Page 1424 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 4249241324137414141422142314241425142614341474 ... LastLast
Results 42,691 to 42,720 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

I will be nervous for sure but dbf does not have time to camp with us and that is an experience most of my childhood memories are made of and I want to share that with my kids. I found some rustic cabins so I think we will go that route. At least I can lock the door and they should make it a bit safer. Right?

Something with lockable doors would be MUCH better. Just have some sort of safety procedure in place - inside by a certain time, check in with someone at a certain time, that sort of thing.

Way safer! I'd totally do a cabin with the kids by myself.

Suja, she's 7-8ish and isn't super active anymore because of her arthritis. She swam non stop from thurs-sun plus ran around with other dogs. I think my vet will be able to get me in monday if needed so I'll just see how she is by then. She's peeing/pooping normally. She's the type of dog to really show when she doesn't feel well, even if it's minor.
    AKA Lisa724

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I will be nervous for sure but dbf does not have time to camp with us and that is an experience most of my childhood memories are made of and I want to share that with my kids. I found some rustic cabins so I think we will go that route. At least I can lock the door and they should make it a bit safer. Right?
    For 1 - I am sorry that your kids won't get to share that experience with him

and yes, I think a cabin would make *me* feel more comfortable for you (you know, like that matters in the grand scheme of things). Cabin camping is totally my kind of camping. TOILETS!

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Bridget, think anyone else would want to go with you? Maybe your dad? I can understand wanting to give them the kind of memories you had growing up. I want to do the same...just mine aren't camping! LOL Mine are hotel based vacations....Disney, road trips, museums....

If she is that kind of dog, I would worry even less. My Molly is very dramatic like that. Our vet called her a drama queen....he has a couple of daughters and said Molly is like of his daughters. Cosmo is the opposite...if she shows any pain, I know it's really hurting her.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Well...they may be pits, and not proper toilets. "Rustic" often means that there are 4 walls and a roof (and probably, rodents).

I'd totally do it. Even in a tent. And I read nothing but true life serial killer books for at least a decade (and little else) and I'd still do it. I'm with you Bridget-I cannot and will not live my life in fear. And I don't need a man to do things. It's nice if/when they can come along, but if not, so be it. Anyway, if we wanted to be technical there have been serial killers that murdered the father too. Just sayin.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I haven't camped with the kids alone (unless the back yard counts?) but I did drive them from upstate to NY to SC alone plenty of times.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Well...they may be pits, and not proper toilets. "Rustic" often means that there are 4 walls and a roof (and probably, rodents).
    I'll take it!

The day before I found out I was pregnant, we went on a hike in the Shenandoahs. I pride myself on my cast iron bladder, but that day, I just HAD to pee on the way to the trail head. We stopped at a pit toilet. OMG, GROSS!!! Of course, a couple of miles down, was a proper one. We only did a 4 mile hike, but I had to stop again on the way back. Never even knew that was a pregnancy symptom.

I went skiing before I knew I was pg and it was so annoying because I kept having to stop and get off my skis, clomp down to a bathroom, disrobe and go pee. Like every two hours or something. And no better at night - every two hours. That was my first inkling that I was pg.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

I always have to pee like that. Recurrent UTI's as a teen killed my ability to hold my pee.

Of course now I am drinking 120+oz of water a day.... So.... lots lots of bathroom trips for me

Yay for your mom, Suja!!!

You guys, I just Google/ogled Shemar Moore, because I had no idea what you were talking about. When his photo popped up, I actually said aloud: "Mmmm! Yes, please!" LOL.

Y'know. As much as I had to sound like a fraidy kat, I would be a little afraid to camp in the backcountry with just Bodhi. I might do it, just to prove something to myself (because I truly believe it's more likely I'd get hit by a flying iron out of nowhere while walking down a city street in Mogadishu than be attacked by a bear or human predator). But I am easily spooked. Before I got married in the Virgin Islands, I went and camped there by myself the year before to scope out locations for the wedding. And I was suuuuuuper creeped out the whole time. It didn't help that I stubbornly refused to put new batteries in my dying headlamp. (After I put the batteries in, I was like, "Oh, why didn't I do that sooner? Look, I can actually see the path I'm walking on and the words in my book!") Anyway, I cut my camping short by a night and put myself in a hotel, and I was soooooooo relieved. But Bridget, your kids are older, and they will likely be good company and ward off the bugaboos, and it seems reasonably safe. So I say go for it!
    Last edited by demigraf; 07-12-2013 at 11:00 AM.

Because of my bathroom issues I can't really go to a place that doesn't have real bathrooms or at least a portapotty. It's sort of a pain in the ass to catheterize yourself in the woods. LOL

Re: shoe tying, I forget how old he was, but I'm pretty sure it was either early K or still in preschool for some reason I decided he needed to learn to tie his shoes. I think it was a request for K that kids know how to tie their shoes so the teachers aren't spending time tying shoes all day. So we got a book from the library that was in the shape of a shoe and had real laces and had a cute little poem about how to tie your shoes, but I think it was the "two bunny ears" way that I never learned, so I was learning along with him! Because Josh is so persistent, he sat down with the book and wouldn't give it a break until he'd figured it out.

Poor Myles! What a deprived life you've led, devoid of Shemar Moore!

I have never seen anything he's in, I don't think, but I googled him too and he's rather nice looking.

What I really appreciate from you ladies is all of this talk of serial killers as I plan my camping trip.

Don't worry, they're just as likely to be peeking in your windows as they are to sneak up on you in the woods.

That was meant to be gentle teasing, by the way...I'm not liking this awkward silence

I feel like you ladies, void of Shemar Moore, need a hug for some reason

What I really appreciate from you ladies is all of this talk of serial killers as I plan my camping trip.
    See, the thing to take away from this is, if you DO get attacked by a serial killer, we all get to meet Shemar Moore (well, if we were in a television series that is)

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Don't worry, they're just as likely to be peeking in your windows as they are to sneak up on you in the woods.
    if Bridget wasn't paranoid before, she will be now.

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    See, the thing to take away from this is, if you DO get attacked by a serial killer, we all get to meet Shemar Moore (well, if we were in a television series that is)

He was on young and restless before I started watching it (and have since stopped that one). Sorry to say but totally not my type. No hair and too many muscles. Body wise I like a more of a cuddly teddy bear type. Face wise....I LOVE Ben Affleck. I also like Ewan McGreggor. Zachary Quinto isn't too bad either.

Well a serial killer is kind of rare. I would worry more about bears and rapists. And if the cabin didn't have a bathroom..this is the biggie for me would be taking one kid to the bathroom and having to bring all three. If there are two adults, one can go with to the bathroom and the other stay with the rest of the kids.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Well if the serial killer was Dexter...... Forgot that while I normally like darker hair on guys.....I also love Michael C. Hall. He's such a good actor. And Dexter is kind of hot.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

We aim to please! Ourselves, mostly.

Bears, and rapists, and serial killers, Oh my!

I couldn't imagine having to worry about bears. Biggest threat around here is a rabid raccoon or cranky opossum (is that right, I feel like that spelling is wrong)

Ok but you have a lot of bugs and snakes and well do you alligators where you are?

We have bears by me. In the spring there was one camped out by some homes 1.5-2 miles from me. I have never seen one but I know people who have and it seems every year there are reports of one in town....I live in town technically but barely.
    I have seen a lot of coyotes and wild turkies in my yard or just past my yard in the field.....I have heard that wild turkies are pretty mean and they are BIG...not like one from the freezer section.

And I will swear up and down that once we saw a wolf at the edge of the woods...it's my house, farm field and woods. It was too big for a coyote and it didn't look dog plus it was really big.

I mean you all are talking about camping in the woods....and I am afraid of my back yard in the dark. I only take the dogs out in the front yard at night as there is street light there plus the house lights.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

All of y'all just hush now. I'm staying at the holiday inn. KIDDING. I am more concerned about bed bugs than bears!

And thanks, Kate. I will keep that in mind when I am home alone...watching Dexter. Just me and my baseball bat. While we're on it, do you guys ever play out scenarios in your head? Like, what would you do if an intruder came through a certain door in relation to where the kids are an any possible weapons? I do it all the time. I am prepared to go bat sh!t crazy if need be. In that book Protecting the Gift, there is a story about a woman who fought off an attacker posing as a salesman. She had her baby on her hip. The guy ended up taking off, not expecting a fight. Later she said she couldn't remember what she said but her neighbor recalled hearing something about hunting him down and ripping his heart out. I loved her for that.

Yes, we do, all of the above. Snakes aren't generally an issue unless you don't watch where you are stepping, they are easily shooed away (if you are trudging through high grass the person in front should be shuffling with a walking stick in front of them for this reason), and anyone here knows how to look out for an alligator (or alligators nest) and to not camp RIGHT next to the water. If you get attacked by an alligator its because you went in their space (or during a drought they can get more hostile), they are not going to come sniffing out food (like a bear).

To me they aren't a threat, encounters with them are preventable 99% of the time. I'd rather come across an alligator than a bear, I would freak the F out if I saw a bear.

I was forced to camp, a lot, when I was younger. I did not find it enjoyable in the least. Bugs, dirt, sleeping on the group - I'm good on that.