Page 219 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 1191692092172182192202212292693197191219 ... LastLast
Results 6,541 to 6,570 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

  1. #6541
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,954

    Default

    Jennifer, you should come spend the winters here in AZ!
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  2. #6542
    3andMe's Avatar
    3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    21,520

    Default

    One of the main reasons I moved to the Bay Area was for the climate. Right now it's in the 50s and I'm freezing, but it doesn't get much colder than this, and rarely gets above 80. My perfect temp is between 72 and 80 degrees. Anything other than that, I'm too hot or too cold.

    Unfortunately, dh's perfect temperature is between 55 and 65 degrees. We have thermostat wars. We go outside and he's wearing shorts and I'm wearing fleece.


  3. #6543

    Default

    I love the weather in the Bay Area.

    It's 42 this morning and I'm cold! I wish I was back in Hawaii in the nice tropical weather.

  4. #6544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    Thinking of this made me laugh more because when I first got with DH, I thought it was strange that his stuff pokes out all the time and actually did some research that said most men's penises hang to one side. I can remember the percentage, but there was a percentage that hung to the right or left and a small minority hung in the middle and looked like pokey penis syndrome, which is what I call DH!!
    Tailors of high end mens' suits will ask during a fitting "Do you dress left or dress right?", and yes, they're basically asking "Which side does your penis like to drape itself?" I guess for the perfect fitting suit pants they cut it a little looser depending on how they "dress".
    Krista & Jonathan: Liam, our one and only, born 9 Sep 2008



  5. #6545

    Default

    I confess I'm completely conflicted about potty training.

    Tuesday at daycare pickup they told us Liam was saying pee pee and holding the front of his diaper. I'm sure he's seeing the bigger kids use the bathroom and getting ideas. I figured it would still be several months before I had to deal with potty training - not at 15 months!

    I don't think there are enough signs to indicate he's really ready to start. He has a dry diaper in the morning maybe 2-3 times a month and it's less often for naps. He doesn't take his diaper off, even if it's NOT covered by clothing. And I don't think the verbal communication is where it needs to be.

    I think it's great that daycare is going to be willing to work with him on this too, but I think they're pushing it too much. Yesterday at pickup we were told he peed in the potty. I was completely . I don't want to confuse him with attempts at PT at daycare but not at home. He has the incentive to be like the other little boys there, but not at home.
    Krista & Jonathan: Liam, our one and only, born 9 Sep 2008



  6. #6546

    Default

    Did they start PT without even talking to you about it?

  7. #6547
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,703

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gwennero View Post
    Jennifer, you should come spend the winters here in AZ!
    You know I have never been there before. Well I think that we were in the corner for like maybe 10 minutes drving from WI to Vegas and after than to San Fransico like 11 years ago.

    I do have a co-worker who likes to go to AZ for a week every Jan.

    Wasn't so bad leaving home this morning...it was actually not too bad at 10 above.

    Don't you have like really icky big spiders and lizzards and snakes and stuff like that though?

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  8. #6548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stephmama View Post
    Did they start PT without even talking to you about it?
    I think they did it once yesterday just to see what would happen and it worked. He ran out of diapers and they asked me to bring more and said 'Or you can bring some pullups!'
    Krista & Jonathan: Liam, our one and only, born 9 Sep 2008



  9. #6549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunrider View Post
    I think they did it once yesterday just to see what would happen and it worked. He ran out of diapers and they asked me to bring more and said 'Or you can bring some pullups!'
    IMO, that's just not cool. They should get your permission for something like that.

  10. #6550
    3andMe's Avatar
    3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    21,520

    Default

    I can see why you wouldn't be happy about it, but if your concern is partially because of the confusion of home vs daycare, I think it wouldn't be too confusing to PT at daycare and not at home. Children realize pretty quickly that there are things they can and can't do at home that are different elsewhere. Like here my kids can climb onto the table or jump on the couch, but they don't do it at other people's houses. I have heard that children in daycare PT more quickly because they see other children using the potty. I would LOVE for that kind of help with PT, because it is difficult. On the other hand, both of mine were able to pee on the potty around 12 months but it didn't mean they were ready.

    Liam still sounds a lot more ready at 15 months than mine are now. I'm going to try again in January and I'm totally dreading it.


  11. #6551

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    I can see why you wouldn't be happy about it, but if your concern is partially because of the confusion of home vs daycare, I think it wouldn't be too confusing to PT at daycare and not at home. Children realize pretty quickly that there are things they can and can't do at home that are different elsewhere. Like here my kids can climb onto the table or jump on the couch, but they don't do it at other people's houses. I have heard that children in daycare PT more quickly because they see other children using the potty. I would LOVE for that kind of help with PT, because it is difficult. On the other hand, both of mine were able to pee on the potty around 12 months but it didn't mean they were ready.

    Liam still sounds a lot more ready at 15 months than mine are now. I'm going to try again in January and I'm totally dreading it.
    Thank you Thank you Lydia. That too, is a good point - I was worried about confusing him with daycare/home differences.

    I'm just not getting enough signs at home that tell me he's ready, which is why those comments from daycare REALLY surprised me. I'm going to have to go post another thread or look at stickies in the PT room, just so I know what signals I should be looking for.

    Mentally I was thinking closer to 2 years just because that's what I hear from other mommas of boys, and "they" say boys train later than girls. I just didn't want to be like a friend's sister and not push PT till her son was over 4 and a half years old. I can't imagine that many diapers on the same kid, or what changing dirty ones would be like on a kid that age.

    I'm actually OK with what daycare has done so far. He IS going to want to copy the kids at daycare. I just don't want them pushing for me to do the same at home - more than I already have. I'm just so conflicted and lost about this. Last night we went shopping and I bought a big box of pullups and a potty chair. Now I'm wondering if I should return them. Or if daycare is going to continue to try it, should I send some pullups to daycare along with diapers?

    So many things to think about.
    Krista & Jonathan: Liam, our one and only, born 9 Sep 2008



  12. #6552
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    In a van, DOWN BY THE RIVER!
    Posts
    8,435

    Default

    I'd like to start PT with Travis as well; I think I might try after Christmas with no expectations and see how that goes.

    I've eaten so much junk food today it's not even funny. I feel icky now. I wish I could go for a run, but we got some snow today and it's about 28 degrees fahrenheit, so I ain't goin nowhere! LOL.

  13. #6553

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunrider View Post
    Thank you Thank you Lydia. That too, is a good point - I was worried about confusing him with daycare/home differences.

    I'm just not getting enough signs at home that tell me he's ready, which is why those comments from daycare REALLY surprised me. I'm going to have to go post another thread or look at stickies in the PT room, just so I know what signals I should be looking for.

    Mentally I was thinking closer to 2 years just because that's what I hear from other mommas of boys, and "they" say boys train later than girls. I just didn't want to be like a friend's sister and not push PT till her son was over 4 and a half years old. I can't imagine that many diapers on the same kid, or what changing dirty ones would be like on a kid that age.

    I'm actually OK with what daycare has done so far. He IS going to want to copy the kids at daycare. I just don't want them pushing for me to do the same at home - more than I already have. I'm just so conflicted and lost about this. Last night we went shopping and I bought a big box of pullups and a potty chair. Now I'm wondering if I should return them. Or if daycare is going to continue to try it, should I send some pullups to daycare along with diapers?

    So many things to think about.
    I believe that if you think he's not ready, then he probably isn't. I wouldn't feel pressure to potty train at home. Starting before they are ready, in my opinion, just makes for a prolonged potty training period and does not actually make it happen faster.
    I also agree with Lydia that he most likely won't be confused. I have a little girl at my daycare who asks to sit on the potty just because it's such an event around here as many children are newly potty trained, or in the midst, so we all go at regular intervals. She sits but rarely goes. I mentioned it to her mom who seemed, like you, to suddenly feel pressure and I told her that I really didn't feel she was ready either and I wasn't so much pushing it but I just didn't want to say no when she asked. Her mom was like, phew! I am not ready for that either!
    Next time daycare mentions it, I would just say, "You know, he's not showing much interest in going potty at home so I'm not going to push it just yet."
    He is still quite young.
    Oh, and changing a four year olds dirty diaper is NO FUN! Unfortunately I speak from experience on that one. And let me also throw in that I am a firm believer that pull ups are a marketing ploy.

  14. #6554
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer912 View Post
    Don't you have like really icky big spiders and lizzards and snakes and stuff like that though?
    Well, the lizards are adorable actually, so I don't mind them, and I'm fine with the snakes as long as they're not poisonous, but the spiders do creep me out. But you don't see them in winter because it's too cold. I think they hibernate.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  15. #6555
    3andMe's Avatar
    3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    21,520

    Default

    Don't forget the cockroaches!

    I lived in Mesa, Arizona, for a few years. When we cleaned out my housemate's storage shed to drive back to Wyoming, we saw a nest of black widow spiders. The whole drive back I felt things crawling on me.


  16. #6556
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    Don't forget the cockroaches!
    I see them every so often, but they haven't been terrible. The enormous beetle-like thing that I found in my living room that was too big around to fit under the rim of a large drinking glass ... that was bad. It was bigger than my hand, I think.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    I lived in Mesa, Arizona, for a few years. When we cleaned out my housemate's storage shed to drive back to Wyoming, we saw a nest of black widow spiders. The whole drive back I felt things crawling on me.
    Oh, ICK!!! I totally know that feeling!

    And I never knew you had lived in Mesa!

    And I confess, it was the last day of school today and some of my kid's parents actually sent me gifts ... which rarely happens. It really made my day! Huge tin of chocolate cookies, and a poinsettia. Sounds corny, but I started to get misty eyed, and I don't cry easily!
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  17. #6557

    Default

    I confess that I have absolutely nothing to confess but I wanted to say all the same


  18. #6558

    Default

    "Reserving judgments is a matter of infinite hope." F. Scott Fitzgerald

  19. #6559

    Default

    I confess I am wondering where Teneille is.
    Did someone pull the plug on her computer?
    A-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-ashle-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-y-y-y-y-y-y-y-y-y--y, where are you-u-u-u-u-u-u-u?
    Me: Julie-46 DH: Kelly-52 DD: Rhianna-17 DS: Gage-He's 3!

  20. #6560

    Default

    I confess I was twitchy driving all the way home from work behind some red van with the license plate "for u god"
    What? They actually bought the van with god's blessing? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
    *twitch*
    Me: Julie-46 DH: Kelly-52 DD: Rhianna-17 DS: Gage-He's 3!

  21. #6561
    3andMe's Avatar
    3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    21,520

    Default

    I confess I have accidentally read little bits of Faith Fiction before realizing it. Kindle has a list of the most popular books on Kindle, so I browse through there, look at book descriptions, and download anything that looks decent and is free. So there I am, happily reading a book, when one of the characters states that he doesn't know why he stopped praying but now he found his way again. I pause, wonder if that is just part of the story, and then a few pages later find another character talking about how faith in God is important because.... I usually stop there.

    Last week I was happily reading a horror story where the hero was an atheist, and it was going along swimmingly until the last few chapters when it was revealed that it wasn't a horror story--he had died and was essentially in purgatory along with these other souls, and even though they thought they were alive and trying to do things in this strange world, he was really just suffering because he didn't believe in God. Yes, I got the message.

    I think it's a really good marketing ploy to offer these books for free, but I wish it would be a little more obvious right from the start. Or in the description. I feel a little cheated, like I would feel if I was watching an entertaining tv show and then realized it was an Infomercial.

    Anyway, HI Ms. Spy! Good to see you! I'm happy that you are finding time away from the computer, but miss you! And I can't believe you don't have anything to confess about your cervix.


  22. #6562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    Last week I was happily reading a horror story where the hero was an atheist, and it was going along swimmingly until the last few chapters when it was revealed that it wasn't a horror story--he had died and was essentially in purgatory along with these other souls, and even though they thought they were alive and trying to do things in this strange world, he was really just suffering because he didn't believe in God. Yes, I got the message.

    I think it's a really good marketing ploy to offer these books for free, but I wish it would be a little more obvious right from the start. Or in the description. I feel a little cheated, like I would feel if I was watching an entertaining tv show and then realized it was an Infomercial.
    Sneaky! A little too much like lying for my taste. Isn't there a commandment or something about that?
    Norah! (3 yr)

  23. #6563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maggie View Post
    Sneaky! A little too much like lying for my taste. Isn't there a commandment or something about that?
    Krista & Jonathan: Liam, our one and only, born 9 Sep 2008



  24. #6564

    Default

    I just found out I have a nickel allergy. WTF.

  25. #6565

    Default

    I confess I'm about to fall asleep at my desk at work. It's been a rough couple of nights.
    I have another confession, too, but don't know if I should . . .
    Krista & Jonathan: Liam, our one and only, born 9 Sep 2008



  26. #6566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stephmama View Post
    I just found out I have a nickel allergy. WTF.
    I have it too! Guess how I found out...this is amazing. My wedding ring is white gold, which is a gold/nickel alloy. So yeah, I'm allergic to my wedding ring. I still haven't gotten it replaced. I'm a bad wife.

    Apparently, nickel allergies are really common. AND VERY ANNOYING.
    Norah! (3 yr)

  27. #6567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maggie View Post
    I have it too! Guess how I found out...this is amazing. My wedding ring is white gold, which is a gold/nickel alloy. So yeah, I'm allergic to my wedding ring. I still haven't gotten it replaced. I'm a bad wife.

    Apparently, nickel allergies are really common. AND VERY ANNOYING.


    I just found out because I did some patch testing. I've been getting a rash since I got pregnant with M from my wedding ring. I thought it's because I was getting fat and never made the connection.

    I just bought a nickel testing kit.

    I'm also allergic to neomycin sulfate. No neosporin for me!

  28. #6568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maggie View Post
    Sneaky! A little too much like lying for my taste. Isn't there a commandment or something about that?
    I think the point is to try to trick people. Why do evangelicals try to trick people into converting? I would think that should be perceived as dishonoring their own religion. Isn't the point that you choose to believe, not that you are tricked/threatened?



  29. #6569

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunrider View Post
    I confess I'm about to fall asleep at my desk at work. It's been a rough couple of nights.
    I have another confession, too, but don't know if I should . . .
    You should because I want to know!!!!

    Erin

  30. #6570
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,703

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    Don't forget the cockroaches!

    I lived in Mesa, Arizona, for a few years. When we cleaned out my housemate's storage shed to drive back to Wyoming, we saw a nest of black widow spiders. The whole drive back I felt things crawling on me.
    Oh Ewwwww!!!!

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •