Page 1468 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 468968136814181458146614671468146914701478 ... LastLast
Results 44,011 to 44,040 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by Krystal5 View Post
    Aw, I bet that makes you feel good. Really, though, it's the age old "nature versus nurture" debate. And let's face it, not EVERYTHING will be resolved by nature / maturation alone. You do very important work!! And you do it well.
    Thanks!

But I really like to overthink things. LOL.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

It makes total sense, and is one of the things I love about this, being able to watch her progress intimately. I've halfway raised other kids before, and it's not the same. I still really, really hope that you get your own personal experiment soon! Though, I'm glad you're nearing ok with whatever the outcome is.

Yeah, I didn't argue the point with her. In fact, I agreed. "Yes, you are right. There was an accident, and it is still there!" She then corrected me again, and we moved on. I'll just slowly brainwash it in to her!!

Hey, over thinking is fun! Especially when it's late and you SHOULD be sleeping, but have better things to do.

I know someone who used to say as a child, I can't say convertible....I say convernable. Couldn't convince her she COULD say convertible just fine....she just did. LOL

The why's...our cousins daughter just turned 4 yesterday and we hear is full of the why's. So much that she said Daddy, why do I ask you why all the time?

I'm going to be doing cloth....but the only way I got DH to agree was to just use one brand as he didn't want it all complicated. Went with Thirsties and have 12-14 size ones so far.

Anyone have fun plans for the weekend? I'm excited to NOT be painting. LOL Two weekends of that was enough for a while.

I definitely believe that nurture plays a huge role. My cousin has fetal alcohol syndrome and there is just no way I would believe that had she not been removed from her biological mom that she would be where she is today. She's in junior high and my aunt has always made sure that she got services she needed and help in school.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

The most fun I've had with a word with Mira is 'Sphinx'. I didn't really have to do anything, but pronounce it correctly, and watch as she went from 'Finks' to 'Spinks' to 'Sphinx'.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    The most fun I've had with a word with Mira is 'Sphinx'. I didn't really have to do anything, but pronounce it correctly, and watch as she went from 'Finks' to 'Spinks' to 'Sphinx'.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    And whatever the cause, Maiya is awesome!
    Agreed! Can't argue with that, and I am having a hard time catching up with everything else so I'd better just get back to my mountains of stuff that I'm procrastinating on.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Ash, I was with you right until "an essay on assessment and reflective cycles" What on earth is that?
    LOL. What it is is very boring! I have to write a 2500 word essay with about 20 different different references on the various views experts have on how teachers should mark pupils' work and how teachers should reflect on their practice of assessment in their classrooms to make them efficient at their jobs. I've just started reading on source tonight to try to get my brain switched back on to academia. I've had the week off as we went to Edinburgh, Scotland for a short city break. It's back to school/college next week! Eek!

Edinburgh was beautiful. If you ever get a chance to go, do it! The people are so friendly and the scenery is stunning. We had a few nice, sunny days when we were there, which helped I suppose! Driving through some of the national forests to get back to England was also very peaceful.

As for the weekend, it will be more reading for me, trying to tackle the pile of ironing that is building up, taking the boys to soccer tomorrow morning and then probably swimming on Sunday. The house needs a good tidying, so I guess I'll be in charge of that as well. Oh, and probably doing a big stew in the slow cooker tomorrow to freeze to have for supper this week.

Oh, the reflective cycles sounds ghastly. We used to have to do "journal reflections" that were similar. Shorter, but 1-3 pages due weekly following reading a long, boring research article. Good times.

The trip to Edinborough sounds lovely, though.

See that is why I majored in philosophy....I don't like writing (thank god I had dh to proof my papers LOL).....but generally the topics were interesting or fun. Library school was way more boring but I don't think we wrote quite as many papers.....though those profs were big sticklers on citations.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

You know, to me the vast majority of the topics were fascinating (although I hated anatomy and dysphagia) but there is something about the format of a scientific paper that makes the most riveting topic dull. And my professors were big on assigning the original research, rather than having us read textbooks. One professor assigned 5-10 papers PER CLASS, twice a week. Each paper 10-30 pages. She didn't assign journal reflections, which is fortunate, because only one student bothered to read them. And she never slept.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 11-02-2013 at 12:05 AM.

I met with a teacher friend the other day and talked about my essay. He laughed and commented on how he never uses anything he wrote about at university in his every-day teaching role. My own mentor at uni told us all to focus more on our school placements than on writing an amazing essay. I guess it boils down to the theory vs practical. Practical always trumps over theory unless you're in the field of quantum physics or something!

Speaking of teacher friends, I love my current uni classmates. They are a good mix of people. I can see them being life-long friends.

How's everyone's weekend been? We went to a Halloween party today and Cash had a blast dancing. Travis was his usual wallflower little self. It's so weird how they are so different.

Theory and practice can be very different - but it's too bad when they are so separate that theory doesn't apply at all. Theory should have some relevance to what you are doing - otherwise, what is the point?

There is a lot I don't use - I would never be able to pass my national exams anymore because I've forgotten a lot of stuff in the areas I don't practice. But the longer I'm working the more I look back on some of what my professors used to go on about - stuff that I criticized at the time for being too much theory and not practical enough - and realize what it was they were getting at and I'm starting to put it all in the big picture. I hope it's like that for you, too.

For me, the theory is really only a small part and so much more is practice. Really a lot of it I don't even use except maybe a little of the super common sense kind of things. But who knows if I was in a different environment, maybe it would be different. I'm in what is considered a special library and the majority of the focus of grad school is either academic or public. There was only one class that was specific to what I am doing. Some of the more basic concepts I can apply at least a little bit. Plus is CE and conferences....those have been very useful. And just time and practice. My boss and I applied to present a poster at the national one in May...I think we will find out in about six weeks if it was accepted.

our weekend was pretty busy. Went shopping yesterday and bought a twin bed for the nursery. I'm too old to be getting on the floor to change diapers in the middle of the night and want a place to sit in there, a place I can sleep in there if baby is sick or just put an extra guest. Plus bed will be there for when baby is out of the crib. We can pick up the bed next week. Right now I have a crib in a box and a mattress in a box on the floor in the room. Going to put those together after we wallpaper this weekend with MIL. did more shopping and errands and hung out together. Oh and made homemade beef and homemade noodle soup. I don't totally love the beef broth....don't have that as down as chicken. But lots of soup in the freezer. Today I did lasgana.....tomorrow I start water zumba and will not have time to cook Mondays and leftover lasagna is awesome. I'm nervous about the class tomorrow. I am not sold on knowing how to get there...DH did a test run with me but I'm awful with directions. And it's just something new and I'm not great at doing new things. But I do really miss being in the water.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Sounds like you had a great trip! I always find coming home from a trip to be almost painful, as you adjust back to "real life". Never stopped me from going, though!

Mandy, you are SO right about scientific papers. Which is a real shame. I love evolution and pre-history (and even some history, just generally not the part we study in school), but most of the papers I studied (only took these classes as GEs) were so boring, it was ridiculous. Yet now, if I find the right article online, I can get so caught up reading that I lose hours of my life! And it was time well spent. I often wonder why they can't teach with those types of articles. I mean, yeah, of course we'd also need the actual scientific papers, but I think we should utilize both!

I'm getting so excited! We have so many plans. I feel like I am going through a sort of mid-life crisis. Only instead of being caused by realizing I'm "old" and haven't achieved my dreams, instead it's caused by realizing I will never achieve my dreams due to factors beyond my control (infertility). But I'm going through a lot of the same emotions that a classic mid-life crisis causes. You know, wanting to buy everything and do everything and all. What I really want is a new house. We're saving for one, but we're probably a few years away yet. I keep trying to make it work sooner, though, because I'd really like to "start over" and move on.

Well, we just don't have enough savings yet (houses here are expensive!), so I'm looking for other ways to, well, spend way too much money and "start new". So what we decided to do is split Maiya's gigantic room in two. It will be SO NICE to have an office and a guest room, even though it will be small. And, we already have guests planned! So, just because I feel like writing my plans out (helps me think), here are my plans:

Finish putting up the wall to split the room in two (I say finish, but we've BARELY started. As in, we have some measurements and a rough plan.)
    Hopefully finish that in a few weeks, and Maiya will have her first ever friend sleep over. Technically, a sleep over would be better in the gigantic room, but I want her to like having the rooms split, so want to associate the new room with being able to have sleep overs.
    Then I'll work on quite a few more small projects around my house, that I'm hoping to finish sometime in January.
    In February, we'll have an exchange student from Japan for a month. Our first real guest for the guest room!
    Then, probably mid-March, Maiya and I will go live in Japan for 3-ish months! She'll be in preschool and I'll have a part time job teaching English (so I need to start preparing for that, too!).
    After coming home from Japan (where, hopefully, Maiya will have learned some Japanese), we'll probably have some more exchange students from Japan in our guest room, and I really think having them here will help Maiya to retain some Japanese.

I talked to both my host mom and the liaison for the exchange students today, AND we're about ready to start buying materials for the rooms, so I'm just very excited. Yay!

Boy, y'all are BUSY!

A friend of mine had to work yesterday, and I watched her 6 year old for her. I alternated between thinking how wonderful it is to have the kids entertain each other, and how insane it is when they aren't. Overall, a g

A good experience.

Why can't I edit what I wrote from my phone?

Oh I love making plans! That should be a lot of fun going to Japan and having an exchange student/s.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I can't do anything except read and write on the mobile site, Suja, but if you switch to full site at the bottom when you're on your phone you can probably edit.

I am starting my second week of calling in sick to work. I am up and walking around and doing stuff, but I have a pretty bad cough and sinus congestion and if I talk for more than a little while I start coughing and can't stop. I've been coughing so much that I've been gagging and having to make sure my bladder is always empty because my body just can't take it anymore. I go through periods of not coughing very much and I start feeling a little better, and then bam, back again. I haven't been able to read to the kids very much. So while I probably could go in and do something, I can't be around patients and would not be able to talk all day.

Despite all that, we went to gold country on Saturday and went panning and sluicing for gold. DH found a little bit of gold and S. fell into the river a couple of times with his boots on and I spent most of my time carrying him back and forth to the car to change his clothes and find new boots for him. Then we went to Railtown nearby and looked around at some of the antique trains. Yesterday I just did errands and took S. to a birthday party of a preschool buddy. I spent a good part of the time talking to some scientist dads who were in a related field to DH, digging up all of my scraps of interest or knowledge about the Higgs particle and gene sequencing and deuterium fusion and protein mapping to stay in the conversation and maybe gain some contacts for the future. Plus they actually were interesting.

Janet, your home remodel sounds really exciting. I hope it all goes quickly for you.

L, take care of yourself! This is me scolding you.

Janet, my sister taught English in Japan. I don't know if this is something you have done before, but of you have questions, I'm sure she will share her experience with you. Sounds like fun!
    Last edited by Gwenn; 11-04-2013 at 06:17 PM.

Okay, can I be geeky for a moment?

(I know, I'm always geeky. But I do try to hide it at least some of the time).

I joined twitter recently so I can follow a bunch of random speech pathologists, authors, and celebrities. In that order, LOL! Anyway, there are a few people in the SLP world who seem to be super active on Twitter. Some I am familiar with, and others I am not. One person I followed because he always seemed to have a lot of excellent, research-based information.

Not long ago, I was searching published journal articles for information about how to help one of my students and came across quite a bit of research articles written by the guy from Twitter. Apparently he's a bigwig in children's speech sound disorders. I had no clue! Anyway, I just had two different twitter-based exchanges with him and just now he followed me back!

Not QUITE like having an actual celebrity follow me back - but allow me to be geekily excited by my brush with fame anyway!
    Last edited by Gwenn; 11-04-2013 at 11:19 PM.

Gwen that is cool....not geeky!

I survived my first water zumba class last night. I got there by myself in the dark....with wet roads. I don't like driving in the dark especially if the roads are wet and I get lost super easily. Class went well and I liked it. I didn't feel it in the water but holy cow when I got out I felt it! Slept hard last night too. Have another one tomorrow night....twice a week for I think 5 weeks.

Looks like I'm waking up to snow tomorrow. I'm not in it yet but cities just next to mine have a winter weather advisory. Maybe 2 inches by me and just west and north 4-6 inches. Not quite ready for that yet!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Now you know how people feel when their favorite celebrities follow them! That's cool!

I'm glad your water zumba class went well, Jennifer.

My cousin in New Hampshire said it was snowing the other day, and it almost snowed here but it was a bit too warm so it was more like sleet.

OMG, I just got a freaking call at work from someone from Hilton trying to tell me I was selected as a special member to go to Vegas. I was like, I don't appreciate being called at work. Goodbye. And hung up on her. I know I stayed at a hilton once or twice for a conference but seriously uncool to call me at work with that. Probably because my phone at home is now on the do not call list.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Do you think it was a scam? Or just a poorly timed marketing call?

Aren't most of those calls a scam? I get them at home or used to an a regular basis....just never at work before. and my work number isn't highly published or anything.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I would assume scam, but if you stayed there in the past, who knows. I never like calls on my cell phone from mystery callers.

I confess that I am so excited for Friday night. James and I are going to have a date at a new club. Boogie Nights that has all 70's to 80's disco. Sometimes I forget that I am really 24 and not 50 years old re-living my youth. Then of course I have James that will be 32 this month on the 13th that thinks he's an old man. Yup, we are goobers.
    *** Lindsay ***

You're only as old as you feel, Lindsay. Or as one of my friends likes to say, "You're only as old as the man that you feel."

I have spent my afternoon organizing my teaching/college files. It's absurd the amount of paperwork you have to keep as a teacher. I now should move on to the laundry and ironing while the kids are still at school/nursery. I am so not an organized person, so doing all this seems like such hard work. I wish I was one of those people who has organization built in to their genetic makeup.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    You're only as old as you feel, Lindsay. Or as one of my friends likes to say, "You're only as old as the man that you feel."
    That is hilarious! No wonder I've been feeling so old lately! My DH is a few years younger than I am, but according to his friends, he's been a curmudgeon since he was in high school.

AND MOMENT OF REALITY Lindsay I was going to correct you on your math that people who might have enjoyed 70's music when it came out were 50-something now but then I stopped and thought about it and realized that I was in high school in the 80's and I am 40-something. Every once in a while life takes a really bizarre turn and I realize I'm not the person I always think I am internally.

Like this: http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/thing...eel-really-old

A lot of the pop culture references I don't get sometimes because I lived so much of my life without a tv, but some of them I do. And I am not one to be in denial about how old I am, at all, but I'm not acutely aware of every passing second with every passing heartbeat like my DH is, either.

Part of me feels like a 20-year-old trapped in the body of a 40-year-old. And another part of me feels old as the hills. Particularly in discussions like this!

Oh, well. I have a co-worker who got up on stage with Bruce Springsteen once during a performance, before he was famous. She used to be a back-up singer. She's incredibly stylish and put together. I told her I was born after my time - we would have had so much fun hanging out together back in the day.