Page 289 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 1892392792872882892902912993393897891289 ... LastLast
Results 8,641 to 8,670 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

I too have no dog stories. LOL
    So glad your husband is home Lydia!

Glad you're DH is home Lydia! I hope he gets over his jet lag quickly.

All these dog stories remind me of the Radiolab podcast about animal communications with humans. It's fascinating: http://www.wnyc.org/shows/radiolab/episodes/2010/04/02

Lydia! Yay for your husband being home.
    I'm having dbf take Kai to Fast Care this morning for a second opinion. The more he tells me about the dr visit, the more I feel like he didn't give Kai a proper exam.
    I have no intelligent dog story. I love Koa. He is the biggest sweetheart in the world and I wouldn't trade him. But I'm not sure he's the sharpest tool in the shed.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I'm sorry I spaced on commenting earlier, Bridget. There is a growing movement away from treating ear infections with antibiotics in this country too, but if the infection is bad or if it seems like the parent won't be satisfied without medications, antibiotics are prescribed more often. An infection is something you can actually see by looking in the ears, so that diagnosis should have been made by clinically objective signs and not because of any symptoms or pain the doctor was told about. Therefore, unless the doctor was completely mistaken, Kai most likely has an ear infection. The lungs should have been listened to, also.

I am not sure if your dbf misunderstood or if the doctor was enthusiastic about medications, but what I would expect to hear about Tylenol in that circumstance is that it could be given 'round the clock for pain or fever.

In any case, I would write a note with your concerns (cough, fever, ?ear infection, etc.) and hopefully dbf will use it during the visit, AND ask for a visit summary afterward, with the findings and recommendations in writing.

I hope he feels better soon!

I once wrote down (well, spreadsheet) all the words, commands, and names Jedi understood. I was floored that the total was almost 300. Never expected that, though always knew she was a smart dog and easy to train (rat terrier). We had a second rat terrier for about 3 years, but we just didn't give her training the same time and effort we did Jedi's. We lost her to complications from canine GME.
    Krista & Jonathan: Liam, our one and only, born 9 Sep 2008

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    Lydia! Yay for your husband being home.
    I'm having dbf take Kai to Fast Care this morning for a second opinion. The more he tells me about the dr visit, the more I feel like he didn't give Kai a proper exam.
    I have no intelligent dog story. I love Koa. He is the biggest sweetheart in the world and I wouldn't trade him. But I'm not sure he's the sharpest tool in the shed.
    Good idea to get a second opinion.

Koa is a cocker right? Cosmo is half cocker but totally got the poodle brains. But my parents had a cockapoo that was more cocker like and not as smart as Cosmo.

she really has me spoiled and that is why I'm thinking of a sheltie for the next dog because they are so smart (would LOVE a border collie but they are too much energy for us).
    I'm working on Dh to get a puppy in 1-2 years. Cosmo is 6.5 now so she won't be too old for a puppy and can help us teach her. Plus I figure that if I don't get a baby before that, at least I can get a puppy and that is sort of like a new baby for me.

My parents currently have a shih tzu bichon mix....he's a dope. Took him almost two years to fully get potty training. Cosmo took about two weeks.
    My mom tells him all the time he is lucky that he is so cute. LOL Very cute boy, very sweet but definitely not the brightest little guy.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by sunrider View Post
    We had a second rat terrier for about 3 years, but we just didn't give her training the same time and effort we did Jedi's. We lost her to complications from canine GME.
    I'm sorry. I had to google GME as I never heard of that before.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Toyota's new slogan should be "Toyota: Moving forward...even when you don't want to."

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I confess that I don't empty the litterbox when I'm pregnant even though I KNOW the cats don't have toxo, just because DH still thinks he SHOULD and I don't want to.

I have a toyota highlander hybrid, one of the few that WASN'T recalled.

Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    I confess that I don't empty the litterbox when I'm pregnant even though I KNOW the cats don't have toxo, just because DH still thinks he SHOULD and I don't want to.

I have a toyota highlander hybrid, one of the few that WASN'T recalled.
    Litter boxes should be the husbands job anyway. I don't have a cat but talked DH into thinking that cleaning the dog litter was his job.

I'm glad that your car wasn't on the recall! My sister was seriously considering a Prius and is glad that she didn't go for it.

The one thing I can't figure out is why the management book...The Toyota Way...is still in super high demand and usually has holds on it. Would seem to me that mabye their management style wasn't as superior as everyone though.....

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I'm sorry. I had to google GME as I never heard of that before.
    Thank you. We had never heard of it either. Evidently it's most common in the smaller breeds and more common in females than males. As heartbreaking as those 2 years were, it won't stop us from getting another rat terrier. She's been gone well over a year (22 Nov 2008) and DH and I both get sad and shed tears now and again. She had such spunk and attitude for a little thing.

Our girls . . . Jedi is the larger tricolor, Freya is the smaller brown and white. (Sorry so big . . .)

Changing the litter box is an equal opportunity job around here. Whoever gets to it first. I've been doing it for a long time since I grew up with cats, so I don't really mind. I actually think I do it better than DH because he doesn't always wash it with soap which I think is gross.

I confess Josh just went to the potty without being prompted or asking me and then helped himself to his treats. LOL

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I did not change the litter box with my first. With the twins, I requested a blood test to see if I'd ever been exposed, and through 30 years of cleaning litter boxes, I never had. I felt pretty safe and decided to just continue to do it very carefully. It is less work cleaning it than reminding dh to do it, and then reminding him again, and then reminding him again. It gets sifted twice a week and then completely changed out every two weeks, so if every time dh finally did it took 3 reminders, that is a lot of nagging. It would be bad for our relationship.

Krista, those dogs are adorable!

So turns out Kai does have an ear infection but only in one ear and not "raging". Dbf said this doctor was really good with Kai and took his time so Kai wasn't freaking out and crying. He also said the anti-b's were totally up to us. He did say that the infection may clear up on it's own but that with the cough/congestion/fever that he's worried Kai's body won't be able to fight the infection.
    So we've decided to go ahead and give him the meds. Same outcome, but I do feel better about it. He seems much better today. But I did just go up and check on him and he's wearing a pull up which I'm highly annoyed about. Dbf says, "He won't use the potty and I don't want to clean up accidents."
    I really am doing this parenting thing alone. Lame.

Quote Originally Posted by MammaMia View Post
    Bridget - I don't know how it is in the States, but here they often don't give kids antibiotics for ear infections, unless they're severe. They prefer to wait and see if they resolve by themselves. I would probably hold off on the meds and get a second opinion.
    My pedi does this as well. She doesn't give antibiotics unless absolutely necessary. I would get a second opinion. If Kai is still coughing he could very possibly be ill with something else that may need attention. If there were not other place to go I'd probably take him back and ask which ear he has an infection in, can they check it again and address the cough.

Erin

OMG, Krista, those dogs are so freakin' cute!

Cute doggies! I wish I could have a dog where we live.

Thanks all! We love em. I don't think I could live without a dog. Life never seems complete without one, and watching Jedi play with Liam is just awesome.

This is the funniest video ever! If you get a second, check it out. I laugh every time I watch it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhlUVyDBusg

Ashley - 25, Chris - 27, Elizabeth - 9-22-04, Alexis - 12-19-08

Quote Originally Posted by elmobo-n-lexi View Post
    This is the funniest video ever! If you get a second, check it out. I laugh every time I watch it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhlUVyDBusg
    I refuse.
    Janeen - 30, Jimi - 42; Married October 21st, 2006;

Quote Originally Posted by Janeen View Post
    I refuse.
    Don't then. See if I care.

Don't then. See if I care.
    Alright, FINE. I LOOKED!

Alright, FINE. I LOOKED!
    Knew you would!

That guy's a prick face huh?? LOL! If that were me working that night i'd be dying laughing through it all.

LOL but I WAS going to say that I'm mad at you because I feel like I never see you on here anymore! AND THEN I "find all posts" by you and see there's tons.

I was thinking you were on an APA hiatus but noooooooo, you're just hiding from me apparently!

That guy's a prick face huh?? LOL! If that were me working that night i'd be dying laughing through it all.
    I thought he was pretty lame lol...his rap sucked!

LOL but I WAS going to say that I'm mad at you because I feel like I never see you on here anymore! AND THEN I "find all posts" by you and see there's tons.

I was thinking you were on an APA hiatus but noooooooo, you're just hiding from me apparently!
    haha, no, not a hiatus. Just doing more lurking than anything else. Don't really have much to say anymore. Surprise, surprise.

I thought he was pretty lame lol...his rap sucked!
    Well, of COURSE his rapped sucked! That wasn't the point! LOL. The fact that the lady asked him to repeat it and he slowed it down and sped it up. OH gosh. I crack up watching his face as he's "singing" it!

haha, no, not a hiatus. Just doing more lurking than anything else. Don't really have much to say anymore. Surprise, surprise.

haha I know. I've been sticking to my original room lately pretty much. I like to read the drama though. And there's quite a bit of it lately. I can't keep up with this thread, and feel out of the loop 99% of the time, so......I just read and not post. lol