Page 1369 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 369 869 1269 1319 135913671368136913701371 1379 1419 1469 ... LastLast
Results 41,041 to 41,070 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    I don't have any real life friends and it makes me sad. Maybe I watch too much Sex and the City but I always wish I could have a few close girl friends like that. And I feel like I do, with you guys, but there is just something about being able to meet up for coffee or go to a party, or be able to hang out with you guys after a bad day, or a good day, that is different from the online friendship.
    I know what you mean. Lots of chick lit books out there center around a close group of women. Maybe we all need to move to the same place?

Actually, Suja, you don't know this but I've decided that if my life ever self-destructs and I lose my job, house, etc I am moving into your basement. I'll be quiet and polite and even babysit. Meantime I can get a license in your state and find a better job! I guess that's my safety net! LOL.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by CamaLamaMama View Post
    I am a sucker for reality tv. The Kardashians are fascinating to me. It's like when you rubber neck to see a car crash!

I'm legit in love with Vinny from jersey shore. I don't think he is into single moms though. So I guess I better keep looking. Lol!
    That's it exactly. It's like watching a car crash in action.

I don't have any real life friends and it makes me sad. Maybe I watch too much Sex and the City but I always wish I could have a few close girl friends like that. And I feel like I do, with you guys, but there is just something about being able to meet up for coffee or go to a party, or be able to hang out with you guys after a bad day, or a good day, that is different from the online friendship.
    This is how I was before I started working. I also never used to get a sitter and go out. I felt guilty. Right now I'm feeling the opposite. I can't wait to get a sitter and go out with some friends. At night my social time is apa, fb and Parker. Living alone is kinda a drag! I also wish I had a group of sex in the city friends. Or friends friends. I could be the Rachael. I just need the other 5!

APA colony! Lets build one. I want my kids in Bridget's daycare in the colony.

Fb down for anyone else?

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

It's working for me!

Nope, facebook is working for me too.

I use mobile fb. It's working for me. But it's been sluggish today.

Mobile FB is working for me, but not working on the PC

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Mine was the mobile site, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post

Most (all) of my social interactions, other than DH, are either at work or online. My partner G and I are good friends - we talk all day long about all kinds of stuff. I know stuff about her one son's marriage, her other son's medical history and untimely death, her grandson, her divorce, her cancer, her previous work experience, her book club - you name it. And in return I tell her about you girls some of the time. She is firmly convinced I am insane. But she is 60 and doesn't really "get" the computer as a means of socialization. The rest of the time (again, excluding DH) I socialize online. I'm really a homebody and I am busy and stressed and find it difficult to make time to see others. And when I get a chance to have some down time, I want it to be down time and not extended family socialization time, just like you, Christina. That can be more stressful than work.

Speaking of extended family, though - I might end up coming out for my niece's graduation after all, if I can work out a few details. Which would mean a NY trip in about a month. Anyone who might be in the area, let me know! Add me to the "never had an APA meetup" club. Man, I'm starting to feel left out.
    For real

A trip to NY sounds fun, you should do it! Though, that's nowhere near me!

I am totally up for the Secular Community thing. I think my husband may protest though

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

I met two apa members who I think don't come here anymore, when Josh was a baby. It was really fun! We went to the New England Aquarium.

Aww, thanks.

Myles, I am sorry that you are having night troubles. I wish I could offer advice but I just slithered out of my bed from between Savana and Sawyer and I'm sure Kai will be in soon enough. We saw, albeit in the distance, some sort of building ablaze today and the fire trucks raced past us so everyone was having anxiety about fires. Savana never sleeps in our bed but lately she has been saying how much she misses snuggling me at night so tonight I invited her. It came to a screeching halt when Sawyer was born, me laying with her at night, and she was cool about it. She seemed to understand.

Today I drove to a local farm/grainery to buy some organic chicken feed because we are going to pick up 5 hens tomorrow! We are SO excited. The farmer was asking me a lot of questions about homeschooling, with genuine interest though his kids are grown. As we were saying goodbye to him Savana stopped suddenly and called out to him. I was taken aback because she is usually pretty introverted but she called him over excitedly as she has spotted a praying mantis egg sac on his tree. He was equally excited and asked her if she'd like to take it home and she was all, "But you NEED this! This is great for organic farming! These will eat your pest and 200-500 will come out of this sac. Though, they won't all survive since some of the will eat each other." As he broke off the branch it was on and handed it to her, he looked at me and said, "Well, she just sold me on homeschooling." That moment made me really happy.

I have a really great group of girlfriends irl, from highschool mostly but a few others we picked up along the way and we all spent our 20's together. We don't get to see each other very often but when we do, we always pick up right where we left off. I am making plans right now with one of them as we've been in touch since she messaged me that her kindergarten son is having trouble focusing in school and his teacher jumped on the adhd bandwagon. It makes me sad when I hear kids getting labeled as that so young. Anway, she was wondering if I had any ideas for diet changes that might help and that led to us making plans so yay!

I got this email from my dad today and then he didn't return my call:
    I have an appointment on the 15th of this month for a PDT treatment (Photodynamic therapy). According to my Dr. I guess the cells have joined hands on my face and he cannot treat them individually. I have a second appointment scheduled for July.

Anyway I have to stay out of any direct light for a couple days after the treatment. So &#@!.... I guess I’ll just have to hold up in the basement and watch ESPN…..oh the inhumanity !!!!
    Not good. Do any of you know much about this treatment? He's had quite a few spots removed on his face over the years already.

I met two apa members who I think don't come here anymore, when Josh was a baby. It was really fun! We went to the New England Aquarium.
    I want to go there!

Bridget, Savana is such a smartie. Congrats on the hens! DD1 has been wanting chickens for years. I'll bet it will just be so fun for you and the kids especially, and your own eggs! yay!
    I would love Noe to join your daycare in the secular colony. I think of it more like a commune, but colony is good too.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Quote Originally Posted by pepperlru View Post
    Bridget, Savana is such a smartie. Congrats on the hens! DD1 has been wanting chickens for years. I'll bet it will just be so fun for you and the kids especially, and your own eggs! yay!
    I would love Noe to join your daycare in the secular colony. I think of it more like a commune, but colony is good too.
    That's the word I was looking for! My sleep deprived brain couldn't remember it.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Mylah, I'm sorry if you got the Magical Treehouse books thinking it was something I recommended. I remember it got brought up one one of the days I was at work and someone said I had them, but I was just reading and couldn't respond at the time, and I forgot about the post later. I got the audio CDs years ago, and my kids were frightened to death of them, even in the car when we could reassure them second by second of what was going on. We couldn't finish them. Just in the past month they started trying them out again, but they seemed to have turned a bit of a corner in what they can tolerate. They still think they are scary, though.

I was going to suggest something similar to the Magic Schoolbus series is The Sightseers Series, aimed for a little bit older kids and is about touring the past. I was trying to tempt S. with a book of "Little Puppy Goes Woof" the other day, and instead he wanted me to read him "Shakespeare's London." It's really nice, and appealed to my yearning to learn the details about the past, and how people lived their daily lives (not just historical events).

http://www.amazon.com/Sightseers-Sha...7898359&sr=1-9

There are a few other Sightseers books, all old and used.

Also, I recommend these few nighttime relaxation CDs:

Charlie Channel, Bedtime Buddy: http://www.amazon.com/Bedtime-Buddy-...=bedtime+buddy

Good Night CD: http://www.amazon.com/GOOD-NIGHT-CD-...xation+stories

I like a lot of the Usborne books for sciency things, too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/079...uc__bxgy_01_01

This (above) looks pretty neat. I don't have it, but I want it.

I have A Year at a Construction Site. I just got it recently. It's a lot of fun. http://www.amazon.com/Year-Construct...ref=pd_sim_b_6.

Yeah, totally commune! Colony makes me think of ants!

I am going to confess right now how so very very tired I am of washing diapers. I even bought a pack of disposables and it's my dirty little secret. I have been putting him in a sposie at night and sometimes during the day if we are going out and about. The amount of pee a disposable diaper can hold seriously astounds me!
    I am going to see how he does on the potty tomorrow. I picked up a little one for him today. He's such a motivated little dude, I feel like he will catch right on. He's nothing like Savana and Kai so far, does not fight me too much on anything. In fact, yesterday they were messing around with the garden hose and evening was rolling in and the air was getting cooler. I could see that Sawyer was cold so I got him some dry clothes and suggested to him that he put dry clothes on because it was called. He was all, by the 2 Year Old Handbook, NOOOOOOO! So I set his clothes down and walked inside (He was on the deck off the kitchen and I left the door open) and said, "Ok, you let me know." He walked in and, I swear, he said, "Attoooly Mommy" (actually) "I cold."
    Sometimes I feel like I'm looking at him with suspicion because he's being too cooperative.

Speaking of extended family, though - I might end up coming out for my niece's graduation after all, if I can work out a few details. Which would mean a NY trip in about a month. Anyone who might be in the area, let me know! Add me to the "never had an APA meetup" club. Man, I'm starting to feel left out.

Chrissy, I dearly wish I could have gotten up to Phoenix to see you, but I just can't see a way to make it happen. I'm not taking DH's diesel beast for a road trip (I can hardly steer it) so it would mean renting a car and cash is really tight right now. I feel bad about it.
    I'm in NY! I'll meet you!! And no worries...of course I'm sad that we're so close and I won't get to see you, but I understand. I couldn't force myself to add another 200 miles when I'm already planning on doing 1678.5 with Shannon. I think that's plenty. I'll be back, and you'll be in NY. We're definitely going to meet!!

I know what you mean. Lots of chick lit books out there center around a close group of women. Maybe we all need to move to the same place?
    Tucson. I'm on my way.

Yes, Bridget pack your daycare!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I got this email from my dad today and then he didn't return my call:

Not good. Do any of you know much about this treatment? He's had quite a few spots removed on his face over the years already.
    I have no idea, but wanted to give you

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Oh, I'm at Shannon's & sleeping in Mikey's bed. He's a darling and sleeping on the couch!! I'm exhausted after traveling all day...and it's 12:20 'my' time. I'm sure my body is wondering wtf.

Incidentally, Shannon showed me a bottle she has with lavender spray in it that she spritzes Mikey with every night to keep the bad dreams away. It has a custom label on it that says, "Mommy's Patented; Amazing! 'Nightmare Be Gone' Elixir" It works for them. You may want to give that a try to Myles.

That's funny, Bridget. I know what you mean. I'd probably take Mira to the doctor (I almost said vet) if she said 'Yes' to anything I suggested.

Y'all are welcome to come stay here, any time you want. Heck, we might have enough land for a commune.

Mandy, do you have dates? I might be visiting my brother around the end of the month. If the timing works out, would love to meet you.

Bridget, has he had any malignancy issues in the past?
    Last edited by Suja; 05-06-2013 at 10:36 PM.

Yes, I figured your basement was big enough you might not even notice I was there. Although if I brought the Rottweiler and husband with me, you might notice them. Primarily the Rottweiler.

But she loves dogs, so maybe she'd assume it was a stray that just moved in

Yes, something like that. There are always dogs around Suja's house, right?

I have mentioned that our next dog might be a Rottweiler? Frankly, the way I feel some times, dogs are often preferable company to people (present company excepted). I know that DH would welcome a giant Rottweiler with open arms. Dunno about the humans.

My DH would agree! Dogs over humans any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    That's funny, Bridget. I know what you mean. I'd probably take Mira to the doctor (I almost said vet) if she said 'Yes' to anything I suggested.

Y'all are welcome to come stay here, any time you want. Heck, we might have enough land for a commune.

Mandy, do you have dates? I might be visiting my brother around the end of the month. If the timing works out, would love to meet you.

Bridget, has he had any malignancy issues in the past?
    Sorry, I missed this first time around. Niece's high school graduation is June 7 and her brother's middle school graduation is two days earlier. So it would be in that timeframe but those days of course would be unavailable. I haven't made definite plans yet but my parents offered to buy me a ticket and my BFF said I could stay with her (and I haven't seen her IRL since said niece was an infant). I know a couple other APA / former APA mamas live in the tri-state area. I don't know how much socializing I can squeeze in but it would be really fun, especially for a secular meetup. I just have to figure out about car rentals now. I also don't know my parents' timeframe in detail either but know they are also planning to connect with old friends while they are there.

When we first went to pick up Khan (he was being boarded due to lack of foster space), there was a giant Rottie at the kennel, named Brutus. He jumped up on the half door, to ask for pets. His head was the size of a dinner plate. Ever since, DH has wanted one.

Mandy, I went back and added, which is why you missed it. My nephew's birthday is at the end of the month. He is in Northern New Jersey, so the city wouldn't be hard to get to. If you are going to be there a few days before, and able to meet, I can try to extend my stay.

He'd love M then!

And I guess I missed out on the perfect name. Brutus.

When Nero was a puppy (well, his whole life, honestly) I would reach into his mouth periodically to extract whatever it is he shouldn't have been eating. Paper towels, nuggets from the cat litter box, you name it. He had a strong jaw but we just stuck our fingers in a gap in his teeth and the whole jaw would just slide open and I could get right in there.

Puppy? ... Not so much. There is no forcing that jaw to do anything it doesn't want to do. It's kind of amazing. Fortunately he is loving and never feels threatened. He's never put those jaws to use. But I understand why those dogs can do a lot of damage if they aren't handled properly. It's all about the positive behavior with this guy because there is no making him do anything. Fortunately he'd sell his soul for a liver treat.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 05-06-2013 at 11:13 PM.