Page 277 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 1772272672752762772782792873273777771277 ... LastLast
Results 8,281 to 8,310 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

I think it goes well with our last name which is Raygor. James Richard Raygor.
    Janeen - 30, Jimi - 42; Married October 21st, 2006;

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I like the name switch, and I'm glad you clarified the tradition with your dh.

Tomorrow night I'm leaving Savana and Kai with my parents and meeting my friend for drinks for an hour or two. She was best friends, more like soul sisters, inseparable from my friend that was killed a few months ago. She says she just wants to laugh with someone and talk about Tracy like she's still here. My eyes are filling up just writing that.

Aww. I bet that will be really special for the both of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    Thank you! I had no idea Ms. Spy and I shared a birthday, so happy b-day to all of the Valentine's babies.

And Happy Valentine's Day to all of you!
    I just got on here and saw new name picks..I have to admit, Soren Severin, when put together, sound awfully painful
    Happy Belated Birthday
    Me: Julie-46 DH: Kelly-52 DD: Rhianna-17 DS: Gage-He's 3!

I like Quinn. I think it goes well with Claire and Ronin.
    So last night at my new women's group last night I mentioned I went to culinary school, and kind of joked that I could do a cooking class for the group. Well eyes widened and heads turned and I was like oh crap. The next day the organizer e mailed me and asked if I would still do it. I said yes, and we set up some loose details for sometime next month. I posted it as an idea and 8 women have liked it so far. I have never done a cooking class before! LOL
    I'm going to start with someting really easy for the first one--I was thinking of teaching my home made taco seasoning. (not as much sodium and no weird preservatives like the store bought envelopes) Tacos are easy so if I get really nervous I shouldn't screw it up too badly.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I like Quinn, but dh is concerned about the trend toward making it a girl's name. It could end up being the next Leslie. Also, I could very easily end up saying "Quaire" and "Clinn" if I'm in a rush.

Dh actually suggested Severin all on his own last week, and I liked it a lot.

Kate, I think it's really cool that you're going to do a cooking class!

Severin reminds me of Slytherin and Severus Snape from Harry Potter. It's just too offbeat for me...but don't listen to me, Joshua was the most popular the year he was born! (we did not know that, at the time)

Ooh, that's good to know, actually. That is a big drawback.

I don't dislike Severin, but I'm confused because I don't know whether I should be pronouncing it the French way or the English way so I don't want to say it at all. I do really like Soren, though.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

11. Default

I have a cousin named Soren!

I like Soren and Sagan. And Quinn. Though Quinn was on my list for Haley.

There are like 15 people interested in my cooking class now, but when we actually get it up on the calendar I really have to set it for 10 or less. My house isn't that big!
    I was just going to do the taco seasoning, but now I think that might be kind of lame. Does anyone else have ideas for something simple you'd like to learn how to do (or that you think other people might like to learn?)

If I was going to a cooking class, I would like to leave knowing how to make at least a main course, maybe a full meal so I could go home and try it out on my family. Something elegant and interesting, but fast and easy to prepare. Maybe something exotic, like Thai or Indian, but not everyone is into that. I was going to sign up for both Thai and Indian cooking classes at the local college when dh and I were childless. Whatever the case, if you prepare everything ahead of time, have it chopped and in separate bowls, and if you have your recipe out, it should not be quite as overwhelming or time-consuming.

Or you could just ask them what they're interested in.

Yeah, I posted on the message board, but got no response yet. I figured I'd get more of a response here. LOL
    I totally take knowing how to cook for granted so I don't know if I would think of the really obvious things people would like to know. At the last meeting I heard a couple people say they don't know how to cook. I thought about teaching techniques that are elusive to some, like how to make a smooth gravy from scratch or how to thicken a sauce. But I think you're right, it would be more interesting to learn an entree.

What about steak or chicken fajitas? Then you could still showcase the taco seasoning. You could have everything chopped and shredded ahead of time...or maybe a mexican pizza of sorts with a homemade crust?

I don't actually cook a lot of Mexican food. I do tacos once in a while which is pretty much the only time I use the home made taco seasoning.
    One thing I was thinking but wasn't sure if it was too simple, was a chicken breast thing I do that's topped with Fontina cheese and prosciutto. It's really good, and easy. You just sear the chicken, top it and broil it for a few minutes. Do you think that's too boring?
    Another thing I could do is beef stroganoff. I have a good recipe I just made a few days ago. (and a couple tricks I learned to shorten the process and add depth of flavor) My specialty is soups and stews, but they are too time consuming for a couple hour class.

I think the chicken breast sounds really good, and if most of the women aren't comfortable cooking it should be simple enough not to intimidate them too much. I would go with that and maybe a salad or side so they could have a complete meal.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I could do a salad or I could have everyone bring a salad. I just joined this group--I still feel a little uncomfortable with all the focus being on me! We'll see though. I just emailed the chicken idea to the organizer and mentioned either making a salad or having people bring one.

All this talk of food is making me hungry.

I think it's great that you're doing this Kate!

Thanks It's exciting. I just hope they don't expect much. I've always liked cooking and had a knack for it but I'm no celebrity chef. Truthfully I don't usually even follow recipes unless it's something I've never done before, so it'll be interesting teaching them how to actually do something instead of just throwing it together LOL
    Last edited by daylilies; 02-20-2010 at 03:19 PM.

I like the chicken breast idea, Kate. I totally think you could handle a salad, too. Most people have no idea how easy it is to make an interesting and flavorful vinaigrette that compliments a meal.

I could do it, but it would be interesting to see what other people bring and not have the whole thing be focused on me (then again people might like that--to not have to bring anything except their preferred drink).

I confess I still haven't spoken to my MIL since she called Josh and DH and me lazy for him not being PT yet. They are planning on going over there for dinner and while the time off is nice while they go out, I just wish my husband would stand united with me on SOMETHING. And I don't agree that him being around someone who calls him names (his own grandmother, no less) is healthy for Josh. And then there is the constant swearing, and the secondhand smoke. Like I need more reasons for none of us to ever go over there ever. I don't know why my husband doesn't have a spine.

DH took Josh up for a nap and I am downstairs watching them on the monitor. DH is reading him a book in such a terrible, monotone voice, he might as well be a robot.

I had a really rough morning. The whole inlaw disagreement came up again and I am still seething over it. How can he think it's okay for anyone to call Josh lazy? What is up with this sudden loyalty towards his parents, when he ran away from home at 16 and has never liked how his parents raised him? Now he thinks it's okay for them to treat Josh the same way? And WTH was I thinking, moving around the corner from them?

26. Default

I confess I am researching double strollers so that I can finally buy one...

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    DH took Josh up for a nap and I am downstairs watching them on the monitor. DH is reading him a book in such a terrible, monotone voice, he might as well be a robot.

I had a really rough morning. The whole inlaw disagreement came up again and I am still seething over it. How can he think it's okay for anyone to call Josh lazy? What is up with this sudden loyalty towards his parents, when he ran away from home at 16 and has never liked how his parents raised him? Now he thinks it's okay for them to treat Josh the same way? And WTH was I thinking, moving around the corner from them?
    Sorry about the family drama.

Quote Originally Posted by atenielle View Post
    I confess I am researching double strollers so that I can finally buy one...
    I think I need to do that as well, but my tight wad husband thinks we won't need one....I'm not so sure!

Tomorrow is the day I am telling my boss and co-workers that I'm pregnant...I just don't know what to say to them....I'll feel weird being all like, 'you guys, I'm pregnant.' LOL...I dunno.

28. Default

Quote Originally Posted by silverstar View Post
    I think I need to do that as well, but my tight wad husband thinks we won't need one....I'm not so sure!
    We don't have one yet, because B didn't think we'd need one either. But with my mom watching the girls while I work, She can't take them anywhere other than the grocery store cause she can't carry them both at once!

I dont mind having Charlie in the sling, and Audri in the stroller, but my mom isn't comfortable with the sling. and as charlie gets bigger, it won't be as comfy for her to be in the sling either.. (and I think my mei tai is still in missouri.. )

Josh stopped using the stroller when he was about 2, but I don't know if that's typical. It turned out that if I was taking him somewhere, I wanted him to burn energy, not sit down the whole time. If we go to the mall and he wants to ride I splurge on those little car carts.

Quote Originally Posted by silverstar View Post
    Tomorrow is the day I am telling my boss and co-workers that I'm pregnant...I just don't know what to say to them....I'll feel weird being all like, 'you guys, I'm pregnant.' LOL...I dunno.
    Good luck! I've been reading a book about working parents, and it discusses telling the coworkers and boss. It seems like a lot of this is geared toward very ambitious career-driven women, but it recommends stating it very matter-of-factly, then mentioning approx. when you expect to start leave, and then discussing your plans for finishing projects and dealing with replacements. It makes a point of saying don't be disappointed if they aren't as thrilled as you are, because they're mostly thinking of how they'll deal with your absence and wondering if you'll return.

--------------

My children have only ever barely tolerated a stroller. Like Kate, I need them to get out their excess energy if we go somewhere too, so I try to let them walk or run. They can easily walk a mile, more easily at this point than I can. The only time I ever really use the stroller is if I need to have a place to park them for a minute (like in the dentist's office while I'm filling out paperwork) or if I need them confined while I use my hands so they won't break or mess with stuff (like in a store). I figure when the new baby gets here, I'll use the double stroller if I need to for the same reasons above and wear the little one, or put the little one in a stroller and hold hands with the twins.

----------------

Kate, it sounds like you're at that point when everything dh does annoys you. I've been there! It usually happens when I'm upset about something big that's not resolved, like you are upset with the laziness comment and the general feeling he's not got your family's back, and then it carries over into everything else he's doing. I hate hate hate it when I feel like that, because it contributes to dh getting testy in return and then we'll have a few months where we interpret each other's comments and actions negatively, get defensive, get even more annoyed or angry, etc. It tends to spiral out of control if I don't manage it very quickly, and I hate the way I feel and what it does to our relationship. Luckily, it's been many years since we had one of those cycles. What I've learned to do is (1) NOT let myself get annoyed at things that have nothing to do with the issue, (2) TRY very hard to look at the positive--like in your example of him reading the book, just be glad that he's reading with him, (3) Resolve the underlying issue if it's resolvable or do my best to get over it because it won't change.

I do tend to get annoyed or nitpicky about inconsequential things, so it's been a huge struggle and hopefully improvement over the past decade to get to a point where I realize what's happening and consciously try to correct it.

---------------------------

Mandy, I'm sorry about your uncle. My condolences to you and your family, and sorry even more about the stress from your mom.

---------------------------

Janeen, your nursery looks nice. I love all the wallpaper and chalk guitar suggestions. I don't know why I don't post in May DD more, but look how I'm conserving my post count here!

--------------------------

Bridget, how did your evening go with your friend?

--------------------------

I confess I've gotten very lazy with housework since dh has been gone. I normally empty the dishwasher and sweep the floors while the twins are eating breakfast, but yesterday I ended up having to change a really difficult lightbulb that I'd never changed before (I miss dh! and I can't believe how incompetent I was!) and my whole schedule got thrown off so I ended up letting clean dishes sit in the dishwasher, clean laundry sit in the dryer, and I ended up not sweeping until dinnertime. This is not like me.