Page 1459 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 459 959 1359 1409 144914571458145914601461 1469 ... LastLast
Results 43,741 to 43,770 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Yeah, sorry about that! I'm just glad you can hide them on Facebook. Those should be all from me for a while!

And there ya go, new signature that has NOTHING at all to do with creepy crawlies!

I want to go to the beach tomorrow, Maiya has been asking to go every day for two weeks. But the government's stupid temper tantrum has the beach "shut down". It says no hang gliding is allowed, but I can't imagine that they would block it off and ban even just walking... Would they? Hmm... I don't want to get her hopes up and then break her heart, but if I don't try, I'll never know... What to do, what to do...

Oh, and Gretchen, I was worried at first, too, about the lye. But then after doing lots of research I decided to try it. So far, so good! I kind of like doing science projects in my house, that I can then put to use!

I LOVE the new siggy. So cute.

I cannot believe this "temper tantrum" is still going. So stupid. Myself, I'd give it a shot and take her for a walk on the beach. They don't have anyone guarding it, do they? They couldn't - they'd have to pay someone to guard. Insane.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Thanks for guiding us up there, Janet! We all had a blast. What a beautiful day! I'll have some pics to post too, but I'll try to send a warning first about the 8-legged ones.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Back home and kind of groggy right now. Want to go to bed so badly, but Mira is still going strong. I need to figure out a way to post a bunch of my trip pics on FB, but maybe this weekend.

Apparently, my grandma has been sick, while we were gone. She has had asthma for as long as I can remember, and ended up in the hospital. There, they discovered that her blood sugar levels were sky high. She is doing a little better, and home now. Mom also said something about nodules in her lungs, but they haven't really looked into it at this point. She is my only living grandparent, and I am hoping to see her when we go to India next year.

Oh, Gretchen, I would love to see some of the pics you got of the day.

Suja, hope you made it to bed! Looking forward to pics.

So sorry about your Grandma... Glad she is feeling better. Hope she stays healthy for a long time!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I'm sorry to hear about your grandma, Suja. I would love to hear some more about your trip. Aside from Mira not sleeping in new places, how did she do? Did she like it? Did you get to have any fun or was it mostly more work and exhausting? I like traveling a lot, but I have to admit traveling with my kids is a lot more work than being at home.

It's also difficult when I have to coordinate them and my DH at the same time, who doesn't understand why I like to make sure that they get their meals on a semi-regular schedule but I don't pay as much attention to his schedule. This issue sometimes comes up when it's getting close to lunch and he tries to plan a several-hour expedition somewhere after hanging out all morning waiting for a plan to be made. Actually, this happens at home, too. I think he wants me to sometimes just put him first in that situation and say let's go! but it would be miserable for everyone if we're out trying to have fun and the kids are all hungry. He also just tends to forget that they need to eat a little more frequently than he does.

My foot has not recovered from my hike in the redwoods. Our school had a walk/roll to school day, and we met up with a big group of people a little closer to school and gathered more as we went along. The twins were on scooters. It's about a mile away. I could barely keep up with them. I had to jog most of the way there. Now I'm limping again. They are doing a lot of conservation teaching on campus, and yesterday Claire was going around turning off lights while I was still in the room and querying me about whether or not I was using energy-efficient lightbulbs (yes) and whether or not I washed clothes in cold water. They didn't believe me about the lightbulbs and they said, "Are you sure? About ALL of them?" so I had to go around and show them the different lightbulbs and how even the globes were specially-designed energy-efficient bulbs. They had bicycle-powered smoothies when they got to school. The blenders were set up on the bicycles and powered by kids taking turns pedaling. It was pretty cool.We

We went to an organic farm cooperative last weekend, where there was a pumpkin patch and strawberry picking and kid activities like a chicken meet-and-greet and learning to tie knots and face painting. This was a new event for us. We usually go with a multiples group to a more commercial pumpkin patch. This was a lot of fun, though, and S. and I picked strawberries and brought home some delicious ones. They got to see a whole bunch of different foods being grown. S. loved feeding the chickens.

Oh no, L! You can't have your foot bothering you... Of all things! Does you doctor have any other ideas?

Sounds like you guys have been having lots of fun!

Last year, Maiya refused to wear a costume. This year, we've been talking about it for a while, and as most kids, she has wavered on what she wants to be. A bird, a skunk, a fox. The other day, though, out of no where, she asked to watch her old favorite movie, which is her favorite because it has her first and so far only serious crush. I let her watch it, and since then, she has again become OBSESSED with him. We've been pretending to be Peter, and all our stories star her and Peter (sorry, L, I'm sure you'll come back to her stories soon!). She also finally decided what she wants to be for Halloween. Yup, Peter!

I am thrilled with this costume choice, I think it's awesome. So, out of sheer insanity, I am attempting to make her a Peter Halloween costume. Those that know me know I am NOT skilled. This is laughable, really! But I'm trying.

So, here is Peter (from the Japanese animated version of the story of "Heidi"), and hopefully Maiya's Halloween costume this year! She is SSSSSSOOOOOOOOOO excited, it's adorable.

LOL! That shouldn't be too difficult! Aww...a crush!

Just sewing the patch on those pants nearly killed me! And now I have to make the hat. Someone hold me!! At least he's poor, so this doesn't have to be high quality, hah.

Yeah, she's too cute with her crush. He was her first crush, but then she kind of forgot about him. Out of no where she remembered him, and now she's in love with him again! I thought her tastes might have changed after a year, but nope.

Oh! Also, L, ages ago you told me to sing Bingo to Maiya's name to help her learn to spell it. She always hated that, didn't like me changing the song. Until now- she loves it and is singing along, spelling her name!

I'm about to beat my head against a wall. I decided for some reason I need to get with the program and download iOS 7. I have an older phone (iPhone 4) and I guess it doesn't have as much memory as some of the newer phones. The new OS takes up a lot of space and I didn't have that much space available. So I went through and deleted a bunch of apps and still needed another 2G. So I had to go through and weed out my music collection - this was really painful. And some people "lost" who shouldn't have but I realized I always skip their songs when they come up. So out they went. After all that (took me hours) I STILL didn't have enough space. So - pictures. I have a bunch of pictures, including my wedding pictures, on my phone. They needed to go, but I was afraid to just delete them from the phone in case they vanished. So I plugged in my phone to the computer and what do you know - iTunes put all my music back on the phone! So after I took out my wedding and vacation pictures, I had to go through and weed my music AGAIN!!!!! It was horrible. And now I'm downloading. I really hope this is worth it.

I'm having the same problem with my phone and the update. Not nearly enough room. I deleted some apps and some pics but I guess I have to tackle the music next!

I wish that when you post your pics from your phone to facebook, that it would give you an option to delete those pics from your phone. I hate going through and trying to remember if I posted them on facebook. I guess the easiest thing to do would be to look at facebook on my PC and delete the pics from my phone at the same time.

I am much too lazy to delete pictures. If my phones didn't keep dying I would have thousands of pictures on my phone

Hope all you ladies are doing well! I am getting all prepped for finals and trying to ignore the whole head in my crotch situation until he's ready to show up.

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

See, this is why I never update anything! My stuff works as is, I don't need to install things and mess it up. Drives hubby insane, but I can't stand jumping through a bunch of hoops like that, just for things to be changed that didn't need to be changed.

And I take WAAAAAAAAAAY too many pictures. I love pictures. But I do get them off my phone and camera regularly.

So I am almost finished with the costume! The knee patch was WAY harder than I expected, but the hat was easier. Hat isn't quite done yet, I need Maiya here so I can fit it to her head before I finalize it. I actually fit it this morning, so have it all pinned and everything, but I changed my mind and want to fit it again, I think the back was too high. Then we'll go buy her some boots (her water proof boots from last winter are, of course, too small, so she needs them anyway) and she can be Peter!

She's so funny, though. She does not do well with feeling like she's put on the spot. Like if we go trick or treating (by the way, L, she remembers we went with you last year, and wants to go with you again. I told her I don't know if you'll be available. If you are going, would you mind her tagging along again?), she will not want to say "Trick or treat" on demand (that'll be interesting...). She doesn't like to say anything on demand. She LOVES her doctor, and has so much she wants to say to her doctor, but when we get there, she clams up. Same with her SLP. So, naturally, she is SO excited about this costume. Therefore, she was too nervous to wear it this morning when I was fitting her hat to her! She was like "You wear it, Momma." "Ok, I'm all done." Even on the way to school today, she told me "Don't tell my teachers I'm going to be Peter for Halloween." Oi! I'd better not be going through all this for her to decided she is too excited to wear it!!
    Last edited by Krystal5; 10-10-2013 at 11:14 AM.

Too cute! My kids are like that too. All 3 of them, Kai the least but he still his. Savana had a song she wanted sing for dbf for his birthday and practiced the whole week he was gone and then couldn't do it on his birthday. But then she randomly walked into his office one day about a week later and did it! Sawyer chatted all the way to his dr appt about how he was going to ask Dr C if animals go poopy and he was going to tell him his name is Soy-yo and he is a boy and he is 2 years old. We got in there and he wouldn't say a word. Wouldn't even look at him! Then all the way home he talked about how NEXT TIME he was going to ask Dr C.....

There is something going around fb about how if a child doesn't say thank you maybe they are diagnosed with such and such and if I child is not wearing a costume maybe they have sensory processing disorder and if they have trouble choosing which piece maybe they have this other thing. Whole thing telling people to be patient, I guess, for kids with disorders. I thought to myself that all of that sounds like being a child a syndrome to me and I cannot imagine someone expecting anything different from little children!

I love Maiya's costume idea! So cute. And I think there's a lot of anticipation over Halloween. Last year Noe dressed as her favorite book character at the time (Gunhilde from The Duchess Bakes a Cake - I went as the duchess). She was so excited but refused to try on the cap or shoes or other parts of the costume for me before we went out TorTing. I was so worried that after all of that work she would refuse to wear it, but lo and behold, when the moment came, she demanded to put it all on and went out without a hitch. And she looked soooo cute!

This year she's wavered between firefighter and princess, but yesterday she changed her mind and decided to be her favorite meteorological phenomenon, the cumulonimbus cloud. I think it'll be a really cute costume, actually. I'm excited to put it together for her, and even more excited that she's not going to be a princess, because as fun as it would be to sew a pretty little princess dress, it's just sort of ho-hum for a little girl, yk? So I'm happy to hold off one more year.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

I think emotions are so big for little people that it is hard for them to center that a lot of time. Heck, I sometimes have a hard time with what I would consider my 'big' emotions - I wouldn't expect a toddler to have a handle on it.

Exactly, Christine. Savana is not going to dress up this year, so she says. I'm bummed but it's totally up to her obviously. She says she doesn't want everyone staring at her! Lol. I'm afraid she'll stand out more being the one not in costume especially since we are actually going to a party. Kai's going to be harry potter. No surprise there! I got a great deal off craigslist for a Hogwarts robe, glasses and a little broomstick. He already has the glasses, however, and wears them any time we go to an "event" like a birthday party of dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    There is something going around fb about how if a child doesn't say thank you maybe they are diagnosed with such and such and if I child is not wearing a costume maybe they have sensory processing disorder and if they have trouble choosing which piece maybe they have this other thing. Whole thing telling people to be patient, I guess, for kids with disorders. I thought to myself that all of that sounds like being a child a syndrome to me and I cannot imagine someone expecting anything different from little children!
    Bridget, I've seen that in years past and I'm seeing it again this year. I find it super preachy and irritating - thank you for putting your finger on just why it bothers me. One of the ones I saw said something to the effect of, if a child can't say "Trick or Treat" maybe he has Apraxia, and I was like, "What???"

Apraxia is super, super rare and there are so many other reasons a child might not say "Trick or Treat" - why jump to the most unlikely, worst-case scenario, you know?

Although, I have a mama of a child with autism on my facebook who just posted that this is the first year her son will be able to say "Trick or Treat." It's hugely emotional for her and I get it. I think special needs mamas really feel what their kids can't do that other kids can do.

Gretchen - a cumolonimbus cloud! I love it!

Kate, I was going to ask if you had too much music, too. I never delete my pictures off my phone. Most of the time they are just random snaps of the dog and there is no rhyme or reason to it. I guess I need to take some time and organize everything into albums and delete them off my phone.

Christina - you are due any time now, aren't you? How are you feeling?

Honestly until more recently, I don't know maybe 5 years or so....I would have found it really strange to not see a kid in costume trick or treating. I would have understood the not saying anything more...just thinking the kid was shy. Things like sensory processing disorders were not even on my radar. And that is with my cousin being special needs (fetal alcholol syndrome but thankfully not the super severe kind).
    It really wasn't until coming on here that I even heard much about these kinds of issues and really have been surprised to hear how many kids seem to have it.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I had SPD as a child (undiagnosed, of course) and my family just thought I was melodramatic and whiny. I'm so glad we understand the reasons for things now more than we used to. If you can just say, "Oh, I understand why that bothers you. Let's figure out another way to do it." it makes a world of difference, rather than treating the child like they're bad or lazy or deliberately misbehaving.

I cannot wait to see the little cloud! And Harry Potter. And Peter.

My phone makes calls and that is it. Kind of nice. But I suppose eventually my iPad will be in trouble with pictures. I should just use the camera since it's better quality but I like being able to upload to FB to easily from the ipad.

I cannot wait to hear what baby boy Christina officially is named. Sounds like it's been a bit hard to come up! I love hearing how people come up with the names for their kids and pets that they do.
    It still bugs me that I might not give my kid their middle name but I feel pretty obligated at least ask the birth family if they want to give that part since I am definitely giving the first name (some adoptive families even do that with the birth but I will not promise that)....they have the right to name the baby whatever they want and we have the right to legally change it when the adoption is finalized....but I wouldn't promise to keep the name when I know I will not, got to remain ethical and honest. And of course we will have baby's name changed to our last name. So yeah kind of hoping that they feel like we should name the baby and don't want to give the middle name. Or we just get a safe haven baby and don't ever have to deal with a birth family.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Jennifer, I work with a little boy who was adopted out of foster care. They changed his name after he was adopted to a nickname of his birth name. So, for example (this isn't his actual name) birth name was Christopher and they changed his name to Chris. It seemed like a strange change to me, if you were going to call him the same thing, anyway. Maybe they just wanted ownership of naming him? I can see that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    I had SPD as a child (undiagnosed, of course) and my family just thought I was melodramatic and whiny. I'm so glad we understand the reasons for things now more than we used to. If you can just say, "Oh, I understand why that bothers you. Let's figure out another way to do it." it makes a world of difference, rather than treating the child like they're bad or lazy or deliberately misbehaving.
    Oh I agree. I think my sister maybe had a very mild case when little. I just think since it wasn't on my radar at all until more recent years (and it was AFTER I started working what I do now), that it's probably not on the average person's radar unless their child has it or someone they know does.

But I also don't think that it's a general child thing...at least in my experience most kids I known don't have those issues or if they do it's very mild like my sister.

It's good to raise awareness....though I haven't seen this post on FB yet myself.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Yeah my aunt and her partner did something like that with my cousins. The older one they kept the first name and later regretted it. They pretty much use Ana which is part of her name (it's not so common the full version which is why the regretted it). The boy, his name was just not good. They used a nickname at first and it later transitioned into what they named him once adoption became the plan. They had the kids as infants/newborns and adopted at 2 yrs for one and 18 months for the other. Coming out of foster care is a little different than what we are doing. They do not have any contact with the birth families of my cousins. And in many cases of foster care, not having them be able to find you is a good thing.
    Since we have agreed to open adoption, we will likely have at least some contact with at least the birthmom. The level of openness is TBD by us and her....some are not that open and some are very open. A name is such a big deal. I have given up the biological aspects of it that I HATE to give up the name. But since we will likely have ongoing contact, I just cannot promise one thing and just change it anyway because I can. So my compromise is to at least ask if she/they would like to give the middle name. I mean if I don't like that, not like you use middle names much anyway.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Exactly, Christine. Savana is not going to dress up this year, so she says. I'm bummed but it's totally up to her obviously. She says she doesn't want everyone staring at her! Lol. I'm afraid she'll stand out more being the one not in costume especially since we are actually going to a party. Kai's going to be harry potter. No surprise there! I got a great deal off craigslist for a Hogwarts robe, glasses and a little broomstick. He already has the glasses, however, and wears them any time we go to an "event" like a birthday party of dinner.
    Awww! Maybe bring a costume for her to the party, as back up, in case she changes her mind. I could imagine that at a costume party, someone who isn't dressed up is going to stand out a bit more.

I can't wait to see pics of everybody! Nolan's costume is super generic, I have no energy for cutesy ideas, we just let him pick out a costume at Wal-Mart - he chose SpiderMan.

Christina - you are due any time now, aren't you? How are you feeling?
    Whenever he is ready to come! I am trying my best to ignore time (yeah right ) He needs to just hang out. I have a final next weekend, so I would like to get that done before he comes!

Hubs wants me to stop working after my due date, if he hasn't come by than, but other than some pretty hard core foot swelling during the course of the work day I feel OK - so we'll just keep at it til he vacates

I'll be honest, I know next to nothing about sensory disorders at all. Like Jennifer, it was such a foreign concept to me before coming to APA and I still barely have a grasp of it at all. I probably should educate myself more on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I cannot wait to hear what baby boy Christina officially is named. Sounds like it's been a bit hard to come up! I love hearing how people come up with the names for their kids and pets that they do.
    It still bugs me that I might not give my kid their middle name but I feel pretty obligated at least ask the birth family if they want to give that part since I am definitely giving the first name (some adoptive families even do that with the birth but I will not promise that)....they have the right to name the baby whatever they want and we have the right to legally change it when the adoption is finalized....but I wouldn't promise to keep the name when I know I will not, got to remain ethical and honest. And of course we will have baby's name changed to our last name. So yeah kind of hoping that they feel like we should name the baby and don't want to give the middle name. Or we just get a safe haven baby and don't ever have to deal with a birth family.
    Well, Oakley will be somewhere in the name. Either first or middle. I printed out a very, very long list of names for us to go over. That is supposed to be our project this weekend is finalizing a name once and for all. It is so difficult being I feel like we've gone over the same boy names with NOlan and now again this time.

I think it is really sweet that you'll be asking their input on the middle name and you never know, you might love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Oh I agree. I think my sister maybe had a very mild case when little. I just think since it wasn't on my radar at all until more recent years (and it was AFTER I started working what I do now), that it's probably not on the average person's radar unless their child has it or someone they know does.

But I also don't think that it's a general child thing...at least in my experience most kids I known don't have those issues or if they do it's very mild like my sister.

It's good to raise awareness....though I haven't seen this post on FB yet myself.
    Jennifer, I had to go looking and found one version. This one doesn't mention apraxia, but it's the same idea. It says:

With Halloween upon us, a lot of little people will be visiting your home. Be accepting.

-The child who is grabbing more than one piece of candy may have poor fine motor skills.

-The child who takes forever to pick out one piece of candy may have motor planning issues.

-The child who does not say trick-or-treat or thank you may be nonverbal.

-The child who looks disappointed when they see your bowl may have an allergy or is diabetic.

-The child who isn't wearing a costume at all may have a sensory issue (SPD) or autism.

Be nice. Be patient. It's everyone's Halloween.