Page 1454 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 454954135414041444145214531454145514561464 ... LastLast
Results 43,591 to 43,620 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

I think lizards are cute.
    We have alligator lizards all over the local parks and trails. They're a bit shy, but fun to spot. And at our house, when it gets damp outside, we have these:
    http://www.wildherps.com/species/B.attenuatus.html
    which are not lizards, but California Slender Salamanders. They look almost like little brown worms or tiny snakes because their legs are so teeny, but they're cute. Cute and fragile - they often sneak under things like a piece of wood outside that we might step on, and - squish. They also sometimes like to climb into Noe's sandbox, where they dry out and turn into little bits of salamander jerky. Poor little fellas. But it's fun to go out on a wet day, turn over leaves or stepping stones, and find one.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

I think most things are okay, as long as they're outside. I'll never forget the time I went on vacation in Mexico with my parents and those little lizards used to just chill out on the wall inside our little room where we stayed, and the giant bug I found when I tried to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. I decided I didn't have to go that bad.

The giant bugs - um, yeah. No thank you.

But our lizards hang all over the walls and doors. Somewhere I even have a picture of them hanging on the outside of the bathroom windows at night, eating the bugs that were attracted to the light. They're considered good luck in Mexico and Central America.

Gretchen, your salamanders are adorable! That's sad about them squishing and drying out, though. They wouldn't last a minute here.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I don't know, it's a snake with legs. Dogs are cute....kitties are cute.

Oh oh that cool that author lives so close.....other title sounds good. I'll have to check Monday if we have it. If not maybe i will buy it.

i grew up in a blue collar family so the whole concept interested me when I saw it on our shelving cart.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I have bad lizard memories. We used to have lizards inside the house, growing up. They usually hung out near the lights, because that's where the bugs would head. Then, every once in a while, one would lose its grip and plop down, and run off, leaving its wiggly tail. Cool, huh? Except, sometimes they'd fall on your head, and the same thing that lets them hang out upside down on the ceiling, also makes it impossible for them to get out of your hair while you're jumping up and down, and screaming. Also, did I mention that lizards poop while hanging upside down on the ceiling right over one's head?

A lizard is going to be our next creature. We're just deciding which kind and where to set 'em up.

All of you with your talk of "weather"! Man... Jennifer, you ought to come here, seriously. High 50s to low 70s is our year round normal! Occasionally we get a cold spell of down to 30, and occasionally a hot spell of up to 90, but 50 - 70s is pretty normal. I never realized I am so spoiled! As a result, anything below about 75 is sweater weather for me. L can tell you, I am cold blooded, and therefore assumed Maiya was, too. When we first started going outside in the winter, I'd have Maiya super bundled up (like me!). Now, I've realized Maiya is practically immune to cold. So while *I* am still bundled up, often she'll be in a short sleeved shirt and skirt and be totally fine! While I, in my heavy winter coat and scarf am FREEZING. I'm such a wimp. I like to say that my "ideal" temperature range is -4 degrees. Anything above 78 is too hot, anything below 82 is too cold.

But, we do spend a ton of time outside. Hours every day, easy, even though I'm a wimp!

Oh, L, I love dragon boat races! I used to race, it was so much fun. Ah, good memories! Glad you guys had so much fun.

Thank you, Suja! It's good to be back. I'm hoping now that my busy summer is over, maybe I'll have a bit of normalcy again, and be a bit more active. One can hope! I seriously don't know how those with more than one kid can handle it. I have just 1, and not enough time!!

I'm sorry no one wants to volunteer. That's a shame. Don't they realize that the ones they're hurting are their own kids?

I love lizards! I'm with Gretchen, we get Alligator Lizards a lot around here. And Blue Bellies. When I was a kid, we used to hunt them. We'd either catch and release, or catch and keep for a while- usually just a few hours. We kept one too long once, and it died, and we were traumatized forever!

When we were in Hawaii, the geckos were EVERYWHERE. We got a huge kick out of them. Maiya is FASCINATED with the food chain right now, and watching the geckos hunt- and eat- was simply amazing to her. Especially since, once, we got to watch a gecko catch a moth. Then, as he was hanging out on the fence letting his food digest, a bird came and ate him! Nothing teaches like real life.

Thank you Christina! Probably my last try. Luckily, I think I'm ready to be happy with either outcome.

Oh, Gretchen! Poor little salamanders. I'm beginning to experience that. Our teeny tiny town home is really old. We have a really small back yard, with an even smaller plot of dirt for growing stuff. The stupid plot of dirt is as old as the house! It was completely lifeless and devoid of nutrition. Despite my best (admittedly, that's not saying much) efforts, we've had to replace the lawn THREE times in 5 years of living here because it dies. I finally relented and, instead of replacing all the dirt, just got a fake lawn. As you know, it's been hot here, and my backyard is so small that it's like a little oven. And unlike nice, cool, real grass, fake grass gets HOT. Within the first 48 hours, we had our first little salamander jerky. I'm so "excited" to see what other niceties weren't mentioned when we made the switch!

Speaking of giant bugs- it's almost that time of year when we'll hunt down the tarantulas! Maiya loves all animals, including spiders, and last year was so thrilled to have a wild tarantula crawling on her. This year, however, she is in preschool, and she is realizing that "spiders are yucky". Oh, how that hurts my heart to hear! I'm hoping that she will revert back to her true, all-animal-loving self when we go look for tarantulas. Why do I have in her preschool??? The things they teach her!

Suja, I'm sorry, that made me laugh! Lizards are cute, but with what you described, I would certainly not be a fan. Yuck!

Bridget, what all are you considering? My little animal lover desperately wants a fish, but I'm kind of thinking about getting something that's more interactive. I've always loved geckos, so maybe next year or so I'll try to talk her in to a gecko, rather than a fish. She loves them all, so it should be hard!

So Maiya has been officially put on the back burner in her speech class. The teacher tells me that she is SO SMART that it's really just a matter of time and practice to work out her issues. To be precise, the teacher has said that she has multiple phonetic processing disorders, which is why her speech can be so hard to understand, but most of them, except her fronting, should resolve on their own at a later age. So my homework is to work with her on the fronting- spefically the k and g- in a fun, casual way. Then we'll do a phone consult in a few months. Though she said that she will "keep her on her radar", I feel like it's pretty much just wait it out. Makes me a bit sad for her, since SO many people comment on her speech, or flat out don't understand her, including some would-be friends, but oh well. I mean, even her speech therapist couldn't understand a lot of what she says! But, I am proud to hear she's so smart.

Janet, was it a teacher or an SLP who told you that? If it was a teacher - I'd want the SLP's opinion. But what you are saying makes sense to me, mostly. Although I don't call anything a disorder if it is in the normal range of development. It's normal for kids to use phonological processes until certain ages, and then they fade out. I hope that is what she was trying to say. Fronting, by the way, is within normal limits until three years, six months but should be gone by then.

I THINK she is an SLP, but I'm not totally sure. This was through Kaiser. I only called her a teacher, because that is how Maiya references her! And the way she explained Maiya's issues to me was with a sheet with a big title of "Phonological Processing Disorders" across the top. She then pointed to about 6 different ones, saying "Maiya does this, but see here? This is the age that it's considered normal until". So, technically, she never said that Maiya has a disorder, just that she does these things.

Well, for fronting, Maiya has about 2 weeks until it's no longer normal, and it will certainly NOT be gone by then. Not even close! She's pretty bad at, well, basically every frontable sound. And look at me, making up my own vocabulary for this. I'm sure you can say it much better than I can!

PS- I realize I just referred to the disorders with two different words. Whoops. I'm new to all this, sorry!

Ugh, my husband is such a cranky butt tonight. He's working WAY too hard right now and I hate it. Tonight is the ONLY night we've seen him all week. And he's biting everyone's heads off. We'd talked about watching a movie together tonight, but instead, he snarked and growled and snapped and went to bed. At 9.

Money is good, but is it really worth this??

And yes, I'm all flooded with weird artificial hormones, so maybe I'm a bit too sensitive and whiney. Sorry for the vent!

Oh, she was through Kaiser. Definitely an SLP then. We can get a little cranky if you call us teachers (although my students sometimes are in the habit of calling any random adult "teacher" and I don't object to it from a 3-year-old, although I prefer they learn my name) but even more so those of us who work in a medical setting. In fact, I read a rather lengthy diatribe recently where the former ASHA President (ASHA is our professional organization) insisted on a full "Speech-Language Pathologist" in place of SLP or speech therapist or anything else, even in quick conversation. He said it was about professional respect. I thought he went a little far, but like I said, some people are touchy. And I was curious because most teachers know very little about speech-language development.

We have a LOT of jargon in our terminology. What Maiya is using is called phonological processes - but they only become a disorder if there are a bunch of them still present long past the age where they should have disappeared. I probably sound like I'm arguing about nothing but I just don't like her giving you the impression that there was something disordered about something that is within normal developmental limits. I agree the fronting isn't going away in two weeks - but just one lingering process isn't by itself evidence of a disorder, either. At least, per the guidelines I'm expected to use.

She gave you good advice, though.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 09-20-2013 at 10:53 PM.

This is a quote from a PhD/researcher in my field who has decades of experience in children's speech sound disorders:

Phonological processing disorder! Oh no!

There are two terms that are not included in the list of synonyms. They are ‘phonological processing disorder’ and ‘phonological processes disorder’.

Despite their wide usage, these incorrect (and misleading) terms are not synonyms for developmental phonological disorder. Neither are they names for closely related speech sound disorders.

They are ‘made up’ terms that have somehow crept into listservs and discussions. Even SLPs/SLTs sometimes use them!
    http://www.speech-language-therapy.c...min&Itemid=101

Well, Maiya definitely knows her name! It's just when we talk to other people: "We played a game today, me and K. She's my speech teacher." BUT, I will remember that she is not a teacher! Didn't mean to offend. I'm afraid that "speech language pathologist" would come out as "peet dadage tatolodist". Not sure that would help her friends to understand any better, hah.

And thanks! Glad to know that I'm on the right course. I trust your professional opinion! She definitely told me that it's within normal developmental limits, it was just the piece of paper. She told me many times that she's fine. So, maybe it's just me being paranoid! Guess I'm one of THOSE moms. It just makes her sad, so it makes me sad.

Thanks for your feedback!
    Last edited by Krystal5; 09-20-2013 at 11:03 PM.

LOL! I've never even attempted to get a preschooler to call me a "speech-language pathologist." Like I said, I'm happy if I get my name.

I did used to get really annoyed at a coworker who would go out of her way to introduce me as a "Speech and Language Therapist." It bugged me because there are different levels of licensing here and the one I hold (SLP) means I am fully licensed. Speech-Language Technician (abbreviated SLT) is a partial license and there is no such thing as Speech and Language Therapist. And S was very careful to over-pronounce that every.single.time she introduced me to a new family or random visiting professionals like psychologists and SLPs from outside agencies. If she hadn't been so formal, I honestly wouldn't have cared, but because she went out of her way to say it I felt like she was trying to emphasize that I wasn't fully certified. She meant nothing wrong by it, she just was totally confused, and honestly I can't fully blame her for that. The funny part is, in Britain the formal title is actually "Speech and Language Therapist" and they abbreviate it SALT. I wonder if she's been reading a lot of British research?

I'm totally going to have Mira say "speech language pathologist".

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    I'm totally going to have Mira say "speech language pathologist".
    I have no doubt at all she'll do it.

I'll have to ask her to say it and record it! Of course, then she won't do anything, because she won't perform on command. Ah well!

So, Suja, did Mira say it??

Gotta brag for a minute! Maiya's latest fascination is with the body, and bodies in general. I guess it's natural, since her obsession before that was doctors / vets, and it kind of goes hand in hand. She still likes regular stories, but for quite a while now, she'll often ask me for stories about blood cells and their adventures through out the body. Think of the movie "Osmosis Jones" for the type of stories I create!

We rented a few "body books" from the library, and borrowed an awesome one from L, and she LOVES them. They're some of her favorites to read. And she asks so many good, insightful questions, it really makes me proud. And of course, she likes me to point out everything on her body, too. It's great, I love it.

The problem comes when she wants to read it as her bedtime story, and it takes nearly 45 minutes to get through one book, and she spends the whole time really thinking instead of relaxing and calming down. Like what happened tonight. Oops!

Still a very happy Momma, though, even if I will regret it when she's over an hour short on sleep tomorrow, hah.

Aww how cute of Maiya! I would think that she's got to be at such a fun age. I think my DH will really like having a child that age where they are interested in learning and you can teach them things. And you are still cool and they want to be with you.

And Mandy, I totally feel ya on the title/degree thing. I have gotten many a comments about you need a degree to check books in and out. Um, yes not only a degree but we have a masters degree. And I do way more than check out books....I do some of that mostly because it's a small library and if I'm the only one there, I do it all. But I spend a lot more of my time doing collection development and research. I also don't really like my current title but that is a huge thing to change and I inherited the one I have. I would like to be Medical Librarian. Nice and simple. Maybe someday we can get that changed. At least my pay matches what I really do and that is what is important!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I asked her to say it, and she said 'That's a really tricky one'. We went over it, one word at a time, and then she said the whole thing correctly.

Janet, the Magic Schoolbus series has some books that deal with anatomy/physiology. Those would be A LOT shorter to get through at bedtime.

It is SO much fun!! I completely love it. And then there are times I don't, hahaha. It's not easy, but it's so fun and rewarding. You guys will love it!

Suja, she's so smart! I still haven't tried with Maiya.

Ah, I always loved the Magic Schoolbus! But it's not that these are long books. They're fairly short. If we read straight through, it would only take maybe 10 mins. The problem is how much she wants to know! I mean, for EVERY system, she wants me to trace the parts in the book, and then trace the corresponding parts on her. And explain in detail what each does and what the names are (what ARE the names of the bones in your butt, anyway?? I gotta google that!). I haven't taken an anatomy class since my EMT class, and that was 15 years ago! I do my best, and she is soaking it up.

I may have to make some restrictions, like only one question per page, or we need to go up to bed an hour early if she wants to read those books, or something.

Maybe you could limit it to one area/system at a time? I hate the idea of limiting questions, but if you did one page at a time, maybe that would end up being a typical bedtime read. Or you could set a timer and say we will spend X amount of time on this per night. Eventually she is going to learn about chapter books and just because you start a book doesn't mean you need to finish it before bedtime that same night (says the girl who was up until 1:45 reading last night).

I think it was another APA mama who posted the other day on FB about the ipad app about the human body - called The Human Body by Tinybop. It was free for the week (not sure if it still is). We got it and it's amazing - detailed, easy to understand, almost no words so no reading required. I don't know if you have an ipad or if that's something you want to interest Maiya in at this point, but it's really a cool app. You can put together the skeleton, see how nerve impulses work, etc.
    Unfortunately it was a little freaky for Noe at this point -- she's very interested in the body too, which is why we got the app to begin with, but she found the illustrations a little too much. She's extremely sensitive, though, and I think most kids would just find it fascinating.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Oh I like Mandy's idea that you don't have to FINISH the book that night. Maybe let her get a really cool and fun bookmark so that after the x amount of minutes, save the rest for the next night?

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I will have to check out this app. Sounds cool. My kids are incredibly engaged at bedtime, as well. Kai is not always interested in Savana' s story choice so he will peruse the bookshelf after I read his story and inevitably find something interesting. And I'm terrible because I can't break away either and suddenly it's an hour past bedtime.

"Chapters" is a good idea! She will hate it, though. But then again, she hates when I tell her we can't read it "just ONE more time!" anyway.

That sounds like a cool app. Unfortunately, we do not have an ipad, and it wasn't available on my phone. Maiya is incredibly (ridiculously, annoyingly) sensitive, too. But so far, inside the body doesn't seem to bother her. I think if the pictures were of injuries, she'd freak out, but just "x-rays" are fine for her. So far!

Yeah, Bridget, that's half my problem. I love it, too!

Posted this on my facebook, but sharing in here because I know L doesn't spend much time on the dark side. It's a story about the voice of Siri and part of it talks about how vowel sounds are changed by the consonants around them (as per our pirate discussion). Anyway, it's very cool and reminded me of my acoustics professor whose big interest is synthesized speech. What my prof is researching is the next big step beyond what they are doing now (but of course, his hasn't got off the ground yet so he isn't raking in the bucks).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu-tIqnUUX8

Oh, that's fascinating! How cool.

I admit I was also thrilled to see all the old technology. Speak and Say! MacIntosh! Atari!! Oh, blasts from the past.

I know, right? Hearing all those old computer voices really reminds you how far they have come.

Thanks for the app recommendation, Gretchen. I put it on the iPad, for our trip. Figured I'll check it out when we're on the flight, or during the long layovers.

I've had to put some limits on our reading as well, and I hate it too. But, if allowed, Mira will stay up as long as I'm willing to read to her (and we're talking dozens of stories), so I usually start with 'Tonight, we do only one book', and she'll bargain for more. Mostly, we settle on reading 2 stories, and me telling her a made up one. We had guests over on Saturday, and she didn't go to bed until midnight. Still wanted her books and stories.
    Last edited by Suja; 09-24-2013 at 10:15 AM.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I've been sick almost all week, and I've got work hanging over my head. I'm late for my evaluation, and keep thinking I can work on it at home. I should be doing it now. :-(

There is a boy who sits next to DD in her class who has been asking her to sit on his hand and sit on his face and who has been crawling around behind her in her seat so he can get up close to her and stare at her rear end, and he squeezes in really close to her and says he's scooting over to make room for his imaginary friend on the other side of her. DD had no idea what the implications were of him asking her to sit on his face. So I had to have a talk with her about how that would put her private parts on his face, and sitting on his hand would also put her private parts in contact with him, and maybe he didn't know what he was asking and maybe he did, but it was a good thing she said no. We talked about it and agreed that if he did it again she would tell him to stop talking like that/doing that and if he did not stop she was going to tell the teacher. If that didn't work or if she wasn't satisfied with the results, she was to tell me again.

Fast forward two weeks and I asked how the behavior was. Worse. She never told the teacher. She never even threatened to. She told me she was giving him two more chances to behave. Even though he was doing it five times a day. So I wrote the teacher a note today. The boy has had a discussion about not touching private areas and has been moved to an area closer to the teacher with more space around him.

Last year DD had some instances where someone was hitting her and someone was kissing her (two separate boys, on multiple occasions), and she never brought it up to me. DS told me about it. She'll go on for an hour about two friends that are having an argument, but this sort of thing she doesn't mention. I'm so glad I have two kids in the same class. It is very handy having another perspective. But it also reminds me just to periodically check in and say, "Who are your favorite friends? Who are your least favorite classmates? What kinds of things do people do that bother you, and how do you deal with it? What games do you play?" Things like that.