LOL

Well maybe I do have some advice...if you ever want to get into research later on, stats would probably be a lot more useful.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Chrissy how are you feeling? have you gotten a chance to check them out or are they wrapped up? how long do you get to be off work?

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I'm feeling pretty good. I go through moments of soreness, but it's really not bad. I went all of today without taking anything, and I have been able to massage them as my plastic surgeon recommended. They're not wrapped and my PS expects me to go braless for 3 months. I'm not sure I can do that-I may go buy some supportive camis to wear under my blouses. I took a week off, but honestly I would have been ok to return today.

Thanks for asking

After my last night's mini-rant about my sister ... my sister mentioned she had an argument with her daughter and her daughter slammed the door on her. What do you think about me sending my niece an email or facebook message just to let her know that if she needs advice from someone I'm happy to listen? Or should I just stay out of it?
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I confess that I'm so super stressed about money and being unemployed. DH doesn't want me to take any jobs that require me to work evenings or weekends (which I understand), but there's nothing in my industry that fits that description.

Added to that, I have an overseas wedding in June (one of my best friends) and now DH is saying that I can't go because we can't afford it. I can't cancel now. I don't know what I'm supposed to do.

After my last night's mini-rant about my sister ... my sister mentioned she had an argument with her daughter and her daughter slammed the door on her. What do you think about me sending my niece an email or facebook message just to let her know that if she needs advice from someone I'm happy to listen? Or should I just stay out of it?
    Your sister might not like it if she heard about it, but I think teens need more than just their own peers to turn to and at that age, they're not likely to go to their mom when they're mad at her.

Quote Originally Posted by MammaMia View Post
    I confess that I'm so super stressed about money and being unemployed. DH doesn't want me to take any jobs that require me to work evenings or weekends (which I understand), but there's nothing in my industry that fits that description.

Added to that, I have an overseas wedding in June (one of my best friends) and now DH is saying that I can't go because we can't afford it. I can't cancel now. I don't know what I'm supposed to do.

Are there any jobs that only have 1 evening or weekend day? I know it's not ideal, but sometimes you have to start out doing something you don't really want to do and work up to the Mon-Fri, 9-5 position. When I worked at the mental health clinic I had 1 late night a week. I actually got to where I liked it because I knew I could schedule any appointment I needed to Wednesday morning and I didn't have to use my time for it.

I'm feeling pretty good. I go through moments of soreness, but it's really not bad. I went all of today without taking anything, and I have been able to massage them as my plastic surgeon recommended. They're not wrapped and my PS expects me to go braless for 3 months. I'm not sure I can do that-I may go buy some supportive camis to wear under my blouses. I took a week off, but honestly I would have been ok to return today.

Thanks for asking
    Wow that is amazing! It really is cool how they can do things to our bodies and not have it really be too bad.

If nothing else, a cami could hid things a little bit under the shirts.

Though maybe two weeks off would have been more fun.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I probably would do it if I had a niece. But maybe would just wait to send the message until after tomorrow.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Are there any jobs that only have 1 evening or weekend day? I know it's not ideal, but sometimes you have to start out doing something you don't really want to do and work up to the Mon-Fri, 9-5 position. When I worked at the mental health clinic I had 1 late night a week. I actually got to where I liked it because I knew I could schedule any appointment I needed to Wednesday morning and I didn't have to use my time for it.
    Thank Chrissy. You're so right.
    Anyway, it looks like I might have got a job today. I have to go in on Saturday for a trial, but if I do well then the job is mine.

I'll have to work every second weekend, but I'm taking it anyway. I really hope that DH understands. It's an inconvenience for him, but it's much better than being poor.

Thanks for asking
    I'm glad you're doing so well! Make sure you continue to rest, even though you're feeling well.

That would be a really nice gesture. She might not take you up on it, but I bet she'd appreciate it anyway.

Thanks for asking
    I'm so glad you're feeling well! And a cami would definitely work under the shirt. Going braless for that long would feel really weird.

I guess this is sort of tough, however, when I was 15/16 and having a lot of fights with my mother, I gladly would have liked to speak with my aunt about my issues instead of her always siding with my mother. You could probably send the message as a one off thing, and see if she takes you up on it.

Quote Originally Posted by MammaMia View Post
    Thank Chrissy. You're so right.
    Anyway, it looks like I might have got a job today. I have to go in on Saturday for a trial, but if I do well then the job is mine.

I'll have to work every second weekend, but I'm taking it anyway. I really hope that DH understands. It's an inconvenience for him, but it's much better than being poor.
    Yay! And he should understand that financially and everything else, it's better if you do work that job. It's only every other weekend.

Congrats on the job Mammamia!

I confess that I just got a new, potentially really great, client, out of the blue. I am so stoked. I'm even more stoked because it's not work I'll have to do - it falls in DH's "camp" so I get to just hand it to him and make money off of it.