Page 1403 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 4039031303135313931401140214031404140514131453 ... LastLast
Results 42,061 to 42,090 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

No. We're struggling just to make ends meet right now. The travel would be too much right now, much less adding the cost of treatments out of pocket.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I wish there was a solution Mandy.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Have you dropped the idea of moving?

http://www.slpjobs.com/speech-therap...jobid=36361753
    http://www.slpjobs.com/speech-therap...jobid=35841946
    http://www.slpjobs.com/speech-therap...jobid=35516501 (should be considerably less expensive than NoVA to live in, but with access to both NoVA, and Charlottesville)
    http://www.slpjobs.com/speech-therap...jobid=35516501
    http://www.slpjobs.com/speech-therap...jobid=36348669

There are tons of openings in this area, although I have totally selflessly only picked a few that are close to me.

I haven't dropped the idea, but I'm holding out for something ah-ma-zing. Despite the politics at work, at this time I have: Best salary available in my area, low cost of living, live within 3 miles of work (although next year I'll be driving around from site to site, I won't be commuting), established ties with respected professionals in my community and my place of employment, and (with any school job) paid holidays, summers off with salary adjusted to receive pay over the summers, and I pay into the state retirement system (I've already been paying in for the length of time I've been working there).

If I were to move, I would have to find a position that would put me in a better place financially than I am now. I don't think there is a position working directly for the school system that pays even as well as what I make, and that's without the higher cost of living. (I haven't thoroughly researched your area, but I have done a little bit of digging). School positions don't advertise on job sites - you pretty much have to look up each district, or some states have a website that has all education jobs for the state listed. Working for a contract company (all those were contract jobs) you lose a lot of the benefits I get - no state retirement (although you would likely get a 401K), no adjusted salary for summers off (and I NEED that because I'm not good a budgeting and we are living close to the edge, so I'd be afraid of spending all my money before the summer was over if I had to save it up), no paid holidays (so I'd have periods of going without pay during school breaks, which there tend to be a lot of - again, I'm not great with budgeting so it's difficult) and then an unknown city with no telling how far I would have to commute. I'm not averse to moving, but it's a plunge I'm a little afraid of taking because I'm afraid I'll come out behind in the end. And then, as my coworker said, I wouldn't know anyone so I'd get the crappiest assignment and have to work my way up - again, because I've already done that here. The good positions will be taken by people who already work there. And they all say "competitive salary," but none of them say what that salary is - so I don't know what I'm even working with.

I complain a lot about money, but really I make way more than the average household income for where I live. What's got us is the fact that we bought a fixer-upper with an expensive mortgage and then DH lost his job. Combined, we used to make over six figures but I don't make that now. So it's not like I have a crappy job, I'm just in a crappy situation. DH likes to spend money and he likes to eat, and he likes to eat organic. And Rottweilers like to eat, too. Honestly, I can live on a shoestring (and have) but together we can't seem to.

I did sign my contract for next school year. I held out because I like to keep my options open, but they had a cut off date past which the offer was no longer valid, and I know they were trying to get rid of people through attrition so didn't want to take chances once it got up to the due date.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 06-16-2013 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    I complain a lot about money, but really I make way more than the average household income for where I live.
    I know what you mean. That's exactly how it is for me. I make more than almost everyone I know, but I'm still struggling. Having 6 lines with data on a cellular plan doesn't help, but that's only a part of the story. Gas, groceries, etc all went up exponentially while salaries have not. I don't know how anyone else manages.

That's good, Chrissy! I'm so glad you two are still moving forward.

Myles, nope, no way, I would not keep a secret for my brother (or sister, if I had one). Like others said, I wouldn't necessarily go spilling the beans, but I would not hide anything, either.

L, I'm sorry everyone is so tired and cranky! We are here, too. Hubby has worked SO MUCH lately. Didn't even come home some nights, and one night, he got home about 3 AM and left again for work at 6 AM. Trying desperately to get stuff finished so he doesn't have to work while we're in Hawaii. And on top of that, Maiya and I have been so busy, she has not been to bed on time once in the last week. Except today! Asleep at 7:30, phew. She was asleep at 10:30 three nights in a row, and still woke at her normal time. I can't imagine that times 3!

Jennifer, if I ever did those family stickers, I would totally add the dog and cat! What's a family without pets? And I know about an easy dog-sitter... It's been so "fun" having to budget for cat and dog sitters for 2 weeks... Ugh. Cat's easy, but the dog is high energy, not just anyone can watch him!

Oh, Chrissy, see, that's why we should talk about politics and such more. Bring those stalkers out of hiding!!

Aw, Mandy, I'm so glad your trip went so well, and how sweet about your friend! Sucks what she went through, though... Life can be so tough... It sounds like she is doing better for herself now, and that is good to hear!

And, really? Well thank you for mentioning that! Makes a Momma proud. I tried to write it the exact way she said it (I got it on video, yay!), so it should be fairly accurate. Her pronunciation is so bad, though... I'm constantly having to translate for people... So I am glad to know that at least her language is good!

That's great about your friend L. It's so nice to really talk to someone about this stuff, without judgements or false sympathies.

I'm so sorry you can't try a better doctor... I'm beginning to run in to that issue. The only injectables Kaiser will do is Menopur, and it isn't working for me. If I want to try a different one (and everyone tells me to try Follistim), I need to go see a different doctor and pay out of pocket. We can't afford that!

And my hubby is the same way! It's especially hard now that I'm not working and he makes all the money... He does not like to believe that he shouldn't spend hundreds of dollars a month on Starbucks, and hundreds more on eating out... <sigh>
    Last edited by Krystal5; 06-16-2013 at 09:43 PM.

Love your siggy pic!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Krystal5 View Post
    And, really? Well thank you for mentioning that! Makes a Momma proud. I tried to write it the exact way she said it (I got it on video, yay!), so it should be fairly accurate. Her pronunciation is so bad, though... I'm constantly having to translate for people... So I am glad to know that at least her language is good!
    Do keep an eye on that. She should start to get easier to understand pretty soon. If she doesn't, I'd have someone check it out.

Really? How soon is soon? The doctor didn't say anything at her 3 year check up, and the other moms I talk to say she's fine... Who would I talk to? Hopefully it doesn't come to that! But my brother had speech issues, so I guess I wouldn't be surprised... Thanks for the professional input!

It's a super complicated answer, and in my opinion, pedis know absolutely nothing about speech intelligibility so they are probably the last people I would turn to if I wanted an answer.

What I have seen as a general guideline is a stranger should understand about 75% of what a child says at three years and 100% at four years (which actually I think is insane because I don't know anyone who speaks perfectly clearly 100% of the time. But as a general rule of thumb).

Now, as for when to step in and give services, that's a matter of big debate. Where I work, basically I had to understand a child less than 50% of the time at three to provide services and less than 75% at four, combined with delays on specific sounds. It's hard for professionals to wrap their heads around the detail - not something I could convey in this space. But different professionals vary and the type of services will also vary (much harder to justify school based services, where a private clinic might take a kid earlier because it would be easier to treat younger, but they'd be looking for reimbursement through insurance or self-pay).

So if you came to me at work and I understood her 60% of the time, I'd probably tell you I had concerns but would want to wait and see how time deals with it - but as a friend I might tell you to keep an eye on it sooner than that. If you find yourself translating "most of the time" she might be less than 50% intelligible?

Understand I say all this, but I spent hours at work ranting about the screening teams when they sent me young three-year-olds with good language and a few speech sound errors. Some of the time once I saw the kid I did agree with them - and some of the time I didn't. It's something you have to develop an ear for so it's hard for me to convey it exactly in print.

This is a great site: http://speech-language-therapy.com/i...min&Itemid=117

The link above is to the page about speech intelligibility, but poke around as there is lots of information about speech sound development.

If you DO decide to get it screened (and I'm not pushing anything), you can start with your local school district - they are required to screen her for free if you ask. Just understand that they will be super conservative when it comes to actually providing services and a private agency might be more pro-active. There may be private clinics in your area who provide screenings for free (hoping to get your business when you pay for a full evaluation, but I would still trust their opinion for the screening).
    Last edited by Gwenn; 06-16-2013 at 11:31 PM.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Janet, what kinds of people do you end up translating for Maiya? Because I think she isn't that difficult to understand. But perhaps older adults, people without kids, cashiers in stores or other busy places or noisy places or people who might not be actually paying too much attention to her vocalizations among the other distractions may not be able to understand her - or other kids - that well. I have found that all of the above categories are the kinds of people I need to translate the most for.

I can't say that I am the best at assessing whether or not her pronunciation is on par with other 3-year-olds, because by the time my twins started talking they were speaking pretty clearly except for a few stereotypical toddler issues. S. is also speaking pretty clearly, and has been for a while, although I still need to translate for strangers in the categories I mentioned, and actually just today a stranger translated something he said for me (!). I thought he said elbow when he was making a shape with some ferro-fluid, but he was trying to say oval. So it happens to all of us. It seems particularly that people who are not often around young children seem to forget how to interpret the way they talk.

So I don't know what to say, either, except I understand her but I am definitely on the side of screening if there is any doubt and Gwenn is awesome.

Janet, maybe you can record her? I find myself translating occasionally when there really is no need (the speech is gone, but context might be lacking, for instance).

'Fine', not 'gone'.

Just found this chart (linked from the site I linked above) and it's really amazing in its level of detail. Might be too much detail but I haven't seen stuff spelled out this clearly anywhere else. Take a look if you like: http://speech-language-therapy.com/p...LeodBleile.pdf

And definitely people who are used to kids have an easier time understanding kid-speak. I totally "get" unintelligible kid speak so sometimes it can be hard for me to be accurate in judging how much a non-kid-friendly stranger would "get." I do think those rule-of-thumb "stranger" estimates are supposed to include various non-kid-friendly random strangers off the street, though.

It's funny how just context can change it, though. One little guy I was working with was super-hard to understand (he had a genuine speech disorder, not delay) and I was testing him. I showed him a picture with two shoes (one big, one little) and said this one is little, this one is .... and he said "boo." So naturally I restated, "blue" (the shoe WAS blue) and wrote it on my answer sheet. His mom looked at me and said, "He said big." This is one of the rare times I just flat-out didn't believe what the mother was saying - it sounded like blue and blue would have actually made sense for him to say, even though it wasn't the "right" answer. Then the mom said, "When he says 'boo' (she said this with a totally flat tone) he is saying 'blue', and when he says 'boo' (she made her voice go up and then down) he is saying 'big.' "

Okay, lady - you know your kid WAY better than I do and if you are getting that specific, I'll agree to trust you! I have never had a parent say that before or since, though!

Wow, thanks Mandy!! I didn't intend to pick your very impressive brain, but it is much appreciated. I have a hard time knowing how often she is understood. I "feel" like I am translating all the time, but sometimes it's one or two words. Often what she is saying can be picked up in context, but I get the feeling a lot of people only understand a part of what she says, and guess the rest, and then I still have some to translate. For example, she has a dog named Lacey, and I would say 0% of the people who hear her say that name (which is a LOT of people, because Lacey is a sparkly purse dog, and people LOVE her and she gets comments ALL THE TIME) get it right. Mostly they think she's saying "Daisy". Balloon is "a-boon". "While" in the her story sounds like "why". "Rush" is "wush". "Story" is "tory". "Diego" is "a-ego". "Oakland" is "Oatand". "Little" is "Dittle", or something. You get the idea. She often says things I can't understand, even, and I feel SO bad when that happens... But that's only like... Once or twice every day or two, so less than 1%, for sure.

Thanks so much, L, for your input! But you are so right. Other parents- particularly of young children- seem to do better with understanding her. But even her preschool teacher didn't SEEM to fully understand her. I could be wrong, though. It could just be that she was too busy to really listen, and it wasn't so much inability to understand as inability to pay attention! You definitley seem to understand her well, but even some of our playgroup parents seem to have trouble understanding her "frequently". Maybe it just seems frequent to me, or maybe, like Suja said, I just translate when it's unnecessary.

Suja, I record her a lot! I may be a bit obsessed, heh. I could post the video of this particular story. It's pretty long, though, because she talks slowly and gets distracted in the middle!

Maybe I should take a video and post it on APA and see how many people on here understand her! That would be a better judge than I am of how often strangers understand her, heh.

Ok, just for fun, here is the video of her telling the story. Ignore the mess that is my car, and the fact that her finger is in her nose half the time (getting over a cold...). She gets very, very quiet at the end of the story, but the first few minutes should give you the idea. I think she gets quiet because she is used to telling herself so many stories in bed, and if I hear her, I tell her to be quiet and go to sleep. So she has learned to be so quiet!

https://www.facebook.com/krystal5/me...type=3&theater
    Last edited by Krystal5; 06-17-2013 at 12:13 AM.

LOL ... you could post it, and add a poll with "all of the time", "most of the time", "some of the time", etc as responses and see what you get!

Actually most of the errors you describe at the word level seem very age-appropriate to me. It doesn't sound like she is "unintelligible" or L would have a hard time, too ... but like I said, just keep an eye on it and make sure she continues to get easier to understand. Given what you said I'm not worried yet but would expect to see some good gains over the next 6 months. Still - I haven't heard her. I'm just some know-it-all on the internet, so who am I to say? Ls and Rs take a long time to come in (R in particular can be as late as 7 years) and even K can take until 3.5 years before most kids get it. I'm not thrilled about her leaving off consonants at the beginning of a word - actually that is a problem. But I'm not sure if I would think it was a problem if I actually heard her, if you know what I mean. It might be more that she is switching syllables around (which is super-common, like the mythical kid who says "pasketti) rather than leaving sounds out).

I might just do that! Maybe tomorrow, while she's in school. I'll take fresh video, where people won't have the transcript laid out here to cheat with. ;) Sounds like fun, either way.

Glad to hear most of it is common and age-appropriate! I'll have to pay more attention to how many words she leaves the first sound off of... I know at least "Diego" and "balloon", though after listening to the story again, she does start saying "baboon", instead of "a-boon"...

Oh, and I did go back and edit my post, put in a link to the video! Should have done a new post. Here it is!

Ignore the mess that is my car, and the fact that her finger is in her nose half the time (getting over a cold...). She gets very, very quiet at the end of the story, but the first few minutes should give you the idea. I think she gets quiet because she is used to telling herself so many stories in bed, and if I hear her, I tell her to be quiet and go to sleep. So she has learned to be so quiet!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=3&theater

Oh, and I was watching old videos (did I mention I may be obsessed??), and she is DEFINITELY improving. So I'll pay attention, see if I can back off on translating some, see how she is doing around Christmas... Thanks!
    Last edited by Krystal5; 06-17-2013 at 12:33 AM.

Janet, just tried watching the video from my iPad but can't because it needs flashplayer. I'll watch it on my computer but not till tomorrow - it's late and I'm too lazy to get my laptop out. Remind me if I don't comment, okay? Otherwise I'll probably forget.

Somehow I wasn't too lazy to get my headphones out, but the laptop is beyond my abilities. Darn thing is heavy.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 06-17-2013 at 12:43 AM.

Myles I wouldn’t hold anything in. You are under no obligation to keep her secrets, sister or not.

Ash I am glad you are feeling better!

Mandy what a wonderful, wonderful trip you had!

Can I join the broke bandwagon? Considering the locale and the fact my commute is less than 10mins I make relatively decent money for this area (which isn’t saying much), but with DHs working coming and going it gets really tight. The reality is that even with me getting my degree, it is unlikely I’ll find another job making much more than what I already am, especially when you factor in the kind of drive I am going to have to make. It’s quite a depressing fact, the economy has really brought down wages

DH has mentioned before, but I always kind of blew him off, that he thought Nolan was flat footed. I was watching him this weekend and I think he might be right. I am not even sure what that entails Ugh, I really hate making pediatrician appointments. It quite literally takes up half a day and than I have to work 11-12 days the rest of the week. Anyway, woah is me, random moment.
    Speech is one of those things that make my head hurt. Nolan ‘can’ talk really really well, but his pronunciation gets lacking at times. Like he had bologna the other day (DH gets on fried bologna kicks on occasion..) and keeps asking for ‘yoney’ now and flip flops are ‘yip yops’. If I repeat the word and have him repeat it back he can usually get the pronunciation right though.

My tongue tie caused minor speech issues when I was younger, but my parents weren't exactly hands on and never paid attention I still can't say cin-na-mon, without thinking about it and saying it slowly. Actually that's true for most words that are similar.

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

No expert here Janet but it all sounds pretty normal for a just turned 3 yr old to me. Most kids that I have met do stuff like that. And I think L is right that it makes a difference who is listening to her. I remember translating a lot for my cousins when little for my DH. And it wasn't that I was around them much but that I have been around kids more in general. He has never really been around kids and has a slight hearing problem. He is one to not be a super multi-tasker and it's not uncommon that if i start talking and he's not paying enough attention that he's like what did you say? Or it sounded like you said...insert something weird....instead of the totally normal thing I said.
    I would just write down the cute ones....because someday you will look back and be like, remember when she used to say shruck intead of truck?

I'm ok now but once we have a kid, we will be on the broke bandwagon too. It's the single biggest reason why my DH isn't totally sold on having a kid.

Janet and Mandy I feel your pain in the cost of IF stuff! My only coverage for IF was the testing to show there is a problem. Any drugs, treatments is out of pocket. It's why we stopped that and didn't do much other than a few tries at clomid. Adoption is expensive too but the tax credit really helps us a lot there and at least for now we get a 5K assistance from work for it.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Janet, I had a bit of a hard time understanding her, with headphones on. I talk to a lot of Mira's classmates, and some of M's sounds seem more garbled than theirs. She seems to be substituting sounds (like tar for car), that I think she should have down by now? I'll post a video of Mira on FB. IIRC, the two girls are a month apart. But keep in mind that Mira is an extremely clear talker, always has been.
    Last edited by Suja; 06-17-2013 at 09:23 AM.

Josh can be hard to understand because he talks so fast and he makes references and words things in ways that I understand but someone else wouldn't. He says a few odd things, like he can read the word "behind" but he says it "binhind" and a couple other things like that. I don't know if I should be concerned because I feel like he's ahead of the curve in pretty much everything so I don't know if I should be picky about a few speech quirks.

Watched the video. Aside from being totally adorable, I did find her fairly hard to understand - though just in the context of that story, she did seem to pick a lot of words with the /k/ sound, which she had trouble with. I think I'm going with what I said above. Take a little time to wait and see how it goes and reconsider, when she's about 3 years, 6 months. Suja, the references I have for the t/k substitution state should be gone by age 3 years, 6 months - although that page I linked to last night said girls should have /k/ down by 3 years 0 months. That seems a little young for me. I argued once with a woman who had been practicing for 30 years or so and she didn't think I should send her kids with /k/ goals younger than age 4 - that was the old school mentality. Typically we use that age at which 90% of children say a sound correctly 90% of the time - which is actually really strict if you think about it. Using that frame of reference, if it isn't in by 3;6 it's delayed and an appropriate target for treatment.

How is her /f/ in a word like "fish" or "fun"? I heard a nice /f/ at the end of a word but heard her switch t/f at the beginning of a word, but I think it was the context of the sentence.

I didn't mean to start a general panic! Kate, everyone has occasional words they say funky - totally normal for kids to do that. Don't get hung up on one word or another. It's when there is a pattern that gets in the way (like always switching the /k/ sound for a /t/ sound) that speech therapists are concerned. And Christina, Nolan is a tiny. Two is way young to worry about speech sounds. I won't say I never think kids should work on speech sounds at two, but it's rare and only when there are signs of a major disorder and not just a few sounds lagging behind. Like, if he only had one or two sounds and everything sounded like "da da da da da" I would tell you to get him in speech immediately. But sound substitution stuff - most of that is totally normal for a two-year-old.

Speaking of 2 year old speech issues, A has started his speech therapy. I think we've had 4 visits so far with not a whole lot of progress. The only words he consistently says are mama, dada, dog, up, more, ya and no. He's maybe said a few other things once or twice but then that's it. We've started working more on signing while saying the word the last two weeks and he is picking up on those quickly (he's signing more, please, thank you, eat and all done). It's frustrating, because he wants to communicate with words so bad but just can't seem to figure it out.
    AKA Lisa724

I'm glad you started signing! That's a really great way to see progress. It does take time, unfortunately.

My tips - teach him signs for specific things he likes. Ball, milk, banana, etc. That way he knows to use a specific word to get what he wants. It's very common to start with signing "more" and then the kid learns "more" means "I want." Next thing you know, you're sitting on the couch and he walks up to you and signs "more" and you are wondering, "more what?" And then you're back to the guessing game. Doesn't teach the message you are trying to teach, that using a word will get him something right away. Even verbs, "eat," "drink," "play" will get him what he wants more quickly.

Just a soap box for me - I get really frustrated trying to un-teach "more" after kids have turned it into an all-purpose word. But actually most therapists start by teaching "more" so it's just a pet peeve I'm going to have to deal with.

What would we do without you, Mandy!

Mandy, I wondered about the t/k substitution, because my neighbor's daughter used to do it (also, g/d). We'd say 'Kangaroo', she's say 'tandaroo', and then get all upset when we didn't agree that she was saying it correctly. She did go to speech therapy for those two sounds, around age 3 or 3.5, IIRC (she's 14 now, so my memory is quite wobbly). Wouldn't say a word at the therapist's office, but worked on the exercises at home, and it was quite easily corrected. I only have some idea about the timeline because she had mastered a bicycle by 3.5, and that was around the time she was also working on the sounds.

In non-speech news, I finally found and ordered Mira's bed online. It's this thing: http://www.zulily.com/p/white-sleigh...2-3918701.html I would've liked something that is a better quality, since I'd like this to be her bed until she goes off to college, but man is it hard to find storage beds in white without paying an arm and a leg! I also got her a storage bench thing, and a matching small bookshelf (bookshelf #3, but this will be just her books). After that, we're totally out of space, so no more furniture. I'd like to get a nice canopy to encourage the whole sleeping in bed by herself thing, but the shipping on the canopy/things to make the canopy look nice was a deal breaker. I'll get it when Amazon has something nice again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I know, right? I know that as a mom, Mandy is the last word for me on APA on a lot of speech/development issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Probably worry a lot less!

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    I know, right? I know that as a mom, Mandy is the last word for me on APA on a lot of speech/development issues.
    Thanks. Really. But as you noted with your neighbor's kid, from one therapist to another there can be a difference in what is a problem. I am actually pretty conservative with speech sound stuff, but really push to get kids early when they are having trouble with using words (like A above). Another therapist might take the opposite approach. So professionally I don't think I know even close to everything there is to know, but I do like to share what I DO know with moms who are wondering. One of the ways I can give back, even if I do struggle with money.