Page 214 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 1141642042122132142152162242643147141214 ... LastLast
Results 6,391 to 6,420 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by Janeen View Post
    When my sister gives Jimi crap about his religion and how he is a non-believer, he says "Oh I believe, I believe he was probably a pretty kick ass guy who liked to drink and do really cool stuff."
    LOL Yeah I'm not a history buff or anything but my DH is pretty into it and I think I remember him talking (I tend to zone out a bit when he is going about history stuff) and saying that they know he was a real man and have historical evidence of that. And he probably did like to drink.

My favorites though were the ancient Greeks. I mean it is so sad that we went from a pretty long lifespan and people that were so smart and advanced....to the dark ages. Thanks christianity! Had we not missed all that time, we might be so much further along right now.

Plus the Greeks weren't afraid of their gay side and like to drink and party.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer912 View Post
    Plus the Greeks weren't afraid of their gay side and like to drink and party.
    Krista & Jonathan: Liam, our one and only, born 9 Sep 2008

Even better was my prof told us that the best way to read Plato was with a nice glass of wine.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I confess...well I don't know what I'm exactly feeling. Upset for sure and really bothered.

Someone I know very well recently had eye surgery at a speciality place that has a good rep and is in a big city. It's associated with a medical school. Anyway surgery goes fine and afterwards doctor comes in and says while it was fine, it was compromised. Basically what happened is that an instruement that was used on someone else was than used on my relative!!! So they are testing this person and my relative and hoping and praying that no diseases show up.
    The kicker is that my relative has AIDS....he has had it for over 20 years. Not HIV but full out AIDS. They knew this at the eye place. So they are so lucky that he was the second and not the first patient. But if that first patient has anything, that can really screw over my relative because obviously his immune system is compromised. Plus he was saying that while he already has AIDS, that there are other strains of HIV and that those he could get and could kill him because his drugs wouldn't work with them.

I know that they should always be very very careful and not assume about patients....but you would think that knowing that they had a guy with AIDS coming through that they would be even more careful.

He has a follow-up and we are just hoping that the first patient's blood work comes back ok. Not sure yet about this adverse incident was reported or if any legal action could be taken.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I confess...well I don't know what I'm exactly feeling. Upset for sure and really bothered.

Someone I know very well recently had eye surgery at a speciality place that has a good rep and is in a big city. It's associated with a medical school. Anyway surgery goes fine and afterwards doctor comes in and says while it was fine, it was compromised. Basically what happened is that an instruement that was used on someone else was than used on my relative!!! So they are testing this person and my relative and hoping and praying that no diseases show up.
    The kicker is that my relative has AIDS....he has had it for over 20 years. Not HIV but full out AIDS. They knew this at the eye place. So they are so lucky that he was the second and not the first patient. But if that first patient has anything, that can really screw over my relative because obviously his immune system is compromised. Plus he was saying that while he already has AIDS, that there are other strains of HIV and that those he could get and could kill him because his drugs wouldn't work with them.

I know that they should always be very very careful and not assume about patients....but you would think that knowing that they had a guy with AIDS coming through that they would be even more careful.

He has a follow-up and we are just hoping that the first patient's blood work comes back ok. Not sure yet about this adverse incident was reported or if any legal action could be taken.
    Oh wow! I hope everything is okay!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

How scary, Jennifer! I would think that since they are being open about it, it would have been reported. It is mandatory in these situations and they will probably be inspected a lot by the regulatory agencies in the next year. And they will need to evaluate their systems and processes to determine how the failure occurred and what will prevent more incidents like this in the future.

I'm not sure about legal action, but I think it can only be done if there is demonstrable harm, such as if your relative does contract anything because of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    How scary, Jennifer! I would think that since they are being open about it, it would have been reported. It is mandatory in these situations and they will probably be inspected a lot by the regulatory agencies in the next year. And they will need to evaluate their systems and processes to determine how the failure occurred and what will prevent more incidents like this in the future.

I'm not sure about legal action, but I think it can only be done if there is demonstrable harm, such as if your relative does contract anything because of this.
    Makes sense. It was a cataract surgery so hopefully the person before him was an older person without anything.

They definitely need a change in process if something like this could happen.

I'm worried about him but at the same time I'm really glad that he wasn't the first patient. Every since he found out he had AIDS in the early 80's, he has always been very vocal and upfront about it with medical staff because he didn't want to make anyone else sick.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Makes sense. It was a cataract surgery so hopefully the person before him was an older person without anything.

They definitely need a change in process if something like this could happen.

I'm worried about him but at the same time I'm really glad that he wasn't the first patient. Every since he found out he had AIDS in the early 80's, he has always been very vocal and upfront about it with medical staff because he didn't want to make anyone else sick.
    I just can't imagine that happening in the medical field. How does an instrument not get sterilized between patients? Scary stuff man.

While I'm sure he was not happy about being diagnosed with AIDS in the early 80's, how awesome is it that he's chucking along with the help of meds 25-30 years later? And he has my respect that he's vocal and upfront about it with medical staff. Good man. I know that was OT, but wanted to say that.

Quote Originally Posted by sunrider View Post

While I'm sure he was not happy about being diagnosed with AIDS in the early 80's, how awesome is it that he's chucking along with the help of meds 25-30 years later? And he has my respect that he's vocal and upfront about it with medical staff. Good man. I know that was OT, but wanted to say that.
    Yeah he is a fighter for sure! We never expected this. I was told when I was 13 because he was pretty sick...so that would be 18 years ago. And again when I was 16 and went to France he wasn't doing so hot and we agreed that if he went while I was gone (3 weeks) they wouldn't tell me until I got back...why ruin a once in a lifetime trip? So he wanted to see me graduate high school, than my sister, than it was college and we was there for both of us for college and even grad school. After that, goal was to see us married. Got that for me (sister isn't dating anyone right now so who knows). Now he's waiting to see some kids. Been trying on that front. It's kind of hard right now...while the meds have kept him alive, they have taken their toll. His back is bad and can't do any more surgeries on it. His heart has issues and something about the vertebrea in his neck are collapsing.

But my mom is planning on bringing up him late next summer to see my new house and see where I live! It will be a 4.5 hour drive and they are planning a lot of stops to get out and stretch.

He is a really cool and interesting guy.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

His back is bad and can't do any more surgeries on it. His heart has issues and something about the vertebrea in his neck are collapsing.
    Has any part of his back been fused?

If it hasn't and it's anything like pinched nerves from compressed disks, I got quite a lot of back pain relief from IDD therapy. It's non-surgical and non-invasive. It just can't be done if you've had vertebra in your back fused together.

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Janeen View Post
    In Wyoming yeah?
    Yup

Do you know when you're headed back to WY?
    The 28th or 29th

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I confess I'm making red beans and rice tonight for dinner.

However, the last time I ate them was 13 years ago, and the first time I got meningitis. I was in the hospital and in so much pain, and every time I was given a shot of Demerol I projectile-vomited. I splattered partially digested red beans and rice over the walls of the ER cubicle. I haven't eaten it since then.

Anyway, today I am getting sick, and I have a migraine and I'm feeling nauseated, and instead of looking forward to dinner tonight (which I was when I planned my meals this week) all I can think about was how much I puked the last time I had them.

Sorry this was gross.

I'm like that with curry.

Maybe you will feel better if you plan on something else for dinner? Sounds like you and the cajuns don't get along very well.

However, the last time I ate them was 13 years ago, and the first time I got meningitis. I was in the hospital and in so much pain, and every time I was given a shot of Demerol I projectile-vomited. I splattered partially digested red beans and rice over the walls of the ER cubicle. I haven't eaten it since then.

Anyway, today I am getting sick, and I have a migraine and I'm feeling nauseated, and instead of looking forward to dinner tonight (which I was when I planned my meals this week) all I can think about was how much I puked the last time I had them.

Sorry this was gross.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Crap, Lydia, you had meningitis? That is so scary! Trying to be positive: at least you won't have ruined another meal by associating nausea with, I don't know, turkey burgers?

Jennifer - I hope everything is okay.

Why is everything scary? I'm too stressed and sensitive to everyone else's issues today. You know those days? I'm crying over every semi-emotional story on the radio and cringing and stressing over APA troubles. I must chill. I'm not even PMSing. Whats the dealio?
    Norah! (3 yr)

Sorry this was gross.
    I REALLY hope you don't get sick from them. If I were you and I did, I would never eat them again!!!

Oh, and it wasn't gross to me. I make a good batch of red beans and rice in the slow cooker and LOVE them!

I had a similar incident when I was a child with onion rings. I didn't eat them for 15 years and was afraid when I finally got the courage to do so. They were really good and now I love me some onion rings.

Erin

I mentioned before a story of when I got sick from fried clams as a kid. I used to love fried clams, but now I don't really ever eat them anymore.
    DH got sick after eating ham a couple years ago and still can't really think about it. He can eat it if he doesn't have a chance to think about it beforehand, though.

I confess hi ladies!

Hi! I was thinking about you today. One of the threads you started got bumped up. (the one where you asked when people knew they were done with their relationship) What's up?

19. Default

I can only think of one thing I cant consume anymore cause it made me sick... Jagermeister. lol...

Some air force dude tried tellin me that girls cant do Jagerbombs.. so I challenged him. In 15 minutes he did 4... I did 7. Then threw up.. lol I still won.

Quote Originally Posted by MammaMia View Post
    I confess hi ladies!
    Hey there stranger. How are you?
    Norah! (3 yr)

Has any part of his back been fused?

If it hasn't and it's anything like pinched nerves from compressed disks, I got quite a lot of back pain relief from IDD therapy. It's non-surgical and non-invasive. It just can't be done if you've had vertebra in your back fused together.
    Not entirely sure what he done but he had a few back surgeries. They were going to do another but said his heart wouldn't take it.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I don't really do beans myself. Just tolerate them in say chili.

But I feel that way about tequila. I just didn't handle that so well last time so now I stick to brandy, rum or vodka.

Actually I used to do a Friday fish fry with DH when we were dating and this one time I got sick at the restaurant and I wouldn't ever eat there again....and it was one of those places we went for a few years several times a month. I don't believe it was the food that made me so sick but still.....

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I confess....I'm trying REALLY hard to not get my hopes up. I'm on cd 25 and while not temping, I have been keeping track and estimate ovulation to be cd 12. I have shorter cycles...after two years average is 25 days with a bit shorter of an lp with several days of spotting. So I'm probably about 13 dpo today and no spotting at all yet. After 2.5 years of trying, I pretty much assume that it's not going to work. I still think that it won't work this month but tiny bit of hope trying to peak in there.

I haven't really been stressing much about ttc anymore, been thinking about the house too much. We officially close on the land next week and today we went and picked out the siding color. We are going with this http://www.certainteed.com/products/...siding/309977# if the color doesn't show, it's the pacific blue. We didn't want another beige/tan/gray/white house.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Hi! I was thinking about you today. One of the threads you started got bumped up. (the one where you asked when people knew they were done with their relationship) What's up?
    Quote Originally Posted by maggie View Post
    Hey there stranger. How are you?
    My thread got bumped? I missed that. I'm fine. Things are fairly stable with DH at the moment, though admittedly we've been so busy with other stuff that we haven't had time to argue.

How are you guys??

I confess....I'm trying REALLY hard to not get my hopes up. I'm on cd 25 and while not temping, I have been keeping track and estimate ovulation to be cd 12. I have shorter cycles...after two years average is 25 days with a bit shorter of an lp with several days of spotting. So I'm probably about 13 dpo today and no spotting at all yet. After 2.5 years of trying, I pretty much assume that it's not going to work. I still think that it won't work this month but tiny bit of hope trying to peak in there.
    Good luck!

We're okay! Kind of in the same boat as you, not enough time to argue. (oh we squeeze a few in though don't worry LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    We're okay! Kind of in the same boat as you, not enough time to argue. (oh we squeeze a few in though don't worry LOL)
    Us too. It's like we're doing just fine, then he says or does something that irks me and I can't get it off my mind. It's just...ugh. We'll see how things go after the holiday season is over.

I confess...I'm addicted to cooking shows.

Which cooking shows do you like?

Oooooooo cooking shows. I'm really missing cable right now. I haven't had cable since...wow, since I lived with my parents, so, I guess 10 years ago. And I usually don't care, but just in the last couple of months I've been daydreaming about lots of channels. That sounds even lamer when I type it out than it did in my head. I'm totally not even kidding.

So yeah, what cooking shows are good these days?
    Norah! (3 yr)

I get all the British shows over here, probably nothing you guys would have seen. Maybe Nigella Lawson? I've flirted with the idea of going to culinary school, but I don't think I could handle being a chef. I just love to cook!

Oh I've heard of Nigella, but I'm not sure who she is. I used to watch a lot of food tv but not recently. I also remember watching PBS cooking shows on Saturday with my mom. That was a lot of fun. We also used to read cookbooks together, and bookmark the ones that sounded good...