Page 177 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 771271671751761771781791872272776771177 ... LastLast
Results 5,281 to 5,310 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

No god No peace vs. know god know peace

I think that swings both ways. I think they are assuming that if you have no god, you'll have chaos, which is an option. But knowing god doesn't automatically give you peace...it would probably give me less peace, trying to figure the whole thing out.

I like things simple. Science is enough for me.

Those church signs aren't meant to make sense, they are written to be cutesy or clever using very few words. If you start picking apart those things, your head will just hurt.
    The sign outside my UU church growing up used to use big pieces of paper with typed lettering on them. You could fit a nice big quote by Thoreau or somebody like that on it.

Quote Originally Posted by elmobo-n-lexi View Post
    ummmmmm I have no words! LOL. I read a church sign one day that said "the family that prays together stays together".
    UMMMMMMM NOT!!! hahahah we never prayed ONCE in my family growing up and my parents are going on 30 years of marriage. Meanwhile, my best friend from grade school's parents were SUPER DUPER churchy, prayed for every meal, blah blah. Then when I was 12 we found out her dad had cheated on her mom for years and they got divorced 8 years into their marriage. UMMMMM yeah! LOL
    I saw one that said the exact same thing I was like
    6[/B] pounds down 34 more to go!

Hmmm...how peaceful was the inquisition? The Witch hunts? Afghanistan? Israel?

I just read the other day that in Nigeria that the church elders had 'outed' over 26,000 children in the last 10 years for being a witch The pic showed a 10 year old girl with a scar on her forehead where her mom tried to saw off the top of her head to remove the demons.
    Yep...mighty peaceful...shhhhhh....
    Me: Julie-46 DH: Kelly-52 DD: Rhianna-17 DS: Gage-He's 3!

Quote Originally Posted by rhiannasmoms43 View Post

I just read the other day that in Nigeria that the church elders had 'outed' over 26,000 children in the last 10 years for being a witch The pic showed a 10 year old girl with a scar on her forehead where her mom tried to saw off the top of her head to remove the demons.
    They did a documentary on this on some British TV channel and OMG, it's horrendous what they do to children there! Yep, sure is peace, eh.

Quote Originally Posted by rhiannasmoms43 View Post

That is just horrible... I have no words...

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Those church signs aren't meant to make sense, they are written to be cutesy or clever using very few words. If you start picking apart those things, your head will just hurt.
    The sign outside my UU church growing up used to use big pieces of paper with typed lettering on them. You could fit a nice big quote by Thoreau or somebody like that on it.
    I Emerson!

Here's one for thought though...

In terms of evolution and success of our species, religion makes sense. Religion is binding and human beings are more successful in groups- we hunt more efficiently, we gather/grow crops more efficiently, we defend ourselves more efficiently...which all lead to greater success. So biologically speaking it makes complete sense that humans have come up with a means to bind ourselves together into communities where Religion is the glue. And Scientist/Theologians have also argued that Religious conflict has been a major source of population control when resources (food, water, shelter) wane. Dawkins talks a lot about this (and far more articulately).

Oh, and I forgot...Religion encourages 'working for the future' which also is advantageous to a species.
    Last edited by adlibby; 10-21-2009 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adlibby View Post
    Here's one for thought though...

In terms of evolution and success of our species, religion makes sense. Religion is binding and human beings are more successful in groups- we hunt more efficiently, we gather/grow crops more efficiently, we defend ourselves more efficiently...which all lead to greater success. So biologically speaking it makes complete sense that humans have come up with a means to bind ourselves together into communities where Religion is the glue. And Scientist/Theologians have also argued that Religious conflict has been a major source of population control when resources (food, water, shelter) wane. Dawkins talks a lot about this (and far more articulately).

Oh, and I forgot...Religion encourages 'working for the future' which also is advantageous to a species.
    I'll sleep better knowing that my "group" will be successful without all the hate that goes into religion.

Ashley - 25, Chris - 27, Elizabeth - 9-22-04, Alexis - 12-19-08

But now we have other things to 'bind' us together. Nations, states/provinces, cities. Sports teams fans. Fans of obscure bands, come to mind. Political affiliation. Membership on internet message boards! Government and law. Our jobs. Bowling teams. Play groups. etc, etc, etc.

We have all sorts of things that bind us together, except now we can belong to many groups instead of just one, so we have access and exposure to diversity we never did before. Which is great. We don't need these restrictive little groups that dictate our behavior so strictly. I'm sure that religious people would look at the list above and shake their heads sadly for me and say 'oh, poor lost soul doesn't get it', but I think they are dead wrong. I really do get it. And obviously they aren't getting their needs met by their religious group completely - or else they wouldn't be here. In other words, I think we have evolved past the need for religion (really, still just agreeing with Dawkins!)
    Norah! (3 yr)

Quote Originally Posted by maggie View Post
    (really, still just agreeing with Dawkins!)

Or to be more specific, past the need for organized religion as it existed for thousands of years. Not necessarily past the belief in God part. I don't think that that will ever end for humans (most humans, that is). I don't mean to imply that everyone needs to be (or should be) a full-on atheist like me. But organized religion as a social structure doesn't exist as it did (e.g. the Catholic church in Quebec until the 1960's- it was basically in charge of all aspects of peoples lives. They ran the government, pretty much. ugh.), and I'm so glad for that.

Now, the fundamentalist evangelical movement is trying to recreate that kind of all encompassing social structure....and it creeps me ooooooooout. And I guess it still exists with the Amish, Mennonites, Hudderites, etc. But now that is notable because of its rarity. And I don't mind that so much because they separate themselves and aren't trying to convert anybody.
    Norah! (3 yr)

I confess something really affected me at work today. I'm used to dealing with special needs kids, but this made me angry. If you don't mind, take a look and let me know what you think about it. http://www.americanpregnancy.org/for...post1056720844

Maggie, if I understand what you're saying correctly I think I agree with you. I do have my own faith, but I don't like the concept of religious structures as dictating people's lives for them, and I especially don't like the renewed intensity that seems to be springing up from different areas now that some of the old institutions like the Catholic church are becoming less restrictive.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Gee, this thread got all serious for a second there.

I confess I'm still not done my phd, even though I had hoped to be done (well, to submit my thesis) by the beginning of october (my birthday). Big, fat FAIL. Too much stuff going on. Too many papers on the go and too much work and being bugged by other students and my supervisor. And, well, too much screwing around by me too. Sigh. It will be another couple of months.

Now someone come in here and be lighthearted. More Charlie pictures!
    Norah! (3 yr)

Sorry about your thesis, Maggie. That sucks.

To lighten things up, I'll just mention that that picture of Norah has always reminded me of a picture of myself when I was about five. Kind of funny.

Quote Originally Posted by gwennero View Post
    I confess something really affected me at work today. I'm used to dealing with special needs kids, but this made me angry. If you don't mind, take a look and let me know what you think about it. http://www.americanpregnancy.org/for...post1056720844

Maggie, if I understand what you're saying correctly I think I agree with you. I do have my own faith, but I don't like the concept of religious structures as dictating people's lives for them, and I especially don't like the renewed intensity that seems to be springing up from different areas now that some of the old institutions like the Catholic church are becoming less restrictive.
    I replied to your thread. Sounds like a really crappy mother, and I would have been upset too.

And yes, I think thats what I mean. I'm sort of thinking and typing at the same time, which is always dangerous. Usually I re-read 'serious' posts a few times, but I feel comfortable enough in here to just post. If I screw it right up the poocher, you'll all set me straight without a fight.
    And actually, you said it much better than I did in the first place, so thank you!
    Norah! (3 yr)

And actually, you said it much better than I did in the first place, so thank you!
    Aww, thanks!

I confess I miss when Elmobo was like a year and a half old when she used to call popcorn "crapone" And when she used to call spongebob "bob bob". I confess she's a big kid now and it scares me. She's not a baby, not a toddler, she's a kid.
    I confess I wish she'd go back to being that age, then start over until now and just repeat.

Ashley - 25, Chris - 27, Elizabeth - 9-22-04, Alexis - 12-19-08

Norah used to say 'cafe' (french for coffee) as fah-kay, which is how you swear in Quebec. Eg. someone will say 'C'est tout ''fah-kay" ' (but not spelled like that, if you get my drift)l, which translates to 'Everything is f**ked'. It was amazing, since it wasn't a real swear but an accidental one.

She also says 'pantalon' (pants) as 'tapalon', and I really dig it. She also used to call all trees 'broccoli'. I wish she hadn't stopped, it was very adorable (though would have eventually gotten confusing).
    Norah! (3 yr)

I confess that I just had a phone conversation with my sister that went a little something like this:

Her: Do you guys believe in Santa Claus?
    Me: Uh, I believe parents are Santa Claus?
    Her: You guys are going to teach your kid about Santa Claus right?
    Me: Ohhhhh, I don't know. I guess I haven't thought that far ahead but I kind of don't want to lie.
    Her: Don't ruin Santa Claus for your kid! What about the Easter Bunny?
    Me: Again, I'm not sure. (While I'm totally thinking that I wouldn't mind since I celebrated this stuff growing up without it being about religion).
    Her: When your kid comes over I'm going to teach them about Jesus.
    Me: How about you raise your kid how you want and we raise ours how we want? We don't go over to your house and teach Susannah about witchcraft do we?
    Her: WAIT! Witchcraft or Paganism?
    Me: Well kind of the same I suppose, a lot of Pagans use Witchcraft.
    Her: But I thought you didn't worship the devil?
    Me: Um Joanna, Witchcraft and Paganism have nothing to do with the devil. Haven't we had this conversation before?
    Her: Well I'm just telling you what people think.
    Me: Yeah, those are very uneducated people.

SILENCE!
    Last edited by Janeen; 10-21-2009 at 07:03 PM.
    Janeen - 30, Jimi - 42; Married October 21st, 2006;

Norah used to say 'cafe' (french for coffee) as fah-kay, which is how you swear in Quebec. Eg. someone will say 'C'est tout ''fah-kay" ' (but not spelled like that, if you get my drift)l, which translates to 'Everything is f**ked'. It was amazing, since it wasn't a real swear but an accidental one.

She also says 'pantalon' (pants) as 'tapalon', and I really dig it. She also used to call all trees 'broccoli'. I wish she hadn't stopped, it was very adorable (though would have eventually gotten confusing).
    That's funny because most of the kids in my family call broccoli trees.

Josh still says some funny things, but I miss when he was first starting to speak. Now he just talks and talks and talks...LOL

I really want to move somewhere with more nature around it. Ugh Texas is becoming really dull for me but I figure the only thing holding me here is family...which is a strong hold...*le sigh*

She also used to call all trees 'broccoli'. I wish she hadn't stopped, it was very adorable (though would have eventually gotten confusing).
    lol! DD calls broccoli 'trees'!

Quote Originally Posted by Janeen View Post
    I confess that I just had a phone conversation with my sister that went a little something like this:

Her: Do you guys believe in Santa Claus?
    Me: Uh, I believe parents are Santa Claus?
    Her: You guys are going to teach your kid about Santa Claus right?
    Me: Ohhhhh, I don't know. I guess I haven't thought that far ahead but I kind of don't want to lie.
    Her: Don't ruin Santa Claus for your kid! What about the Easter Bunny?
    Me: Again, I'm not sure. (While I'm totally thinking that I wouldn't mind since I celebrated this stuff growing up without it being about religion).
    Her: When your kid comes over I'm going to teach them about Jesus.
    Me: How about you raise your kid how you want and we raise ours how we want? We don't go over to your house and teach Susannah about witchcraft do we?
    Her: WAIT! Witchcraft or Paganism?
    Me: Well kind of the same I suppose, a lot of Pagans use Witchcraft.
    Her: But I thought you didn't worship the devil?
    Me: Um Joanna, Witchcraft and Paganism have nothing to do with the devil. Haven't we had this conversation before?
    Her: Well I'm just telling you what people think.
    Me: Yeah, those are very uneducated people.

SILENCE!
    Your sis is a bit dingy huh?

I remember myself as a child thinking trees were just huge things of broccoli.

Quote Originally Posted by AlishaAnew View Post
    Your sis is a bit dingy huh?
    I wouldn't really consider her dingy but we do have this conversation way more often than I would like. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by AlishaAnew View Post
    I really want to move somewhere with more nature around it. Ugh Texas is becoming really dull for me but I figure the only thing holding me here is family...which is a strong hold...*le sigh*
    There's always Colorado.

I confess that family is the only reason I haven't fully committed to moving to Hawaii for a couple of years when it's time for DH to finish up school.

Man, it sounds so lovely but I know I wouldn't see them unless we came to the states.

I confess that Jimi is sewing the button back on my brand new jacket that I wore for the first time today.

Yeah, so what if our relationship roles are a bit backwards?

Oh AND, I confess...happy 12 weeks of pregnancy and dating/wedding anniversary to me!

Hmm I got a bit of an aggravation to push through. Bear with me ladies.

*Big breath*

Honestly why do people care what other people think? I mean really.
    I can understand seeking advice you would want others opinions and insights before making a decision yourself but other than that. You are who you are and whats the point of changing who you are to appease certain groups of people. It would only make you more miserable IMO, of repressing your true self. I "get" that humans have the social "want" of fitting in and being 'accepted' by others but in this big ole world you are pretty much guaranteed that there is someone else out there similar to you or who has the same interests/likes/personality as you do..So I understand the "socially acceptable" want but it just aggravates me when people feel the need to change themselves/others to "fit in"........

Oh my goodness I am rambling....ugh...did I make sense at all? I am running on E lately.
    Janeen you kind of reminded me of this with your posts