Page 1453 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 453 953 1353 1403 144314511452145314541455 1463 ... LastLast
Results 43,561 to 43,590 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Well - didn't work. But anyway, Janet, good luck with you IUI. On Milwaukee, I think it is good they are considering a different alternative in regards to measuring performance. Letter grades really aren't the whole picture so to speak and in regards to scoring. I am still communicating and doing campus visits to see about getting an MBA and actually Univ of Wisconsin at Madison would be my first choice due to them having a great Supply Chain program, but I would be hesitant in moving to WI period because they have a horrible achievement gap in that state, especially in Madison when it comes to standardized testing scores for ethnic background and I would be afraid that they would take my kid and see he looks a certain way and think he can't do what other kids can do. I guess I hang around too many "high expectation" educational folks. Mandy asked once about the Ron Clark Academy and he assists our principal at our school and we have the KIPP network here in Atlanta and they take kids who are underperforming and even some with mild behavioral and learning disabilities and make those kids pass 100% or close to it on all standardized testing so I would think that in Milwaukee they have a poor educational culture and I thought the same thing about Madison due to their horrible achievement gap, that they have a culture of expecting black children especially to fail and so I really wouldn't trust sending my kids to their schools even though they also rate well on grade cards and standardized testing. I do think there is a family component as well, but I think because Ky's school is one of the top 5 elementary schools in our area and we have a high amount of...I'll call them uninvolved parents, yet those children still are "proficient" when it comes to the NWEA testing on which Common Core is based within one school year. Our teachers put in a lot of work and many of them are special ed certified for those that need it and ones who underperformed are required to attend a free after school program where homework completion is performed and additional academics. Other than the writing assessment last year, Ky's 5th grade class performed the best of any public school in the Atlanta area, which is something because that includes schools in "money" areas (money in quotes to mean that these are legacy wealthy families in very exclusive areas of the city). I hope they do turn in around in Milwaukee. The new scoring will probably help them figure out who needs help better than As or Fs will since many students who are proficient in certain areas may just not complete homework or something trivial and will get a C or D because of that.

Thank you all! The work is done. Now (other than twice daily vaginal progesterone suppositories) we just wait. I need some distractions!!

Jennifer, a new letter is very exciting. Hopefully you will see the results of all your hard work soon! I totally understand about hubby not wanting something like you do. For us, my husband may want something, but he would never put in the effort to make it happen. Just doesn't like change, so doesn't MAKE it happen. I almost broke up with him because he never bothered to propose! Since we can't get pregnant the old fashioned way, if it were up to him, we would never have kids. He loves Maiya dearly, though, and is glad I made it happen. I'm sure yours will be the same way!

Bridget, UGH, the headaches are horrible. And other than just normal lousy feelings and exhaustion from fighting mild colds or the occasional allergies, I generally don't have any ailments. These headaches- maybe they're migraines?- are totally out of my league. I'm so sorry you have to deal with them!!

And yes, I dread the cold weather, too. Luckily, it never really gets cold here, but things still shut down for the winter. Most of our normal haunts will either be closed or weekend only, and I dread it! We're not meant to spend all day inside.

L, we miss you, too! Funny story... Remember I told you that where we camped is close to where I went to out door school? Well, my brother was a counselor there for years. He was here last week for our cousin's wedding, and one thing he wanted to do was go back to his old out door school. Since he couldn't get in to the actual group camping area, they went to the exact same campground, and the exact same area of the creek. I couldn't go, because I had yet another ultrasound, but they tell me that the pirate ship is gone. They had fun and Maiya was so proud to show off that she "knew" the area!

She, of course, is always talking about you guys. She knows Halloween is coming up and remembers going trick or treating with you all, so we've been talking about you even more! Plus, I need to get your book back to you. She LOVES it, by the way. So thank you!

That is SO scary... I hate the way our community is going. The crime isn't that far away from here, either. Ugh. I'm so sorry you are having to deal with that! Part of why I'm trying to convince hubby to move us away from here. I'm sure it will never happen, but still. Stay as safe as you can.

Hmm... I remember always having letter grades in elementary school. It was "E" instead of "A", and then... G, S, N, F?

Hope your foot continues feeling better!

Erin, what is going on with your formatting? I understand, that would drive me nuts, too! What do you use? Technology, can't live with it, can't live without it!

Are we married to the same man? LOL Mine does NOT like change. Pretty much any change is my idea. Well he did propose after two years but we had talked about it before. And I had to agree that once I got my ring, I was supposed to talk about a wedding for at least six months. LOL We were young and still in college so I agreed to that. Took me YEARS to get a house...which he hopes to live in forever now.
    He is just not a risk take (except he likes to gamble a bit) and the idea of a kid scares the crud out of him. The idea that he might not be good enough and that if he doesn't like it, you can't give the kid back like a puppy. Nevermind that I was the one who regretted Molly at first and wanted to rehome her the first few days and he was like no way, once in our house, she's one of us.
    God even a bit of redecorating is like pulling teeth with him.

Your grade school letter grades almost look like music notes...E, G, B, D, F LOL

Yeah I am the crazy one who is looking forward to the cool weather. We have had frost advisories already! I love it...no air on, no heat on yet, during the day I can get windows open..... Makes me want to make soups, chili, roasts, apple pie....I LOVE the fall. I can dig out my fleece jackets and wear jeans again and pretty soon my long sleeves.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I love fall and winter too, but I'm not as crazy as you, Jennifer, as it doesn't get nearly as cold here. We don't get snow - just hard frost and a bit of ice in winter. But I love cooler weather, rain, fog, sweaters and boots. I've never been a big fan of summer, heat and long days - I get really drained and stressed by the time September rolls around. But it's been worse the last 5 years, since we moved to a house without a/c. I'm so sick of being sweaty, putting fans on, searching for a breeze. Can't wait for the rain, the hot soup, the homemade bread, and wool socks.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

It's a nice fantasy - fall. It's still in the high 90s here. I'm trying to remember when it usually starts to cool down (meaning mid 80's or below) and I think it must not be until late October or even early November. Sometimes I think I am crazy for staying here so long - but I do like the desert in its own odd way.

I do love wearing sweaters, though. And drinking hot chocolate. But I don't like being cold-cold. Just cool enough to put a sweater on and cuddle up.

I just asked a coworker, "When is summer over here, again?" And she rolled her eyes and said Thanksgiving.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

It needs to be like below 32 for a sweater! LOL. Really I need to be having my heat on for that. Sweaters are for winter....fall is 3/4 sleeves or thin long sleeves....unless you are hanging around outside.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

It's only you people who live in inhospitable places who don't hang around outside. I have spent pretty much all of my waking hours outside lately, except for when I'm at work. I do not like shorter days or cold weather, though. I'd rather be hot than cold, although perfect is just perfect. Fall just makes me gloomy and dread the approach of winter.

DH was really sick over the weekend and trying to hibernate to get ready for this big meeting in Toronto, so I took all the kids out of the house. I was going to take them over the new Bay Bridge onto Treasure Island for a little scooter practice, and then I got on there and saw crowds and crowds of people and then rides and festivities. It turned out it was the setting for a gigantic Dragon Boat festival that I knew nothing about. So we ended up staying there for about 6 or 7 hours. I only lost one kid for a little while. They went on rides and did math (there was a math pavilion) and made about 4 huge bags of crafts and watched dancers and dragon boat racers and got balloons and went on more rides and we ate lunch on a piece of shade and I got really hot because I'd worn a long-sleeved shirt. Unexpected fair! DH was very grateful that I was gone all day. As for me, I was worn out and got no chores done as usual, but the kids were so happy that we did that all day.

I actually stopped in here briefly to post this link for a board game that looks interesting. I ordered one. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...tle-programmer. The cool thing is that kids of different ages can play at different levels, so I think all of my kids can play together (unlike most of their board games). Here is an NPR article about it: http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechcons...rs-how-to-code. And now I have to run pick up the twins from school.

The dragon boat festival sounds like a lot of fun!

By the way, Happy Talk Like a Pirate Day, everyone. Arrr.

come to think of it, I spend very little time outside. A few minutes a day with the dogs. Going to my car and waiting for the shuttle bus at work. When we have company sometimes we sit out on the porch but the weather has to be good....if it's humid it gets too buggy. In the summer as little time as possible outside messing with my garden. In the winter it's almost more time if we have a lot of shoveling to do.

Or when we are on vacation we spend time outside. Walking around and going places or at sporting events. Why I try to plan my vacations around good weather. I like upper 50's to lower 70's.

It's a good thing I love my house because we really do spend a LOT of time in there! LOL

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I hate the fall-winter here. There aren't really any seasons here, just "kinda cool and rainy" and "bitter cold." I miss the seasons in Arkansas. We hope to be flying over next August. We'll probably melt in the heat!

I also spend very little time outside. I try to take advantage of that brief time of year when we have lovely cool weather to enjoy the outdoors, but in the summer, especially when I'm off work, I stay indoors as much as possible. In fact I tend to be nocturnal when school isn't in session.

Of course, many of our buildings are built along a central courtyard so I am technically outdoors when I wander the campus during the day, and of course driving from school to school as I am doing now. I actually really love not being in an office all day. But I do go inside as soon as I get where I'm going.

Super cool game, L! Thanks for sharing.

Winter is the only time we don't spend the bulk of our day outside.

Janet! Good to have you back! Keeping fingers crossed for a happy outcome for you.

L, sounds like an amazing time! I wish we had stuff like that around here.

I'm just too tired at the end of the day to do much talking. With a total of 21 kids in class, we still can't get anyone else to be the room parent. Started planning for fall festival. The classroom theme is going to be Enchanted Garden. We're starting the arm twisting now, so we don't have to do last minute scrambling like we did last time. No one wants to stay until 7:30 or 8:00, just to set everything up, and then volunteer in the classroom all day long the following day as well.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post

By the way, Happy Talk Like a Pirate Day, everyone. Arrr.
    I have to dust off my favorite pirate jokes now.

How do pirates know they are pirates?
    They think, therefore they ARRR.

What is a pirate's favorite kind of movie?
    Anything that's rated ARRR.

How does a pirate find the area of a circle?
    Pi ARRR squared!

A pirate walks into a bar with a steering wheel between his legs. The bartender looks up and says, "Why do you have a steering wheel between your legs?"
    "Yaarr, I don't know. . . but it be drivin' me nuts!"

What's a pirate's favorite consonant?
    ARRR!

What's a pirate's favorite vowel?
    AAAAARR!

Since when did vowels become consonants?
    Because they AAAAAARRRRR!

What's a pirate's favorite pattern?
    ARRRgyle.

L, if your pirate is confused about whether AAARRR is a consonant or a vowel, this might help. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-colored_vowel

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    L, if your pirate is confused about whether AAARRR is a consonant or a vowel, this might help. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-colored_vowel
    Wow, did you listen to the sound clip of that? It made my kids crack up. I still don't completely understand the definition of an R-colored vowel, since the article just gave examples of words with vowels followed by the letter R, and it didn't explain why that vowel was so unique, say, compared to vowels followed by other consonants, but the sound was fantastic. It completely went along with the classic, "Durrrrh?" to signify complete incomprehension of life, the universe, and everything.

In fact, maybe I should summarize my experience of that Wikipedia article with my own R-colored vowel: http://www.soundboard.com/search.aspx?keyword=durrr

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    Wow, did you listen to the sound clip of that? It made my kids crack up. I still don't completely understand the definition of an R-colored vowel, since the article just gave examples of words with vowels followed by the letter R, and it didn't explain why that vowel was so unique, say, compared to vowels followed by other consonants, but the sound was fantastic. It completely went along with the classic, "Durrrrh?" to signify complete incomprehension of life, the universe, and everything.
    LOL! Okay, what you said at the end ... That's the explanation for the part at the beginning.

Or, let me explain another way. Sing "attttttttttt." Can't do it. When you make a T you stop the airflow. You can sing aaaaaaaaat, but not atttttttt. But you can sing arrrrrrr. R and L behave differently than other consonants, and they bleed into the sound of the vowels before them.

Or you can go with the phoneticist's explanation of "dropping the third formant." Which I do understand, but PLEASE don't ask me to explain. It has to do with physics.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 09-19-2013 at 10:03 PM.

Another way to look at it would be to imagine someone with a fancy British accent saying the same words. They don't drop the third formant - and don't use the vocalic R. When I studied singing they called it the American R and told us it was evil and never to sing it. Ever.

Okay, does this make it clearer? A special pirate day explanation of arr-colored vowels, specially for landlubbers. This is what happens when phoneticists get excited. http://literalminded.wordpress.com/2...olored-vowels/

I understood your explanation better, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    I understood your explanation better, actually.
    LOL! It does prove I'm not the only crazy one, though.

Loved the pirate jokes!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Jennifer, did you get a storm last night? I thought of you because we had frogs climbing the windows outside and then when I got up to go to bed, there was a green frog in my hallway! Lol

LOL We actually haven't had hardly any frogs this year on the house. Really probably July and Aug it pretty much never rained and was super dry. I would not be happy if there was one in my hallway!

This year it's been all about the grasshoppers. Tons of those in the yard. Molly likes to chance them but one jump and she loses them. My girls are NOT hunters. At least not good ones. LOL

I don't think it stormed last night but we did have some roll through yesterday afternoon. Usually Molly gets scared and wakes me up if it's loud storms outside.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I've seen tons of grasshoppers at work this year! Never seen so many here. And lizards everywhere, too. They are so cute.

I was flipping through this book this week....looks interesting http://www.amazon.com/Price-Privileg...e+of+privilege

and I don't know about lizards being cute!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Hope all is well ladies!!

I see baby making is in the works?!??! Keeping my Janet!

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I was flipping through this book this week....looks interesting http://www.amazon.com/Price-Privileg...e+of+privilege

I'm pretty sure I've met that author. The name looked familiar, and then I saw that she lives around here.

Lizards are really cute. One of the parks we go to has a whole bunch of logs that are a perfect home for lizards. If we are really quiet, we can see dozens of lizards. 90% of them are cute. There's always one ugly one, though. We call him Larry the Lame Lizard.

Okay, I'm just kidding about the ugly lizard. They're all cute. I just went way too long without eating today and now I'm on my lunch break. Right when I'm supposed to be clocking out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post

That is a very good book. The author does live around here and she's great. Her work has been featured in some local newspapers. I read a great interview with her, which i think perhaps I excerpted here or in another room on APA, about the fact that modern parents are terrified of having children who are average. Thought-provoking stuff.
    This other book of hers also has been recommended to me. I'm on the waiting list for it at the library, though I may just break down and buy it.

Teach Your Children Well: Why Values and Coping Skills Matter More Than Grades, Trophies, or "Fat Envelopes" by PhD Levine Madeline
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

That's an interesting book. My sister sent her kids to a $40,000 per year private school (on scholarship) and these are their peers. I seriously wonder if this is really working in their favor, or if it will come back to haunt them later. I just question the priorities they are unconsciously getting through the emphasis on money and always getting the highest grades. Nothing wrong with either, but I don't think you need to be at the top of the heap all the time to be happy in life.

And seriously, how is this not cute? They scamper all over the place and hang from the screen door. They are adorable.