Page 1422 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 4229221322137214121420142114221423142414321472 ... LastLast
Results 42,631 to 42,660 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

Back when the dogs were able to, we'd take them on walks, they'd poop on the walks, and the poop would then get thrown out at the garbage cans near the trails. Towards the end, we'd just double bag and throw them out in the regular trash. We'd do poop scoops a couple of times a week, right before garbage day, so the whole thing doesn't sit and fester.

Hi Ladies! I can't add to the dog convo but like reading it. Good info for when we get a dog but I know that I will wait until the kids are older. I can't take care of a dog right now. That's a nice segway into the other conversation and that is that dbf does no child duties. No baths, meals, bedtimes, brush teeth, park trips, etc. He will take the kids with him on errands so that is when I get my break to uh...clean the house. Household duties are minimum. He will help clean up after dinner about once a week and I believe that is his idea of foreplay. Which it totally would be, if he did it all the time. I'd be a lot more attracted to him for being so considerate. As it is, I am lucky if he brings his dirty dish to the sink. I have said it before, and it's not that I don't miss him when he is gone, but things are harder when he is home. More stressful and more busy with an extra person to take care of and mediate for. He has a hard time getting the kids to listen to without making them cry, especially Sawyer. He argues with our 2 year old the same way he'd argue with a grown man. Nuts. Other than that, I still can't make paragraphs with my laptop so sorry for the run on.

That would drive me insane, Bridget. Not that my dh does as much around the house as I might like, but he definitely helps when he's home, especially with kid stuff like stories and meals and the park. I don't know how you can stand to not yell at him all the time.
    So if he doesn't help with the kids, or around the house, and things are harder for you when he's home ... what's the benefit of keeping him around? I'm sure it's already been asked in here with these ladies, who don't pull punches, but I don't remember seeing your answer. Is it that he helps with income? Is it the sex? (I don't necessarily think those are bad reasons, if so.)
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

We ask her that all the time, Gretchen!
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Ugg it's just disgusting is someone wants to kiss you and they have poop breath. Thankfully it's happening less and less and I think she's getting the idea that it's not good. Never her own, only cosmo. we thought it was Cosmo got people food so it must taste more interesting? But Molly get people food now too. Last time she did it was after a high anxiety day for her. It was so bad that she would try to eat it pretty much as it came out. OMG. Cosmo is definitely more the boss but she also lets Molly get away with a lot more than she should....Cosmo must really love her because she is very tolerant of her.

So I think Suja...you and DH have me agreeing that an aussie is probably not right for us. But he also said tonight that he doesn't like how a collie looks. And it's too big. So that outs a standard poodle for me. He suggested a miniature poodle. So that is a maybe. But he LOVED the looks of the wheaten terrier. Kind of looks like Molly but a little bigger and golden.

I never did gates much with the dogs as puppies though I might buy one for when we go to MIL's house to help with rummages or packing stuff. She's got a bilevel but the steps are wooden and last time Cosmo had trouble and sort of fell part of the way more than once. and that was over a year ago. I don't want her falling at her age and she will NOT stay upstairs....she will follow me around no matter what. for the most part we kept a door closed or just took turns watching Molly and following her around. Really it was only bad the first few months. Once she got about six months old we didn't have to do that and she mostly stayed in the room we were in. Or if the fire was on, she's there. She LOVES the fireplace. I liked it in the winter....puppy is being bratty and I want her to settle down, turn the fire on and she would just lie there staring at it almost in a trance.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

SCWTs are nice dogs. But remember, TERRIER. A cute one, but a terrier nonetheless. Requires extensive socialization, especially if you expect her to be friendly with other critters, including dogs. It would be easier to maintain one though, than a mini Aussie.

It is interesting that she will catch it on its way out. I've never caught my dogs eating dog poop, only digging for treats in the cat box. I think they think the cat box is their own personal entertainment area, or something. I don't quite get the appeal, but every dog I've ever had has loved the cat box.

I DH sometimes. We went out for dinner and we overheard the guy in the booth behind me cussing out his elementary age son. Seriously, calling him nasty words to his face - it was sick. DH started cussing the guy out under his breath and even much later, as we were leaving, talking about how horrible those people were to talk to a kid that way. Every so often I wonder what kind of dad DH would be like and I love seeing a glimpse of how offended he was that someone would speak harshly to a child.

I had a friend who had these miniature schnauzers that were completely unsocialized. They were really unpleasant animals. Left me with a bad taste in my mouth for all terrier breeds. Doesn't help that this particular friend later went insane, either. So now I associate mini schnauzers with crazy people.

I'm not a big terrier fan, myself. For the most part, too busy, too much noseyparkering, too much energy, too much dog. I am not overly fond of hounds either, for different reasons. There are exceptions, of course. I love pit bulls (APBTs and Am Staffs), and Greyhounds.

ETA: I realize that these are sorta odd things for me to say, considering I really like oh, Huskies and Malamutes. I guess, some breeds, you love enough you're willing to overlook a few character flaws.
    Last edited by Suja; 07-10-2013 at 09:17 PM.

I'd be willing to consider a greyhound, but probably not my first choice.

I'd love another retriever - a flattie like Nero, or possible a Golden.

What is noseyparkering? I have had much terrier experience but tend to like them at dog shows. I have thought about a Westfield too. No breed is perfect I figure.

i don't think I would do a winter puppy again....Molly should have had more socialization but it was hard being so cold. Other critters I don't care about....only other dogs. Dh is highly allergic to cats so we are never around them.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

We have a relatively small fenced in yard that the kids and dog share, so we pooper scoop basically every day. We keep a trash can with a heavy duty construction bag in it out behind the shed and that is where all the poop goes. It smells horrid when you open it, but I've never smelled it otherwise. It's a plastic can with a tight fitting lid. I'm not exactly sure how DH goes about getting rid of the giant bag o' poo when it's full. I'm not sure I want to know.

That reminds me of a funny story. We had a baby sitter watch the kids a few weeks ago who had never watched them before (she was one of their old preschool teachers). They were playing in the yard when Asher (my mostly non-verbal 2yo) found a dog poop. He dragged the sitter over to the side of the shed where we keep the poop removal apparatus, made her get the shovel and hoe, dragged her back across the yard to the poop and gestured at it until she picked it up, then showed her where the trash can was. For a kid who barely talks, he certainly gets his point across!

We've talked briefly about what kind of dog we will get when the time comes to get another one. More than likely, it will be a lab or golden, probably a mix of some type. We have a lab/golden cross now and she's great. But depending on how old the kids are when that time comes, we might consider a german shepard as well. I also love german shorthair pointers but they seem to require more exercise than others. We are definitely big dog people and they fit our lifestyle. We spend a lot of time camping/at camp/at the lake and always take our dog with us. I have a friend who breeds show quality aussies that are just GORGEOUS, but they are probably not the best fit for our family.
    AKA Lisa724

Bridget, I really don't know how you put up with it. And not be a miserable b-word. You amaze me.

All this dog talk makes me thing...more work. I don't even have little ones or a dbf to take care of and I don't want the added chore. I Missy. I can take her out without a leash and she stays in the yard. She'll follow me anywhere. When my mom lived downtown, her driveway was a little way from the door and Missy would run from the car straight to G'mas door. Even if I parked on the street, she'd go directly where she was supposed to. She knew she was on G'mas street too because she'd get all excited and start bouncing around, looking out the window wagging her tail as soon as I was in the neighborhood. If we went somewhere she wasn't familiar with, she'd look at me and stick close to my legs and simply go where I go. My favorite thing about her is she has a huge bladder. Or something. I take her out at 12:00-1:00 a.m. and then she doesn't get let out again until I get home at 5:45 p.m. the next day. Since I hate mornings and it's all I can do to get my own self out of the house on time, not having to let her out & walk her is a perk for me.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Our current dog is EASY. She doesn't need a leash unless we are in a high traffic area, doesn't stray, can easily go 12ish hours without going to the bathroom, etc. We don't even need to walk her much, we just play with her in the yard for the most part. We we go to camp or hike, she just stays right with us (or at least within sight). She has always been like that and didn't require much training at all. She sits, stays, spins, jumps and comes on command.
    AKA Lisa724

Quote Originally Posted by pepperlru View Post
    That would drive me insane, Bridget. Not that my dh does as much around the house as I might like, but he definitely helps when he's home, especially with kid stuff like stories and meals and the park. I don't know how you can stand to not yell at him all the time.
    So if he doesn't help with the kids, or around the house, and things are harder for you when he's home ... what's the benefit of keeping him around? I'm sure it's already been asked in here with these ladies, who don't pull punches, but I don't remember seeing your answer. Is it that he helps with income? Is it the sex? (I don't necessarily think those are bad reasons, if so.)

All this dog talk is doing is validating my decision not to get another right now. I have to be honest, I love having animals, but they are a lot of work. Hopefully, once its been a while, maybe DH will enjoy the less work as well - but that's probably a long shot. I'll have to do some more research obviously on breeds because I am completely lost in this conversation. Suja, will you be my dog guru when the time comes

Plus, deep down, I am still a cat person. I find them to be so much less dependent. As long as mine are fed, they really don't give a crap about me one way or another which is perfect being that I am so busy all the time Than again, I don't want to have cats in my house again, I just can't handle the cat hair everywhere anymore. I look at it as one more thing to clean, to my never ending list.

We never really had a poop issue, being that we've always had outside dogs and with an acre, there was plenty of space to poop.

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by MashedUp View Post
    Our current dog is EASY. She doesn't need a leash unless we are in a high traffic area, doesn't stray, can easily go 12ish hours without going to the bathroom, etc. We don't even need to walk her much, we just play with her in the yard for the most part. We we go to camp or hike, she just stays right with us (or at least within sight). She has always been like that and didn't require much training at all. She sits, stays, spins, jumps and comes on command.
    See, that's what we need. A minimal maintenance dog, our lives are entirely too hectic for a large amount of training/classes

I don't want cats either. It's nearly all I can do to take care of my beta fish. I've gotten quite lazy in my old age. I think it's because I went straight from being a teenager to responsible for another little human, and ultimately a mini zoo and brats. I'm enjoying my relatively 'free' time now.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I don't want cats either. It's nearly all I can do to take care of my beta fish. I've gotten quite lazy in my old age. I think it's because I went straight from being a teenager to responsible for another little human, and ultimately a mini zoo and brats. I'm enjoying my relatively 'free' time now.
    I love having fish, but last time I tried to keep a tank - they kept dying because I would forget about them

We were talking about 'getting a gift from the baby' for Nolan the other day and we decided that we were going to get him a fish tank with some low maintenance fish (hubs thought it would be funny/ironic since we are planning a waterbirth to give Nolan fish ). Nolan LOVES having little responsibilitys that are his, so I'm hoping he'll help me remember to feed them everyday!

Cosmo is super easy like that. We don't leash at home or at relatives homes. We do at like rest areas or walks. Molly has a collar at our house and we have an invisible fence. Neither go outside without us watching. We did let Molly be off leash at grandpas and she did really well. So she might be able to not need the collar in a few years....I mean she's not even 2 yet and I don't think Cosmo would have been off leash much at that age either.

Neither of mine were really hard to train, Molly was a little more than Cosmo. But classes helped me learn some easy techniques. I don't need a high level of training but want them to know NO, Sit, Stay, Come. Just have to work on Molly's anxiety and being nervous.....some is her personality and we knew picking her she was submissive and shy and whined but we didn't want to subject cosmo to an aggressive puppy. And we sucked at her socialization....it was way too cold to walk outside and see other people though at least we did puppy class. And she got to meet our families a few times. But really her entire bubble was us and Cosmo. She really likes kids and babies though when she's been around them (our friends, my cousins, puppy class).

So it seems like in the group that I'm the one who likes a needy dog? I really like one that wants to be with her family all the time.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Pan was an exceedingly low maintenance dog. Great off-leash, and I've called her off anything from deer, to charging dogs, to bear. Our personalities did not mesh though, because she was an extremely needy, velcro dog, and I like my dogs independent. Khan was quite independent, and impeccably behaved, but could not be trusted 100% off-leash. He wasn't one to just take off running, but if a fox had crossed his path, he would be gone. He wasn't the smartest dog, but the best one.

Yeah that is it. I like a velcro dog. My mom said I raised really needy dogs....I say that I just pick needy dogs.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I like a balance between needy and independent. Luna won't go out of our sight if we are hiking or whatever, but she prefers her own bed/couch to laying right next to us. She's not super cuddly, but she was a rescue and I know she came to her foster home very scared and timid so I'm not sure how much that played a role.
    AKA Lisa724

http://virtualjobcoach.com/blog/?p=3171

The part about the bathroom, that was Pan. Soon to be joined by Mira and the cat. I'd have a regular procession going there, as I go upstairs to take care of business.

I have seen that before and love it. Yup I usually have two helpers in the bathroom with me. Each one has their spot they wait at. Molly also likes to hang over the edge of the tub while I'm in the shower. Tried to show her that I had to leave the shower the same way I came in and I'm not going to disappear in the drain but she doesn't believe me. LOL

The one time it's irritating is in the kitchen and mostly because I feel bad if I step on someone. The actual kitchen isn't huge and I get one guarding the stove and the other squished between my legs and the counter just in case I drop something. It's mostly ok except those meals you are moving around quickly pulling out of the oven and stirring stuff on the stove as it all comes together.....that is usually when I step on a foot or tail and start throwin out the JC...move already. Or a GD swear. LOL

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    http://virtualjobcoach.com/blog/?p=3171

The part about the bathroom, that was Pan. Soon to be joined by Mira and the cat. I'd have a regular procession going there, as I go upstairs to take care of business.
    11.If they get pregnant, you can sell their children.
    I about pee'd

Although DH let the dogs bend it (they'd beg from him because he'd feed them), I pretty much taught the dogs to stay out of the kitchen during cooking and eating. I do not need 190 lbs. of dog to trip over. The rule applied to all visiting dogs as well. I started with an 'out' and 'down-stay', but it became less formal, over time.

Yeah keeping them out isn't going to happen. LOL We both sneak them tastes of things. But I think I would have to with a dog the size of a person! And both of them but especially Cosmo is almost always in whatever room I am in. As a baby I used to force her to follow me around the apartment so I could make sure she didn't get into trouble.....now she thinks it is her job to follow me around. DH, not so much. But she barely will go to bed unless I do....instead she shoots me dirty looks and I'm like it's ok go night night.
    Molly is more about the food. And she likes to sit on my foot waiting for something to drop. I don't know if I found anything she doesn't really like.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Am I misreading this?

I wanted to buy a mobile organizer (i.e. rolling cart thingie) for work since I'll be hauling around a bunch of crap for my kids to play with and don't want to have to make 3000 trips.

I searched online and found this. The price isn't listed here for some reason but it was priced at $64.99 marked down from $199. I also found this and couldn't figure out why the prices were so different since they appeared identical. Second one was $48.99 marked down from $64.99. After really looking closely, I noticed the first one was described as "set of 3." I don't need three, but I figured if it broke or something, It would cost me $64.99 to replace it and if the set of three was about the same price, I'd be getting two for free. Make sense? So I ordered the set of three one for $64.99.

It came today - and there is just one. I'm really ticked off - I could have just ordered the single for $48.99 and saved the difference. But reading over the description, it's really confusing. Does it refer to the separate pieces? There is the cart part and the organizer part. Am I confused and they actually gave me what I ordered? Or have I been totally ripped off?

The description clearly states, "Set of 3, Black & Gray Rolling Organizers." I'd contact the seller and ask them wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    The description clearly states, "Set of 3, Black & Gray Rolling Organizers." I'd contact the seller and ask them wtf?
    This. You're not crazy. It says "set of 3" and there are only 2 parts. So it couldn't even be that, I wouldn't think. I would call and complain.