Page 350 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 250 300 340348349350351352 360 400 450 850 1350 ... LastLast
Results 10,471 to 10,500 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

I was hit up by the religious cronies when I was delivering Jasper. I was not, in any way, polite.

I keep thinking that religious people will come by while I'm in the hospital since it's an Exempla hospital.

There's a cross above the bed in the post partum room we toured.

I told Jimi I hope he can take it down.
    Janeen - 30, Jimi - 42; Married October 21st, 2006;

Quote Originally Posted by Janeen View Post
    I keep thinking that religious people will come by while I'm in the hospital since it's an Exempla hospital.

I hope he can, too.

See, for me, I'm all about religion.. for the people that want it. If I come into the hospital, religious sponsored or not, I would at least like to be ASKED before they start sending people in to pray or stuff like that.

I've always been a firm believer in keeping yourself from pushing your beliefs on others. I have a friend of mine who is Christian, and one day I asked her about the differences between Christianity and Catholicism (I was raised Catholic) - even though I know they're roughly from the same branch - and she explained what she thought, and that was that. I thanked her for not trying to preach me or bring me in to her faith. She answered my question, and that was that.

This whole religion thing did make me think of the most recent episode of Family Guy. I won't mention what happened unless people ask - I don't know how ya'll feel about that show. I, myself, LOVE it.
    Lauren (24) Clinton (30) - my life, my rock Praying for all the APA girls! My Blog

We used to watch Family Guy a lot, but not so much anymore. When we're flipping around the channels sometimes we catch a repeat but we've seen most of them so many times. What happened on the new episode?

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    We used to watch Family Guy a lot, but not so much anymore. When we're flipping around the channels sometimes we catch a repeat but we've seen most of them so many times. What happened on the new episode?
    The news station made a report that there was a black hole that was going to engulf Earth in 24 hours, so everyone was kinda freaking out. At one point, Stewie catches Brian PRAYING. He starts to make fun of him and Brian tries to play it off.

Close to the end of the episode we find out it was all an April Fool's joke, so Brian says, "Well, now that I've lived through this, I've gotta go to the soup kitchen and help feed the homeless. I sorta made a promise to someone." And Stewie off camera laughs and says, "It's God!"

It just cracked me up because Brian is not a religious person at all, and when push came to shove he prayed to live. And of course, I love the rapport between him and Stewie.
    Lauren (24) Clinton (30) - my life, my rock Praying for all the APA girls! My Blog

LOL
    Cute...I love Stewie.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    LOL
    Cute...I love Stewie.
    He's right under Brian as my favorite.

I just love Seth MacFarlane.. the fact that his voice is that deep (he doesn't do anything special to make the voice of Brian).. is just very hot to me. And I love his voice when he sings.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I confess that dh bought himself a toy--a set of lock picks and instructions. During a break from work today, he taught himself how to pick locks, and then promptly opened all of the doors on our house, deadbolts and all. I had no idea how cheap and easy it was to get access to someone's house.

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    I confess that dh bought himself a toy--a set of lock picks and instructions. During a break from work today, he taught himself how to pick locks, and then promptly opened all of the doors on our house, deadbolts and all. I had no idea how cheap and easy it was to get access to someone's house.
    We locked ourselves out once and called a locksmith to let us in. It was terrifying how easy it was for the locksmith to open our door. Those aren't exactly the types of people I want to have unrestricted access to my home ... good thing I have dogs!
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

That worries me as well. It's really crazy the things that people can learn now, like hacking into computers, getting into houses, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Janeen View Post

Or you could turn it upside down, which would be more my penchant

Oh, dude, where'd he get that? I want one.

That's scary!

How are you feeling by the way, Lydia? Congrats on reaching full-term!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    Oh, dude, where'd he get that? I want one.
    I think he ordered it from Amazon, for about $30. He also got a set of clear "practice" locks and those were a bit more. After his ease at unlocking our house, he started talking about more security (therein lies the great expense), but I convinced him that if someone wanted to get in so badly, better locks wouldn't stop them from breaking a window.

Quote Originally Posted by MammaMia View Post
    How are you feeling by the way, Lydia? Congrats on reaching full-term!
    Ready to be done. The challenges of recovering from a C-Section and taking care of three children seem minuscule, at this point, compared to not being able to move without pain, go more than 15 minutes without peeing, pick things up that I drop, or wear anything other than a mu-mu. Except dh is leaving in the morning and is going to be on the East Coast for the rest of the week, so he told me I either need to go into labor tonight, or wait until next week.

Or I could maintain how much I love being pregnant and stay completely positive, but it's so not true this time.

At full term, you are more than entitled to say pregnancy sucks. Besides, you've done this three times. The novelty freakin' wears off a bit.

There's a thread in random that reminded me that my mom has always told the story that when I was a toddler I used to blame God when I broke something or did something wrong or tell her that he told me to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    There's a thread in random that reminded me that my mom has always told the story that when I was a toddler I used to blame God when I broke something or did something wrong or tell her that he told me to do it.

Eek! How unsettling to think it's that easy!!

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    Kinda like "the devil made me do it" but God instead?

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I hate to say this, but my sister is driving me crazy. She keeps calling me and without demonstrating any interest in my life whatsoever, she will spend literally hours discussing the ins and outs of her daughter's relationship with her first boyfriend. When I tell her it's not a good time or I can't talk, she doesn't listen and keeps talking. We used to have conversations like this but it was a two-way conversation. Now, she just talks and talks and I can't get a word in edge-wise, and the "conversation" if you can call it that is word-for-word the type of discussion you have with your girlfriends when you're 16. I just don't think it's healthy. With Kevin leaving Friday I feel like my time with him is limited and I'm just angry that she's trying to dominate it when I'm not even demonstrating the slightest interest in what she is saying and have explicitly told her I don't want to have conversations with her until after he leaves as we're trying to spend time together. She's talking right now and honestly, I'm barely listening and haven't even said so much as "mmm hmmm" in about 10 minutes. Seriously. How would you all handle this?
    Last edited by Gwenn; 04-27-2010 at 09:55 PM.

I would flat out say, "I gotta go. I'll talk to you later." and hang up. If I weren't in the mood to deal with her 'later' when she called, I wouldn't answer the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I would flat out say, "I gotta go. I'll talk to you later." and hang up. If I weren't in the mood to deal with her 'later' when she called, I wouldn't answer the phone.
    That's probably the only way to deal with it.

Tell me, your daughters are my niece's age ... do you spend that much time thinking about their social lives? It just doesn't seem healthy. He's a 15 year old boy, and she worries that he's sending her daughter mixed signals? And he might want to have sex with her daughter but her daughter told him no? What does she expect out of a 15 year old boy?

I assume all the adolescent boys that come around (or call) want sex. I'm not setting up a place for them to 'do it' or anything like that. The girls know I'd prefer it if they waited...but it's their life, their decision. I don't worry about it at all...unless they come to me with a specific question or fear.

Oh-and my girls are familiar with the concept that boys give love to get sex, and girls give sex to get love. I've talked to them about the very real possibility of being devastated if they have sex and then their partner leaves them. I'm sure it happens to all girls at least once, but I want them going into these relationships prepared as much as possible.

But no, I can't say I even knew the detail that your sister seems to know about her daughter's first love.

I assume all the adolescent boys that come around (or call) want sex. I'm not setting up a place for them to 'do it' or anything like that. The girls know I'd prefer it if they waited...but it's their life, their decision. I don't worry about it at all...unless they come to me with a specific question or fear.
    Yeah, see, this sounds healthy to me. Analyzing exactly what everyone said and the looks that went along with it the way I did back in high school is just bizarre and controlling. I guess she and her daughter had a fight about this boy (and how he is too controlling) and now she wants me to tell her if she should put her foot down about it. Since when did she listen to our parents when she was growing up? I did point that out to her when she let me get a word in edgewise. Then I told her I had to go watch the news to see if they were closing my school ... and they are closing my school.

Oh-and my girls are familiar with the concept that boys give love to get sex, and girls give sex to get love. I've talked to them about the very real possibility of being devastated if they have sex and then their partner leaves them. I'm sure it happens to all girls at least once, but I want them going into these relationships prepared as much as possible.

But no, I can't say I even knew the detail that your sister seems to know about her daughter's first love.
    I should really point this saying out to her. It's absolutely the truth, at least for a time in a girl's life.

Quote Originally Posted by gwennero View Post
    Yeah, see, this sounds healthy to me. Analyzing exactly what everyone said and the looks that went along with it the way I did back in high school is just bizarre and controlling. I guess she and her daughter had a fight about this boy (and how he is too controlling) and now she wants me to tell her if she should put her foot down about it. Since when did she listen to our parents when she was growing up? I did point that out to her when she let me get a word in edgewise. Then I told her I had to go watch the news to see if they were closing my school ... and they are closing my school.
    Oh no! How sad!! Is it due to budget cuts?

With my older girls I wouldn't dream of forbidding or putting my foot down in regards to a boyfriend or girlfriend. I think the only thing that would do would be to grow resentment, and perhaps make my daughter cling to the one who was worrying me even more-just for spite!! A teen can easily have the "I'll show you!" attitude and stay with someone they really weren't in love with, just to be oppositional.

It's hard-but there does come a point in life when you have to let go and have faith that at least some of the lessons you taught have sunk in somewhere. I have a very real goal to be a decent mother in law. I won't get involved unless I'm asked. I hope I hope I hope. Time will tell if I can pull that one off ;)

Quote Originally Posted by gwennero View Post
    I should really point this saying out to her. It's absolutely the truth, at least for a time in a girl's life.
    Yeah, it's definitely true in adolescence.

Oh no! How sad!! Is it due to budget cuts?

With my older girls I wouldn't dream of forbidding or putting my foot down in regards to a boyfriend or girlfriend. I think the only thing that would do would be to grow resentment, and perhaps make my daughter cling to the one who was worrying me even more-just for spite!! A teen can easily have the "I'll show you!" attitude and stay with someone they really weren't in love with, just to be oppositional.

It's hard-but there does come a point in life when you have to let go and have faith that at least some of the lessons you taught have sunk in somewhere. I have a very real goal to be a decent mother in law. I won't get involved unless I'm asked. I hope I hope I hope. Time will tell if I can pull that one off ;)
    I'm sure you will be a great MIL. And I agree, telling them "no" just is an opening for resentment. It won't help the situation.

Yes, they're closing my school and 4 others due to budget cuts. We are looking at best case a 22 million dollar budget cut in the district. There is a special election to add a 1 cent sales tax for three years, and if that fails there will be a 44 million dollar deficit. The good news is they are merging our school with another school and my principal will be the principal over there, as the principal there is retiring. The bad news is I work for the district special ed department and not for the school, so I'm assigned based on caseload numbers. There should be enough students between both schools that I'll be able to move with my students, but even if I can't I won't be out of a job, I'll just move somewhere else. There is a shortage of people with my certification which is great for job security.

Oh, and speaking of MILs, mine told me the other day the 1 cent tax "would only go to give teachers raises and wouldn't help the students."