Page 1479 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 479 979 1379 1429 146914771478147914801481 ... LastLast
Results 44,341 to 44,370 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Oh, how frustrating, Kate. At least you found the gifts you wrapped already close enough to Christmas.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Rich did that with gifts for me last year. When he realized, he tried to trick me into finding them. It was funny. He was like, "Can you go move your shoes out of the wardrobe?" and I was like, "Do it yourself."

We had a great Christmas and Boxing Day. Rich had to go back to work today, so the boys and I are chilling today. I don't think we'll venture out because it'svery windy and rainy out.

I think I'll try to tidy up while they play. I doubt I'll get much done because they got a lot of toys that need assembling like Legos.

More evidence that I'm losing my mind. I took Josh to Providence today to see Disney on Ice. That went great, I found my way there and back, but I think I used all my brain cells to do that, because the rest of the day was a disaster. On the way home we stopped at the grocery store to get stuff for dinner and for our NYE snack. I got in line, put all my things on the belt, and couldn't find my credit card. I told the guy I think it's just in the car, but I think he misunderstood me because they were already carrying away all my perishables to put them back. These stores are so strict about leaving out perishables, which I guess is good, but not in my case when it would have taken two minutes to get my card. They should have a fridge in back or something, so food can be held for a while. It was indeed in the car, but I didn't feel like shopping all over again so we left. I got home and couldn't find my phone. Went back to the store and the service desk had it, thank goodness. UGH. I think I need a nap.

Josh got so many Lego and Megablocks things! He is better at them than I am though, so he just shows me his progress every couple steps and I make sure it matches the directions.

Kate, that kind of thing happens to me several times a week.

Yeah but, you have 3 kids and you homeschool and actually do stuff all day and all I have to do is keep track of my phone, credit card and one child. LOL.

Look at it this way. You haven't lost the child. Yet.

You know the package that Amazon lost? They apparently found it. Now, I'm not sure what to do. One of the toys, I can't do anything with, since it was for a specific kid, and I got him something else. I don't want a refund, AND the merchandise. That feels like stealing.

Could you donate it to charity, Suja? I have charity on my brain rightnow since
    one of my goals this week is to go through the kids' toys and get rid of the ones they don't use anymore. I told Travis about it, saying something like we were going to send some unfortunate kids some toys and he replied, "You mean for the kids in Africa?" I told him that there are kids everywhere that are less fortunate than us. I guess he's picked that up from singing that Band Aid song from the 80s, you know that one that goes "feed the world, let them know it's Christmas time."

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    You know the package that Amazon lost? They apparently found it. Now, I'm not sure what to do. One of the toys, I can't do anything with, since it was for a specific kid, and I got him something else. I don't want a refund, AND the merchandise. That feels like stealing.
    If it were me I would say if you think your child would like I'd keep it or donate it. I know you feel like its stealing but, at the same time they made the mistake not you.
    *** Lindsay ***

Can't you return the toy and get a refund?

Yes, I was thinking myself that out of the kid, credit card and phone, I lost the two less important things.

Our gift mishap this season was as follows. I ordered cute animal magnets for my mom, since she has a new metallic message board and needed some magnets. Somehow, I got two (I did NOT order two, but amazon says I did. Maybe a typo on my part...?), and decided that since they're cute, they'd be fine for a 4 year old's birthday gift in January, so wrapped it up and hid it in my closet. Then I got hubby birthday gift, wrapped it, and hid it in the closet. For his birthday, yesterday, I grabbed a gift from the closet. It was the wrong one!! Considering that the one I gave him was a $10 set of magnets, and the one he was SUPPOSED to get was a $300 electronic toy, not sure that would have gone over well. Though Maiya's friend would probably have loved it, haha.

Kate, if that is evidence of you losing your mind, then mine must be LONG gone! And I only have one, too.

Suja, I may be the only one, but I would keep the refund and the merchandise. Maybe I just have low morals... But my take is that the refund is more of an apology. If you don't want the merchandise, then yeah, donate it. I don't think it would be like stealing at all, even if you just sold it online.

WE HAVE OUR TICKETS!!! We are officially going to Japan, woo! We've started the passport process for Maiya, I just hope it gets here in time. We'll be there only two months, but that should be great. We will be very busy! I find it funny- we bought the tickets on hubby's birthday, will be there for Maiya's birthday, and fly home on my birthday, hah. My birthday in 2014 will be about 36 hours long, instead of 24!

But that means I have a LOT to do. Not the least of which is getting my English teaching stuff together. Which I have none of, so have to make it up as I go along. Anyone have good resources for teaching English as a second language? Google, here I come!!

Japan, how exciting!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has gift mishaps and loses their belongings. Ever since I was young I've lost things easily and my mom used to give me a hard time about it so I guess that's why I still beat myself up about it.

Janet, check out Teachers Pay Teachers and search for ESL. You could also try some of the speech therapy activities. Lots of the stuff is cheap or free, and you just need a printer and laminator. I've got tons of materials from there this year.

Janet that is so exciting!!!

I got word that the part for my engine finally shipped. So who knows maybe next week my van might be done. They had it since Dec 3rd now.

I have to admit that I don't typically lose things but tend to be organized by nature. And I carry a purse so all my stuff is pretty much always in there. But definitely not a sign that you are losing your mind unless it was sudden or out of character. And if I really don't want to forget things, I am a big list maker.

OMG, I need to whine about the weather. Bridget better join me! I don't hate the cold and long as it's at least above zero it's not bad. Sun-Tues we are not even getting close to above zero. Our HIGH is supposed to be -15 before wind chill and lows like -30....add wind chill and you get -40 to -50. Supposed to be the coldest since 1996. Oh man that is like someone slamming you in the chest when you try to breath that in...and frostbite can happen in less than 10 minutes. I just want to stay in bed under the covers with DH and the dogs for the next few days but sadly they aren't going to shut down work because of it. Schools maybe.
    I mean it's been such an unusally cold winter so far that the other day we were like, oh it's not that bad and realized it was still -6. Grrrrrr.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Jennifer, don't take this the wrong way, but I'm glad to hear it's cold somewhere! It's been in the 70's here and I was wondering if we have missed winter completely. Usually it's around 40-50 this time of year. I just saw on the news last night the record high this day was 83 in 1914 so we aren't even close to the record high, though. And it is still getting cold at night.

I try to keep a good attitude about winter but this is nearly unbearable!

Yeah I normally am ok with winter...don't like driving in snow but other than that it's not too bad. But this is unbearable. I saw that the Gov of Minnesota is shutting down all public schools in the entire state Monday. I'm really close to MN so tend to hear their news. I guess Walker is considering it for WI.

Mandy I think I might go into shock if it was that hot here. I mean at first 25 feels really cold but right now it would feel pretty warm. Last Saturday we were like 35 above and I was taking the dogs outside without a jacket on myself.

I don't even know if I will allow Cosmo out to potty Sun-Tuesday. She doesn't like to use her box but will if she really has to. Molly will go outside but isn't used to going out all the time like Cosmo and mostly still uses the box. And Molly is a heat loving dog.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Not being able to play outside is killing us. Even the cats are acting maniacal. Pawprint aka Poppy goes into the craft bin, pulls out a supermarket, brings it to one of us to bunch up and she will bat it and chase it all over the house. In the summer months, she does nothing but sleep at home.

I can imagine how hard this for you all! I don't suppose you have any indoor playgrounds by you? I don't think that there are any in my town or nearby....well maybe at McD's but we never go there. I know that they have them in the cities though but that is a ways away.
    I mean if it was normal winter weather, you could at least bundle up and get out there for a little while. Maybe you can for a bit tomorrow early on? I think it's supposed to be not awful early before it plummets.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

We haven't had that kind of cold, but it is cold for being in Virginia. This morning was around 0, with wind chill, while I was shoveling snow. It got into the 20s, though, which was nice. Tonight's low is about 5. As my friend from Fairbanks says (their temps are routinely below -40), "But it's unusual temperatures that cause problems (you've seen what happens here when temperatures get above freezing in the winter). So if you all aren't set up for it, that's a problem."

Josh doesn't really like to go outside in the winter unless there is snowman-making snow (which there is not, this time) so we're not missing much. He has so much to do indoors. We got about 8 inches of snow yesterday. He had school Thursday but today off.

We have some things we can do now that school is back in session! We don't go to the indoor stuff when it's crowded!

Speaking of weather we are in for the coldest winter and temps since 95-96. Sunday-Tuesday the windchill advisory is going to be -10 to -30. The lowest temp I personally remember being out in is about 10 degrees and that was awful which I wasn't out for long but, just doing errands and getting out for a few minutes is hard. Today it was 43 for a high so its going to be a dramatic drop. It felt good being out for errands today though so I am dreading -10 to -30 we are basically are going to be home bound until it passes. We stocked up on food, movies from the library, and the kids have a lot of toys and books from Christmas. We normally have 30- 40 degree temps during this time of the year and the last two winters have been warm 50-60 degrees so its a big change.
    *** Lindsay ***

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    We haven't had that kind of cold, but it is cold for being in Virginia. This morning was around 0, with wind chill, while I was shoveling snow. It got into the 20s, though, which was nice. Tonight's low is about 5. As my friend from Fairbanks says (their temps are routinely below -40), "But it's unusual temperatures that cause problems (you've seen what happens here when temperatures get above freezing in the winter). So if you all aren't set up for it, that's a problem."
    Yeah everyone is freaking out thinking the world is going to end because we are having the coldest weather in the last almost 20 years. I dislike winter and it sucks but, its crazy how much this city panics. Most of the time the city is unprepared.
    *** Lindsay ***

Thanks so much, Mandy!! I'll have to look in to that. I am doing SO BAD on getting stuff done. Since my husband has been off work, we've been having "game night" nearly every night, and since Maiya hasn't been in school, I haven't been getting anything constructive done during the day, either. I'm barely keeping up with the basic housework! I gotta get on that.

Wow, that weather is INSANE. I'm sorry, I can not even comprehend that temperature. I think the coldest weather I've ever been in was 17 (and I was on an old 1600s style BOAT. Crazy night!!), and the coldest temperature I've ever been in was I think a deep freezer? Maybe 5 degrees? Maybe, I don't really remember.

We're having "crazy" weather here, too. We had a FREEZING cold spell just before winter hit. And when I say freezing, I mean literally. I think it got down to 28! Then winter started, and the temps went soaring back up. It got above 70 today! And it's been GORGEOUS. Beautiful, clear, sunny... Good for the soul! The problem is, we have had almost no rain in MONTHS (I'm using way too many all caps, sorry...), and this nice, mild winter will make for a pretty miserable summer if something doesn't change fairly dramatically. I foresee a nasty drought headed our way!

Hope everyone is able to handle the unusual weather. Stay warm!

Janet, we've had the same weather pattern you are having. And we've been having a drought for years (I mean, even for us). I keep hoping it will break. This is so crazy!

We're basically in a permanent drought, too. Not sure if it's as bad as yours, and I know it isn't always bad (when it gets bad, we hear a lot about it, so I assume that when they stop "reminding" us of how to save water, that it's not as bad. I could be wrong!), but this summer is shaping up to be rough.

Ugh, help me ladies! I am SO cranky. Hubby and Maiya have been passing a cold back and forth for a few weeks, and I finally lost my battle. So I'm now sick, too. When he was sick, hubby got to stay in bed for SIX DAYS STRAIGHT. Man, wouldn't that be a dream??

But then to top it all off, Maiya didn't sleep well last night and she still isn't asleep tonight, an hour late. She's just laying in bed rolling all over, laughing and telling stories. Between me being cranky anyway, and having to deal with her sleep deprived all day today, I am getting MAD at her. I hate to be mad at her, especially for inability to sleep, since I'm also an insomniac, but I can't help it. I just turned the monitor off because I just want to go up there and tie her down to the bed!!! We gave her melatonin last night, it was the only thing that finally got her to sleep, but that means I can't give it to her tonight, since past precedence tells me that it becomes about half as effective every night I use it. Ugh. So I'm screwed. Tomorrow's gonna suck. Boo.

I don't know what screwed up her sleep. Last night I thought it was because she hadn't left the house all day (she must leave the house everyday!), but I can't imagine that's still messing up tonight. Is it left over from how badly we screwed up her sleep schedule over the holidays? Is it because she is finally over her cold and just has too much energy? Is it a growth spurt? And yes, I swear she just got done with a growth spurt a few weeks ago, but she's telling me her legs hurt again, so I don't really know.

And remember how I was saying I'm so far behind in getting all my stuff done? Now that I'm sick, I'm again not doing it! Oops. At least my wonderful hubby got home and told me to sit down and relax, while he does the dishes. <3

Ok, let's find something better to talk about than me whining, hah. Anything good going on in the world?

Aw, man! I feel ya! I just got Sawyer to sleep and its 11pm! So much I wanted to get done tonight. Fold laundry, organize my desk, cut fabric. My dad gave me mom's sewing machine for Christmas. The story goes that she convinced my grandpa to buy it for her when she was 17 from a door to door salesman. Grandpa said she had to promise to make her own clothes then and did she ever! Her wedding dress and bridesmaid dresses and all of our clothes growing up, and clothes for Savana...and now it's ours! The kids want to learn too so I have some simple projects for us. That's what is new and exciting here!
    Oh, and in case it wasn't clear, I'm not getting anything done tonight. I'm going to bed!

Finally asleep at 9!! Same time she was last night. What are the chances that her sleep schedule just switched from need to be asleep at 7 PM to needing to be asleep at 9PM? Especially with all that's been going on... I mean, I should try to set her back to asleep at 7, right? Or is "making" her lay awake in bed for 2 hours more detrimental? For the record, two nights ago, she was asleep at 7:15, like normal. Why don't kids come with a manual??

Ugh, Bridget, 11 PM! I don't blame you for not getting anything else done. What happened? Were you guys just busy, or is he having sleep issues, too?

That is so awesome to have received that! I wish I could sew, but, well, you saw the Peter costume I made, haha. That is so impressive that she made her wedding and bridesmaid dresses. Do you have a picture of those? I also want pics of what the kids make!

Sawyer' s sleep is all over the place. I think he is phasing out of napping but some days he needs it. On those days he is up really late, sleeps in, doesn't nap. He is seriously cutting into the quality time for dbf and me!