Page 1381 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 38188112811331137113791380138113821383139114311481 ... LastLast
Results 41,401 to 41,430 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by pepperlru View Post
    ... Benedict Cumberbatch is great. DD1 and I both like him a lot, especially in the Sherlock series from BBC. Have you watched those? They're SO good, and he's fantastic. We've been dying to see him in Star Trek, but had too busy a weekend to fit it in. We will soon, though. Did you like the rest of the movie, too? I'm hoping it's as entertaining as the first.
    I think I might have even liked this 2nd one better. I am so taken by the whole J.J. Abrams team, ever since Lost. We're really excited about the new Star Wars too. I'd be curious to see Peter Jackson try to tell the same story of this most recent Star Trek, though, as I have a feeling he'd tell an even more incredible story. I mean, there are parts where much of the story is told in dialogue, and I imagine PJ would have chosen to use a flashback scene that would have made the story richer.

And no, I haven't seen Sherlock yet! We've gone all Apple TV/Netflix in our house, so I have to check if there's a BBC App we can use to check out their shows.

Cool pic, Myles! and yes I am curious who the rocker dude is. LOL I also liked what you said about connecting with people. Like I've said before, movies and books and tv shows like to center on females who have awesome friendships and I think it makes women (me, at least) feel like there's something wrong with them if they don't have that.

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    I have been slowly, but surely, getting rid of 'friends' on facebook. It takes a lot of work doing it and I am pretty lazy about it What's funny is that they keep re-friending me after I delete them
    I use the Block feature when I unfriend. So you go to their profile, click the "Friend" button and instead of "Unfriend", "Block" is another one of your options. Using "Block", you automatically unfriend, and it makes it very hard for them to find you (although not impossible, I've learned) after that point.
    Last edited by demigraf; 05-20-2013 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Close parentheses :)

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    I use the Block feature when I unfriend. So you go to their profile, click the "Friend" button and instead of "Unfriend", "Block" is another one of your options. Using "Block", you automatically unfriend, and it makes it very hard for them to find you (although not impossible, I've learned) after that point.
    That's what I do as well.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I like women and men pretty equally assuming they are kind and friendly. There are certain things that bother me and cattiness is certainly on the list! I am not hoping to be friends with these women but if we are going to be seeing each other all the time, it'd seem like we ought to at least be friendly! But whatever, I cannot control other people. Worse than their friendliness is all the drinking and eventual driving being done, mostly by the men, with the children in the car. I ventured to say to dbf that we really can't be sure how much they are actually actually drinking and he said he talked to one who was clearly drunk and then a bit later saw him drive away with his 6 year old in the front seat. I just get a bad feeling about the whole crew.

I didn't even know until today, when my co-worker mentioned that she went and saw Star Trek, that they were remaking them. I am so behind the times! I never liked the 'old' Star Trek's but she speaks highly of the new ones, so I guess I'll be checking them out - though it'll take some convincing to get hubs to agre to that.

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I like women and men pretty equally assuming they are kind and friendly. There are certain things that bother me and cattiness is certainly on the list! I am not hoping to be friends with these women but if we are going to be seeing each other all the time, it'd seem like we ought to at least be friendly! But whatever, I cannot control other people. Worse than their friendliness is all the drinking and eventual driving being done, mostly by the men, with the children in the car. I ventured to say to dbf that we really can't be sure how much they are actually actually drinking and he said he talked to one who was clearly drunk and then a bit later saw him drive away with his 6 year old in the front seat. I just get a bad feeling about the whole crew.
    Oh god. That's awful

I've never seen Star Wars or Star Trek and have zero desire to.

Uuhhh....

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Good point! I never thought about that!

Same here, Chrissy!

I meant to say in my previous post that dbf is very judgemental and quick to assess a situation based on his own bias so I cannot be sure if this guy was truly drunk or not. Still, kid in the front seat, so dangerous but happens all the time around here.

YIKES! Maybe a call to the cops would be in order, if you see something like this happening.

Did I mention that DH has a man date with a couple of guys from work, to go see Star Trek on IMAX? I like the movies too, and would've gone, but no one invited me :-(

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I love Benedict Cumberbatch. DH and I first saw him in Sherlock and I developed my first actor crush in a long time. That is available on Netflix, btw. It's the only way we have to watch movies. Ever since then I've been adding everything I can with him in it. He's done several miniseries. I like Star Trek anyway, and have been so behind the times (never seeing commercials) that I didn't know he was in this. I will have to figure out a way to go see it. DH and I saw the last one.

Hi! I'm back from vacation. Got the road trip itch taken care of after more then 32 hours in the van in about a 10 day time frame. We had a good time and I will be posting more pics on FB soon. I called my parents every day to check in on my girls. They were doing a bit of a hunger strike but Cosmo got her meds in ok and they liked sleeping with my dad. We were worried they might be mad at us but they were soooooo happy to see us. The rest of the time at my parents, they wouldn't let me or DH out of their sight.
    It felt soooo good to be home last night.

I was never one for male friends but I grew up with a sister and had all little girls my age on my block to play with. Top it off in that I'm kind of shy and my friends list is small and takes a while to develop. I have never been one to start chatting up people and have been told people thought I was stuck up at first.
    And now DH and I are pretty much always together. Actually today is the anniversary of when we became an official item....15 years ago.

Ooohhhh that is good to hear about Star Trek. I LOVE Star Trek. Well most of it. I haven't seen many of the old ones from the 60's TV show and I didn't care so much for Enterprise. But I like a lot of the movies....Next Generation, Deep Space Nine and Voyager. I love it so much that when we were working on our portfolio and including things we liked/hobbies....I made this page. http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto..._3033341_n.jpg

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I watched one episode of Sherlock and then DH said he might want to watch it with me so I waited, but I don't think he does anymore. I may pick it up again. Cumberbatch (can we just call him Benny or something? His name is too darn long) is sort of odd looking to me, but interesting.

Wow, Bridget.. that is so messed up.

M, I think Sherlock is on Netflix streaming. You've gotta see it!
    We do that too - no cable, no network tv, just netflix and roku. Works great for just about everything, although we had to work something out with my sister to get my GoT fix on HBO. ;)
    We're excited to see what JJ does with Star Wars, too ... was just talking about it yesterday with DH! He said that JJ mentioned that he has never been a big Star Trek fan, but he really loved Star Wars growing up... so hopes are high that he's going to do a really good job. It'll be fun to see what shapes up. DH has worked with him on both Super 8 and the first ST and thinks very highly of him.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Suja....that was not nice of them! We had looked into seeing it at the IMAX in Pittsburgh but decided against it. DH gets sick at 3D movies and I was feeling a bit sick at the Flight of the Butterflies at the IMAX in Cincinnati.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I have not seen BC in anything. I have Jeremy Brett so firmly rooted in my brain as Sherlock Holmes, I have a hard time letting anyone into that space. My brother says I should try the new one, but I haven't yet.

I'm going to whine about DH. He is driving me insane. He came home from his trip with a bad URI. The major problem is that he can't hear out one ear half the time. He has been to the doctor twice now, so we know there is nothing else going on. But dear lord, he is SO WHINEY!!! You'd think he has the bubonic plague, cancer, hemorrhoids and hangnail, all at the same time. I think that he's upset I'm not more sympathetic, but good golly man, you have a cold, you're not dying, just suck it the hell up!

Suja....last time my dad had a cold my mom was telling me how he was so sick....that he was sicker than anyone in the whole world had ever been before. He was driving her nuts.

And if I ever meet any of you all in real life....if I'm shy or not talking much.....ask me about my dogs. That is the ONE thing I will start talking like crazy about to anyone who will listen. LOL

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Jennifer so glad to hear you enjoyed your vacation!!

Suja mean sure huge babies when it comes to that kind of stuff. My husband is the same way and than tells me that I am not considerate enough. Um... no, you exaggerate

Oh Suja, I feel your pain. Dbf is the WORST when he is sick and I am very unsympathetic. I will just raise my eyebrows when he comes limping through the house because he has a COLD! I'm so curious as to why or how a cold makes you limp but I refuse to initiate that conversation! lol

LOL, Bridget!

No wonder he is so sick, Bridget! He's got the exceedingly rare and dangerous leg cold.

*snort*, Suja.

Hey, while you're there (Suja), do you pay your employees (the ones you send out on contracts) a fee or some other incentive for referring candidates that eventually get placed? My team is hurting for another person to help us out, and I have a decent candidate I've worked with at the last 2 companies I've consulted with. I can refer her directly, or I can refer her to the company that placed me so they get the contract and receive a cut for every hour billed etc. My agency doesn't pay a referral fee, though, (I asked) because they claimed their profit margins are too small. But they said, "gee, we hope you refer her anyway!" That sort of bugs me. Even with small profit margins, I think they should shave off a little of the profits they will receive and share - however small - as a sign of appreciation for the extra business. One former agency even just gave me a $100 gift card after I referred a contract that got placed after 3 months of contract was completed, and that was a nice-enough thank you as far as I was concerned. I guess they're thinking if I ever want to work with them again, I should refer her now, but y'know, I don't even think they'd say no to placing me in the future if they had something I'd be a really suitable fit for. Anyway, it just seems like a lame business practice on their part.

Also, while you're there, are dogs not supposed to be given onions? DH's part-time employee is allergic to onions (hard when DH feeds him our leftovers when they're working down in his shop and it's something I made) and he was telling us that we shouldn't give the dogs anything with onion in it. I never heard of that.

BTW, there is a whole lot of drama in our house too that comes with a cold or flu when it's DH's cold or flu.
    Last edited by demigraf; 05-20-2013 at 02:42 PM.

I have also heard that no onions or garlic for dogs. I admit that Cosmo will get some people food with cooked onions in it and some garlic. Like spaghetti. But if it's something heavy with onions or garlic, I don't give her that....I have a few dishes I make that have quite a bit of those two in there. I do try to avoid it though.

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison...ple-foods.aspx

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    No wonder he is so sick, Bridget! He's got the exceedingly rare and dangerous leg cold.
    Well, you know how men have that third leg that can be so bothersome sometimes? If they get any kind of cold that affects an extremity, it can be extremely nerve-wracking for them.

On the other hand, my DH gets a pretty severe inflammatory arthritis that affects his joints (esp. elbow and ankle) any time he gets any type of an immune response, so if he gets a cold, he actually does limp a little bit for a good reason. So there is that side of the argument.

Myles, I love what you've said about connecting with people. I could've written that post myself (if I was as eloquent as you!)

Bridget, I'm sorry your new neighbors seem so ignorant. How sad for them to be that way.

Jennifer, welcome back from your vacation!

Christina, I hope your dad is ok!

I'm off to bed now. I worked my booty off at boot camp tonight...literally. Well, no, it's more my flabby belly that's going, but you know!

Suja, I'm literally L-ing OL.
    My dh can be added to the list of uber-whiners. If he has a hangnail, I have to hear about it. For days. If he has a cold -- Lord and Mother Nature help us. I really put some effort into my "concerned and sympathetic" face, because I have to use it often. So right now, I'm making that face for you.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Myles, we absolutely pay a referral fee. It is usually worked out with the consultant, but range from $500 - $1000. I'd think that would be pretty standard, especially in CA. I would totally NOT refer someone to the agency if that's their attitude.

And yes, eating onions can cause hemolytic anemia in dogs. BUT, there is a pretty significant difference between a Yorkie eating onions in our food, and a German Shepherd, so a little is not going to hurt a large dog. OTOH, the effects are cumulative, so you don't want to do it on a daily basis, or at least be careful about it.

Would that my DH had a 3rd leg he could actually limp with. LOL! I'm sure we'd have quite a few - ahem - lengthy discussions about that. Bwahahaha!

Thanks for sharing, Suja. I thought it was kind of a BS response from my agency.