Page 1435 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 435935133513851425143314341435143614371445 ... LastLast
Results 43,021 to 43,050 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

I don't think lying to your doctor/playing around with meds you quite possibly don't need is all that smart. AT ALL. I didn't have any major side effects (hot flashes, mood swings, headaches, etc) but it also barely did anything to get me to ovulate (though it did give me Nolan, so I can't complain )

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Yesterday we found a mourning dove injured in our backyard. I was digging in the garden and almost threw a shovelful of dirt on it - it was just chilling out, but could only flutter, not fly. Luckily, we have a really good wildlife rehab center in our town so I called them up and they said to put it in a shoebox and bring it down. The girls were thrilled with that idea, of course. So I caught it while wearing my gardening gloves and we put it in a t-shirt in a shoebox and brought it down to the wildlife hospital. They said it looked like its tail had been "harried" by an animal or even just by itself if it got scared out of its nest at night. It's a young bird and not too experienced. They said they expect to use it as a "foster parent" to a nest of baby doves while it's healing. How sweet is that?
    We can call them tomorrow to see how it's doing. While we were there they asked dd1 if she was interested in volunteering there, which she answered very emphatically in the positive. They don't do volunteer orientations until January, so she'll be able to list it on her curriculum for spring.
    Oh, and Noe named it "Sunflower."
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

That is so sweet! Love that story.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I'm glad we were able to save it - the mourning doves are my favorite backyard birds. They are so gentle and make such pretty sounds. The hummingbirds are nice, too, and the sparrows and little brown birds, but we have crows and scrub jays who are such a nuisance. I like the jays except that they divebomb and scream at us whenever we're in the backyard in spring -- putting on a show to protect their babies, which I can understand, but hey! Don't build your nest in our backyard if you don't want people around it. One almost pecked me in the head this spring. And they eat our strawberries and cherry tomatoes. DH gets really annoyed by them.

So while we were at the wildlife hospital, the intake lady said that the dove was a sweet bird and I joked, "Yeah, my husband's probably going to say, 'Too bad it's not a crow or a scrub jay!'" The lady just looked at me, and then she said, "I started volunteering here after bringing in a nest of baby jays."
    Awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    I don't think lying to your doctor/playing around with meds you quite possibly don't need is all that smart. AT ALL. I didn't have any major side effects (hot flashes, mood swings, headaches, etc) but it also barely did anything to get me to ovulate (though it did give me Nolan, so I can't complain )

Clomid also gave me my DH. He was one of the first babies born because of it in Milwaukee...his mom tried for 7 yrs and got pg the first month on clomid. I guess all the nurses wanted to come and see "the clomid baby".

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I'm not much into birds myself but we have a lot of them because my neighbor has all sorts of feeders and houses. The one I do like are the kildeer. They nest on the ground and one did last summer in my front yard. So if we went outside, one of the parents would squawk and walk around holding it's wing funny. I guess that they pretend to be injured to lure you alway from their eggs. Funny part was it wasn't always the same wing so it wasn't fooling us! Sad part was something did get to the eggs before we got babies. Wasn't my dogs either because we didn't let them out front when the eggs were there.

Yeah my sister just turned 30. Her fiance is only 24 and has cycle issues and doesn't want to be pg. I would rather my sister do it anyway as they cannot get married in WI and my sister would have the legal rights. Plus I don't seem to be having a baby so that gives one biological to the family. I know that they talked to a couple of male friends of theirs but those guys didn't want to do it and thought they would want rights and be involved. So a sperm bank it would be....just seems easier legally. They both love kids and are mostly home.
    So I'm just really hoping that she gets a 2014 baby.....and once I turn in the new letter you all helped me with (once I get a picture done!)...maybe I will be bringing one home too in the next year.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Does Clomid up your chances for twins? I recall on apa a long time ago someone asking if it would be ok to ask her Dr for some fertility drug so she could have a better chance at twins. I thought it was Clomid but I could be wrong. It was a resounding hells no! in case anyone is wondering.

Love the dove story! We recently learned that doves actually feed their babies a milk like substance from their mouths. Thank you Wild Kratts!

It does Bridget. Especially if you already ovulate on your own. I do and was told that it would increase my risk of multiples...still in my case it was only like 10% for a pregnancy to occur that cycle and even smaller chance of multiples...I forgot exactly what. Since my cycles were also done with ultrasounds, I know that I had 3 mature follicles on it. Had that all worked, I would have been a triplet mom. I actually had to sign paperwork stating that I had discussed multiples and those risks with my provider. Had there been any more mature follicles than the three, we wouldn't have done a trigger shot.

But anyway the person in question cannot just go into the RE and walk out with a script for clomid. They will definitely do some testing and that takes a cycle or two to get all that in.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

My first cycle on Clomid I had three eggs, and the doctor told me there was about a 10% chance of a triplet pregnancy if I had been pregnant. It definitely increases the risk of multiples. Katrina's triplets were Clomid triplets. I PM'd her about it after that conversation with my RE and she said she is on a multiples board and knows a LOT of Clomid multiples. It's one of the reasons my doctor doesn't want me to do injects. Since I respond well to Clomid but haven't had a successful pregnancy, he feels stronger drugs would just unnecessarily increase my risk of multiples without significantly increasing my chance of pregnancy. IVF they can control because they only put so many embryos back in.

I saw a set of triplets at work recently with a single mother, no dad on the birth certificate. I wanted so badly to ask if she had done fertility treatments but figured it wasn't any of my business. Really nice mom. She was our last meeting of the year and brought us coffee and donuts for the last meeting. I guess she figured we were buddies after six meetings with us!

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    But anyway the person in question cannot just go into the RE and walk out with a script for clomid. They will definitely do some testing and that takes a cycle or two to get all that in.
    True, Jennifer. But I have heard some in the TTC room mention getting Clomid from their OB/GYN without thorough testing and no follow-up monitoring. It happens.

Mandy, even if he were, I'd guess I can't even begin to say anything, unless asked specifically about it. Maybe mom is too, based on what he has said about her childhood, and since she turned out sorta okay, I'd guess that she won't be particularly receptive to that idea anyway.

G, that's a cool about the bird. The only thing I've saved around here is a black racer, that had been caught in a net.

i can see that happening. But if the woman is actually going to an RE.

My mom used to go into homes and teach nutrition and food safety. Once it was a teen mom...and she had triplets naturally. Case of family said they would help so she didn't do an adoption plan....course once babies were here, no family was there to help her. She had to go to the hospital during a visit and my mom was left with the babies and was like, I don't know what to do with three babies! My mom had two of us but we are almost 5 years apart.

Why would you want to do injects if there was a good response on clomid or femera? I never looked into as far as injects since I wasn't willing to take it that far. Do they think IVF would increase chances of a sticky?

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Totally random, but I thought some folks here would enjoy this: http://www.buzzfeed.com/harpercollin...ens-books-9npd

I intend to pick up a couple, based on that.
    Last edited by Suja; 07-23-2013 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Mandy, even if he were, I'd guess I can't even begin to say anything, unless asked specifically about it. Maybe mom is too, based on what he has said about her childhood, and since she turned out sorta okay, I'd guess that she won't be particularly receptive to that idea anyway.
    Of course. It's one thing and I've never seen the kid. I am just saying that would have me on alert to watching for other stuff. I wouldn't make any decisions just based on that. But I do think it's odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    i can see that happening. But if the woman is actually going to an RE.

My mom used to go into homes and teach nutrition and food safety. Once it was a teen mom...and she had triplets naturally. Case of family said they would help so she didn't do an adoption plan....course once babies were here, no family was there to help her. She had to go to the hospital during a visit and my mom was left with the babies and was like, I don't know what to do with three babies! My mom had two of us but we are almost 5 years apart.

Why would you want to do injects if there was a good response on clomid or femera? I never looked into as far as injects since I wasn't willing to take it that far. Do they think IVF would increase chances of a sticky?
    Just in terms of being more agressive with treatment, since what we were trying wasn't working. He said if we did IVF I'd be on a boatload of progesterone so that would help with chances of a sticky. However, when I asked about progesterone testing he said it was invasive and he could just give me progesterone anyway so no point in testing for it. I don't know - he supposedly has really good "numbers" but I don't feel like he was really addressing my primary concern, which was the fact that none of my pregnancies stick. I've had three confirmed losses but I suspect at least three others, possibly more, that either never got a line on a test, or were from before I was TTC and was late with my period and looking back at my symptoms.

Awesome list! We just started Wildwood yesterday!

Totally random, but I thought some folks here would enjoy this: http://www.buzzfeed.com/harpercollin...ens-books-9npd

Some really good books on that list.

Uggg Mandy. I mean if he would do a boatload of progesterone for IVF...why not the IUI's. And progesterone is a blood test. Actually one of the ones I agreed to as I always thought that might be a problem for me since my LP tends to be short (and it was even short on clomid...which was the biggest reason I tried it was to get my cycle longer). They wouldn't do progesterone on me because the blood tests came back in the normal range. I don't remember....does he do a shared risk program?

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I have only read I think one book on that list....Charlotte Doyle but oh I loved that one!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

See, that is what I really don't understand. I know everyone on here does blood tests. He mentioned some sort of uterine biopsy for progesterone? I've never heard of anyone doing that. Very strange. I don't know if he is just super thorough or if he was trying to push me for more expensive treatments.

He does have a shared risk program, but it is still cash up front that I don't have.

This is what he was talking about: http://www.ivf.com/ebx.html

He said it was the only way to know for certain whether lining was contributing to my losses.

Some great books on that list, and some great first lines, though a few of them were kind of meh. I assume the books they came from must be very good for them to be included.

Mandy I think that most don't use the biopsy anymore for that. I want to say that I recall reading that it's currently not favored or reliable. What they do use it for dectecting uterine cancer. I can double check tomorrow at work because I think I remember where I read that. I hate to say it but it seems like it would have been easy enough to boost progesterone for the IUI if they would do it for IVF. It kind of does almost feel like extra stuff is being pushed to line someone's pockets.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Basically he said he would just give me the progesterone if I wanted it rather than test. But I was frustrated because I want to know if that's actually going to fix the problem, you know? I don't want to do it just because.

Do you all remember when I was talking about adoption recently and DH kept bringing up adopting from China?

One of my friends from facebook was a girl I grew up with (we were in school and Girl Scouts together) and she is now a law professor specializing in Chinese adoption law. Every year she takes a group of law students to China and posts a ton of pictures of her trip. It's always been touristy stuff, like pictures of the Great Wall of China, etc. This year she posted a bunch of pictures of a Chinese orphanage, including lots of shots of the kids playing. There was a nice-looking playground with equipment, etc. It could be any school playground here. It's kind of weirding me out. She's never posted anything like that before.

Hmmm...that's an interesting coincidence. Perhaps it would be worth just touching base with her? Asking questions can't hurt, right?

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

That is weird Mandy. It seems like your DH is drawn to the country. Might be worth talking to her about. Our friends from our adoption group adopted the first child internationally and I think now they are kicking themselves for not going that route again and doing domestic for the second. Less uncertainity because you submit your dossier and basically just wait until your time comes and they knew via updates where they stood. Now they have been waiting over two years and it's just really uncertain....never knowing when the call would come. When it comes, will she change her mind. Dealing with what likely will be open for the second child when the first one is obviously not open. The selling yourself and waiting to be picked vs just waiting in a line until your turn comes up. I kind of think that they thought this would be easier and faster when it's been the exact opposite.
    Good thing would be once you got your home study paid for and all that paperwork done and submitted, you should have a general idea of how long you would have to save up the rest. When we did it two years ago, we waited until we had pretty much all the money in the bank on the chance we got picked quickly.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I got Clomid from my OB, but I didn't ovulate at all and was monitored through bloodwork (vs ultrasounds). Er, I did have an ultrasound before we started, to confirm the cysts on my ovaries, and than after provera to see if they were gone, but I think that was it. It's been so long, the details are fuzzy

That's strange about your RE Mandy, I've always heard progesterone being checked through bloodwork. Maybe he just really prefers IVF Not to be too nosey (and tell me to hush if I am) but have you had an m/c panel done or anything like that to determine the cause of your losses?

No, you're not being nosy, and no, I haven't had a miscarriage panel done. Which pisses me off because when I first walked in the RE's office I told him I knew I could get pregnant but I miscarried and that was my biggest concern. I was right. He has done pretty much nothing to deal with that.

I have a huge level of anger about this. Really, since the last one I just haven't had the emotional resources to even think about trying again, which is why I haven't been more agressive about this. I just don't know if I want to go through this again. But every time I think about this I just can't help but feel angry.

As for the adoption thing, that may very well be the direction we end up heading. I'm not so sure DH is so in favor of China vs. anywhere else to adopt, but that he's heard of adopting from China and knows its something that people do. He hasn't really researched the topic and I haven't sat him down and made him really look at it yet. I shared what I learned with him recently about the biopsy and how it didn't match what our doctor had said. He doesn't remember the conversation - says I remember the details more - but he asked about making an appointment with the other RE in town if I want. I just don't know. Like I said, I just don't know if I have the emotional resources to fight this fight anymore.

Oh Mandy I am so sorry.

I'm sorry you've had to deal with so much, Mandy.

Regardless of what you decide to do, though, you should at least get a new RE and not see the old one anymore. Maybe punch him in the face? Or just picture it in great detail. haha. Always makes me feel better when I'm angry at someone.