Page 1430 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 4309301330138014201428142914301431143214401480 ... LastLast
Results 42,871 to 42,900 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    I find that the media causes people to obsess about things and it is not healthy. Between Casey Anthony and now this it has just been too much lately.
    I was just thinking about that one since both were in FL....and totally blanking on her name. I generally skip over those kinds of stories in the news or if on TV, FF.
    It's hard because I support journalists rights but on the other hand I don't like seeing cases tried in the media before the courts. It's not so bad on my local news with the zimmerman case but mostly because local has been focused on a really horrific local one.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I am not really into following then news either but social issues are always of concern to me. I do find this to be a social issue. As to what they are protesting? I believe it's that racism is alive and well in America. Dbf and I discuss this a lot because he gets annoyed whenever I try to bring up news stories to him, stating that he doesn't like the negativity, which I get. But I also think it's important to be aware of what is going on in the world. Also, i think if more people paid attention to world news and less people paid attention to the Kardashians, we'd all be better for it.

But I do get not being able to handle the disturbing news. It can wear you down and make you think the world is evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I am not really into following then news either but social issues are always of concern to me. I do find this to be a social issue. As to what they are protesting? I believe it's that racism is alive and well in America. Dbf and I discuss this a lot because he gets annoyed whenever I try to bring up news stories to him, stating that he doesn't like the negativity, which I get. But I also think it's important to be aware of what is going on in the world. Also, i think if more people paid attention to world news and less people paid attention to the Kardashians, we'd all be better for it.
    SUPER DUPER LIKE x ELEVENTY!!!

As I have gotten older, I have become *much* more of an activist. Maybe it's because I have a child, or a girl child, or because we are people of color, but if everyone closed their eyes to the injustices of the world, hard fought freedoms will be rolled back. Look what Texas and many other states are doing to women's reproductive rights! Do I really want my child to grow up in an environment where being a person of color or a woman who refuses to have sex with someone be grounds for execution?

And this is the sort of stuff that makes me heartsick: http://www.opposingviews.com/i/socie...mily-awarded-1

We live in a post-racial world, my Aunt Fanny!

Social issue of racism I agree is still a huge problem. I just wish that it wasn't attached to this case and something more clear cut...or something more specific like women's rights are focused right now on our reproductive rights. We had to really talk a lot about it when dealing with the adoption paperwork. Had we been living in Milwaukee still, we would have said race didn't matter since for us it doesn't. Where we live now, different story. It's not diverse though slowly changing. But the attitudes I encountered when I first moved here, made us think about it and it affected what we marked down.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

That is awful. And stroke signs are fairly obvious to anyone with any medical knowledge.

When I moved here, I was told more than once by more than one person that my town is really safe. There aren't really any black families and the only black people are athletes on scholarship at the university or drug dealers from Chicago. Nevermind that it's not true....we have something 65K people and I know a number of doctors are not white. But that kind of attitude was so shocking to me, I think my eyes might have really done that. I had never heard racism like that before.

And while the town is pretty safe, a lot of the crimes we have are committed by white men. And the super horrific one a few towns over....white man....though at least we found out yesterday he got life with no parole. Thankfully because it was a very clear cut case with absolutely certainity.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Aware yes. Let it run my life and damage the way I view the world? No. People here, do quite literally, become so obsessed with it. My contribution to this sort of ridiculous-ness (made up a word just for the occassion) is to ensure that I raise open minded sons.

Than again, I am not a fan of the 'news' and I don't think that it is nearly as honest/accurate as it should be. I don't believe 90% of what is on the news and don't know anything about the Kardashians other than one of them has a big a$$

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

There are more objective/accurate news sources out there. I prefer public radio myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    And this is the sort of stuff that makes me heartsick: http://www.opposingviews.com/i/socie...mily-awarded-1

We live in a post-racial world, my Aunt Fanny!
    Sigh. FL

Racism is still here, but not nearly as bad as other places I have lived (where we lived in GA and in TN it felt like there was practically lines of segregation) and I see it from white people just as often as I see it from black/mexican/cubans etc. My area is fairly diverse and IF you do encounter racism it is usually from some old ornary man who nobody listens to anyway (like my grandfather who still doesn't believe in interracial marriages, but a good chunk of his golfing buddies are black )

But I do get not being able to handle the disturbing news. It can wear you down and make you think the world is evil.
    I agree with both of these & am trying to find my own balance right now. I can get so wrapped up in social justice and politics, it inhibits my ability to enjoy life and even maintain friendships.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Can't blame you. I'd just send a note saying that you are sorry for her loss, it seems like she has a lot going on, and that you hope to catch up next time you're in town.
    Just adding another voice to the chorus. ^^^ This is perfect, Katy. I'm really sorry you're left to scramble for new arrangements.

SUPER DUPER LIKE x ELEVENTY!!!

As I have gotten older, I have become *much* more of an activist. Maybe it's because I have a child, or a girl child, or because we are people of color, but if everyone closed their eyes to the injustices of the world, hard fought freedoms will be rolled back. Look what Texas and many other states are doing to women's reproductive rights! Do I really want my child to grow up in an environment where being a person of color or a woman who refuses to have sex with someone be grounds for execution?
    This. And what B said. It's awful when when people like L and her family, who choose to do their part for unity and live in a racially diverse city, have to fear for their safety. The anger out there is deepseated and justified, even though Trayvon wasn't murdered in their backyard. Oscar Grant was. We've got so far to go before we can even begin to think of our society as post-racial. It's a terrible shame that people suffer and are threatened and afraid, and that people act out in violence... but it is a problem that rests on the shoulders of every one of us.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Totally agree, Gretchen.

Our society has been ingrained to judge and hate based upon everything from skin color, to ethnicity, to religion, to weight, sexual preferences and the list goes on and on. We see that so blantantly even in a group such as this from mother to mother. It is all we know. I do my best to set an example to my sons (and even in some ways to my husband who has his moments of judgement towards others) and that is all I can do.

I don't feel that I can impact beyond my circle and that is what I choose to focus on. I am not so naive as to think that I can change the world, but I *know* I can help to change those I come in contact with and those with whom I am responsible for.

Since I'm starting to feel depressed about all the social issues that bother me (the racial issues, women's issues, the environment, over-population....the list goes on and on)......and I have been sad about the passing of Corey Monteith (which I normally am not affected so much by a hollywood passing but I liked him).....

Something else to think about http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/0...sts/?hpt=hp_c4

I pretty quickly and easily saw myself as the number 3 type.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Since I'm starting to feel depressed about all the social issues that bother me (the racial issues, women's issues, the environment, over-population....the list goes on and on)......and I have been sad about the passing of Corey Monteith (which I normally am not affected so much by a hollywood passing but I liked him).....

Something else to think about http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/0...sts/?hpt=hp_c4

I'll have to show that to my co-worker. I am somewhere between 5 and 6. Religion doesn't impact my life, but I am always open to educating myself on different religions and learning from some teachings, despite my disbleief in a higher being. I'm not sure that, that accurately depicts how I feel, but its the best this sleep deprived pregnant lady can come up with

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post

I relate to Andy Rooney's the best. I think it's all a bunch of nonsense and I don't understand it.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I don't know if I can change the world. I'm not sure that all the people that did in fact change the world set about doing that. So, I plan to give it my best shot.

Of those categories, I think I'm somewhere between 5 and 6. Probably more 5 than 6.

I don't know if I can change the world. I'm not sure that all the people that did in fact change the world set about doing that. So, I plan to give it my best shot.

Of those categories, I think I'm somewhere between 5 and 6. Probably more 5 than 6.
    and I respect that. I just believe that I can make changes, small, by the interactions that I have with people on just a day to day basis. I have stepped in on more than one occassion when I have seen discrimination and will continue to do so, but I definitely won't be setting out to make any huge changes.

Maybe it is the stage of life I am in and that may change later, but for now - I just want everybody to take responsibilities for themselves and stop pointing fingers in every direction but at themselves.

Myles, I'm SCUBJIA again (you guys are chatty sometimes!) but don't feel bad about what you said. I tend to find little quotes out of context and think about how they relate to me without really thinking about who it comes from or what they were really saying.
    I tend to be the 6th kind of atheist, although I usually identify myself as agnostic, because really, you can't prove either way that there is or isn't a god although science and logic point to no. I'm fascinated with the paranormal and unexplained. If I am skeptical about ghosts and other paranormal things I feel like I'd be hypocritical to not be skeptical (instead of outright disbelieving) of the existence of a god.
    Last edited by daylilies; 07-16-2013 at 01:11 PM.

I think I'm a 5 on that list. It simply has no place in my brain.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Christina, I get what you are saying. Change starts at home and how we raise our children affects so much. Raising and educating children is the biggest opportunity we have to truly shape opinions. These debates I see on Facebook and the like just seem to draw groups of like-minded people closer together and divide those who think differently. It's rare for people to truly critically evaluate what they read and form an unbiased opinion.

And as for the media - everything has bias. Everything. Everything. There is no unbiased source. I feel a responsibility to attemp to determine the bias in the source and attempt to discover the agenda of everything I read. Even so, it's still not easy to determine the truth vs. the spin, but it makes me feel better trying.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

That's interesting about race and adoption, Jennifer. We are open to adopting any race. I wouldn't not adopt a child of a different race over what the neighbors might think. I would grow my family in the way I chose, and if I found discrimination, then I would move. It's a shame anyone even has to think about it.

Then again, my own family is interracial, so I guess I've already dealt with the (fortunately rare) questions on the subject. My sister has faced prejudice and discrimination. So I can gain from her experience.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 07-16-2013 at 02:25 PM.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I see elements of myself in all 6 of thoseatheist descriptions, but I probably identify most with number 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    That's interesting about race and adoption, Jennifer. We are open to adopting any race. I wouldn't not adopt a child of a different race over what the neighbors might think. I would grow my family in the way I chose, and if I found discrimination, then I would move. It's a shame anyone even has to think about it.

Then again, my own family is interracial, so I guess I've already dealt with the (fortunately rare) questions on the subject. My sister has faced prejudice and discrimination. So I can gain from her experience.
    My area is very white followed by Asian (mostly Hmong). I have seen it getting better but it's not like where I grew up. It's not so easy to just move when you need to go where the job is. And minus the lack of diversity, it's mostly a pretty nice place to live.
    It wasn't at all that we cared what the neighbors thought but that we didn't think it fair to the child to say be the only black child in the class. The child would already have the adoption as a potential struggle in indentity that we also didn't want to add being the only child of that race in their class or even grade.
    And they really made a point in classes that if you do interracial adoptions, you should have a community or support people in your lives of that race. Easy back home, not easy here. Some races we can provide that and some we just couldn't.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

On a different note, I just had this exchange with a new girl on my team who felt comfortable to share with with me. I've seriously only talked to her once. This really warms my heart when people open up to me in little ways like this:

Mamaluv.jpg

In that list, I'm a 6. I don't believe in the concept of divinity, but I feel there's wisdom to be found in many sacred texts and that humans can glean something sublime out of ritual, ceremony and a little bit of superstition. Gardening and riding a bike can be a form of meditation to me, if that makes any sense. So, yeah, a 6.

Quote Originally Posted by pepperlru View Post
    This. And what B said. It's awful when when people like L and her family, who choose to do their part for unity and live in a racially diverse city, have to fear for their safety. The anger out there is deepseated and justified, even though Trayvon wasn't murdered in their backyard. Oscar Grant was. We've got so far to go before we can even begin to think of our society as post-racial. It's a terrible shame that people suffer and are threatened and afraid, and that people act out in violence... but it is a problem that rests on the shoulders of every one of us.
    Very well said and I totally agree.

I also don't see myself saving the world but I am not convinced that one of my children won't.