Page 273 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 173 223 263271272273274275 283 323 373 773 1273 ... LastLast
Results 8,161 to 8,190 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

I just took Mia to the fridge and asked her what she wanted to eat. She finds a revolting, half-rotten piece of old ginger and said "Want to eat this mama!"

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Mia sounds like an adventurous eater!

I am annoyed at my dad, who called to wish me a happy birthday, and then asked if I would be bringing the three children up to Wyoming on my maternity leave. I told him I couldn't do it on my own, we don't have any other vacation, and I would still be recovering from my C-Section. He then suggested my mom could bring the twins.

For one thing, my mom can't walk them up to the end of the block. For another, my dad is perfectly capable of coming here, and actually spends more time with them when he flies down for a weekend because he's always working at home. Finally, I have recently realized I only made it alive and unscathed to adulthood because my mom served as a protective influence--he puts the twins up on the kitchen counters and leaves them, lets them run out of museums into parking lots unattended, and lets them pick up pieces of plant and eat them when we go for walks. He doesn't believe in sunscreen. Luckily, I have vowed to never leave them unattended with them, so they haven't gotten burnt or run over. But there is no way I'll send them up to Wyoming without me.

shutterbird Guest

Oh wow, Lydia. I remember you posting about his recklessness before. I don't blame you for not thinking twice about sending the twins to him. Oy!

And... Happy Birthday & 3rd Trimester!

Happy Birthday, Lydia!
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I don't blame you for being annoyed Lydia! Parents can be so nutty sometimes. It really is a wonder we survived to adulthood.

Poor Mia is still sick. She was sooo clingy this morning that I was getting seriously worried about her. Now she's back to laughing at her own farts and demanding to go to the playground, so I guess she's not that sick.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    I used to be such a huge fan of Sarah McLachlan, so I wish I'd seen her carrying the torch.
    My favorite Sarah McLachlan song

Dear God
    Hope you got the letter and...
    I pray you can make it better down here
    I don't mean a big reduction in the price of beer
    But all the people that you made in your image
    See them starving on their feet
    Cause they don't get enough to eat
    From God
    I can't believe in you
    Dear God
    Sorry to disturb you but...
    I feel that I should be hear loud and clear
    We all need a big reduction
    In the amount of tears
    And all the people that you made in your image
    See them fighting in the street
    Cause they can't make opinions meet about God
    I can't believe in you
    Did you make disease
    and the diamond blue?
    Did you make mankind
    after we made you?
    And the devil too?
    Dear God,
    Don't know if you noticed but...
    Your name is on a lot of quotes in this book
    And as crazy humans wrote it
    you should take a look
    And all the people that you made in your image
    Still believeing that junk is true
    Well I know it ain't and so do you, dear God
    I can't believe in
    I don't believe in
    I won't believe in heaven and hell
    no saints no sinners no devil as well
    no pearly gate no thorny crown
    you're always letting us humans down
    the wars you bring
    the babes you drown
    those lost at sea and never found
    and it's all the same the whole world round
    the hurt I see helps to compound
    That Father, Son, and Holy Ghost
    is just somebody's unholy hoax
    And if you're up there you'd perceive
    That my heart's here upon my sleeve
    If there's one thing I don't believe in...
    It's you, dear God.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

That is a good song--the original is by Xtc. So many of her songs mean so much to me. No other artist has had that meaning for me before, or since her...but I am just disappointed in her recent work, and I'm not even that interested in the upcoming Lilith fair.
    Last edited by daylilies; 02-15-2010 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    That is a good song--the original is by Xtc. So many of her songs mean so much to me. No other artist has had that meaning for me before, or since her...but I am just disappointed in her recent work, and I'm not even that interested in the upcoming Lilith fair.
    I didn't even know that there was someone on that song before. LOL I haven't heard much of the recent things.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I confess that I'm working on my Scholastic book fair board today! WooHoo! Our book fair starts next week!!

shutterbird Guest

How fun, Jenny!

I love book fairs!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Ooh, a book fair sounds like fun!

I have only hear the XTC version of Dear God. I had no idea Sarah McLachlan sings it, too, but I bet she does a good job.

XTC generally has very interesting, bizarre, or scandalous lyrics. They did a song about male organs called "Pink Thing." I thought it was amusing.

You make me want to laugh, you make me want to cry
    So why is it I'm happy when there's tears down in your eye?
    So... my dh is going to India for three weeks. He's leaving the day after tomorrow. I'm thinking about trying to focus on India for kids' activities, songs, exercises, artwork, food, etc. while he's gone. Does anyone know of any good sources or sites for teaching preschoolers about other countries and cultures? I'm trying to stay upbeat and excited and strong, but I'm already lonely and he hasn't even left yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post

So... my dh is going to India for three weeks. He's leaving the day after tomorrow. I'm thinking about trying to focus on India for kids' activities, songs, exercises, artwork, food, etc. while he's gone. Does anyone know of any good sources or sites for teaching preschoolers about other countries and cultures? I'm trying to stay upbeat and excited and strong, but I'm already lonely and he hasn't even left yet.

Hugs Lydia.

You can show them Riki-Tiki-Tavi. My trio love that movie! How about a visit to an Indian grocery store? I just happened upon one yesterday with my family and the trio and I had a grand ole' time browsing through the aisles while dh dealt with getting our new cell phones.

Mmmm...yes, you'll have to make chicken korma! That's one of Travis'(and my) favorite meals!

Where is Erin?
    Huge hugs Lydia. Three weeks is a long time. At least you'll have us.

You guys will help me pull through this, believe me! AND... (I'm really excited about this) I have a playdate set up with demigraf, who used to hang out in the secular room. She moved to a nearby city and I'm irrationally excited about meeting her.

You guys will help me pull through this, believe me! AND... (I'm really excited about this) I have a playdate set up with demigraf, who used to hang out in the secular room. She moved to a nearby city and I'm irrationally excited about meeting her.
    Oh demigraf! Fun!! I wondered what had happened to her!

Hugs Lydia! I hope it goes by quickly and that he brings you guys some neat souvenirs.

I was wondering where Erin is too. Anyone have her on their Facebook?

We took Mia to the doctor today and he recommended I keep her home another couple of days. I've already had her home since Thursday. The cabin fever is really getting to us!!

shutterbird Guest

I think Erin's sister is still visiting, but I might be wrong. Her mama is also very sick, so I'm sure that's taking up a lot of her time and energy.

Erin, if you're lurking: , & !

Janeen - 30, Jimi - 42; Married October 21st, 2006;

Bridget.
    I was a few days behind in reading posts and just saw your juice post. I would have flipped on my dh and his friend if that went down at my house. I have a short temper with idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Bridget.
    I was a few days behind in reading posts and just saw your juice post. I would have flipped on my dh and his friend if that went down at my house. I have a short temper with idiots.
    Thank you, Jenny. It makes me feel better that you would have flipped. You seem so level headed. Dbf makes me feel like I'm this crazy psycho sometimes.

And I am green with envy. She and I exchanged email addresses a while back. Say hi to her from me on your playdate. ;)
    Krista & Jonathan: Liam, our one and only, born 9 Sep 2008

I confess . . . . PHEW!!!

I got the job offer phone call yesterday afternoon and accepted. I'm disappointed there isn't a raise involved, yet I'm still thankful I'm not suddenly unemployed, and I'm not making less (there are folks in this job reorganization that are ending up taking pay cuts - assuming they accept the offer).

So . . . . Phew!!! Maybe I can get more sleep now. Well, when Liam is over this cold. The last 2 nights have been pure h3ll.
    Krista & Jonathan: Liam, our one and only, born 9 Sep 2008

Quote Originally Posted by sunrider View Post

I got the job offer phone call yesterday afternoon and accepted. I'm disappointed there isn't a raise involved, yet I'm still thankful I'm not suddenly unemployed, and I'm not making less (there are folks in this job reorganization that are ending up taking pay cuts - assuming they accept the offer).

So . . . . Phew!!! Maybe I can get more sleep now. Well, when Liam is over this cold. The last 2 nights have been pure h3ll.
    Yay for still having a job!
    Janeen - 30, Jimi - 42; Married October 21st, 2006;

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    Thank you, Jenny. It makes me feel better that you would have flipped. You seem so level headed. Dbf makes me feel like I'm this crazy psycho sometimes.
    I would have been super annoyed too. You are definitely not alone!

though I must admit that the dog threw up this morning and I just threw a tissue on it and told DH about it when he got home from work this morning. I was getting ready for work and was running late so I did leave the mess for him....

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by sunrider View Post

Congrats! That is a relief.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I confess I'm a little annoyed. I had a staff person email the library because her 8th grade daughter is writing a paper on Salk and the polio vaccine and the mom is getting research for the daughter. Ok get that we are a medical library...but our collection is for adults and the majority of it is recent clinical info for staff. Not historical and not for kids.
    Seems that sometimes the others in the library will help out because it's staff and not for us to judge on why they are requesting. We will even do lit searches for staff that are also in school (though I make those searches pretty broad so that they have to read the citations and pick which articles to use for papers).

Seriously, why wouldn't the mom just take this 8th grader to the public library? Why do the work for her? Wouldn't you rather your kid learns to find their own information and do their own work and learn to use a library?

I emailed her back and told her that the only thing we have in the collection is a DVD. But that the public library does have some books that would work for her daughter and even told her which database she could go through at the public library to access the online encyclopedia (and that if she had problems with that to check with the reference librarian). I also suggested a few websites that had some info that were reliable (like NOT wikiepedia. )

It's just annoying to think that the parents are getting the research....I'm pretty sure that the teachers want the kids to use the library and find some info themselves.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Are teachers even still expecting kids to use libraries or are they accepting internet as a source these days?

I win the Bad Mommy Award today. Mia has barely eaten in days because she's sick. I've been doing pretty well at not freaking out about it, but today I lost my cool and force-fed her two spoonfuls of bolognese sauce. I thought she might want more if I could get her to taste it, but it just made her cry hysterically.