Page 1469 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 469969136914191459146714681469147014711479 ... LastLast
Results 44,041 to 44,070 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Yup in my head I'm 27. Except that was a number of years ago! LOL I run into it all the time....feeling the 90's weren't very long ago (that was my high school years) and then I do the math. Or even at work where we need info that is very current and I see something and am like oh 2003 wasn't too long ago. Oh wait 10 years....when usually my patrons wants only 5 years in the past.
    So mostly I feel younger than I am.....except when we do the math in regards to having a kid. We were supposed to have a baby 7 years ago and didn't really want or plan to be older parents.
    Now when I was youger....I felt older. Maybe because my friends were all almost a year younger or maybe because I just never was a go out and party kind of young person and just got serious and steady with my DH fairly young.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I don't know, I've been boring my whole life. When I was 20, I felt like a 40 year old! At least my attitude and life style. I mean, I had a job and my idea of a fun night out was a search and rescue mission. My 21st birthday I had finals all day, and SAR training all night. Wild life I live!

Mandy, that is pretty awesome!

Jennifer, it might not have been a scam. I've had similar happen to me and it was legit. So wrong of them to call you at work, though! I don't even answer those calls.

Bought all my stuff for the wall today! Man, I'm worn out already. This will be FUN.

I'm trying to think of something fun to do to the walls. I'll need to paint the office side, probably a boring neutral brown or beige (too lazy to repaint the existing walls). But for Maiya's side, I'm trying to think of something creative. Chalk board paint? Lego wall? Plain white and let her decorate it? I definitely don't want anything that takes an artistic touch, because I don't have one!! Even placing decals might turn out poorly if I do it...

Though I admit, I am very, VERY likely to just paint it the same boring color as the office side!

Oh, this might be the easiest solution.

Maybe let Maiya pick a color for one wall?

Part of my job is interlibrary loan so I get calls from around the country.....usually they call if something is needed ASAP instead of email. So I can't just say oh I don't know that number or area code and not answer.

Time to go clean...my mil is on her way up to visit.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Lydia thanks for posting the 43 things that will make you feel old its fascinating. I can't believe some teens thought Titanic was not a true story. Yes, some of the characters are fabricated. For some reason I thought it was in one of my U.S. History books. I remember seeing the movie when I was 8-9 years old and for a strange consequence my dad actually went on a cruise for a company trip a few weeks after we saw Titanic. I remember telling him to wear his life jacket all the time. When I didn't understand regulations then. I also knew people that had those hit clips.
    *** Lindsay ***

I'm surprised there are no NKOTB references on that list.

I swear, I posted something. It's gone, now.

Anyway, been researching Paleo/low carb diets, because DH's A1Cs came back awful, as did the triglycerides. Just shoot me now, because this means more cooking.

Oh, just throw a raw steak on a plate and tell him the cavewoman didn't have time to make a fire today.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Oh, just throw a raw steak on a plate and tell him the cavewoman didn't have time to make a fire today.
    Unfortunately, he is allergic to beef! The problem isn't so much making something with meat, it is making something that doesn't need to be eaten with starch. Most stuff I make, needs to be eaten with rice. So, now I'm researching paleo recipes and such. And doing prepwork/cooking the night before, for the following day's lunch/dinner. Today, I even made him breakfast (woke up at 7:30, made breakfast, made lunch, got the kid dressed, and took a shower, by 8:30). I'm getting stressed, because this is leaving me very little down time.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Bwahahaha!

DH eats Paleo (most of the time) and when he wants to stick to his diet and we are eating out, he seeks out Mexican or Asian food and will just leave the rice (or tortilla) off. The woman at our favorite vietnamese place thinks he's insane for not wanting rice, but he'll end up with a plate of meat and vegetables that looks pretty paleo. I don't know your cooking style exactly - if it is super spicy, it might need the rice to cut the impact of the spice - but I would think it would be fairly similar.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

See, the problem is that I cook Indian (South Indian at that ), and mostly vegetarian. There is just no way to eat just Dal, for instance, with nothing else. I'm looking at the recipes on Skinnytaste, and using what I can. I need to look at other Paleo sites as well. Breakfast is especially hard; there are eggs, and ummm, eggs.

DH recommends Mark's Daily Apple. It focuses more on Primal than Paleo - but there are only subtle differences between the two.

Here are the breakfast recipes from their site (which, admittedly, don't look simple). http://www.marksdailyapple.com/prima...#axzz2k0S6WVOz

Breakfast: so he doesn't eat cow? What about pork stuff...ham, bacon, sausage (even chicken sausage)
    Someone I have on facebook is doing the paleo diet and she is nuts about cauliflower "rice". She has it practically every day. I don't know exactly how she makes it but I imagine you can just boil it and then grind it up in the food processor.

Well, he'll eat pork, but I will neither buy, nor cook it. I do have chicken sausage. I have a recipe for cauliflower " rice". I'll try it out next week.

Worth a shot.

DH does a lot of sweet potato when he wants a starch.

I just baked sweet potatoes tonight. My husband loves them-we planted a lot in our garden this year and we have two pasta pots full of them. I thought I never liked them baked, but I had one tonight and it was good. I also put them in beef stew and that turns out good, too.

They are good. I prefer baked potato, but baked sweet potato is tasty if you don't think of it as a substitute but as something different.

Something else DH will do is make a bolognese / spaghetti sauce and serve it on top of vegetables, like squash or zucchini. Would dal work on a bed of veggies, like that? (Really, I'm ignorant. I don't know the variations from region to region in Indian cooking, although I'd love to stop by for a visit and try your cooking! )
    Last edited by Gwenn; 11-07-2013 at 10:07 PM.

I also hear that spaghetti squash is a lot like noodles, but I haven't tried it yet.

I found something awesome, that would make a noodle substitute. It is made out of kelp, and practically zero calories (like a huge portion is 6 cals). They are crunchy, but very taste neutral. I had made Tom Kha Gai, which DH didn't finish. I tossed in the "noodles", some more veggies, and chicken I had been marinating in lemongrass, and that's his lunch today. Tomorrow, I plan to grill the lemongrass chicken, and serve it with the "noodles", sprouts, finely shredded carrots, etc. Still need to find something saucy to tie it together, but I'll figure something out. Oh, and I can make Pho!
    Last edited by Suja; 11-08-2013 at 09:04 AM.

Never tried them but google shirataki tofu noodles....hungry girl is a big pan of them. I just don't have a store that carries them.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

My friend was just telling about them. She couldn't remember the name, but said they're grey. I remember trying something along those lines (but not shirataki) before, and it was gross; there was a weird sort of smell to it.

My BIL hosted a graduation party for my niece at his club (Japanese cuisine) and my sister carefully selected the menu to fit her family's various diet restrictions (gluten free, among others). They served those grey noodles, although I don't know what she called them. I'll just say they were an acquired texture. Taste was okay, basically neutral and tasted of a vinegary sauce.

Suja- I run out of ideas a lot with cooking and I am not the best cook but, I've found tons of great ideas on Pinterest when I need inspiration. Do you use Pinterest?
    *** Lindsay ***

Mmm... Food. I've decided I love food. And you all are making me hungry! Suja, I'd say experiment. You'll figure out what you all like, and what's faster and easier for you. If anyone can tackle this challenge and master it, it's you!!

Our remodel is going well! I'm so excited to get this done. But now I'm torn. This is just a temporary wall, so I don't really care too much how it looks. I've got some great "decorating" ideas, but I don't want to do all the work to make it look nice, hah. You know you're supposed to use the "mud", and tape, and sand, and primer, and multiple coats of paint... Ugh. So much work, and I don't really care for the little details like that. It's a temporary wall! Not many people will see it!! I'm tempted to skip the mud, tape, and sanding, and just prime and paint. It'll look tacky and you'll be able to plainly and clearly see all the screws and seams... But does that matter?? Tell me it doesn't matter, hah.

I'm really happy with the way the rooms have turned out. Both are small, but they work. The office / guest room is bigger than any office I've worked in! It won't be very impressive to any guest that stays there (and we have at least two planned already!), but it's better than nothing, right? And Maiya's room is small, but I grew up in a room not much bigger, and it was split in two so I could share it with my brother. I managed just fine, I think she'll be pretty happy with it.

Ok, I know I must be boring everyone with all my remodel talk, but I'm in the "obsessed" stage! We'll be done soon, no worries. Only a few more days until the walls are all up, then a few more to paint. Yay!

That's exciting, Janet!

Thanks! It really is.

It's so funny though. My cat is a typical cat, super curious about everything, and a bit jumpy with all the movements and noises and changes. She's been awake most of the days while we work, and not acting scared or anything (trying to be in the room with us as we work, but we have to keep her out since my Dad is helping us a ton and is pretty allergic to her).

Anyway, typical cat that she is is used to sleeping 20 hours a day, and between the lack of sleep and the "scariness" of change, she has been very clingy. When I finally sat down tonight, she plastered herself in my arms, fell fast asleep, and hasn't budged in two hours! I really need to finish some neglected house work and get to bed, but I feel so bad disturbing her! She needs some Momma cuddles...

I'm such a push over.

How long is this temporary wall going to be up? I think if you both can stand to look at it, it shouldn't matter if it's perfect.

I'm not tired of the remodel talk and get the obsessive stage! I'm in the same mode right now. LOL I would do the mud and taping myself BUT mostly because DH and I are pretty picky and why it's been three weekends in the nursery to paint and put up the wallpaper border. I'm glad that we got going on that early because the room does smell. The paint smell isn't so much now but wow did the wallpaper stuff smell bad and like dog gas or sewers. And the wood from the crib has a smell too. I'm pretty sensitive to smells so maybe notice it more than most people would....but yeah that stuff needs to air out!

I'm a pushover too when it comes to my girls...though mostly for snuggles. I'm not so easy when it comes to begging for food.

I had a good long 4 day weekend. We got so much done and almost everything went pretty well and we had a lot of fun. The big downer was going to the mall and realizing that our local lane byrant closed down. Which is where I pretty much have to buy all my pants...tops I can find at other stores. When I moved here 7 years ago, I had like 3 or 4 plus sized stores to shop at. Now we have none. Closest store is now in the Twin Cities burbs....so a probably 90 minute drive.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

It will probably be a few years. We'll tear it down before we move, but we're not sure when we'll move. Hubby wants a really nice house, so we may never move, hah. But honestly, I'm guessing anywhere from 1 - 8 years, depending on what type of house hubby will settle for. Right now he's looking at $800,000+ houses. Yeah, that may be a while...

I'm glad you understand! It's fun, isn't it? Though yours will be SO MUCH better than mine. SO MUCH.

I'm thinking of being really cheap and just doing a quick mud. Honestly, I'm afraid that even if I did the mud and tape and sanding, it would still show. So I think I'll just do the mud to cover the screws and fill some holes. Lazy, lazy me! But we're doing great, almost done with the construction part. The painting and stuff will take way longer, but at least it will be functional very soon.

Glad you had a good long weekend! Sorry about them moving the stores. I hate when changes happens and makes things worse... Positive change, I'm all for, but when you lose things sucks!