Page 1465 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 465965136514151455146314641465146614671475 ... LastLast
Results 43,921 to 43,950 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

I don't mind changing my mind if Josh has a valid argument, like S did about the toys.

I think Josh is about to face a disappointment. He's writing a little play and he's going to recruit volunteers to be in it at his birthday party. I'm afraid nobody will want to do it, but I think I should let him try, instead of warning him in advance that it might not be something his friends want to do. I'm just afraid he's going to be hurt if they say no. Such is parenting, I guess!

Aw,Kate. I hope they do it. Savana has been asking about setting up a museum in our boat house for people to come and look at her rock collection. I don't have the heart to tell her she may not have a line out the door. We are getting her a rock tumbler for her birthday next week and I'm so excited to give it to her. She has loved rocks since she was old enough to grasp them in her tiny hands. She has decorative boxes and tackle boxes in her room filled with rocks that she takes out and organizes them at least weekly. I do think that you are doing right by Josh for letting him give it a go. I hope the kids surprise you, and go along with it. He reminds me so much of Savana! She is constantly making up games and stories and trying to recruit people. She makes board games all the time and I swear she just makes up the rules as we play.

Gretchen, I love what your mom said about a well kept child. Really sweet.

Josh does the same thing! He's always making up games, and new rules to games. Or he'll change the rules halfway through a game. "Oh, I forgot to tell you..." LOL

Aww...I hope Josh's play works out. I would want to let him try. Maybe nobody will go along ... But who knows? Creative people all start somewhere!

Or maybe I've just been reading too many rock biographies/autobiographies. I'm such a dork. LOL.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I'm one of those horrible moms that takes my kid out any way she wants. We're even to the point that, if she fights me getting dressed or brushing hair or teeth, I call her bluff and tell her "Fine, don't do it. Let's go." So far that's worked to get her to get ready, because my kid's a weird one! There have been a few times that I've forgotten to brush her hair, though. And I have no problem with stained clothes. She's 3, they'll be stained before the day is up no matter what they look like when she puts them on! I also let her pick out her own clothes. Some days she's not in the mood, so I do, but most days she picks her own. So she ends up with some crazy combos! It's so funny, we were just talking about this in my playgroup. The other moms were saying how it's such a fight to get them to agree to clothes that "look good". I find it rather "ironic" that I never fight Maiya on it, and let her wear what she wants, and she's also never fought me on it. But they fight each other all the time!

Gretchen, glad her hair is better than you expected! Can't wait to see what it looks like.

I do tell Maiya when some of her "amazing" plans are likely to not succeed. I think of it as preparing her, so her heart is not as likely to get broken. I wouldn't tell her "No one is going to come see your museum!", but I do say things like "You might get about 10 people."

Ugggggh, Maiya is having SUCH a horrible time sleeping lately. Last night it took her over an hour to fall asleep, and tonight we're at the hour mark and she IS SO WIRED. She's up in bed, squirming like crazy. Up and down and round and round. Playing and singing and talking. Now she is standing on her bed. She is EXHAUSTED. Wish I knew why she was having such issues. I'm tempted to bring out the melatonin, but hate to resort to that already. She was SO tired today. And tomorrow is our late night- playgroup. She is doomed!

And it breaks my heart, because she has started getting REALLY clingy to me. She will yell at me (from her room) "MOMMA! I NEED YOU! I NEED CUDDLES BECAUSE I LOVE YOU AND I MISS YOU!!!" Ugggggggggggh. She will NOT sleep with me in there. Not that she's sleeping anyway right now.

Possibly because of the combination sleep issues and clinginess, I am cranky all of a sudden tonight. Wasn't earlier, but now I just want to smack something. And eat really junky food.

We're on the same wavelength tonight. I just gorged on pumpkin pie. I'm sad. My brother's ex-boyfriend used to say, "I just ate my feeling."
    Yup. I did.

Hugs, Janet. I'm sorry you're cranky.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    We're on the same wavelength tonight. I just gorged on pumpkin pie. I'm sad. My brother's ex-boyfriend used to say, "I just ate my feeling."
    Yup. I did.

Yes, eat my feelings, that's what I want to do! But I don't know what I'm in the mood for. My dinner was a bit rich, so ice cream just sounds like torture... Maybe some really good soup...

Why are you sad? Do you know? I'm not even sure why I'm all irritated! Maybe because I'm hosting playgroup tomorrow and I desperately need to clean the house, and I don't want to?

Thanks for the hugs, Mandy!

The "good" news is that, as the evening wore on, Maiya got more and more wired. She left her room a few times, but then ran back to bed, like she was testing to see if she'd get caught. Of course, I knew (I have a video monitor. I SEE ALL.), but I let her do it- I wanted her to figure this out on her own. Then she started going in to the bathroom and running back to bed. Then she started playing in the sink and running back to bed. That was as far as I was going to let it go!

I told her to stay in bed, and she started telling me she was "so thirsty". Right, because you've only been playing for an hour, including in the sink, and weren't thirsty then. Still, I brought her some water and "scolded" her. I told her "I am getting very upset because you are not even trying to sleep. You will be very cranky tomorrow and we will not be able to do anything." Fortunately, now she is laying relatively still in bed, cuddled up to her Big Baa. She is still totally wired and wide awake, but at least she's staying in bed. My poor natural born insomniac.

Maybe there is something going around. Mira had been horrid getting to sleep as well. Just when I was starting to think that we had a handle on it.

Glad she seems to be settling. Bedtime around here are chaotic. Savana and Kai sleep downstairs and I go down there and read to them but Sawyer is with us so him and Kai get crazy, and I have to remind Kai several times to brush teeth, stop reading each time anyone has to go potty, Sawyer screaming, Kai doing kung foo with my yoga ball. Savana just trying to hear the story but freeeeeking out if Sawyer touches her bed. She says he is dirty. Lol. She will carry him around and love on him all day but the bed is OFF LIMITS.

I'm sad because I'm feeling so much regret for the way I treated my mom for so many years. I thought I had resolved those feelings but lately I have been drudging up old memories and just, blah.
    I'll be fine.

Hugs, Bridget. Some losses in life, we can never be prepared for, I think.

Suja, me too. I recently moved her bedtime up, and things were going great, I thought we'd finally found a good schedule. Now this! Oops.

Naturally, within minutes of me telling her to stay in bed (and within minutes of my last post), she was asleep! Now I'm shooting myself for letting it go so long. Of course, even if I'd made her stay in bed earlier, she probably wouldn't have been able to fall asleep much earlier.

Whew, Bridget, bedtime sounds pretty epic for you guys. Ours isn't bad, even though she has a hard time falling asleep. I'm impressed! And I'm the same as Savana, my bed is quite particular. I can't even stand jeans anywhere near my bed!!

I'm so sorry about your mom... I'm sure you'll be fine, but regrets, especially those you can never do anything about, are so hard. <hugs>

Epic is a good way to describe it! Actually, it is kind of fun when I have the right attitude and allow time for distractions. And when I go upstairs I don't make them get into bed. I just let them gravitate to their beds. They actually do a lot of school work at that time. And come pattering upstairs to tell me some groundbreaking idea they had. Last night, here was Kai's:
    Mom, here's what I think. I think farts don't stink. They are just bubbles of stinkless air. But since they are stored in the same place as poop, they bring the stink out with them.

I could hardly tell Mark later. I was laughing so hard trying to repeat that awesome theory.

LOL! I had to look up farts. And found out that some can be flammable!

I love how Kai's brain works!!
    And yeah, Suja... wait, you just found out now that you can light your farts? I've never done it personally, but DH has some stories from his teenage years. Apparently he and his friends back then thought it was hilarious. Best done through jeans, was his takeaway, so as not to singe the tenders.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Well, the sleep was short lived. She spend most of the night yelling at me. Not mad, just yelling. "MOMMA, I MISS YOU! MOMMA, I WANT CUDDLES BECAUSE I LOVE YOU! MOMMA, I HAVE SOMETHING TO TELL YOU! MOMMA, I HAVE SOMETHING FOR YOU! MOMMA, IS IT TIME TO GET UP YET?" Uuuuugggggggggggghhhhhh. Something's obviously going on, because her sleep has been getting steadily worse the last few nights, but this was ridiculous. I'm guessing it's her typical on-the-half-year developmental sleep issue thing. She went through an AWFUL phase at 1 1/2, and another bad phase at 2 1/2, this one's a bit late (and the others were a bit early), but my guess is that we're in for a rough month or two until she's out of this one. Hold me!

And now, I am totally exhausted, of course, and need to desperately finish cleaning my house for playgroup tonight. I didn't get much done last night, and it's exceptionally bad because we've been doing some remodel / repair work, and I decided that as long as we have the dumpster, I should cleanse the closets. Spring cleaning in fall! So my house is all torn apart, and we've been tracking dirt in like crazy, and not only do we have our cat dropping coat, but our dog who normally lives at my parents has been here, too, and he's also dropping coat, and I have not done a good thorough deep clean in a week. I have my work cut out for me, and instead I'm updating here because I don't want to get up off my butt. Motivate me!

And to top it all off, the insurance adjuster decided to come today, in two hours, so I have even LESS time than normal.

All right, time to face the world head on!
    Last edited by Krystal5; 10-24-2013 at 10:37 AM.

The bedtime shenanigans sound like what Josh has been up to ever since he was old enough to get up by himself. It's always one more thing, or one more hug and kiss, or my tummy hurts, or I'm starving, or can I have glue, scissors, more paper, a book, or I'm thirsty and water doesn't help (even though we tell him that is exactly what water does)

Haha, I love Kai's theory about farts and I can't believe Suja has never heard that you can light farts on fire either. (I have never done it either, but I've seen video proof)

Oh, I called Josh's doctor the other day to ask if we could do anything about his cold sore. She recommended Aquaphor (she said the medicines out there are best for ages 12+). I've been applying it and it looks better already. Just wanted to let you guys know!

House is cleaner than it has been all summer, I think! Now I get to have 10 three year olds and a few babies run amuck. So much for clean! And sleepless in the suburbs is down for a nap. Phew. Hopefully she won't totally melt down at playgroup tonight!

I'm ALMOST done with my house. Except my cat has claimed the rug mat as her own, so I just "can't" put my house back together yet. Instead I must sit here and take a break for a few minutes. Oh, the horror. (In other words, any excuse to sit down for a minute will do for me!)

Glad to hear that Josh's cold sore is looking better! Those are no fun at all.

I've apparently been living under a rock!

Saturday is fall festival, so tomorrow, we get to decorate the classroom. This one is going to be daunting. I'm taking some time off tomorrow to cut some bushes and such for the enchanted forest. Would be nice if it were a tad warmer/less windy.
    Oh, and we got tickets for Disney on Ice for Sunday. I get the feeling the kids will be ecstatic, and the parents, snoring.

We took Josh to Disney on Ice maybe a year ago. I can't remember. DH hated it because he's not a Disney fan and he hates ice skating, but I enjoyed it because I like both. It's not a bad production, really. Josh liked it but didn't love it.

Aww my parents took us when we were little but they also enjoyed it.....they like Disney and live musicals.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Suja, I am totally tempted to point you to some shock websites now just because I somehow want to sully your complete innocence. BTW, it is completely dangerous to light farts on fire. Not just the little bits of dangerous you might think, with like fireworks close to mucous membranes. Any occasion it has actually gone well without serious injury is probably a time to celebrate, and not with more fire.

Kai shocked me tonight. I had to close the book at bedtime tonite after multiple times of having to stop while him and Savana argued about gosh knows what. They both started with meltdown city and I was like GUYS! I don't want to end our nights like this! It makes me frustrated when I try to read and I have to talk over you so I stop and now you are both yelling at me! I don't want to yell at you so I am going upstairs. Goodnight.

10 minutes later, Kai comes upstairs and apologizes to me! He says, "I'm sorry about acting like that mom"
    He never, EVER does that. I mean, this is a total first. I've gotten the flippant sorries here and there as he gallops out of the room after knocking something over but never a thought out apology. I wanted to kiss his sassy little face. But he hates it when I kiss him so I just thanked him very much for his apology.
    Last edited by Bridget; 10-24-2013 at 10:04 PM.

You're raising such wonderful kids, Bridget. It takes a certain level of introspection, to do what he did.

I really didn't know he had it in him, Suja. It made my heart soar.

Good job Kai! Very impressive.

I am thankful for long hair today because it hides my mishapen face. Seriously visible now that my face is all swollen on the left side of the jaw up near my ear. My boss was like that is bizzare. And said I must be sensitive. He remembers last year how I didn't do so well with the tdap and now this reaction to the flu shot...and of course he's had no reaction to his. I am really going to have rethink doing it next year.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

That was very sweet of Kai! Josh doesn't apologize much. I get a grumbled "sorry" when I ask him to apologize. Once in a while he'll come to me days or even a week later and say, "Remember when I _____? I'm sorry about that."
    Did you get it checked out yet, Jennifer?

Aww that is cute of Josh too! That shows he is thinking about things at least once in a while. I think apologizing and meaning it is a hard skill to develop.

Yeah I stopped by employee health yesterday. Basically she said it was most likely something in the flu shot this year that I am reacting strongly too. Nobody else I know is having this problem but the RN did say that one other person has complained of swollen lymph node after the shot. I was told rest, fluids, and OTC pain relivers.
    I am just really whiny about it because it freaking hurts and is putting pressure on my ear and my face is visibly swollen. And I hate taking so much advil or tylenol because it tends to upset my stomach even when I take it with food. It was hard even brushing my teeth this morning.
    I don't otherwise feel sick, it's only one side (side I got the shot on), I don't have any infections going on, my teeth don't have any issues....otherwise if I thought it might be that, i would get into a doctor and see if I needed an antibiotic.

I am just really jealous of everyone else I know that had just a tiny bit of a sore arm and that is it.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Aww that is cute of Josh too! That shows he is thinking about things at least once in a while. I think apologizing and meaning it is a hard skill to develop.

Yeah, even some adults don't know how!
    Sorry you're in so much pain! Would an ice pack help?