Page 1402 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 4029021302135213921400140114021403140414121452 ... LastLast
Results 42,031 to 42,060 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by CamaLamaMama View Post
    I am insanely busy with work this week, popping in to say

Me too. I hope I get 3 days of relative 'quiet'

I have to find some place to park my car. I don't have a driveway and my town is having their annual Strawberry Festival. For some reason we're not allowed to park on the street even though ours isn't directly involved.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Bridget what an awful, rude woman. I am glad you were still able to enjoy your day though!

I go through phases where I enjoy cooking and than I don't. I've been feeling a bit burnt out on it lately (the swollen ankles after work aren't helping the whole stand at the stove and cook dinner thing). DH cooks on the weekends if he is home (99% of the time he's grilling which is fine by me), but more often than not it is on me and I just get bored with it. I'm not a good cook by nature and it is hard for me. DH on the other hand can just throw together random stuff and it'll be the most amazing thing you ever ate, jerk If it were not for the crock pot I can guarantee there would be a lot of fast food nights for us lately.......

I love Chinese.... Actually I love fried rice and egg rolls, both smothered in soy sauce.

Ash I hate that your still feeling crummy

I just need to complain about how freaking hot it has been. It's killing me. Having no A/C in my car is like my own piece of torture everyday and I've been totally crapping out on walking in the evening and I've been hiding in the A/C in the house

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

We were going to try a place by us that serves cajun type food. Something we have never had before. something else was going on and we couldn't find parking so just went to a local pub that has great burgers and chicken sandwiches.

I generally like cooking but I also really like eating and am always hungry for dinner and at night.

Turns out it was a mouse next in my A/C unit and the wires were chewed. Dh said the guy cleaned it out and used silicone to help make the hole smaller. $75....so I'm happy it was a cheap repair. I would have been MAD if it was the motor or something because it is only 3 yrs old.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Yay for a cheap fix!!!

I was going to post more about food but I'll refrain so Ash doesn't have to deal with it I'm sorry you're still sick and I hope you're all the way better really soon!

Bridget, I'm sorry that woman was crappy to you. It sounds like she thinks all kids are terrors. There's a woman who works on the children's floor of the library who is grumpy all the time and I just wonder why people like that choose to work around kids. She could go be grumpy on the grownup floor. Josh doesn't care though, he goes skipping up to her with his list of books he wants to find and asks her to write down the call numbers of all of them.

Remember I shared Josh's lego blog with you guys? Well, actually I think I shared it on general facebook, so if you guys missed it I can PM it to you. Anyway, I realized you can't leave comments unless you have a user name, so don't worry about that.

Wednesday was show and tell and he brought one of his lego creations to school. He wanted to give out the blog web address to all his classmates, and he started writing "Josh's lego blog" on 23 sticky notes. No web address or anything. So I wrote the web address on a sticky note and stuck it in his folder. The teacher looked at the page on her own and then let Josh come up and show it to the class. He was so proud

That is so cool for Josh!!! His lego creations are great. I love it when you share them.

Ash, for man flu you're doing very well at not complaining too much. I'm not sure it's really man flu, with how little you're complaining. I'm sorry you're still sick, though. Did anyone else in your family get it?

Bridget, WOW on that awful lady at the museum! I hate it when people treat kids/families like that. You handled it really gracefully, but I'm so glad you filled out a comment form. Someone deserves to know how rude she was to you.

Janet, I love Maiya's story! That's the cutest thing. I like all of the names of the kids who are going on the rides -- it tickles me how incredibly specific kids are at this age. She's a crack-up!

Chrissy, awwww on the ILU. That's so sweet. Glad things are still going well... I know it's a bit of a roller coaster with everything else you both have going on.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Quote Originally Posted by pepperlru View Post
    Chrissy, awwww on the ILU. That's so sweet. Glad things are still going well... I know it's a bit of a roller coaster with everything else you both have going on.
    It has been but when I think about all the things the two of us are dealing with-outside of each other-it's really amazing we can still get together and have fun or simply enjoy each other.

I've tried to keep the man flu complaining to a minimum as I was getting sick of seeing myself talk about it so much here and on Facebook. I thought I was in the clear as of 5pm, so I ate a banana as advised by the brat diet. That was a huge mistake, which sent me running to the toilet. The only thing I'm managing to appease tummy with istoast.

I might have to ring the emergency Dr tomorrow if this keeps up. I am wasting away! (Now, if that's not dramatic enough to be man flu, I don't know what is!)

Oh Ash, it sounds dreadful!

I got inspired to add some pics to my Lego album on facebook. Take a look at it any time you want I like how Josh's blog lets you add pictures from facebook. So easy!

How many days has it been again Ash? A good strong flu can take a number of days to get alone. Just keep trying to stay hydrated. If toast is ok do that. I would maybe try rice next. Or plain unsweetened applesauce. But really push the fluids much as you can. If water is ok, try some clear broth. Or jello if you like that (I would try something like green jello before red).

You aren't going to waste away. The crummy thing is once you get eating and drinking again, all that water weight you lose with the flu flies right back on.
    Last edited by Cosmosmom; 06-14-2013 at 12:31 PM.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Ash, I'm so sorry you're feeling so rough! I hope you are feeling better soon. And thanks about her story, she loves telling stories. In fact, usually she tells them to herself for two hours straight when I put her to bed... <sigh>

Chrissy, despite the circumstances, it is nice he said it!

Jennifer, glad that's all it was! How frustrating, though. A mouse, in only 3 years!

"Josh's Lego Blog", too cute!! Just out of curiosity, I Googled that. Not sure if I found the blog, or not, though.

Gretchen, thanks! Typical Maiya style, though, those aren't all kids. Mugen is her (human) friend who has been in Japan for two months, and she is SO excited to see him again, but our schedules don't match up until Tuesday. Kaori is his mom. Evie is our cat. Mark is our dairy farmer, and Ruby and Max are his dogs. So, 3 people, 3 animals. Nice balance, hah.

Quote Originally Posted by Krystal5 View Post
    Chrissy, despite the circumstances, it is nice he said it!
    It wasn't a big deal really. It was completely a misunderstanding. I thought he was dumping me, and what he was really doing is asking me where I saw us going. He even mentioned living together in a serious way, not joking around like we've done in the past. Not right away-he was asking if that's where I saw it leading. I was like...duh. I wouldn't be involved if I didn't think at this point it was a possibility.

Here's the thing about my sister. I could get a perfectly heartfelt-sounding e-mail like this...

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Saturday, June 15, 2013 11:14 AM
    To: Myles
    Subject: Hope you're ok

Hi there: please know that I'm thinking about you and hope you're alright. If you ever want to talk, the door is wide open. Things are just not always as they seem. Your sister always.

...and be twisted up in fury for hours. She sounds so nice and concerned, right? Not at all pathological, right? You'd almost be able to forget the endless lie and condescension parade she subjected me and Steve to at any point we've challenged her. I recently learned from a mutual that she moved out of the house she shared with her husband quite awhile back, presumably in with the lover. When my mother called me this week to make plans about her next visit, mom says, "You won't mind if we stay with you the whole time? We can't stay with your sister and C (her husband) because C's friend has been living with them since back in February.

Huh?!? So now my parents don't even know where she truly lives now. I guess Steve and I have to keep our lips pursed about that now too. Her lies are ridiculous.

And again the same stupid line above: "Things are just not always as they seem." She keeps saying that. I last told her repeatedly that if there's more to tell me, she's free to write to me with the full story if she wishes, but that's about as much as I'm willing to give her my time. She then accused me of wanting her to write everything down so I can use her letter against her. Um, isn't this the letter that's going to tell me how things ARE instead of how they seem, the one that will absolve her of much of the undeserved malignment I put her through? What could it contain that I'd use against her? Knowing her, if she really had a way of shining a positive light on the past, she would have trotted it out by now. She plays her best cards up front. She's just trying to get me to talk to her again, and if I did, would conveniently gloss over any direct discussion about our issues in favor of shopping and pedicures. Last time, I let her back in because she went into rehab, and she kept calling me from there promising me we'd talk about our disagreement. That never happened.

So anyway, in my mind, I'm leaving the door open for her. I'm not walking through any door she's leaving open for me. Knowing her, that door is the Gates of Hades.

So here's the question of the day: how long should I be expected to keep her secret from my parents that she's left her husband? It makes me want to vomit that I'm helping her conceal anything.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

What a can of worms. I would agree to talk to her only in the presence of a third-party mediator, like a therapist or a counselor or a bottle of gin.

All of my kids are sleep-deprived and cranky. And so am I. DH slept 10 hours last night but he's cranky too. I'm hoping to get them to bed early tonight.

Ash, I haven't commented on your man-flu yet because I've been feeling so busy and I've been working a lot and have just been scrambling to catch up and do the basic necessities, but I'm so sorry you're feeling sick. I hate stomach stuff with a passion. I don't know why you're calling it the man-flu, though. Did I miss that? Is it just because you think you're complaining? GI stuff is well worth complaining about, in my opinion. I can have a headache that can slur my speech and make it impossible to do simple math, and I will still prefer that over one episode of vomiting or one stomach cramp.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    So here's the question of the day: how long should I be expected to keep her secret from my parents that she's left her husband? It makes me want to vomit that I'm helping her conceal anything.
    In light of my previous post, I would say if anything makes you want to vomit, get rid of it. Don't keep secrets. Just assume they would know, since she is their daughter and she would normally be expected to keep them posted of most major events. She is no longer living there. You may not know details, but even her neighbors probably know. Why not your parents? Just let them know they should ask her if they want to know why/how/what/where/when because you are not in contact any more.

Steve says the same thing, L. I just have to mentally prepare for the fallout and flames from her if I do spill to my parents. I really have no desire to reunite with her nor faith that any efforts would have happy endings.

Ash, I'm sorry about my self-absorption today and not acknowledging that you're still sick. I suck. I truly hope the end of your illness is very near. Hugs, mama!

Myles, I think that you have done well in keeping up the charade this long. If my parents had said that, I'd have answered with 'Wait, so she's back with C?' IMO, you are under no obligation to lie on her behalf.

I wouldn't keep her secret and I wouldn't let her give me sh!t for it either. There's nothing in this world that says you have to have anything to do with your sister. And harassment is illegal.

Hugs Myles. Normally i would be pro keeping sibling secrets from parents BUT not in your case. I don't know that I would go out of my way to tell them but I certainly wouldn't hide anything if it came up in conversation.

Dh and I finished the parade of homes yesterday and again came away feeling that I still loved my house best even though mine to build plus land was like half the price of these that didn't include the land. And I realized that I am spoiled and if we ever HAD to move from my city, after we rented a bit, I would really want to do another custom. There was stuff in all of them that I didn't like but in my house, it's like yup I love my floors, yup I love my light fixtures, yup I love my layout, yup I love my cabinets.

I heard that my mom would seriously consider moving if my sister gets the job in the fargo area....but she doesn't want to change states and so would be looking around me. I thought my DH would start to moan at that but he was like cool....someone to easily babysit the dogs. LOL

Last night I ordered family stickers for my minivan. You know those white stick figure like ones that you generally see on minivans. Mine has us plus the dogs. If figure we can add a baby sticker when we get one. DH thinks it's a bit dorky but I don't care. LOL

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Just to bring my whining about my man flu to an end, I woke up this morning and was actually hungry and ready to eat! Yay! So in conclusion, I am not going to die of starvation! Woot!

Myles, I think I'd mention to your parents about your sister. You don't owe her anything. Unless you think that telling them would cause them some kind of harm, I'd fill them in with what's happened.

And don't talk about self-absorption in relation to yourself because if anyone has been self-absorbed lately, it has been me and my woe is me. I am back in good spirits now and ready to catch up on all the food talk that I have missed.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    And don't talk about self-absorption in relation to yourself because if anyone has been self-absorbed lately, it has been me and my woe is me. I am back in good spirits now and ready to catch up on all the food talk that I have missed.
    You can both knock it off with that 'self-absorption' talk! (I'm using my mom voice here). That's what is so great about our corner of the world. We can get the support we need. Anyway, what the heck would we talk about if we weren't sharing the stories about what's going on in our lives? We do talk about other stuff-politics, religion, etc. but we have to keep that to a minimum or else we'll get dinged by stalkers that don't agree with us.

Anyway, I'm sure I can speak for everyone else when I say that we like knowing what's going on in our friends lives. Because we care.

...and now to post about me, which is the real reason I came here.

j/k. I'm being lazy today. Not much to tell.

Well, given that, I'll pop my head in and say I've been following in here but haven't posted since my trip because I didn't want to catch up on everything I hadn't responded to and didn't want to, well, seem totally self-absorbed. Which I am.

But I will take this time to say what a FANTASTIC time I had on my trip. Had really fabulous chats with my sister, my brother and almost-SIL (brother's gf of 8 years), my niece and nephew, three of my very closest friends from growing up, and one (former) APA member! Just typing that out, I'm exhausted! I've spent the last week recovering. It really brought home to me what an amazing group of people I am blessed to have in my life. I wish I were closer to all of them.

The last day of my trip, I had a dinner with two of my dear friends from growing up. One of them I haven't seen in at least 20 years and the other I think it's been 18 years. We had some really deep discussions of things that had been going on in all our lives. One friend (D) I had been in pretty close contact with for a while and then we lost touch. I had known things were hard for her, she had an eating disorder and had been very sick and dropped out of college with mono and never seemed to get her life back together. I had from another friend (who no longer lives in the area but whom I have been in touch with more recently) that she had some deep issues but never heard anything more than that. Well, D confessed that she had been in an abusive relationship for years and had pushed everyone away from her. I was so far away that it just slipped between the cracks. She drove me home afterwards and I just thought about everything and just felt how much I had missed from everyone's lives, moving across the country. I told her how much I regretted not being there for her. She gave me a big hug, and told me, "Let's look at it this way. We were great friends as children, before our lives filled up with drama. Then we both had the opportunity to mature without our drama getting in each other's way. Now, we have moved past the drama and can just be friends."

I'm crying just writing that out. I am SO glad I went on this trip. I wouldn't have missed sharing that evening with those girls for the world.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Awww...Mandy, it sounds like that trip was a meant-to-be one. It's so common for women (I'm sure men as well) to withdraw from family and friends when they're in abusive relationships, yet we still assume it's something to do with us when our friend/family 'disappear' on us. I'm guilty of that as well. But, I'm not sure much can be done about it even if the friend/family member knows or suspects what's going on. It's probably best you didn't know because you would have spent years only feeling anxious and worried for her. Sometimes, ignorance is bliss and it sounds like she made it through all right.

I wasn't going to go back over everything I've missed, but Janet, I did want to point out that I am super impressed by that story of Maiya's. Coming from someone who gets paid to analyze kid's language samples, that was really excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Awww...Mandy, it sounds like that trip was a meant-to-be one. It's so common for women (I'm sure men as well) to withdraw from family and friends when they're in abusive relationships, yet we still assume it's something to do with us when our friend/family 'disappear' on us. I'm guilty of that as well. But, I'm not sure much can be done about it even if the friend/family member knows or suspects what's going on. It's probably best you didn't know because you would have spent years only feeling anxious and worried for her. Sometimes, ignorance is bliss and it sounds like she made it through all right.
    I know you are right. She was telling our other friend, L, that she really made an effort to distance herself from her because she just couldn't handle it if their friendship deteriorated over this relationship. She had some other friends that she wasn't as close to who she kept more in contact with - because she didn't value their friendship as much. Twisted logic, but it does make sense when you think about it.

I think I will always worry about her - but she is doing as well as she can.

And our other friend, L, has recently had a baby and I'm really proud of the fact that I was able to just be straight with them about my fertility issues. D's sister STC for 9 years so we ended up having a long talk about all I've been through. They both think I need to come to NYC and see a better doctor. I actually do talk about fertility stuff at work - it's not a deep dark secret for me - but it felt really awesome to just talk about everything with friends, right there, and have a really in depth discussion. Bonus points to both me and L that I didn't let the fact that she had a brand-new baby get in the way, and she was able to just talk about her own journey (pg first month trying at age 38) totally matter-of-factly without in any way making me feel uncomfortable with her. Looking back, I'm impressed we managed that conversation. But she had some great insights to share with me and concerns she raised. I really thought it was funny that I mentioned that I had a forum I went to for advice and she nodded her head and said, "of course." First person I know IRL who doesn't think I'm insane!

Have I mentioned I had a really fabulous time?

It sounds like it! And it sounds like you have some great friend irl too! Would going to NYC to see a better doctor be an option?