Page 338 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 2382883283363373383393403483884388381338 ... LastLast
Results 10,111 to 10,140 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

The one reason I'd like to send Josh to preschool is for the social aspect. All the playgroups we try to join are sort of inactive or inconsistent and when I took him to Music Together last year he did not enjoy it at all, whether it was the context or the huge group of people I'm not sure, because he does fine in open gym with lots of kids, but he loves music, so I don't know why he didn't like the music class. It might have been the structure.

Anyway, I'm afraid they won't let him in because he's not deficient in any areas and he will talk anyone's ear off in a one on one setting, but I'm not sure how he will handle a group and the structure when he gets to school.

Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    Gah. I confess I just went to visit the most wonderful school. It was so awesome it reminded me of hogwarts and I'm so excited for Oscar. But it's SO expensive that I'm like and sending two children there.
    Yay for finding a place! Sorry it's so expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by MammaMia View Post
    I confess that I can't stand a new teacher that has recently started working at Mia's daycare. She's just awful. I'm not sure what I want to do about it.
    Oh no. I haven't always been a fan of all my daughter's teachers either. It sucks. Because they're protected by unions, and public schools (at least around me) seem to protect even the bad ones, the only thing I could do was address each issue as they came up. And I did!! I haven't always been the school administrator's favorite parent, but that's ok with me.

I've looked at preschools for Conner in Ithaca and they're just too darned expensive or they're filled. I don't know what we're going to do next school year...I'd really like to get him in something. Right now, he spends the day with Grandma and while I'm happy with everything she's done for him and with him, he definitely has missed out on social interaction with other children.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Unhappy

Savana and dbf left for Canada yesterday. The night before, dbf and I had a long, serious discussion that made me feel a little better. He basically admitted that he slacks as a parent around here because he knows that I will excel. That he'd step up on their trip. God, he better. And she was SO excited. I talked to dbf about 84757 times yesterday and every time he asked her if she wanted to say hi to me she said no thank you. And that's a good thing. I want her to be happy and confident without me. I miss her horribly.
    I confess I wouldn't send my kids to preschool. Granted, they get the opportunitity for socialization because I do daycare but I still don't feel it would be necessary to send them if I was just home with them. We get plenty of opportunity for socialization and conflict resolution just between the four of us.
    Yesterday I had a parent pick up and made some really blatant racist remarks in reference to large hispanic population in our town. I was totally flabbergasted and did not know what to say. If it had been any other situation, I'd have told her off but as it was I just became totally speechless. Now I look at her totally differently. People who think they are better than other people are pretty high on my disgust list. It's especially ridiculous when they think they are better based on something they don't even control. Like, if you insist on thinking you are better then actually be better. Yuck.

AND Kai and I are going to my nephews first communion this weekend. I wouldn't go except it's a 5 hour drive and my dad asked me to come. He said that he never sees my mom the way she is after she's with Savana and Kai. She laughs and talks for hours after. He feels like it energizes her. That really touches me I just have a hard time even stepping foot in a catholic church with all of the sexual molestation going on within. I hope I can safely say this here but I cannot understand why anyone would continue to support the catholic church, much less send their children....anyway, I called my dad and told him I have dibs on Kai when he needs to be taken out of the church so don't even try it.

((hugs)) Bridget. I'm sure Savana will have an amazing time.

And ewe yuck on the woman making racist remarks. I'm like that too...once I hear someone spew that garbage I can't ever feel the same about them.

ita about the Church thing. No way in heck would I allow my children to be alone at Church after all that's come out.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Oh no. I haven't always been a fan of all my daughter's teachers either. It sucks. Because they're protected by unions, and public schools (at least around me) seem to protect even the bad ones, the only thing I could do was address each issue as they came up. And I did!! I haven't always been the school administrator's favorite parent, but that's ok with me.
    I know, I hate what's going on with Mia's teacher. I knew sending her to daycare that there would always be some teachers I liked more than others, and that's part of the package, but I really, really dislike this woman. I hate confrontation, but I know I'm going to have to address it.

Regarding the pre-school thing - I hear over and over that you have to send your kids to daycare/pre-school, or they'll be maladjusted. I think it's a load of rubbish. It may be true for some people, but I think that if you make a conscious effort to make sure your kids are getting social interaction as a SAHP, then it's just fine for them to stay home. I think it's sad that so many people think that staying with mom or dad is a bad thing. I wish I'd had more time with my parents at that age.

Having said that, I sent Mia to daycare partly because I knew that I couldn't do the SAHM thing long-term. The winters here are brutal and I run out of things I can do with her. So daycare is the right choice for us.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    Savana and dbf left for Canada yesterday. The night before, dbf and I had a long, serious discussion that made me feel a little better. He basically admitted that he slacks as a parent around here because he knows that I will excel. That he'd step up on their trip. God, he better. And she was SO excited. I talked to dbf about 84757 times yesterday and every time he asked her if she wanted to say hi to me she said no thank you. And that's a good thing. I want her to be happy and confident without me. I miss her horribly.
    I confess I wouldn't send my kids to preschool. Granted, they get the opportunitity for socialization because I do daycare but I still don't feel it would be necessary to send them if I was just home with them. We get plenty of opportunity for socialization and conflict resolution just between the four of us.
    Yesterday I had a parent pick up and made some really blatant racist remarks in reference to large hispanic population in our town. I was totally flabbergasted and did not know what to say. If it had been any other situation, I'd have told her off but as it was I just became totally speechless. Now I look at her totally differently. People who think they are better than other people are pretty high on my disgust list. It's especially ridiculous when they think they are better based on something they don't even control. Like, if you insist on thinking you are better then actually be better. Yuck.

AND Kai and I are going to my nephews first communion this weekend. I wouldn't go except it's a 5 hour drive and my dad asked me to come. He said that he never sees my mom the way she is after she's with Savana and Kai. She laughs and talks for hours after. He feels like it energizes her. That really touches me I just have a hard time even stepping foot in a catholic church with all of the sexual molestation going on within. I hope I can safely say this here but I cannot understand why anyone would continue to support the catholic church, much less send their children....anyway, I called my dad and told him I have dibs on Kai when he needs to be taken out of the church so don't even try it.
    I was going to ask you about Savana's trip. How did things go with that email you sent your MIL? I hope Savana has a wonderful time.

Ugh on the racist comments. I know what you mean about being too shocked to know what to say, then regretting it later. I try to be outspoken about stuff like that, but sometimes you're just left speechless.

Oh by the way, the volcano here is going crazy: http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/0...ex.html?hpt=T1

Oh that pic is just breathtaking!

I was totally flabbergasted and did not know what to say. If it had been any other situation, I'd have told her off but as it was I just became totally speechless.

I hope I can safely say this here but I cannot understand why anyone would continue to support the catholic church, much less send their children....anyway, I called my dad and told him I have dibs on Kai when he needs to be taken out of the church so don't even try it.
    I had that happen to me before too...it was when I first started my job in the new town (which is largely white)....and one of my volunteers actually said to me that the only black people in town are on atheletic scholarship at the university OR they are drug dealers from the big city. That there aren't any black families...in a town of about 65K!!!! OMG, that was shocking after coming from Milwaukee. I didn't say anything...was too shocked and I wasn't sure if telling off a volunteer was a good idea as a new employee. I still hear some offensive things at the clinic from the old people, especially about the President.

The catholic church disgusts me in many ways in how that they allowed the priests to do that and have covered it up. That said, as far as religion goes, I do think Catholic churches are very pretty and like some of the other things they stand for compared so some of the crazy really out there super conservative christian ones. I actually spent my college years in a Catholic college and my family isn't catholic. You might have heard of Mount Mary down in Milwaukee...it's an all women's college. I LOVED it there. Not everything was taught by nuns but some classes were and they were a strong pressence. They would NEVER have condoned the molestation that is for sure. Maybe they were a more liberal bunch but they were for social justice and equality and education and the poor and especially for women and children. Sister Rose taught and believed in evolution and the sister I had for world religions actually said and believed that there were many paths one could take with religion and spirituality and that they were all valiad.
    I'm sure that there are some good priests...but yeah I wouldn't trust them alone with my son if I had one!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Sarah, that picture is amazing....did you take it from where you live?

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Sarah, that picture is amazing....did you take it from where you live?
    No, it's not my picture, and I don't live near there. I think it was taken by a farmer. We were in that exact spot there over Easter though. I have some pics but mine are nowhere near as cool.

I'm glad that your DBF is understanding of your feelings and I hope he steps up as well. I know it's got to be hard when you miss her so much.

And I honestly cannot stand people that make bigoted comments. I was talking to a friend last night (totally Republican, hates Obama and the health care bill, etc) and she was talking to me about how she hates how she can't afford school and I asked her about applying for scholarships and she goes "Oh, I can't get one of those. If you're stupid, you're screwed. You either need to be smart or black to get everything, it's so stupid."

I almost chewed her out, but I didn't. Needless to say, this is one of the reasons why she isn't really a friend anymore.

As far as the Catholic Church thing, I know how you feel, and I was raised to be Roman Catholic so I'm kinda embarrassed by my former religion. As Robin Williams said, "Remember, it's not just a sin, it's a felony." I just don't get how they think it's okay to just do all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by MammaMia View Post
    Oh by the way, the volcano here is going crazy: http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/0...ex.html?hpt=T1
    That is a gorgeous picture!! Simply stunning.

I confess today that I have spending my time researching the Romanov family. It spiraled off from me downloading a song from the 1997 animated film Anastasia, and I started looking up about her and her siblings, and her parents - especially her mother, who was not a favorite to the Russian people - and how everything got started and eventually ended. I really hope I can take a Russian language course in college. I want to be able to speak more than a few conversational phrases!
    Lauren (24) Clinton (30) - my life, my rock Praying for all the APA girls! My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by addysonreese View Post
    I confess today that I have spending my time researching the Romanov family. It spiraled off from me downloading a song from the 1997 animated film Anastasia, and I started looking up about her and her siblings, and her parents - especially her mother, who was not a favorite to the Russian people - and how everything got started and eventually ended. I really hope I can take a Russian language course in college. I want to be able to speak more than a few conversational phrases!
    That would be awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by addysonreese View Post
    And I honestly cannot stand people that make bigoted comments. I was talking to a friend last night (totally Republican, hates Obama and the health care bill, etc) and she was talking to me about how she hates how she can't afford school and I asked her about applying for scholarships and she goes "Oh, I can't get one of those. If you're stupid, you're screwed. You either need to be smart or black to get everything, it's so stupid."
    At least she knows she's stupid. Nothing worse than someone spewing all of that crap and thinking no one knows more than them.

That volcano's ash has haulted all flights in and out of the UK! Interesting stuff! I'm glad I'm not flying any where soon.

Racist people. Ugh. I was so angry with our estate agent because they called DH and told him a "Polish" couple wanted to view our house. I said to him "why did they have to tell you they were Polish? Do they tell you when the person is English?" I hate hate hate when people label me "the American." I'm me! And then people try to talk about "immigrants" around me and when I speak up they say, "oh, not you, Ashley, you're American, that's different." Ugh!

Any how, the Polish couple loved our house and I hope they make us an offer! We have a girl coming for her second viewing tomorrow, so fingers crossed for a sale soon!

I'm also back and forth about preschool, but it's not the cost. It's the fact that our preschools (I guess it may be different elsewhere) feel like glorified daycares and (no offense Bridget) my kid gets a better, more enlightening experience by spending his days with US than he would being shuttled around from snack to swings to "activity time" with a group of kids that are half-baked because their parents are (again no offense to the kids, but parents as a whole sort of suck, and I don't like the idea of exposing my kid to them when he's still formative).

Chrissy, can you mom take him to some classes? Dance class? Art class? Story time? Play groups? We get plenty of social interaction that way.

At least she knows she's stupid. Nothing worse than someone spewing all of that crap and thinking no one knows more than them.
    So true. I told Clinton about it and he said, "Well, at least she's labeling herself correctly."

Quote Originally Posted by silverstar View Post
    Any how, the Polish couple loved our house and I hope they make us an offer! We have a girl coming for her second viewing tomorrow, so fingers crossed for a sale soon!
    Fingers crossed that you get a sale soon!!
    Lauren (24) Clinton (30) - my life, my rock Praying for all the APA girls! My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by silverstar View Post
    That volcano's ash has haulted all flights in and out of the UK! Interesting stuff! I'm glad I'm not flying any where soon.

Racist people. Ugh. I was so angry with our estate agent because they called DH and told him a "Polish" couple wanted to view our house. I said to him "why did they have to tell you they were Polish? Do they tell you when the person is English?" I hate hate hate when people label me "the American." I'm me! And then people try to talk about "immigrants" around me and when I speak up they say, "oh, not you, Ashley, you're American, that's different." Ugh!

I hate that too! So, so much. DH's family will rant about immigrants right in front of me. Umm, hello. The most disgusting thing is that somehow I'm ok because I'm pasty-white and from a wealthy country. Watch out for those Polish and Thai people though.

/rant

Anyway, I hope they make you a nice offer!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I love that volcano picture, and I did hear the ash was canceling all the flights to Europe from San Francisco.

I paid a housecall on a new mom from APA today and got to hold her baby while she showered and ate lunch. It was so nice just cuddling with a little baby. I came home and picked up Ronin and he felt surprisingly heavy in comparison.

Aww, so cool Lydia! I wish I could go around meeting APA people

shutterbird Guest

That picture is gorgeous!

Lydia, who was the APA-er? When I went to take pics of AnnaC's little guy, he felt so delicate when I was holding him. Such a big difference from our tough tots, huh?

Stacy, it's the same for us. Well, it kinda is the cost too, because I don't want to pay that ridiculous amount of money for an "education" that she's already getting at home! The more I think of it, the more I think we're just going to skip this year and re-consider for fall 2011 (she'll be turning 4 then).

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I met Krystal5 from April DD, and her baby is only 10 days old. Last night I was organizing our new baby clothes, and I kept looking at these little tiny outfits, barely able to imagine a baby small enough to fit into them. And then I met one today! It's amazing how much we forget--the funny little expressions they make when they're sleeping, the little noises.... Wow, I'm in for a wild ride.

Eek, 10 days! How cute!

Teeny, tiny babies.
    I confess that as much as I miss Savana and as badly as I want her to come home, I am very much enjoying Kai right now. I can't believe I never even realized how little time I spend alone with him. He's been really attached to dbf and even when he does choose to be with me, Savana is always there as well. She has a very strong personality and Kai has a very pleasing personality so he sort of falls into her shadow and seems happy to do so. The past two evenings he has just talked to me non stop. It's so lovely to have uninterrupted conversation with him. He's so sweet. He just told me that he likes the food I make and the way I vacuum. He ate a whole avacodo for dinner and we he finished he said, "Mom. I'm done with all that tastiness."

I know I complain about work too much on here, but it's been quite a day.

To start with, we were informed today that our principal has been issued a Non-Renewal letter today (pink slip) along with 31 other principals. All of the schools without a principal will close. Most likely my school will be merged with a larger nearby school and my principal has been told in that case she will be the principal of that school, as the other principal is retiring. As I don't work for the school itself but for the district central services, I don't know if I will be following my students. It depends on caseload numbers. Let me mention that this is the fourth school I have worked in, and the best, and in good measure because of this principal.

If that weren't good enough, I've been going through a very rough patch with the same teacher I complained about earlier. It's still standardized testing week and I was unable to see another of her students because he is testing. He can't stop testing to go have speech therapy and then come back to the test. Once he walks away, he can't finish. She KNOWS he flips out when he doesn't get to see me, so somehow she thought she could have him see me during testing. Which he can't, and we discussed this yesterday. So, today she checked my schedule and saw that I was with students from 12:30 to 1:00 and then had a space at 1:00. So she called me at 12:25, during my lunch break, to ask me if I could take him at 1:00. I do actually have to plan for therapy ... nobody would ever ask a teacher to do a lesson given 5 minutes notice, would they? She didn't give a darn about the quality of my therapy, she just wanted him out of her room.

At the end of the day I informed her I would be taking a day off at my husband's request because he wanted me to drop him off at the airport when he leaves for deployment. Obviously this would be the last time I would get to see my husband for at least a year and potentially ever. She is aware of the situation. Her reaction? "I've already asked for that day off. And if you were gone I'd have to re-write my sub plan." Did she seriously say that to me?
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Teeny, tiny babies.
    I confess that as much as I miss Savana and as badly as I want her to come home, I am very much enjoying Kai right now. I can't believe I never even realized how little time I spend alone with him. He's been really attached to dbf and even when he does choose to be with me, Savana is always there as well. She has a very strong personality and Kai has a very pleasing personality so he sort of falls into her shadow and seems happy to do so. The past two evenings he has just talked to me non stop. It's so lovely to have uninterrupted conversation with him. He's so sweet. He just told me that he likes the food I make and the way I vacuum. He ate a whole avacodo for dinner and we he finished he said, "Mom. I'm done with all that tastiness."
    Bridget, I'm so glad you're having this time with Kai. And I am sorry you're missing Savana.

Quote Originally Posted by gwennero View Post

To start with, we were informed today that our principal has been issued a Non-Renewal letter today (pink slip) along with 31 other principals. All of the schools without a principal will close. Most likely my school will be merged with a larger nearby school and my principal has been told in that case she will be the principal of that school, as the other principal is retiring. As I don't work for the school itself but for the district central services, I don't know if I will be following my students. It depends on caseload numbers. Let me mention that this is the fourth school I have worked in, and the best, and in good measure because of this principal.

If that weren't good enough, I've been going through a very rough patch with the same teacher I complained about earlier. It's still standardized testing week and I was unable to see another of her students because he is testing. He can't stop testing to go have speech therapy and then come back to the test. Once he walks away, he can't finish. She KNOWS he flips out when he doesn't get to see me, so somehow she thought she could have him see me during testing. Which he can't, and we discussed this yesterday. So, today she checked my schedule and saw that I was with students from 12:30 to 1:00 and then had a space at 1:00. So she called me at 12:25, during my lunch break, to ask me if I could take him at 1:00. I do actually have to plan for therapy ... nobody would ever ask a teacher to do a lesson given 5 minutes notice, would they? She didn't give a darn about the quality of my therapy, she just wanted him out of her room.

At the end of the day I informed her I would be taking a day off at my husband's request because he wanted me to drop him off at the airport when he leaves for deployment. Obviously this would be the last time I would get to see my husband for at least a year and potentially ever. She is aware of the situation. Her reaction? "I've already asked for that day off. And if you were gone I'd have to re-write my sub plan." Did she seriously say that to me?
    WTF is wrong with some people? I mean how does one exist in a world believing it totally revolves around them? And for the record, you do not complain too much. That's what we're here for, anyway.

Teeny, tiny babies.
    Aww..he sounds like such a sweetie.

Wow. I don't even know what to say to that. She sounds very self centered.

Oh Mandy, I'm so sorry you have to deal with someone so deeply self-involved. I do not understand people who behave like that. I hope you take a day off anyway. It's too important not to.

Thanks, guys. It's not even an either-or situation for her, as though if I took the day off she couldn't. And it would even be an advantage to her as she wouldn't be around to hear that particular student get upset about a change to his schedule. The only drawback she could come up with was that she would have to re-write her sub plans? Which, honestly, has she really written them that far in advance? She must just keep one on hand and not ever change it. That is selfishness to a level that yes, it's hard to imagine. She needs to grow the h3ll up.

I'm sorry. She sounds like a real gem...I never have been able to understand people who have no comprehension of the world outside their own lives.
    Just Midge