Page 1396 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 3968961296134613861394139513961397139814061446 ... LastLast
Results 41,851 to 41,880 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

Ha! It's ok. I had and have a good sense of humor about it. My cousins used to call me it because they thought it was funny, then it re-surfaced when I worked at a childcare center because it's what my name sounds like when toddlers say it. And then again, in Hawaii, because I brilliantly told the story one night after cocktails with my co-workers. Todd the bartender still calls me "Birdie" on the rare occasion we communicate.

Josh's class visited a fire house the other day and he told me the fire fighters told him to wave a shirt in the window if he's in his room and there's a fire, so the fire fighters will know he's there. I told him to climb out his window and drop onto the kitchen roof and then to the ground, but he insisted that he should just stay in his room and wave a shirt so the fire fighters would see him. He said "You guys can tell the fire fighters I'm there" and then we got into the scary territory like what if DH and I pass out from smoke inhalation and can't tell anyone that Josh is up there. I didn't want to scare him too much but I also don't want him to die in a fire because he stayed up in his room and waved a shirt around.

But yes he knows about 911 and all that.

Oh Kate. I hate those conversations too. They never get easy.

I've had one heck of a day. Reunion is still going on, and immediately after that I had to haul ass to take Syd shopping for a formal dress (she picked a cute one! It's perfect!). But I didn't get home till 9:00 p.m. A full 14 hour day of running for me. I'm tired. I'm getting cranky. And I had a notice that my gas was shut off due to non-payment! WTF?! I PAID THEM!!!!!! To top it all off, I cannot call and talk to anyone about it because it was after 7:00 p.m. I'm ready to seriously land myself in jail I'm so pissed off. They must have shut off the wrong apartment because there's no way. I wasn't even a month behind or anything. God I could choke someone.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Chrissy.

Reunion hell. Far too much went wrong to really post about it. It could be a book. In summary, IT is the ugly, unwanted stepchildren of Alumni Affairs. For some reason they forgot us on each and every detail of the entire thing. We didn't get water bottles (we run around campus for 12 hours straight setting up 100 computers, 25 printers). Last year they gave us 5-6 water bottles each and told us to come back to the 'war room' if we needed more.

But that wasn't all. They always provide all meals for the staff during reunion. Except on IT's set-up day, they decided all of alumni affairs (minus IT) would go somewhere else for lunch. Only, they didn't tell us. We were running behind and didn't get lunch break till 2, but there was nothing to eat and we had to scramble to find stuff. It would have been nice to have a heads up. We could have come prepared.

We didn't even have a work space in 'war room' or anywhere. No tables-nothing. We lived out of our cars all day Wednesday.

There were details like-one building was supposed to have 2 computers set up outside under a tent...except the alumni affairs people that decided that neglected to tell us or the computer rental company. People in that building were pissed and one old biddy told us all about ourselves, and took our names down. While I was on the phone trying to figure out what the deal was, I overheard one person from that building huff to another, "They obviously do not communicate from one department to another." As pissed as I was at my own dept, I still felt a pang of defensiveness for them. But I didn't say anything because she was right. They didn't communicate a whole lot of things.

This rental company has been used for years and it's clearly time to move on. We had an issue at each and every set up. The printers were failing to work because of their archaic configuration. We really struggled with them last year, and I remember telling our users/clerks/staff to reboot the laptops every 2-3 hours because they'd suddenly fail to print. We were very vocal last year about that, yet the rental company came with the same configuration...and this year it was worse. Much, much worse.

Two times 'printer guy' from the rental company called me with suggestions of how we should now start setting them up (basically, trying to use a different driver). Both times it caused my functioning laptops to not only stop printing, but getting them printing again took 30-45 minutes worth of effort. The 3rd time he tried to pull that on me, I actually yelled at him on the phone and told him there was no way I was doing that. We were already hours behind, he'd already doubled my work load, and he could come in behind me and "just make the printers work" because I was moving on to the next building.

Our own staff continuously called us because the entire print network kept going down in the 'war room' That left me hauling Randall across campus, dumping him off, running to where "we" were supposed to be and doing the work of 2 people by myself until he called and I'd go running off to pick him up again.

Cornell got to be real asses about parking too. We had to register our cars because if we were found parked somewhere we weren't supposed to be, they'd haul them. Parking is a nightmare in the best of circumstances. Get 100's of venders all trying to deliver to the same buildings on the same day--well, I ended up wasting a good 10-15 minutes per building just looking for some place to park. I had the magic "MT" permit which allows me to get very, very close, but the buildings would only have 1-3 MT slots at each one.

Utter, complete nightmare. It's not the technical stuff that really has me pissed off though. It's the attitude we got from our own colleagues, the fact that they didn't think to provide us water, tables, or even a f'n lunch while they all stuffed their faces on our 12-hour day. And THEN they'd call and say, "the printers aren't working again. you need to get over here and do something about it" Um, excuse me? Why can't you forget our numbers as easily as you forgot we'd need a workspace?

Jerks.

/rant

ps-the work spaces is really a big deal because we're there thru Saturday. I don't know where they expected us to be during that time?

Oh, and yesterday we were told to go ahead and 'drag a table' to the back of the room and use that. So we did. At 7:45 pm when we finally returned, our table was gone, our box of gear was dumped, and someone had Faye's personal iphone charger plugged into a wall. Faye had to wander around looking for her personal belonging!

Holy he'll, Chrissy. That is awful.

It really is. And that's just my brief summary.

Will there be any way for you to make your concerns known?

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Will there be any way for you to make your concerns known?
    We did in a mini-session this morning and the head of alumni affairs looked right at me and said, "You need to take it down a notch. Stuff happens."

Our director isn't happy. She's going to address it. Since IT in AA&D has always been treated like sewage, I doubt any good will come of it. If anything, we may actually get to use a different computer rental company next year (as 'we' suggested last year, and the year before). Alumni Affairs actually chooses the company. They're supposed to take our input but thus far haven't.

Faye & Scott's very first building of the morning had a woman literally screaming at them that they could not set up the computers yet as the table clothes weren't on them. She got Scott to help carry in a large bolt of cloth, then snapped that they still couldn't set them up because the students needed to cut it into table clothes. From what I hear, she was very rude. Scott said he never saw anyone so out of control over table clothes before. And the day just went downhill from there.

The thing is, the computer set up schedule is created weeks in advance and is signed off on by every pertinent person that has anything to do with that room, building, and whatever graduating class's 'reunion' is going to be hosted there. As well as AA&D and IT.

ETA: This one is actually funny. For the rest of the day, and even today, we'd jump into conversations with, "you can't do that without the table clothes!" People looked at us like we were nuts, but we were laughing. I think that's going to be a pet phrase around the office for a long time to come.
    Last edited by missychrissy; 06-06-2013 at 11:00 PM.

Boy, Chrissy! It ends soon, right? And I hope that gas is back on.

My cousin posted this morning that she let her little dog, Coco out and she didn't return. A bunch of people in her town started posting that the coyotes are bad right now (northern wi). A few minutes later she posted she found her and she is badly injured. The latest update is that they don't know if she will survive The vet thinks a hawk or an eagle had her but no one really knows. This is my same cousin who in in remission from breast cancer and I know this little dog means the world to her. I hope he is going to be ok.

Chrissy that sounds like your own little piece of hll. We our IT people here, they rock our socks, and we tell them as much!

Bridget how incredibly awful, I really hope little Coco pulls through

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Yikes Chrissy....I hope the rest of the day goes better and this is over soon. I know how much you dread reunion!

Oh no Bridget. I am really hoping that Coco is ok! I know I see coyotes and hawks and owls and such by me...and it's one of the reasons I don't let the girls outside unless I'm with them especially since our only fence is an invisible electronic one. So hard to imagine seeing one of mine like that....

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

That's awful, Bridget. I hope Coco will pull through. Do you know what kind of a dog/how big she is?

In other news, remember how I said I'll get one of the nephews for a bit? It looks like I'll be getting both the nephews, and BIL's mom for at least a couple of days, because he has to travel, and his mom isn't comfortable staying there. The good news is, they'll be coming the evening the house gets cleaned, so at least I don't have to worry about that. Just the cooking.

We've been running for 3 hours. This is my first chance to sit a minute. We're (me & Faye) are covering reunion till 1:30, then tomorrow I work it alone 1:30-6 and that's it. I can't wait.

I called the gas company in the midst of work chaos and even though they admitted it was their error, they insisted I have someone over 18 there when they came to turn it back on or else. I said, "I don't care what you have to do. This was your mistake, it will be turned on today and me leaving work is not an option. If you cannot do this, my next phone call will be to an attorney to see what damages I can sue for." She put me on hold and came back to inform me that the gas would be turned back on.

I have Bobbie trying to message me that she doesn't have gas, grocery, or cat litter. Have I mentioned I'm SWAMPED at work, most especially during reunion? I don't know wtf she expects of me.

Did Bobbie move out? This might be the time to say 'I'm sorry to hear that, but you need to budget better' or something along those lines. Maybe leave it open ended whether you can help out or not.

Today's reunion drama--no lunch for IT again today. Alumni Affairs (minus their IT) are in Barton Hall at some event they were all informed they'd have to pre-register for. We were not given that option.

AND-we were asked to not to use the Alumni Affairs Staff parking lot across the street, but rather another one further down the hill (so we can walk UP).

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Did Bobbie move out? This might be the time to say 'I'm sorry to hear that, but you need to budget better' or something along those lines. Maybe leave it open ended whether you can help out or not.
    No, she's made no move to move out and I've told her emphatically she needs to. In NY, though, I'd have to file court papers to have her evicted.

I am not going to help her. She's completely on her own. I don't know what she's doing with her paycheck.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    No, she's made no move to move out and I've told her emphatically she needs to. In NY, though, I'd have to file court papers to have her evicted.

I am not going to help her. She's completely on her own. I don't know what she's doing with her paycheck.
    I think that's the perfect course of action. I am sorry you are dealing with so much right now Chrissy

I'm not sure I'd be able to do it, but that's what I'd want to do, in your shoes, Chrissy. But, I'd buy cat litter. Don't want the house turned into cat toilet.

Wow you have to do court work to evict someone who isn't even on the lease? But yeah I would try to do what you are doing. At some point you have to grow up and be at least a little responsible.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Oh, in other news, I have officially caved, and turned the kidlet's room into some sort of princess nightmare. I had bought a bunch of wall decal thingies, thinking they'd be you know, normal sized, and these are XXXL! Now, there are princesses and castles and whatnot, growing out the wazoo!

LOL Suja! Does she like it? Josh has Hobbit decals in his room, even though he's never seen the movie. He's read the book (or had it read to him, rather)

Chrissy, I agree I'd take care of the cat but for the cat's sake, not Bobbie's.

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    I think that's the perfect course of action. I am sorry you are dealing with so much right now Chrissy
    I really don't have it in me to deal with all that right now. My priority, as soon as I recover from this week of hell at work, is to file a petition to get custody of Conner & Syd. That'll be enough court action for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    I'm not sure I'd be able to do it, but that's what I'd want to do, in your shoes, Chrissy. But, I'd buy cat litter. Don't want the house turned into cat toilet.
    For sure. I'll be getting kitty litter on my way home. A ton of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Wow you have to do court work to evict someone who isn't even on the lease? But yeah I would try to do what you are doing. At some point you have to grow up and be at least a little responsible.
    Yeah, once someone stays in your residence for 28 consecutive days, it's legally 'their' residence and only a judge can order them out.

Oh Jeez! Have you talked to Syd about it? What a lot to deal with right now? I hope your life starts running smoother, and soon.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    LOL Suja! Does she like it?
    She hasn't seen it yet. It's a surprise!

I am hoping that she'll get her white belt today. She has to recite her student creed. She knows it, but either will get all shy and won't say it at all, or will mumble, so no one can understand a darn thing. Then, I can tell her that because she was so brave, there might be something good waiting for her at home.

Hugs Chrissy. It seems like she picks the worst times to stress you out. I'm sure you probably wouldn't want to do this but maybe threaten that if she doesn't take care of her pet, the pet will be finding a new home?

NY has some crazy laws! I never heard of someone living someplace not on the loan, deed, or lease having "rights" to stay.

At the very least, she's got to learn you aren't a personal ATM.

Suja....I bet she loves the room and that it's really cute!

OMG I tried to watch the hobbit and lasted an hour. I am just so not a fan of any of the LOTR. And I like some fantasy and sci-fy. DH loves the books and movies.

I have Snoopy decals in the closet waiting to be put up in the Snoopy nursery. Whenever I get around to doing that.

My MIL is putting the house up for sale so whenver that sells we will be almost certainly going down and helping pack and such. She is definitely going by her dad first....he shouldn't be living alone and her costs will be quite low living with him so it's the best solution.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post

Yeah, once someone stays in your residence for 28 consecutive days, it's legally 'their' residence and only a judge can order them out.
    Here it is 3 days and than you have to give them a 30 day eviction notice. It's quite ridiculous if you ask me