Page 1423 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 4239231323137314131421142214231424142514331473 ... LastLast
Results 42,661 to 42,690 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

I read set of three as well.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Well, crap! Mom has apparently been keeping quiet about a lump she found below her sternum. She's going for an ultrasound today.

She found it in February. You know what she did? She Googled, and decided that it was nothing. She only told the doctor because my cousin found out (mom told her mom), and threatened to call Grandma. My mom is an idiot. In fact, I appear to be surrounded by them.

Oh Suja. People should not be allowed to google health related things.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

My aunt was on a school trip with my cousin's fifth grade class. A girl had her shoes untied and my aunt was like you need to tie your shoes. She said she didn't know how. Aunt had her arms full so she asked another girl if she could help....nope she couldn't either. Aunt asked the whole group if anyone knew and turns out like 30 kids...NONE knew how to tie shoes!!! I guess none of them had tie shoes and it's not until they transition to adult sizes that they come across laces. OMG....we could tie when we were like 3 or 4 yrs old! Crazy.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I looked all over that page and couldn't find anything to explain why it said set of 3, what the 3 things were, or why it would be anything other than 3. Nothing in the description or the reviews specified single item or three items. I would talk to the seller.

Suja, I hope it's nothing. It must be a soft lump, if it's ultrasound-worthy? You do need a vacation, but I think what you need is for everyone around you to just do what they're supposed to do and be reasonable and let you do what you want without stressing about stuff and for nothing else to go wrong. That would be the best vacation of all.

Jennifer, my twins are at a sports camp right now where they are required to have athletic shoes. They actually have some tie shoes that were hand-me-downs, but they've only worn them a few times. They don't know how to tie their shoes. They have really wonderful slip-on shoes that are great for hiking and school and social events and a few other shoes like sandals that velcro on. I was talking to DH about my concern that they'd have to change in and out of their swimming suits quickly and back into their clothes and their shoes that they don't know how to tie. DH was shocked. He said, "I knew how to tie my shoes in preschool!" I reminded him that they didn't have velcro shoes back in the old days, and he said that if they just had to do it a few times a day like he did, they'd learn pretty quickly. Well, that was less than a week before camp started, and who was going to actually sit down and practice tying shoes with them when it was time to leave the house, when it was all I could do to get everyone ready, dressed, teeth brushed, pack snacks, go to the potty, get dressed myself, organize errands and lists for the day if I was off work, and do it in time to be wherever we needed to be? Maybe we could do it when we weren't trying to go somewhere, but DH has been coming home after bedtime lately, and the kids were in Wisconsin for a good part of the week before camp.

Luckily, I went to orientation and they talked about how the goal of camp is to learn about life skills, like changing clothes and not touching people and taking turns, and the sports are all kind of secondary and ways to organize around this. So I stopped being worried. Maybe they'll learn how to tie shoes as a side benefit to this camp. Their favorite part has been swimming so far, which has been wonderful. Not too long ago they were scared to put their faces or ears in the water, and just a few days into it Claire has been crowing about walking underwater.

I think the shoe tying is only one of many skills that will become a forgotten or delayed skill. Trying to figure out how to get places in a car without a navigation system, for example, and reading a map, is another one. I can already tell my own brain is changing by using navigation a lot. I have a really good sense of direction and can usually figure out the best way to get somewhere even if I only know a general area or direction, but not having to think about where I'm going with as much consciousness is making that part of my brain atrophy. On the other hand, my Waze app has been very helpful for my commute.

You don't know how glad I am to read that your twins aren't tying their shoes yet, and you think it's going to be a delayed (if not forgotten) skill. Conner still can't tie his shoes, and while I distinctly remember having some classmates in 1st grade that couldn't, it's bothered me some that he's not there yet. But dressing himself in general has been a little bit of a struggle for him. Probably because he's my 'baby' and I've done things for him longer than I did for his sisters, but I also think it's just an area where he's not quite as strong in. Not because he's incapable, but he frankly doesn't give a fig about it. He likes being independent in many ways. Dressing/tying shoes aren't any of those. Yet.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I know there are kids in Mira's class that can tie shoe laces. I think they teach it there. I'll ask tomorrow.

My GPS stopped working today and messed me up big time. I actually changed our agenda because I had no idea where one place was since I' d planned to just enter the museum name and call it a day. I also got turned around on my way home since I was in an unfamiliar area and entered the park from one highway but excited on the other side. I don't even have a map in my car and after today, that is going to change.

Savana has a very red mark at her tick bite site, unraised though not a bullseye. It just showed itself today because I'd have noticed, and actually was making a point to check in the weeks following. But it's been nearly 2 months now. I am very paranoid about Lyme disease so will be taking her in tomorrow.

My children do not know how to tie their shoes. But they can tie a mean knot which I am reminded of everytime I want yo use my jumprope.
    Last edited by Bridget; 07-11-2013 at 10:08 PM.

But your kids are little.....just shocked us that almost teens about to start junior high couldn't.

B i was chatting to my mom tonight and museums came up and she said she's taken the kids to the dinosaur one a number of times and they all thought it was cool.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Oh I missed they were junior high!

OMG, this conversation brought back so many memories of when I worked with elementary age in mainstream classes. I rotated groups all day and seems like every single group had at least one kid who perpetually needed me to tie their shoes. I admit your aunt's group sounds a little old for it - mostly it was kinder-3rd grade kids who were the "chronic shoe tier" kids but it used to drive me batty. I had half an hour per session with 3-4 kids per group and by the time I added going and finding the kids wherever they were (seemed like none of them were ever where their teachers told me they would be), walking back to my room with them, tying everyone's shoes, and allowing drinks of water for those kids who really, really, really needed a drink of water right now as we were passing the water fountain, I got in about 5-10 minutes of therapy time per half hour session. Drove me up the wall. The older kids I would tell to just come to my classroom at the appointed time, but with the littles I didn't trust them to remember the time, and cross the whole campus unsupervised to actually get there on their own at the right time. I used to feel like I spent so much time tying shoes I had nothing left for therapy.

That's one of the things I don't miss AT ALL about therapy. Next year will be different because I'll be going to them where they are, but I'm certain there will be just as much shoe tying and I will be just as much a slave to the clock. I'm such a go-with-the-flow person that doesn't come at all naturally to me.

L, I looked at the reviews, too, and judging just by that and the product description you wouldn't have known it was a three piece set. It's only the title that mentions it. I wonder is something was just wrong about it - but why on earth would it have been $199 at the original price for one organizer when there was another page that had the exact same product for 1/3 the price?
    Last edited by Gwenn; 07-11-2013 at 11:01 PM.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Okay, it gets stranger. I went back and checked my original sales confirmation and it listed the title as "Memorystor Saddle Bag Organizer for Universal Rolling Cart with handle lock" and they charged me $64.75. The embedded link brought me back to the page I ordered from, which lists the product as "ECR4KIDS MemoryStor Universal Rolling Organizer Set-3 Pack", with the price listed at $64.99. Slightly different title, slightly different price - and the receipt said nothing about a 3-pack.

However, the single "ECR4Kids MemoryStor Universal Rolling Organizer Set" was listed as full price $64.99, sale price $48.99.

They didn't give me either of those products. How is that possible? And if they sold me the single, why didn't they give it to me at the sale price?

Amazon lists the name of the seller but there is no contact information for the seller, only for Amazon. The shipping label said that Amazon will refund or exchange items in "original and unopened condition." The package was actually open when it arrived - there was a sealed Amazon box and an inside box that was not closed or taped. And I did take everything out. Otherwise how would I have known they screwed up the order?
    Last edited by Gwenn; 07-11-2013 at 11:21 PM.

Contact Amazon. They are generally pretty good about these things.

Yes, I agree, Mandy. And take screenshots of exactly where it says set of 3 or 3-pack. That way, they can't change the website in a hurry and tell you you're just imagining things. (Not that I ever do that out of paranoia or anything.)

Suja, oh no. I'm sorry to hear about your mom as well. I hope it turns out to be nothing of consequence.

Suja, I am so sorry I didn't respond earlier. I am so sorry about your mom and wait to hear good news following her ultrasound. Keep us posted.

Myles, thanks for the screenshot suggestion. When I was taking them I noticed that the third-party seller who actually sold the product to me was a completely different third party seller than the one listed on the order page. I just clicked on a link - how can a link go to a different product, even if it is similar?

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Savana has a very red mark at her tick bite site, unraised though not a bullseye. It just showed itself today because I'd have noticed, and actually was making a point to check in the weeks following. But it's been nearly 2 months now. I am very paranoid about Lyme disease so will be taking her in tomorrow.
    Good idea. I was reading up on it recently and you don't always get the bullseye.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    OMG, this conversation brought back so many memories of when I worked with elementary age in mainstream classes. I rotated groups all day and seems like every single group had at least one kid who perpetually needed me to tie their shoes. I admit your aunt's group sounds a little old for it - mostly it was kinder-3rd grade kids who were the "chronic shoe tier" kids but it used to drive me batty. I had half an hour per session with 3-4 kids per group and by the time I added going and finding the kids wherever they were (seemed like none of them were ever where their teachers told me they would be), walking back to my room with them, tying everyone's shoes, and allowing drinks of water for those kids who really, really, really needed a drink of water right now as we were passing the water fountain, I got in about 5-10 minutes of therapy time per half hour session. Drove me up the wall. The older kids I would tell to just come to my classroom at the appointed time, but with the littles I didn't trust them to remember the time, and cross the whole campus unsupervised to actually get there on their own at the right time. I used to feel like I spent so much time tying shoes I had nothing left for therapy.
    Even as parents, we often get so busy that taking the time to teach a child how to tie shoes slips to the bottom of the 'to-do' list. I always think about it when I'm tying Conner's shoes, but we're always in a hurry or need to get somewhere. And then life happens and as it is, I barely feel like a get a moment to sit.

I'm wondering how the heck I taught 3 girls to tie shoes. Maybe I didn't. I should ask them...they might be the kids Jennifer was talking about!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Contact Amazon. They are generally pretty good about these things.
    I'd definitely contact Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Suja, I am so sorry I didn't respond earlier. I am so sorry about your mom and wait to hear good news following her ultrasound. Keep us posted.

Myles, thanks for the screenshot suggestion. When I was taking them I noticed that the third-party seller who actually sold the product to me was a completely different third party seller than the one listed on the order page. I just clicked on a link - how can a link go to a different product, even if it is similar?
    Web design error. The company likely made changes and haven't updated all their links on their site yet. It happens often when they don't have either competent web designers or not enough of them. Or, human error.

Oh, and me too Suja. I hope she's ok.

I had a nightmare that I got called on a Thursday that 50 people were starting next Tuesday and they all needed brand new computers (I only have space to image 4 at a time). I was the only one that thought it was a problem in my dream.

Well, now the spot looks like a mosquito bite! Can hardly see it. Maybe yesterday she scratched it with strawberry on her hands! Seriously.

The place where we hiked yesterday had a lot of cool stuff to do but it's an hour away so I told dbf that when we go back I am just going to camp. He said he is not comfortable with me camping alone with the kids. "Too many freaks"
    But why would camping bring them out? I hate to disregard his feelings but pretty sure I will be doing it anyway.

I would too Bridget. Sounds like fun!

Well, I can see his concern. You'd be more vulnerable, camping by yourself, with 3 kids, than if you were either by yourself, or with another adult.

Mom's u/s showed a 10 mm gall stone that has to come out at some point, but she is otherwise fine. YAY!

Phew!

I see his concern too but I don't want to live in fear and thus not have these adventures. It's me and the 3 kids pretty much all the time.

Suja glad your mom is OK!!! That's great news!

Tying shoes - what an interesting concept. Nolan is already trying to tie his shoes, but he definitely is not there yet. I would really like for him to tie his own as soon as possible though - one less thing I am responsible for in the morning

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

I probably wouldn't camp without DH, but I don't in general enjoy camping and he does

ETA: Dude........... my ticker says 99 days

As much as I would enjoy camping, I wouldn't do it any place that isn't an organized camp ground, by myself. Unless I had dogs. Maybe it's a result of my steady diet of serial killer books, and Criminal Minds.

So glad for good news about your mom, Suja!

Bridget, I wish I lived closer, I would LOVE to go camping with you. I think I would be a little nervous sleeping outside with my kids and no other adults and I rarely get nervous about stuff. I think my mind would run away from me if I heard a noise or something.

Suja, another dog question. Luna came home from the lake sunday with pretty extensive hot spots on her neck and chest and a few other small areas. It was super humid, she was in the water non-stop and never fully dried. I clipped them up, washed the area well and it seems to be healing great, it's scabbed over and not red anymore. She also got an ear infection which I cleaned out extensively (I used to be a vet tech, I've cleaned a million dog ears) but I don't have anything medication wise to treat it with. She's not shaking her head anymore, the redness has gone away and it doesn't seem to have anymore of the black stuff showing up. I'd say she's fine, but she's still pretty lethargic from the whole thing. She seems to be perking up a little but not a lot. Would you bring her in or give it through the weekend and go in monday if she's still lethargic? For the most part, she's eating and drinking normally.
    AKA Lisa724

How old is she? Is she lethargic to a worrisome extent? Is her output okay? There really isn't any reason for her to be lethargic (if that's what it is, and not related to the heat), since you got back on Sunday. I'd make an appointment for Monday. You can always cancel it if she starts acting normally by then.

As much as I would enjoy camping, I wouldn't do it any place that isn't an organized camp ground, by myself. Unless I had dogs. Maybe it's a result of my steady diet of serial killer books, and Criminal Minds.
    Mmmm.... Shemar Moore....

Oh, wait, what were we talking about... camping? Yeah, I'm good on that...

LOL! I *totally* get you on that. Thing is, I didn't care for him much when he was on some soap or the other. He has matured beautifully.

Lisa...I tend to be inclined to bring my dogs in pretty easily and I think I would give until Monday. She's older and it sounds like an EXHAUSTING weekend. Even my not quite 2 yr old needs a few days to recover after a weekend away....older dog needs even more time.

Bridget, I wouldn't camp alone. Daylight is one thing but I do think that night and darkness might bring out freaks.

Suja that is great about your mom!

Chrissy...that is a nightmare!

I'm happy it's TGIF time! DH and I are going tomorrow to order an entertainment center. Furniture store in my town didn't want to help us when we asked if they had catalogs we could look at since the stuff on the floor didn't work for us. They looked at me like I had two heads and said no. Tried a store in the town north of us (really only a 20-25 minute drive) and the lady was like oh yeah, suure suure we do.....the accent tends to be a bit heavier just outside of town. LOL Found what we were looking for and price isn't bad....went home and measured and thought about it and tomorrow we are going to order it. I'm excited....our current TV is like 25 or 27 inches which was fine when we lived in places with narrow living rooms. But now all the channels have changed and we cannot see what is scrolling on the bottom or sports scores get cut off at the top left. Once the new wall unit comes....we needed a wall until because DH needed display space for his knick knacks LOL.....we get to upgrade to probably a 55 inch TV.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

How old is she? Is she lethargic to a worrisome extent? Is her output okay? There really isn't any reason for her to be lethargic (if that's what it is, and not related to the heat), since you got back on Sunday. I'd make an appointment for Monday. You can always cancel it if she starts acting normally by then.
    That is a good idea if your vet is hard to get into. I didn't think of that as if I call on Monday and want to get in on Monday, I can.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

LOL! I *totally* get you on that. Thing is, I didn't care for him much when he was on some soap or the other. He has matured beautifully.
    DH mentioned seeing him in other shows on TV before, I never have.

He told me one day "Hey babe, he's good looking isn't he? He looks like he would be" I about died My 'manly man' hubby kills me sometimes.