Page 1471 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 471971137114211461146914701471147214731481 ... LastLast
Results 44,101 to 44,130 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

If you look, it isn't all stretch, but it seems really expensive. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, either. I'm on a mission, now.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by Krystal5 View Post
    Please ignore the mess... But yeah, go ahead, coordinate this!
    LOL! Okay, so, anything goes is the theme.

It DOES seem expensive, doesn't it?? I'm new to this, but I was still kind of surprised.

And yay for a mission! I feel much better having a team mate.

Haha, yeah, pretty much anything goes! You can tell that at one point in time I TRIED to coordinate. Then Maiya got a mind of her own. Darn kid!

Preferably, I do want just a solid neutral color. I mean, anything goes, but I don't want it to clash TOO badly, heh.

I'm partial to elephants, myself, but this seems expensive. https://www.fabric.com/buy/0309078/m...d-29889bf8fb7b

Not exactly solid neutral color. That may actually be why you are having trouble finding a non-stretchy cotton - I don't know that that sells as much as prints.

I'd try a website for somewhere like Joanne's - might have some cheaper options at first. You don't need designer if you're looking for plain fabric to nail on a wall.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 11-15-2013 at 11:59 PM.

And please excuse all the smiley faces. I'm tired and excited, which tends to make me a bit on the giddy side...

That's adorable! Maiya has a thing for elephants lately. She has a "real pet elephant" named Mountain. Mountain is pretty awesome and has done all sorts of amazing things. We went to go see a friend yesterday, who gave out party favors, which included an animal mask. Maiya of course chose the elephant!

But, do keep in mind that I have to "wall cloth" the office side, too. So even if I put something as cute as that up, I still need a more grown up theme for the other side!

Ok, for the record, if I round up, I need about 3600 sq ft to do both sides, or 1200 sq yds.

This is gonna get expensive FAST. Maybe fabric isn't such a good idea, heh.

PS- you can tell I really have my projects planned out well in advance, can't you??

What ... multicolored elephants aren't grown up? I was making plans for decorating my office.

That seems like a LOT of fabric. Are you sure? Although I'm sure you're probably better at math than I am.

We have a store in town that sells fabric buy the pound. You can buy a ton, cheap. Anything online like that?

I'm sorry, Mandy, multi colored elephants are not grown up. But growing up is for ninnies, anyway! Who wants to grow up??

Nope, not sure! But remember, I'm trying to cover 2 sides of 2 walls. They're 111 in by 95 in. If I give myself a little extra for edging, it comes to about 42,000 sq in, if I can do math. But I mentioned I'm tired. Does that seem right???

We have quite a few cheapo fabric selling places here, I will try some of those. I seem to remember last time I got 2 yards for like $2. But even so... That's $1 per yard, and if I really need 1,200 yards, that's $1,200! I should think these things out better before hand, oops. Think anyone will care if I just leave it as bare dry wall???

I'm looking for something like that online, let me know if you have any better luck!

I don't think that can be right. What I'm thinking - fabric isn't like paint where you measure the length times width. Fabric will be sold in a set width - say 44"? (A number I randomly noticed while I was browsing) and when you buy one yard, it's a yard long and 44" wide. So you aren't measuring square yards, so to speak - you are measuring top to bottom - maybe 3 yards per side, 4 at most, and then however many widths it takes to cover the length of the wall. Do you follow that at all? I don't think it can possibly end up numbering in the thousands.

Let me add I can't sew at all, but my mother made a lot of clothes for me while I was growing up. So we had discussions like this all the time because my mother is even more math challenged than I am.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 11-16-2013 at 12:18 AM.

Phew. Well, that makes me feel a little better.

So, how do I figure out if I can afford this?? I guess I have to pick a fabric first, so I know how wide it is? And then work from there?

I swear, building the walls was easier than trying to make them pretty!

At least I'm not bored!

That's the only way to be certain, I think, because I'm sure they do vary. But I think there are standard widths for the most part and the elephant fabric was 44" - so I would have that as a ball park figure. So how many 44" sections do you need to cover each side?

Ok, here we go...

(By the way, in case I haven't told you, thanks so much for helping me!!!)

If we put the fabric vertically, then the total length (width?) of all 4 sides of the walls is 417 inches. The height is 95 in, or 2 2/3 yards.

So... If the fabric is sold in 44" sections, we need 9 1/2 pieces wide, right? And each of those pieces needs to be 2 2/3 yards high?

So let's pretend the elephant fabric is $10 / yd, just to make this easier. I would need 9 1/2 of them at (2 2/3 yd * $10 / yd) $266? For a total of $2,527?

Well, the good news is, if I can find one for $1 / yd, that's only $252.70!
    Last edited by Krystal5; 11-16-2013 at 12:44 AM.

Well, if you can find cheapo dollar-per-yard stuff it's doable. But no elephants.

I also think you have to purchase it in 1/4 yard multiples. So instead of 2 2/3 yards, calculate 2 3/4 yards.

Well, you never know what my local cheapo fabric store might offer! So don't rule elephants out yet. ;)

Hmm, quarter yard multiples... That's it, I'm gonna have to really work this out to an exact number, not just round it all!

Let me know if you find anything cute for closer to $2 / yd or less. We might be able to make it work!

Or ... wait ... multiply 2 2/3 by the number of sections - that would be ten (9.5 with some left-overs for scrap material) and round to the nearest quarter yard. So that comes out to ... um ... let me grab my calculator. Have I mentioned I was excellent at geometry and terrible at arithmetic/algebra?

I'm getting 26 3/4 yards. You'd get either one huge piece and have to chop it up into sections the height of your wall, or that's larger than the whole bolt of cloth and you'd have to figure if you'd be left with one section not quite long enough and need more fabric. This is beyond my fabric expertise, I'm afraid.

You'd also need to account for any seams/edges. Do you plan to fold the fabric over on the ends where you nail/staple it down to the wall? It would make for a much cleaner edge, but you'd need to allow another half-inch or maybe inch per section.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 11-16-2013 at 12:59 AM.

Ok, well, 26 3/4 yards a $10 / yard is about $2675, so pretty close. I think we're on the right track!

Have I mentioned I am too tired to think?? I hope someone is getting / will get a good laugh from all this!

But thank you SO MUCH for your help. Even if this is beyond your expertise, you've helped me a TON.

No problem. As I said, I have a mother who liked to sew/quilt and was math challenged, and a father who was a physics professor. These are the types of conversations that went on in my home growing up ALL THE TIME. Although I imagine the rest of the forum is cracking up at us.

In my household the conversations are not like this at all. Pretty much ever. They tend to involve computers for the most part. I guess the world is a different place!

Make sure you saw my edit above about seam allowances. That would make a difference.

Ah, blast from the past! Nostalgia is always fun, isn't it?

And yeah, our conversations now tend to center around computers and technology in general, too. Different world indeed!

I had not seen the edit, thanks! Yeah, before I buy anything, I will calculate down to the inch, and will definitely keep that in mind. Thank you so much!!

And, by the way, have I said thank you??

No problem. Off to bed, now, though. To dream of elephant-related decor.

Quote Originally Posted by Krystal5 View Post
    Ok, well, 26 3/4 yards a $10 / yard is about $2675, so pretty close. I think we're on the right track!

Have I mentioned I am too tired to think?? I hope someone is getting / will get a good laugh from all this!

But thank you SO MUCH for your help. Even if this is beyond your expertise, you've helped me a TON.
    Duuuuuuuuuude, since when does 26 3/4 x $10 = $2675???

I'm glad I put the disclaimer that I'm too tired to think. And REALLY glad that I'm only getting ideas now, and not trying to make any final decisions!!

For the record, I like $267.50 way better than $2675, hah.

Good night! Have sweet colorful elephant dreams!

Hahahahahaha! And I didn't catch it, either! I told you I suck at basic arithmetic!

Dude I'd paint or wallpaper. Both are pretty easy and way cheaper than fabric. Paint has a lot of fun effects to do. Like a lighter coat followed by a darker shade applied using a crinkled plastic bag or sponge.

My my mom needs a yard to make a pillowcase. Material tends to run around ten bucks a yard but sales or a coupon brings it to down. Could just buy a fabric shower curtain or a few of them......or some king size flat sheets and use those?

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Upholstery fabric is bigger and firmer, also. You can get it on sale.

There is some interesting math here! 3600 sq.ft. = 400 sq. yards, BTW (3600/9). It is an interesting idea, using fabric, and shouldn't be too expensive. I think that patterns might be tricky in terms of being able to match the patterns up, and I second the recommendation for upholstery fabric. I hope you will post pictures when you're done.

You guys talked FABRIC and I slept through it??
    NO!

Different fabrics are different widths, too, so keep that in mind when choosing. Upholstery (or "decorator") fabric is often between 50-60 inches wide, so you'd get more fabric for your per-yard price than you would of a typical 44-inch cotton solid or print. It can be more expensive, though, and is also heavy. I'd probably go with a woven cotton (like a bedsheet type material) for hanging - similar to what I used to cover the panels on Noe's new bed. You can get a cotton/poly blend, often called broadcloth, for a good price and it comes in pretty much any solid color. 100% cotton is a couple of dollars more but also comes in any color. But if I were doing a solid color, painting would just be so much easier than hanging fabric! I personally would only go to the trouble of fabric if I wanted to choose a print. It wouldn't have to be something floral or cutesy - there are walls and walls of quilting cottons in everything from dots and stripes and geometrics to batiks and subtle mottling.

By the way, if you ever wanted to actually feel some fabrics and figure out what's what without having to go to the fabric store, come on by! I doubt there's a fabric type that I don't have at least a snippet of.

Thinking about using nails, it might be a little tricky to get it stretched tight enough to not sag or ripple a bit in the center. You could spray some adhesive - maybe the repositionable kind that isn't permanent - on the wall too to help the fabric stay put and put a little less weight on the nails (less chance of pulling or fraying).
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

I don't know, Jennifer, neither sound easy to me. And I'm terrified of getting paint on the existing walls and needing to repaint when we sell in a few years. Plus needing to mud, and sand, and tape, and prime... That is SO much work for a wall that will hopefully be up for only a few years. At least with fabric, I don't have to do all the prep. Even if hanging it is easy harder than I think! I definitely appreciate your input. It's good for me to consider all options!

And my calculations last night were WAY off (did I mention I was tired??), so it won't be nearly as expensive as I first thought. Seems like I could get by with just about the same cost as paint. Haven't priced out wallpaper.

L, great idea! I'll look in to that too. Thanks!

Suja! Oh man, I can't believe I did that. Mandy said something was off, and I thought there was no way that could be right, but I just couldn't figure it out. I'm really not as stupid as I made myself seem! Ah well, you've heard my excuse by now.

Gretchen, next time we talk fabric, I'll call and wake you up! Thanks for all the details, I was so confused. How would you hang fabric? Because I'm just imaging using nails, and it seems simple to me... But everything seems simple, and few things ever actually are!

The adhesive sounds like a great idea! I've been using Velcro on Maiya's curtains, I was even thinking of something like that. Just a strip of super sticky double sided tape across the top... Hmm...

And I would love to go see Gretchen's fabric shop! I definitely need something physical, looking online and reading descriptions is pretty much useless. Maiya would also love to play with Noe again!