Page 1470 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 470970137014201460146814691470147114721480 ... LastLast
Results 44,071 to 44,100 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Oh, and yeah, I put up with ZERO begging. But I'm also a pretty strict pet-Momma. I do let Quincy (the dog) lay under the table while we eat, though! As long as he's not begging. He usually sleeps!

I would probably hang a tapestry. Now THAT'S lazy!

Well I wouldn't have any idea how to put up a wall. We would probably have to hire someone. LOL It's drama just trying to fill a nail hole! My DH is just super picky about how stuff looks in the house. I might have gone green in the room but the office next to it is green and he said no. I thought about going dark furniture but he said no because the office is black furniture and he didn't want two rooms next to each other the same. He wanted natural furniture...I had to fight for it to get the white furniture but he likes it now! Decorating is pretty easy when you buy pretty much everything that matches. I don't have it out yet since we still need a dresser but one of my favorites is the lamp...the base is snoopys doghouse.
    I think I have been planning out the room in my head for like three years. I know my mom thinks I should have waited...my MIL said she admires my faith and optimism. I just know right now it's not hard to see the room and it makes me feel better with the wait.

And Bridget....I might be hanging the quilts on the wall! I need some more art and it's not like baby can use the quilt...and I have two snooppy ones. One that matches the set and the other doesn't but the colors are the same as the walls anyway.

Ugg to begging dogs. I have a problem in that I have two. Cosmo was always a silent begger so no problem. Poogle is whiny even though it doesn't get her anything. Or gets on her hind legs and puts her paws on my rear when I'm prepping Cosmo's meds. OMG. Thing is Cosmo has meds and the only way to get her to take them is a bit of people food. I only started letting Poogle have some because we were working on learning to take gently....I know little kids and babies think it's fun to feed the doggie and didn't want her to snap at little fingers. Worked because she is way gentle now. She is mostly a super cute and sweet girl....but she is bratty in the kitchen. That and she is bratty out the front window. Its great to be a watch dog but people six houses down should be able to get their mail or open the garage door! Good news is someone would probably move to a different house if they wanted to break in...long as they didn't see the little scruffball because her bark sounds like a german shepard or something. Totally doesn't match her looks. No beagle bay coming out of her. LOL

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Bo stands by the table and whines while we're eating. We didn't think he would do that, because we thought that if we didn't regularly feed him people food, he wouldn't know to beg for it. We let him eat stuff that occasionally falls and that's about it.
    Our cat actually wants our food too. We're not sure why but she has become really aggressive. She'll have a full bowl of her own food and still jump up on the table while we're eating and try to get to our stuff.

Bridget, I have SERIOUSLY considered it! Her quilt that came with the bedding set is on the wall now, but that's not nearly big enough to be enough.

We thought about hiring someone, but then the bottom line is that none of us really care that much, and not many people will see it, and we'll just tear it down later anyway, so... Yeah. Cheap and lazy! But we really have two rooms now! Still need to put a few more sheets of dry wall up, and then of course make it look a bit better, whatever way I decide to do that. But it's so exciting to have two useable, separate rooms! I'm pretty happy with them.

I've been thinking about getting Maiya a really cute lamp for her room, seems useful and can be really fun for her. Yours sounds adorable!

Well, with your husband caring so much, it may take longer, but at least you know it will be well done and look amazing!

See, our dogs our opposite. Your little dog barks and could scare someone off. My big huge dog is SILENT. Ok, he's not really huge, either, but could be scary to look at. Yet he almost never barks! If someone were breaking in, he would probably growl, maybe bark. Some guard dog!

Aw, Bo... If only the food didn't smell SO AMAZING he might not know to beg for it. But those noses work! Our cat is the WORST beggar in the history of my pets. She's not all that bad, really, but relatively she is. I'm strict with her, too, but she just refuses to learn. Or at least, refuses to adapt her behavior. 6 years later, and she still cries for a bite of eggs when we have them! She knows better than to take anything, though. I'm sorry your cat is getting aggressive, that can be so hard to deal with.

We have "big" news today! I put this on FB already, so sorry if you've read it before, but I gotta share again. Maiya's been working hard on improving her speech, as you all know. I mentioned that she has always said "Tinsey" for Quincy, and wouldn't even work on it. Well, a few days ago, she started working on it. Today, someone understood her!!! WOOO!!!!

I "liked" that comment on Facebook, but just want to say "Way to go, Maiya" in here, too!

G and I at work were always telling parents how much kids develop at three years old. They are finally old enough to have the ability to reflect on how they sound and you see them starting to take responsibility for how they sound. It's pretty amazing to watch how quickly it happens once the lightbulb turns on. Huge, huge difference in speech between turning three and turning four.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Go Maiya! Quincy looks pretty big...in the 50 lbs range? Cosmo is just over 30lbs and Poogle is over 25 but I am pretty sure less than 30 still. And you are lucky with the no barking! Is that common with the breed? I want a less vocal dog next time. Both mine are vocal....Cosmo just likes to hear her own voice is a little more yappy. Poogle mostly is vocal outside or if she sees something outside. Or when she is yawning. Seriously MIL was like what was that....she was in the kitchen on the right side of the house and I was in my room with Poogle on the opposite end of the house and we were like, oh that is just her yawning. I don't mind that, it's really pretty cute.

Yeah I tend to like our end results BUT some of our biggest fights the past few years have been over freaking decorating. I will once in a while switch knick knack places in the living room on the entertainment center and he always puts them back how he wants them. We have to shop for all house related things together and it often takes forever to decide on something or find something. His mom is just like, I'm glad you are married to him and not me. LOL
    that will definitely be great to get that extra room! Now that I have gotten used to a 3 bedroom house, it would be hard to get back into two bedrooms and we only have two people! DH LOVES his office.

Kate, yeah Bo is a beagle and they are known to be super food motivated and have excellent noses. I would be shocked if he wasn't a beggar! Plus I think I seem to recall learning that dogs respond best if only given a treat some of the time. Only takes mine a few times to learn something they like! I have trouble with Poogle in the kitchen, I step on her way more than like. She is just always at my feet, under my feet, on top of my feet squished between me and the cabinets.....on the hopes and chance I drop something. It's annoying....but I also don't have to clean up if i do drop something. The organic vacuum cleaner gets it all cleaned up for me! LOL

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Thanks for the like and the WTG! I'm proud of her.

And yes, it's obviously a huge light. I'm not sure where she's getting her motivation. If it is just having an SLP (she's said many times that she would be proud of her), or if it's because we've been working on it, or if it's because she's at school now and her new friends are having a hard time understanding her, but somehow she now has both the motivation to try, and the understanding of how to try. Whether it would have happened with or without my effort, I don't know, but there is definitely progress and I am happy! At least that's one less thing to worry about, phew.

I am certain all of those things play a role. The peer effect is enormous - preschool does so much good with little ones who aren't communicating the same as their peers. They see that other kids can do it, too, and boom! They start to try.

I'm no Aussie expert, but most I've known have been very vocal. He is a mutt, so he must have gotten his quiet genes from his other parent!

Yawn squeaks are SO CUTE. Evie does that, I love it. Quincy will sometimes make a bit of noise when yawning, but only sometimes. Though he does groan if you scratch his ears just right!

Hubby and I get in fights over decorating, but the exact opposite from you guys. I feel bad doing it all without his input, but his response is "whatever you want". And I'm like "NO, it's what WE want. Just tell me what you want!!!" Hah. Grass is always greener on the other side?

Yeah, we're looking for another house, and it will be at LEAST 3 bedrooms. Maybe 4. The "new room" we just added will be hubby's office, the guest room, and the foster room all in one! We need a 7 bedroom house, hah.

Maiya LOVES our organic vacuum cleaner! We have a rule, though. No "vacuuming" allowed until we say so (and if it's at dinner time, we must ALL be done eating). In the kitchen, there is a "line" that they are not allowed to cross. Pretty much ever, but especially if I'm working! When I was a kid, it was a literal line (between the carpet and linoleum), but now it's the cabinets. I can't work with anyone under my feet!
    Last edited by Krystal5; 11-13-2013 at 10:32 PM.

Sorry, I'm totally distracted tonight!

Yes, Quincy is about 55 lbs. I call him a medium sized dog!

And yeah, this girl is quite susceptible to peer pressure! I see it with a lot of things, including speech and reading. L once told me, and I told Maiya, that C said she was really glad that Maiya was practicing saying her name well. That made her light up! Same with reading. She is AMAZED that other kids can do it (L kids again come to mind!), and has been really putting more thought in to that lately, as well.

I'm worried for her teen years, hah!

Oh, yes, all the OTHER things her peers will be doing in high school! But just remember, there are also some awesome teens out there. Volunteering for great causes, learning to make robots (like my niece), writing the great american novel ... she can pick all that stuff up from peers, too!

And boy, are my fingers crossed for that outcome!!

Ok guys, I'm hungry and exhausted. Normally I have a ton of ready to eat food, but I've been spending every second on this wall and have failed myself. With no easy food in the house, I just want snacks. I haven't hardly had dinner (Maiya had leftovers from lunch that she didn't eat, normally we eat the same thing, so I didn't get much tonight!), so am trying to be responsible here. I want something really good, just anything really flavorful, but don't have the energy to make it!

Pizza delivery???

Well, the bonus to pizza delivery is that they will bring it to your door. No dragging Maiya out in the middle of the night to get it. So I vote for that.

I ended up making some real food! Hopefully enough to help with some of tomorrow's meals, too.

Just realized that I've been so caught up on this that some library books were over due!! Gah. I've never been late before. And we had a ton of books, too. That's so frustrating. <sob sob> This has been a fun project, but I gotta get focused on real life again!

Confession....um I have late library books all the time. I consider the late fees donations to the library. I'm a bad librarian. LOL

I had pizza last night. I have been doing water zumba Mon and Wed and it's just too hard to make dinner those nights and have been making things the night before that give good leftovers.

I have a dentist appt this afternoon and forgot to bring a toothrush and paste to work. Do you guys normally brush right before a cleaning? Going home before isn't really an option as DH will be sleeping and the dogs would wake him up. Plus I would have to leave work even sooner.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I have late books all the time too and it's sad because we only live a couple blocks from the library. It took me a while to realize that the library near us would take back the books that we checked out from the library on the other end of town.

Both Bo and the cat are constantly under my feet in the kitchen. It's really annoying! I tend to move pretty fast in the kitchen and I hate having anyone else in there with me because it always seems like they're in the way. DH still hasn't learned not to come in the kitchen unless I ask him to. I'm so mean...

I think if you ask, they will give you a toothbrush and paste at the dentist and you can use it and then just take it home (since they always give you a brush and paste anyway, right?)

Sometimes I just have a piece of gum before I go. It works in a pinch.

I have no recollection of brushing my teeth this morning. I may have done it out of habit, but I don't know. So, I asked DH to drop my toothbrush off for me. I figured, I'll go brush after I'm done with breakfast.

The dogs were pretty well behaved, WRT food. They knew who to beg from, at least. And they were not allowed to be underfoot when I was cooking. The cat is a different story. That's the frustrating thing about cats, the trainability. And as much as I adore him, Finn will be my last cat. If my bleeding heart doesn't get in the way.

I love cats, but they are a whole different animal (obviously) than dogs. They do learn over time, but they are free spirits.

Speaking of, Vampire Kitty is really becoming playful and affectionate. We still have a gate in the hallway between the living area of the house and the bedrooms. She won't go over that gate but she will explore all the way down the hallway to DH's office and has even sat in the bathroom (10 feet or so away from the gate) and had a staring contest with Puppicus. She LOVES Gwennie and will rush up to rub her fur against her. Gwennie is like, "what the heck? I don't mind you, but you aren't my cat!"

I always brush and floss my teeth before going to the dentist, usually because I eat junk food that gets stuck in my teeth and don't want to leave the evidence for them to find. LOL.

I love a good take-away pizza. We are getting fish n chips from the chippy tonight. No cooking for me. My house needs a good tidy up, but I don't have the energy to start doing anything. I'll probably load the washing machine and call that my accomplishment for the day.

I just spent the whole day with my fellow student-teachers in a school doing PE lessons with various year groups. It was a lot of fun. We were observed by the college's PE coordinators, and they were pleased with our work. I am so tired. Monday, we spent the whole day in a nature reserve type place learning about getting students outdoors more. That was a 2 hour drive there and a 2 hour drive back. I am just absolutely exhausted. It didn't help that I dreamed last night that one of my cousin's came to my house and was trying to cut my face up with a knife. I did that whole thrashing around thing that I do when I have nightmares and gasping for breath. I asked Rich why he didn't shake me til I woke up and he said he thought I was fine. What a numpty.

I love cats, but I think this one is our last, too. This is the first time DH and I have only had one cat, actually. We used to have 6, although we only had three of them briefly. DH rescued two kittens from the middle of the road one night and there was also a big stray tomcat that we took in for a while. A friend of ours ended up adopting them.
    The two that passed away over the last couple years were DH and my first cats when we moved into our first place together. We got the one we have left a little later, when we lived in Tennessee.

I am DDDDDDDDDDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN NNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...with the construction, at least. Now to try to make it a bit more presentable.

At least I've finally decided how I'm going to cop out. I think I'm just going to put fabric up with nails. It'll be like wallpaper, floor to ceiling and edge to edge and flat, but just with nails. No mudding, no priming, no adhesives, no paints... Yup! It'll look tacky, but hopefully not TOO tacky. And no funny smells or anything. Woo!

I have to finish some light and sound proofing, but even as is, I'm pretty impressed. The rooms are both small, but they work, and I am so happy about that!!

I always try to brush my teeth before I go, but if I can't, I brush when I get there, before getting in to see them. They usually have stuff you can use.

I'm afraid Evie may be our last (and first, actually) cat, too. As happens in most families, I am responsible for most of her care, and the one thing I wasn't responsible for (litter box) is always a huge fight to get done. I am a huge animal lover, but enough is enough! Quincy may be our last dog, too.

Mandy, happy to hear Vampire Kitty is doing so well! Love watching them blossom.

Mmm... I've had a proper dinner tonight, but now you all have made me want pizza. Mmm...

You know, Janet, when we moved to the new building at work last year several of us put up fabric to cover the bulletin boards in our classrooms, as an alternative to actually decorating them. I like the effect of the fabric on the walls. I'm thinking if you put some sort of edging around it on your wall - either cheap wood (maybe painted) or even a paper border like you can get in a teacher supply store, it might look cute and perfect for a child's room. Then you could tack some decorations on the fabric and use it like a cork board? Love the idea. Sorry, you got me going for a second. Decorating isn't something I excel at but every so often I get excited about it.

Don't apologize, keep the ideas rolling! I love them! And am super glad to know that it won't necessarily be tacky.

I am now googling fabric ideas / styles / types. So if you have any ideas for that, those are welcome, too!

Ok, fabric is a whole new, foreign world to me...

Charmeus? Jersey Knit? Minky? Cotton? I mean, ok, I know what cotton is, but does that mean this cotton fabric has the feel and qualities of a t-shirt? Hmm...
    Last edited by Gwenn; 11-15-2013 at 11:38 PM.

I would just find a cheap print that went reasonably well with whatever color scheme you have going for Maiya's room. I can imagine right now, if this were my house and I were having this discussion with my mother, she would offer to make a quilt for the bed that matched the fabric for the wall. You don't have a quilter in your family by any chance, do you?

I am so sorry. I edited your comment instead of hitting reply! How embarrassing. I've always been afraid of doing that. Let me go back and fix...

Quote Originally Posted by Krystal5 View Post
    Ok, fabric is a whole new, foreign world to me...

Charmeus? Jersey Knit? Minky? Cotton? I mean, ok, I know what cotton is, but does that mean this cotton fabric has the feel and qualities of a t-shirt? Hmm...
    From what little I know, jersey is similar to t-shirt fabric. Plain cotton is more like your standard bedsheet. I think charmeuse is a textured sort of fabric, but it might be a fake silky sort of thing ... not sure on that one. I would look for something that said cotton / cotton print / calico but stay away from anything stretchy or silky.

(That was what I posted on your hijacked post - LOL!)

Well, I guess my post is a good one to do that on! No worries from me.

I did have quilters, both my grandmas... But they're both dead. So... I'm on my own! But, with that said, I'm not about to try to make these match. The existing walls are half pink / half purple. Her bed sheets are dark blue and green dinosaurs. The guest bed has a VERY colorful quilt that my Grandma made. Yeah... Not trying to coordinate!

Maiya thinks she's getting silver walls, so I figure, that's a decent neutral color. At the moment, I'm looking for light grey or silver fabrics. But they seem to ALL say stretch! Maybe this won't be as easy as I thought, hah. Is anything ever?

This is the type of thing I'm looking at now. All stretch!

Please ignore the mess... But yeah, go ahead, coordinate this!