Page 1438 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 438938133813881428143614371438143914401448 ... LastLast
Results 43,111 to 43,140 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

I'm glad you guys are there to help her out.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I don't have dental right now (at least I am pretty sure I won't until the beginning of the year again). I found a remedy over the weekend that is supposed to dry it out, so far it seems to be helping. Antifungal/hydrocortisone cream is next. I just happened to have the stuff that the remedy called for at the house (its a water, salt, white vinegar mixture and peroxide). It is a little better after applying it for a couple days. I haven't been able to bit into a sandwich without pain for months. Such a silly thing.

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

I hope it works Christina.

I gave up dental when I realized there was a 1500 lifetime cap. wtf? I'll make payments!

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Our dental has pretty awful coverage, but I think it was only like $5/paycheck for the both of us. So, I can't complain

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post

I gave up dental when I realized there was a 1500 lifetime cap. wtf? I'll make payments!
    A lifetime? That sounds more like a yearly cap....I don't know what ours is.

The one I don't carry is vision. Eye exams are included yearly under health. And the little that goes to glasses....yeah I will just pay out of pocket on that. I don't get new ones every year anymore. And DH doesn't need any yet.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post

Who does that? Our yearly cap is something like that. We offer Delta, which has an excellent plan, and of course, everyone makes use of it, except me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    A lifetime? That sounds more like a yearly cap....I don't know what ours is.

The one I don't carry is vision. Eye exams are included yearly under health. And the little that goes to glasses....yeah I will just pay out of pocket on that. I don't get new ones every year anymore. And DH doesn't need any yet.
    It's definitely lifetime. It's per person, but seriously? Dental work is often so expensive, that could be 1 procedure! Why pay $40/month with a cap like that? I dropped it. What it didn't cover was exponentially greater than what it did cover. I think cleanings were only 60%. The more I looked at it, the less sense it made to pay for it. Especially when there are dentists in my area that do take payment plans.

I have Delta too. That is crazy. I just checked ours and the 1500 cap is per year. orthodontia is capped at 1500 for lifetime for under age 19. So for the two of us it's about 400 a year for the insurance. I get cleanings...including the x-rays and flouride every 6 months. They even do this thing around the gums with a laser to help prevent bacteria. DH goes I think every 4 months because of needing it from not going for years when younger. He also had had cavities filled and just found out he's in need of a crown (no root canal though) later this year most likely. That will cost us some being that is covered at 50% and he might be close to the max for the year.

Definitely worth it for us.
    Last edited by Cosmosmom; 07-29-2013 at 02:53 PM.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I have Delta, too, and mine is like Jennifer's. $1500 lifetime for orthodontia, and $1500 yearly for dental.

I'm pretty frustrated by the changes to our plan this year. We have a deductible,,which we never had before. I've never been charged a penny for lab work but now I'll have to pay out of pocket until the deductible is met. Also, surgery is now a percentage rather than a co-pay. When G had her cancer surgery a couple of years ago, she was only charged a $75 copay. Now, the same procedure is 10% of the total, which for a cancer surgery could be thousands. That's a pretty drastic change. And the premiums are more expensive. I know a lot of people are upset about it.

So, back to work today. The big news is they haven't hired anyone to replace me in my former position. There's no one there. But they won't let me do the job. Fabulous. G asked me if I'd sub - I told her do my old job and the new one at the same time, just because they didn't want me to do the old one? No, thank you. The wanted me out, I'm out. Otherwise, bring me back.

I don't know if anyone remembers me ranting that I have to wait three days before having a meeting to determine which kids will be on my caseload. That's almost the whole first week, which is the only prep time I will have all year, completely down the drain. I emailed my lead about it in June and she said she would get some answers for me, because I couldn't be expected to sit around with nothing to do. No surprise, nothing came of it. I have two kids so far that were assigned to me over the summer. Two kids. Ugh.

That's so lame that you just get stuck wasting all that time! That's got to be beyond frustrating. You said there was another person that doesn't start until like, Thursday, or something. Right? So you pretty much don't know anything until then?

Yup. I pretty much have to wait until Thursday. And completely lose three valuable planning days that I won't have again for the rest of the year after this week is over.

The people in charge shouldn't be allowed to make decisions. This is a perfect example of why.

Mandy, I love your new sig image!

Thanks.

Will try to catch up a bit after our exchange student leaves, but for now, had to pop in and say Happy Birthday to our big boy! Mandy, he's growing so much... One day he'll outgrow his puppy antics, and you'll look back and miss these days, heh. Love your siggie, handsome little man.

Quote Originally Posted by Krystal5 View Post
    Will try to catch up a bit after our exchange student leaves, but for now, had to pop in and say Happy Birthday to our big boy! Mandy, he's growing so much... One day he'll outgrow his puppy antics, and you'll look back and miss these days, heh. Love your siggie, handsome little man.
    I'm sure someday he will be a sedate, levelheaded beast. In about 10 years. And I'll wax nostalgic.

Thanks for the birthday wishes! Can't wait to hear about your exchange student experience!

Happy birthday, Marcus!

Quote Originally Posted by EllyD14 View Post
    Mandy, I love your new sig image!
    Me too

The only thing I *like* about our dental coverage is you get two basic cleanings a year for free, which was the biggest reason I want it - even though I haven't used it since starting here. My last quote at the dentist was almost $500 for an extensive cleaning (which doesn't include the $100/per filling that I need) and they refuse to touch my teeth until I do that - which I can't afford. Pregnancy just makes my teeth/gums worse too. Sigh. Teeth work was on our list this year, but the new baby set that back.

Our insurance at work is a joke and unless we have insurance elsewhere we are required to have it It's $60/visit to go to the doctor. We are responsible for all lab work/testing/procedures (except 10%) up to $3000/year.

I cannot believe he's only a year old myself. For some reason I thought he was much closer in age to Molly....whose going to be 2 in Sept.
    My dogs drove me crazy the first year. Once they get more like a 1.5 yrs they start to get a lot better. In the second dog class we did, most of the big dogs were in the teen years...over a year but less than two. Hopefully you see a lot of improvement over the next year and it doesn't take him until he's 10.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Christina, that sounds awful! We offer a very good PPO with no referrals. I'd like to think it's all altruism, but it isn't. We are on the exact same plan as all the employees, so it's in our best interest to choose something we can live with.

So, Mira's attitude has taken a pretty severe turn South, and I've resorted to stuff I never thought I would. A fairy. Yesterday, she woke up, and found that all her shorts and T-s were gone. Except for one pair, that was left out for her to wear (she gives major, major, major trouble about wearing shorts, and on the day she has her TKD, I really cannot have her wear a dress). She dressed in it today, in the hopes that the fairy will return some of her clothes. She lost some of her poofy clothes yesterday, but hasn't discovered that, yet.

She had lost pretty much all her toys at one point, due to a massive tantrum, and I discovered since that when she has a few things, she plays with them a lot more, explores what can be done more deeply, so now, if I take one bin down, whatever was down goes up. There are a few things that stay down all the time - art supplies, play-doh, blocks, puzzles, but that's pretty much it.

Yeah it stinks. When I first started here we had an HMO, with a lower premium than what we have now, and it was pretty awesome. Co-pay was between $20-40 at the doctors office and that was pretty much it. My co-worker had her LO under the HMO plan, cost her her office co-pays, and $100 for delivery. If I was under our plan for this pregnancy we would be looking at more like $5,000

You would think given where I work I would have awesome insurance but not really. I think my deductible is 4800...we have been trying the HSA for the past two years. Other options the deductible is still like 2K plus 10 or 20% of visits or something like that. There are other costs but I don't really recall them off them top of my head. But yeah at this point, it's almost going to be cheaper I think for me to adopt than give birth once the tax credits and the 5K adoption assistance from work is factored in.

Suja that makes sense about the toys. Kind of the same reasoning why we rotate the dogs toys and DH keeps me down to one basket of them. DH was just talking about how he plans on being strict with toys...doesn't want a bunch of them that need batteries and doesn't want them to take over the house. Really we don't have too many people who would be buying them anyway...his mom is going to be tighter on money, my parents will do some but I can give mom ideas about what we want (higher quality, more educational, more old-fashioned toys....puzzles, books, wooden blocks, dolls that don't things, American Girl stuff, Legos.....). My sister might have been bad but if we have babies at the same time, she's not going to be buying for me and our parents will be buying for her too so less for me.
    My DH is pretty stubborn once he decides something and I don't seem him caving on this one....me, yeah I'm a softie and I'm the one now who comes home with new toys for the dogs.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

One of the worst options for health insurance I ever had through an employer was when I worked for United Health Services. They're huge in this area, they have a number of hospitals and 100s of clinics. Their health insurance option was barely better than Walmart's. At least they paid better. Slightly. I worked as an admin assist and even with 10+ years experience in the field, I didn't break $10/hour. They're cheap. But, they're not inept like Guthrie/Robert Packer so I prefer to go there as a patient.

Well maybe the inept one will be going out of business in the future? Definitely take the time to fill out any surveys you get from them. CMS has started (or will be starting soon) to base their payment numbers on customer satisfaction AND outcomes. An example would be a hospital that has a lot of readmissions, will not get back much money from medicare. It's nice to see a push to pay for quality and not quantity. Much less unnecessary tests and duplicate tests. Plus places that are mediocre are going to have to step it up.
    I am lucky there....the system I am with has pretty good numbers and quality.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Suja, I also meant to mention earlier, I think what you are doing with Mira is ok - if it works it works - you know?

Our local hospitals are pretty - awful. There is a good doctor or two in the bunch and if your lucky to get one of those than you'll be OK, otherwise they really could care less and treat anybody who walks into the E.R. like an idiot.

All this talk of insurance makes me realize that I would not have a clue how to run my everyday life in the USA! Healthcare and dental care here can be hit and miss, but overall I've been happywith all the care iI've ever received. And no paperwork as well is a bonus!

I'll have to dash now-we're off to karate, bit I'll post more later about today's playdate and other sstuff!

Sorry about all the typos in my previous post! I was typing from my phone and that thang has a mind of its own!

We had a play date today with the two boys whom Travis visited a few weeks ago. Overall, it went really, really well. I think we are becoming good friends with their parents, which is really nice. We all know how hard it is to make friends as adults. The mom has been worried about her older boy He's 5.5) and I could see why today. She thinks he might be autistic. I'm not sure but he does have something about him that is not like other kids. When he came in the house, he had to open every door in the house to ask what was there. Then he fixated with all the gadgets we had in the house. At one point all the boys were upstairs playing and I got the handheld vac out to vacuum up all the crumbs they'd left from dinner and the little boy came flying downstairs to watch me vacuum it all up. He asked me all sorts of questions about it. Also, he never played with the other boys. Every time I asked him if he'd like to join in he'd say no and continue playing by himself. It wasn't only that as I know some kids do just like to play more on their own, but it was how he spoke and the types of questions that he asked and the responses he gave that made you think that he just didn't seem to be like the majority of kids are.

Any how, that reminds me that I need to order that book about autism that someone on here suggested (I think in NM/MIG) about 10 things you should know about autism since I have little experience having much to do with autistic kids and I'm sure I'll have to be doing IEPs and things like that shortly once I'm a proper teacher.

Our insurance is pretty good compared to some others I've read about. For medical it is a PPO (not that I really even know what that means) and for example: Maternity care is covered 90% total. I had to pay one co-pay for my first prenatal appointment (which was $20) then all the following appointments don't have a co-pay. My estimate for delivery out of pocket is $240 but I'm not sure what all that covers and what it doesn't cover. Either way, 10% is not that bad (and I don't have to meet my deductible beforehand either which is nice considering I still have about $480 left to meet for the year for me).

I am not sure about my dental but I have the basic plan that covers twice a year cleanings for free and I think a $1000 or $1500 max. I have never used that much dental in my life much less a year. I got my first cavity last year and haven't had another one. I think I pay 30% of what my dentist charges the insurance. If I end up getting more cavities I will change to the slightly more expensive dental plan when we add on baby #2 in December.
    Karen (28), DF (28), DD (3), DS (2 months)

Beanpop's Fluffy Butt Diapers *GRAND RE-OPENING 3/13*

Hi guys! I've been MIA for a while because I usually only come on here when I'm at work (I know, shame, shame) and we've been in the middle of a move. I unplugged my computer on the 19th in the old building and just got my internet back today in the new building.

My FIL is doing well, he spent a day or 2 in the hospital and that's it.

I'm very thankful to have excellent insurance. I pay nothing for mine and I pay 60% of the kid's monthly charges which is about $200 a month I think. I have no deductible, an out of pocket max of I think $2500 for the family, no copays for preventative care and $25 copays for all other visits. Most things are covered 100% and the rest are 80%.

I just saw an article this morning that said that Maine is the least religious state in the country. I had no idea. No wonder I don't feel totally out of place. Anyone want to move?
    http://www.pressherald.com/news/here...013-07-31.html
    AKA Lisa724