Page 1411 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 4119111311136114011409141014111412141314211461 ... LastLast
Results 42,301 to 42,330 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

I'm sorry, Suja.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

I found a Khan hair in my food last night, and that somehow made it all better. I'm such a weirdo.

Sorry about the pity party, y'all. Just not in a good frame of mind right now.

Your grief is totally understandable, and hardly a 'pity party' We all feel for you.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I am happy to stick out the pity party with you until the well runs dry and cousins get so drunk they start making out in dark corners.

*Hugs*, Suja.

Big hugs to you Suja
    Karen (28), DF (28), DD (3), DS (2 months)

Beanpop's Fluffy Butt Diapers *GRAND RE-OPENING 3/13*

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Your grief is totally understandable, and hardly a 'pity party' We all feel for you.
    Yep. You're grieving the loss of a beloved companion. Take your time. Feel miserable for a while. We get it.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

suja

Today, a small yellow tit bird flew in to my MIL's large glass window and died. Travis was there when it happened and was really concerned for the bird as it didn't die straight away. Later on, they found its body, so I suggested that we bury it. We've talked about death before and our official take on it around here is that when you die, your body goes back to the soil and that your soul goes up to the starts to live forever. Travis has always accepted that for as much as we have talked about it. MIL dug a little hole in the ground and as soon as she covered the bird up, Travis burst out in to tears. He was properly sobbing where he was struggling to get a breath and just so distraught. It was heartbreaking to see, but it made me realize that this is the first time that the idea of death as being final was shown to him in a concrete form. Poor boy. We cried together, and then I had to bribe him to feel better by promising him an ice cream later, which I know is not great with planting the whole "eat something sugary to comfort yourself," but that's what we do around here.

Oh, and when Travis was sobbing, my MIL said to him, "It's OK; the little bird has gone to Jesus now!" LOL. I was like, "it's sleeping now forever, having nice dreams about things like ice cream and chocolate."

Aw, poor Travis

Poor little dear! It's just the worst when they start discovering all of the awful things in the world. He's such a sweetheart to be so upset.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Aw. My kids have been blase enough about our aquarium "fishues" that it's really upsetting to DH when a guppie dies of pick and they tell him about it and ask whether we'll get a new one.

We are having another heat wave and I'm miserable. DH and I are both short tempered and I can't cook or turn on the computer. It's cooling down to 84 degrees inside right now but the bedrooms are hotter. Ugh.

Aw, that brought tears to my eyes.

When all but one of the ants in our ant farm died, we dumped them out under one of our trees and watched the live one scurry away, and put some dirt over the dead ones. He seemed okay with that, but he cried when our sea monkeys died.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

That was ick, BTW.

Ich is the funniest name for a fish disease, isn't it? Lydia, I don't mean to turn this into a contest (mostly because I am too grumpy and sweaty) but my house is currently 93 degrees in the shady hallway that hosts the thermostat. The girls' rooms are hotter because the sun is on the walls. We are roasting. Actually, we're mostly just lying on a quilt in the shade on our new grass, and that is quite nice, but every time I have to go inside for something I want to die. Noe has been naked all afternoon. No idea how I'm going to put her to bed in her room - she doesn't like the fan and I think it's too hot in there for it to make much of a difference anyway.
    I know just what you mean about being too hot to cook. We've been eating sandwiches and fried eggs and fruit for about four days now.

Can you sleep in a screen tent in your back yard?

OmgOmgOmg. Our sweet cat, Apple, has had this croaky meow for nearly 2 weeks. I just tpld dbf I was going to call the vet monday and he agreed although we both wondered why she had no other symptoms. Just now we are sitting on the couch with her, dbf tells me to turn on the light because he can feel something on her neck. A rubber band! So tight. Her skin is raw. We had to cut it away. I am just shaking and tearful. The poor baby. Serious talk with the kids tomorrow. Between her collar bell and her flea and tick collar...I never noticed. I feel just awful.

Oh, Bridget, that is just awful. I'm so glad you found out in time.

I sometimes think of things I did carelessly throughout my life without realizing the consequences and I realize how lucky I am to have come to my adulthood without serious harm or punishment to myself or to others. My sister and I used to do "kitty gymnastics" with our kittens when we were in gymnastics classes. We had them do somersaults and little cartwheels. I am so cautious and so careful about others now, more than a lot of people, but kids are so unthinking.

I know they are going to feel terrible. Thinking back, I believe it was Kai. One day he was asking me if I'd seen Apple because she was carrying his pocket knife on her collar but not to worry because all the sharp points were tucked away. We later found it in the front yard and I assumed he had just tucked it under her collar but lately he has been using rubber bands to attach all sorts of things together. Man, the things you don't realize you need to warn against.

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    Oh, Bridget, that is just awful. I'm so glad you found out in time.

I sometimes think of things I did carelessly throughout my life without realizing the consequences and I realize how lucky I am to have come to my adulthood without serious harm or punishment to myself or to others. My sister and I used to do "kitty gymnastics" with our kittens when we were in gymnastics classes. We had them do somersaults and little cartwheels. I am so cautious and so careful about others now, more than a lot of people, but kids are so unthinking.
    I've had those same thoughts!

Bridget, I am glad you found the rubber band...poor kitty.

Poor kitty! That is so sad.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

So glad you found out, Bridget, and that she's ok. Agree with L and the others that kids' higher reasoning skills just aren't there sometimes, and I don't blame you for not noticing either, since she has two collars on already and she had no other symptoms.

Apple has her meow back and is doing fine today. When Kai came up this morning I quietly spoke to him about finding the rubber band without implying that I thought it was him and that it was very painful and dangerous. His eyes filled with tears so I feel sure it was him. I did not feel the need to call him out for it.

I'm thinking of buying this dog crate: http://www.petco.com/product/111892/...eCat=LookAhead

Poor baby can't fit in his crate any more. It's a large size crate, too, and saw us through raising both of our other dogs, including Nero who was 90 lbs full grown. M can get in but has to curl up. He can't even lie down flat anymore. We've had him sleep in his pen in the living room the past few nights, but I want him sleeping with his "pack." Last thing I want to do is spend hundreds of dollars on a crate that I'm hoping we won't need for much longer, but I don't trust him unsupervised.

Oh poor kitty! I think you handled it well. Sometimes we do similar things with Josh, like "someone must have left those scissors on the floor. That's pretty dangerous." and we know it was Josh of course but he doesn't need to be made to feel bad.

I'm sorry it's so hot in some of your houses! It's so uncomfortable and irritating to be hot and sweaty

Back in the days when we lived in Da Bronx, we used to freeze big bowls of ice overnight, and set them under the fans, to cool the rooms. Easily drops the temp 5 degrees in a short span, and works very well for not too open spaces, like bed rooms.

Bridget, you handled that very well. Glad the kitty is on the mend.

Mandy, your CL might have a colossal crate for less. It is a once in a lifetime investment, though.

I didn't even think of CL. Thanks, Suja.

It rained here! Yay for the rainy season! This is puppy's first summer. It was so cute to watch him catch raindrops in his mouth.

I've been putting pans of ice in front of the fans but it just helps the immediate few inches in front of it, if anything. It still seems crazy hot and like nothing helps. Since our house has no insulation, it doesn't help to try to lower the temperature by a minuscule amount when the ambient temperature is so high and it's coming through the walls and the windows and the roof.

Luckily today seemed a bit more tolerable although dh and I are still both testy. It's only 81 at 10 pm and fans on bare skin help--better than sleeping outside in our back yard, believe me. Crackie is having a party. I turned the hose on the kids today and they loved it.

PS Kate love your new SIG pic. Hate typing on my phone though and it's too hot to turn on the computer.

We had to deal with a death explanation here yesterday too. I had taken M to see Monsters U and we were driving home when my phone rang. It was a good friend of mine calling to tell me her grandma had died (on my friend's bday of all days) and that she wouldn't be at work this week, etc. She was crying and of course I was like, omg, what's wrong, what happened, etc. As soon as I hung up the phone, M was like, mama, what happened to kate, is she ok? So I explained what happened and that when people get really old, sometimes their bodies don't work anymore. She seemed to understand it and we decided to make kate a card today.

I would be ready to lose it if my house was that hot. We put our AC's in a month ago. Our house is set up so that we can close off the spare bedrooms and storage areas in the addition part and just heat/cool the living room, kitchen and 3 bedrooms. It's great. Our electric bill goes up 20-25 a month in the summer, but it is worth every penny.

Bridget, sorry about your kitty, I'm glad you caught it in time!
    AKA Lisa724