Page 1358 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 35885812581308134813561357135813591360136814081458 ... LastLast
Results 40,711 to 40,740 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

Jennifer, i always check for the tell tale stains but glad to hear of another way to know. After having scabies here I am so paranoid about parasitic critters. I've purchased mattress covers for all the beds in our house, sprinkled dichatamous earth (I know I didn't spell that right) around the edges of the beds and in the creases of the mattresses. Dbf and I have a captain bed style of bed so can't just do the powder under the legs like L suggested. We also got dbf a metal suitcase so that there is nowhere for bed bugs to come home. Although I still have him leave it in the garage and take his clothes directly to the washing machine.

Kate, Sawyer is almos 27mos old.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Christina, be serious. We you and your contributions in here.

B - GO SAWYER! Woot! I love how their language just all of a sudden explodes - its awesome!

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

The bedbug talk always gives me the shivers!
    Bridget, Sawyer is so cute.

Chickpeas (garbanzos) -- you can roast them, too. There are lots of recipes out there -- the one I have is sweet, with cinnamon and honey, but you can do a savory one. They make a great healthy snack, lots of protein. They also make good veggie burgers or falafel substitute -- here are two recipes we use. http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-3036/...a-Burgers.html http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/ch...ini_sauce.html

For other beans and lentils... I make beans in the crockpot a lot. It's really easy and you don't need any seasonings except some salt to make them taste really good (although I sometimes do throw in a little chopped onion and garlic). Just rinse the beans, any type (we most commonly do pinto, black or white northern beans) and pick through them to get out any stones or yucky beans. Soak them in cold water overnight on the counter. In the morning, rinse them in fresh water and put them in the crockpot. I usually add water to about two inches over the top of the beans. You can cook them on low for most of the day (if you're going to use them in soup or mexican dishes, it doesn't matter if you overcook them). On high they'll take about 4 hours. You can skip the soaking if you want to, but some people think they're easier to digest if they've been soaked first. We use beans cooked in the crockpot for bowls of beans with a little cheese on top, any mexican dish, black or navy bean soup, etc.

Lentils take less time to cook and don't need to be soaked. There are different types. Brown lentils are the kind you use for soup, lentil salad, etc. Red and yellow lentils cook more quickly and get mushy, so they're good for adding texture to soups or side dishes, or to make dal. An easy way to incorporate lentils into sides is to throw a handful in when you make rice or quinoa. They cook along with the rice and give it a nice flavor and extra nutrition. I used to always cook lentils with my rice (I don't now because of the iron, but someday I hope to again!). Lentils are also really great in veggie burgers.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Quote Originally Posted by pepperlru View Post
    For other beans and lentils... I make beans in the crockpot a lot. It's really easy and you don't need any seasonings except some salt to make them taste really good (although I sometimes do throw in a little chopped onion and garlic). Just rinse the beans, any type (we most commonly do pinto, black or white northern beans) and pick through them to get out any stones or yucky beans. Soak them in cold water overnight on the counter. In the morning, rinse them in fresh water and put them in the crockpot. I usually add water to about two inches over the top of the beans. You can cook them on low for most of the day (if you're going to use them in soup or mexican dishes, it doesn't matter if you overcook them). On high they'll take about 4 hours. You can skip the soaking if you want to, but some people think they're easier to digest if they've been soaked first. We use beans cooked in the crockpot for bowls of beans with a little cheese on top, any mexican dish, black or navy bean soup, etc.
    Really need to add cooking my own beans to my dinner 'to-do' lists. We eat beans about 4 days a week (Nolan and I are anemic and we both love beans, so it works ) so I would need to invest in a smaller crock pot or I suppose I could do one big batch and than put it in the fridge to pull out for dinners for a few days?

I confess I hate beans. I want to like them, but I cannot get past the texture. I've tried a million different types and ways of eating them. I've gotten to where I can handle a FEW black beans in a burrito or something, but that's it. My kids and DH love them.
    AKA Lisa724

Quote Originally Posted by MashedUp View Post
    I confess I hate beans. I want to like them, but I cannot get past the texture. I've tried a million different types and ways of eating them. I've gotten to where I can handle a FEW black beans in a burrito or something, but that's it. My kids and DH love them.
    I confess I had to go and Google Lentils

Hmmm, the roasting sounds interesting. I confess that I have never roasted veggies before. Usually just steam in the microwave.

And we like rice so I could see doing that. I have been looking for more rice dishes. I just got down Mexican rice.

I really want to like beans but am just getting there and starting to get over the texture. Took me a while to learn to like raw carrots too but now I have those almost daily.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

If you guys like Indian food, Jennifer, you can find tons of recipes. Chole and Sundal are two recipes that use Chickpeas. Rajma uses kidney beans, and Lobhia uses black eyed peas. Dal can be made with just about any lentil, and there are lots of variations.

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    Really need to add cooking my own beans to my dinner 'to-do' lists. We eat beans about 4 days a week (Nolan and I are anemic and we both love beans, so it works ) so I would need to invest in a smaller crock pot or I suppose I could do one big batch and than put it in the fridge to pull out for dinners for a few days?
    I do have a smaller crockpot that I use for beans. They are cheap - it was probably about $25. Kind of cool to have both a big and small one because I can, say, do a pork shoulder for carnitas in the big one and have the small one full of beans. But if you make a big batch, you can definitely use them for a while from the fridge, and they freeze well too.
    Noe is a big bean fan -- she eats them several times per week. I don't make them from scratch that often (I really don't think I could keep up with her consumption!) but I usually make a batch every couple of weeks, and they last through the week. They are great for upping her iron.

Jennifer, the roasted chickpeas come out crunchy, which is why they're a fun snack and totally portable. Really all there is to it is to toss cooked chickpeas with a little oil and seasonings and throw them onto a baking sheet. This is a good explanation. http://www.howsweeteats.com/2012/10/...-my-chickpeas/

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    If you guys like Indian food, Jennifer, you can find tons of recipes. Chole and Sundal are two recipes that use Chickpeas. Rajma uses kidney beans, and Lobhia uses black eyed peas. Dal can be made with just about any lentil, and there are lots of variations.
    Ummm, we have only had Indian food twice. We liked it. I didn't even have mexican or chinese until I was an adult.
    I think that we would probably have to head to the twin cities for Indian restaurants.

Any favorite recipes that would be more "kid-friendly"....I think that my tastes tend to run more there than super spicey.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I do have a smaller crockpot that I use for beans. They are cheap - it was probably about $25. Kind of cool to have both a big and small one because I can, say, do a pork shoulder for carnitas in the big one and have the small one full of beans. But if you make a big batch, you can definitely use them for a while from the fridge, and they freeze well too.
    Noe is a big bean fan -- she eats them several times per week. I don't make them from scratch that often (I really don't think I could keep up with her consumption!) but I usually make a batch every couple of weeks, and they last through the week. They are great for upping her iron.

Jennifer, the roasted chickpeas come out crunchy, which is why they're a fun snack and totally portable. Really all there is to it is to toss cooked chickpeas with a little oil and seasonings and throw them onto a baking sheet. This is a good explanation. http://www.howsweeteats.com/2012/10/...-my-chickpeas/
    I was just looking at that website for an explanation of roasted chickpeas I've never had them, they look way too easy not to try - so I'll have to pick some up on my shopping trip this weekend.

I'll have to admit to being intimidated by recipes that have a lot of ingredients or ingredients that I haven't heard of before. I don't know if we've ever eaten Indian food, specifically, I don't even think we have an Indian restaurant around here.

Since we are on the topic of beans.... Anyone have a chili recipe? My husband has been dying for chili, but I never liked it as a kid so I've been putting it off.

Jennifer, try the sundal recipe, then. It basically calls for chick peas (I use canned, for convenience), sauteed in a little oil, salt, turmeric (optional), dried red chilis (optional) and grated coconut (not optional).

I have one that everyone loves. It does call for canned ingredients, though, so if you're not into that you might have to do some extra work. This is one of my quick weeknight dinners... we love it because it's a full meal unto itself, makes enough for leftovers (and is even better the next day), and is really nutritious (and full of iron too!). It freezes really well. The way I make it is mild enough for a child... it's one of Noe's faves. You can add in more chili powder or a shake or two of cayenne to give it more of a kick.

Turkey Chili

1 lb ground turkey (the darker meat is a little better for this recipe than super lean breast meat, but you can use either ... or use ground beef instead of you like that)
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 small can mild diced chilies
    2 cloves of garlic, minced
    2 cans stewed tomatoes (original recipe with bell pepper)
    1 small can tomato paste
    1 can kidney beans or pinto or chili beans
    1 can black beans
    1 tsp kosher salt
    1-2 tbsp chili powder
    1-2 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp paprika
    1 tsp dried oregano

(Seasonings are approximate -- add more of any of them to taste before serving)

Brown the turkey in a little oil. Drain any fat. Add in the onions, garlic and chilies and saute until onions are tender. Mix the seasonings with 1/2 cup water and add to the pot. Drain and rinse the beans and throw them in. Roughly chop the stewed tomatoes and add them and all of their juice to the pot. Add in the small can of tomato paste. Simmer for about 10 minutes to combine flavors. Taste for more salt or other seasonings (you can add up to 4 tbsp chili powder to your taste, or more cumin). We serve it with shredded cheese and tortilla chips.

*Since I'm having to be careful of my meat and iron intake, I've recently made a vegetarian version of this which is also really good. I just cut out the turkey and instead sauteed a chopped zucchini, half an eggplant and a couple of portabella mushrooms with the onions. You could also use crumbled meat substitute and I'm sure it would be tasty.

I confess I make beans all the time...for my parrot. I probably should start adding them to our diet though since they're so cheap!

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Jennifer, try the sundal recipe, then. It basically calls for chick peas (I use canned, for convenience), sauteed in a little oil, salt, turmeric (optional), dried red chilis (optional) and grated coconut (not optional).
    Dang had me until coconut. I like coconut but my DH HATES it. And he's one to eat most things but that is one thing he will not eat.

I'm not totally against canned foods...just trying to reduce where I can. Still using some of them myself.

Christina....would you maybe like a sweet chili? That is what I make. I don't know it off memory but it's got in it..
    ground beef...I get the 95% fat free so maybe that is really sirloin or something.
    tomato sauce...2 cans
    diced tomatoes...2 cans...stewed or the ones with onion and green pepper (though I just started buying Pomi because DH was complaining about canned tomato taste)
    dark kidney beans....I do one can but my MIL does 2 cans.
    bay leaf
    sage
    1/3 cup of chili powder
    celerly
    onion
    green pepper
    3/4 cup brown sugar

Might be one or two more things but I cannot think of it. It's got a sweet kick. Makes a good sized pot and we always have enough left to freeze a few bowls.

Big shocker but I like mine served on top of or next to pasta. LOL DH likes bread or crackers....both like some shredded cheese. I usually buy colby jack.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Oh chili...I love thee...LOL

I make a pretty good vegetarian chili. You add some refried beans (you could puree some non-canned beans) to thicken it up and then I just put in a lot of bell peppers and beans and pretty much the same seasonings as pepperlu's recipe there. It's surprisingly hearty.

*Since I'm having to be careful of my meat and iron intake, I've recently made a vegetarian version of this which is also really good. I just cut out the turkey and instead sauteed a chopped zucchini, half an eggplant and a couple of portabella mushrooms with the onions. You could also use crumbled meat substitute and I'm sure it would be tasty.
    Oh I bet a veggie version would be fantastic - hubs loves his meat though Thank you so much for the recipe! I actually think I have most of that at home already!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Christina....would you maybe like a sweet chili? That is what I make. I don't know it off memory but it's got in it..
    ground beef...I get the 95% fat free so maybe that is really sirloin or something.
    tomato sauce...2 cans
    diced tomatoes...2 cans...stewed or the ones with onion and green pepper (though I just started buying Pomi because DH was complaining about canned tomato taste)
    dark kidney beans....I do one can but my MIL does 2 cans.
    bay leaf
    sage
    1/3 cup of chili powder
    celerly
    onion
    green pepper
    3/4 cup brown sugar

Might be one or two more things but I cannot think of it. It's got a sweet kick. Makes a good sized pot and we always have enough left to freeze a few bowls.

Big shocker but I like mine served on top of or next to pasta. LOL DH likes bread or crackers....both like some shredded cheese. I usually buy colby jack.
    Brown sugar? I never would have thought about that!!! I know hubs likes his with cheese/sour cream and than crackers/tortilla chips.

Just wanted to pop in and say and that my husband pooh-pooh'd my idea to have chili this week

2/09 6/09 4/14

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Oh chili...I love thee...LOL
    When I started talking to the ladies at work they looked at me like I had three heads when I said that I never liked chili. Than started drooling on themselves thinking about it It's been YEARS since I've tried it and I've never made it myself - so we'll see

I have a coworker who has some award winning one that uses chocolate so also a sweet one. But yeah I think mine is better!

You need the sugar since it's got 1/3 of a cup chili powder. But it's not super sweet either. I have to watch sugar because of the surgery and I can eat it (compared to say the weekend when I had half a belgian waffle with a little light syrup and a small glass of OJ and was feeling kind of sick for a while from it).

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I bet that chocolate chili originated with Mole - a savory chocolate chile sauce that is pretty good with enchiladas!

I make chili by throwing stuff in a pot that goes in chili. I saute ground turkey or ground beef, rinse all fat in a sieve and set aside. Saute an onion and garlic, then add a box of chicken broth, 2 cans diced tomatotes, a couple of cans of kidney beans, a bay leaf, some cumin, salt. pepper, chili powder, mustard powder, the browned ground meat and my SECRET ingredient is... a can or two of Wolf Brand Chili! I swear that it tells the other ingredients that they are all supposed to taste like chili! Let is simmer for a couple of hours until the liquid is reduced. It ends up tasting like Wendy's chili, so very mild (add jalapeņos or serranos if you want more heat). I like it with a grilled cheese sandwich or on a baked potato with shredded cheese. Yum. haven't made that in a while. My dh leaves for Chile in a couple of weeks, so maybe I will make it while he is gone.

I have two batches of those chick peas that just came out of the oven and are cooling! One savory with ranch powder, salt, pepper and celery salt and the other is cinnamon sugar. Taking all those little jackets off the chickpeas took forever! And it looked like my sink was full of fingernails! I hope I like them - it would be nice to have something hi-protein to snack on like that.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

I have heard of putting cocoa powder in chili but never tried it and I have never tried sweet chocolate either. Sometimes I put a bottle of beer in, but not always.

You guys have me hungry. My coworker a couple of years ago was from Mexico and she cooked everything at home from scratch. She brought mole to work one day and made enough to share with everyone. It was a-ma-zing.

I hate beans, though. Again, it's a texture thing because I love Falafel. Mmmmm, falafel. Maybe I'll go out for middle eastern food this weekend.

Funny, I really don't think of my city as cosmopolitan in any way but we have lots of Indian food, middle eastern food, Ethiopian food, etc. restaurants nearby. As well as the best Mexican food in the Southwest, in my opinion. But not so much of some other stuff. There used to be a really good German restaurant but it closed. There really isn't anywhere else like it. I bet in the Midwest there are tons of German restaurants. There are plenty of Italian restaurants but none of them as good as what I got "back home" in NY - they are getting better, though, now that all of NY seems to be moving here.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Oh, and Bridget - AWESOME!

My town kind of sucks food wise. I know places for burgers or steaks and we have some decent Asian food (we have a good sized Hmong population). No German...they are all in Milwaukee. No Italians...they are all in my hometown and down near Chicago. It's so sad what they try to pass as pizza here. There is one place that is ok but nothing like back home. We did just get a Brazilian restaurant....that is fairly tasty. Really though most of the different restaurants would be in the Twin Cities but I'm not driving that far very often and not just for a dinner. Most people locally are very Norwegian....so we do have that.

But really my eating habits have changed so much....but still I don't even know what falfel or whatever is.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

You're missing out. Falafel.

We have only 2 places to eat in town that are affordable and good. A new sushi place and a family owned mexican place. I prefer to cook at home anyway and am happy we brought gluten back into our lives. Last night after the kids went to I whipped up some pizza dough and today we rolled it out, made it, devoured it. I used to end up throwing away half of the gf pizzas.

Mandy, you said your hubs cooks for you, right? Have him make you this. To the letter: http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/25309...cucumber-sauce

Oh. My. Yum.