Page 1346 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 34684612461296133613441345134613471348135613961446 ... LastLast
Results 40,351 to 40,380 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

Sorry about yours tooth Bridget. How are you feeling now?

My manager is having one extracted and she's already been given the fake tooth they're going to put in its place. They're doing it at the extraction. It's weird how vastly different dentists do things.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

How are fake teeth put in, is it removable or do they cement it in or something?

They put a screw in mine, that the new tooth will screw into. I am wondering if it's because mine was so infected, that they are making me wait. The temporary one that they gave me doesn't fit right so i am going to have to a figure a way to have them fix that. Cost me $500 so I assume that I could expect it to look decent. I feel good today, thanks for asking! Just drinking smoothies and pureed soup. I'm on another freaking antibiotic round to avoid re-infection. I asked him after he pulled the tooth out if there was ayot ah ah-ection in ere (that's wide open mouth talk for "a lot of infection in there".) And he said tons. EWWWW. I hate the thought of it. He was a very handsome dentist too so that made him suctioning the infection out of my tooth hole all the more lovely. hehe.
    Last edited by Bridget; 04-13-2013 at 05:15 PM.

Icky.

Hehe...have you seen the Bill Cosby routine about the dentist? I think we talked about it a while back. It cracks me up every time.

Ugggghhh, Bridget -- I'm glad you're feeling better, and I like your "at the dentist" voice. I hope you can get the temporary tooth to fit okay until you can get the new one in.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

The temporary tooth cost $500?

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    How are fake teeth put in, is it removable or do they cement it in or something?
    Faye's is weird and I'm not sure I can explain it. She has it already in a little see-through, fluid filled bag, inside a container. There's some pink gum colored stuff that looks like it will somehow stick along the gum line (I assume in the back?) and maybe onto the roof of the mouth. Attached to that is a tooth. A very real looking one, I might add.

Neither of us had a clue how that's supposed to stick in her head permanently.

I sort of imagined it being attached to a retainer-type thing so it would just slide in and out. But I don't know if that would be stable enough to chew with. I'm not about to google it LOL

http://www.archiveslives.com/wp-cont...brary-6039.jpg

It looks like that (what Faye has). Maybe she can take it out. She wasn't sure. She got it from one dentist but the oral surgeon that's doing the extraction is going to put that on for her after. She'll know more about it then.

that is what i have too. i guess some people keep that permanently, but i don't want to do that. I can't imagine!

Oh, and it won't stay in as I was told it would.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Oh, and it won't stay in as I was told it would.
    Oh great. Faye is going to be pissed. When she was showing it to me, she was wondering how that would stay in permanently because that's what she was told. Neither of us could figure it out.

The oral surgeon told me to buy fixadent. But I still plan to call my dentist monday to see what they can do. It should pop in and out like a retainer.

She's really going to hate that.

The other day on my way to pick Cash up from daycare, I was in the right-hand lane at a roundabout behind a car with a car to my left. The guy to the left started revving his engine; I slowly pulled forward when the car in front of me went ahead on to the roundabout and the guy next to me pulled forward as well, still revving his engine. He obviously wanted me to look his way. I didn't turn my head, but glanced side ways to check him out. He looked about 16! LOL. I thought to myself, "Boy-child, in some parts of the world, I am old enough to be your mother!" Eeek.

LOL
    Well you do look young to me Ash. And you're so cute maybe he was aware you were older but he was checking you out anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    The other day on my way to pick Cash up from daycare, I was in the right-hand lane at a roundabout behind a car with a car to my left. The guy to the left started revving his engine; I slowly pulled forward when the car in front of me went ahead on to the roundabout and the guy next to me pulled forward as well, still revving his engine. He obviously wanted me to look his way. I didn't turn my head, but glanced side ways to check him out. He looked about 16! LOL. I thought to myself, "Boy-child, in some parts of the world, I am old enough to be your mother!" Eeek.
    That's cute!!!

I'm seriously thinking about moving in with my mom. She'll lose her HUD and I don't know how much of her social security...but her place is much cheaper than mine. What I'd save in rent and perhaps cable, I can put towards the credit card bills I've been neglecting. I have to do something. It's not ideal-my mom is nuts and drives me crazy. But short of finding some man to live with, I don't know what else to do.

She's going to call the HUD office tomorrow and see what they say about it. It would only be temporary, perhaps a year. Usually there's a 2 year waiting list to get on HUD. If she'd have to wait that long again after I moved out, we wouldn't be able to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    Would you ladies who have read the 'spirited child' book recommend it for a teacher? I wonder if it's something I should put on my reading list because I'm sure I'll have some little firecrackers when I get my own classroom before too long.
    I'm only a third of the way through, and I definitely think it is a worthwhile read. And holy $hit, does she nail some of the small stuff - like why other kids can have a bath, then bed routine, but mine cannot. It is really affirming that a) we are not alone b) it takes extra effort, A LOT of extra effort, to parent a child like this, and c) there are effective ways to do it without losing one's mind.

We had a looong day, involving 7 stops, and except for a minor crying incident or two, we were completely meltdown free. Not only that, it's the end of the day, and I am actually relaxed, feeling positive, and not in the least like the world's worst parent. When I'm done reading, I plan to re-read. And when I'm whining about my kid, someone remind me to go back to the book, please?

Yay for a good day!!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Chrissy, you are amazing in so many ways. My mom is not the slightest bit difficult to live with, but I would have such a hard time living with anyone except my immediate family. Heck, sometimes I have a hard time living with them.

Bridget, how is the tooth? And the other pain?

S. cut his hair. *&^%!@$# as DH would say. DH always takes these things more seriously than I do. It's funny, because I care more if they leave the house looking like complete ragamuffins (ie dirty faces, clothes inappropriate for the weather, uncombed hair, stained clothes), and DH doesn't seem to notice that sort of thing but will get very upset over a bad haircut or a facial injury (he frets for a long time about permanent scars on the face, although granted, both of our twins have had sutures or glue on the face, some more than once). Anyway, it wasn't the worst haircut in the world but it was very short where he did cut it, so it necessitated an overall very short trim.

Before:

After:

I'm actually kind of amazed this hasn't happened before, but we used to keep the scissors put away when the twins were younger. They only became more openly accessible as they got older, and then S. was told to only use them on paper. He's been mostly pretty good.

I cut my sister's hair off when we were young. I told DH this is pretty much a normal childhood rite of passage.

He's adorable, with or without hair.

My brother didn't cut off my hair, he put gum in it when I was sleeping. Much hysteria ensued, as the rat's nest got cut out. I don't think I talked to him for a looong time after that.

Awww... I think that haircut looks cute! Of course, Rich has done it to Conner a number of times, so I'm immune by now I suppose. I remember not being too fond the first 5 times he did it

I do not feel very amazing at all. That's simply the level of desperation I've reached. I've also thought about taking a 2nd job (I will not find anywhere near me that pays more than Cornell does for what I do) but I'm too lazy for that. The last thing I wanna do when I get home from work is get ready for work.

I do have concerns about how it would work out in reality. The most time I've spent with my mom is our weekly shopping trips that last 3-4 hours and by the time I dropped her off, I was glad to say goodbye. She really makes me crazy.

The other benefits would be...she cleans her house. She'd start dinner most nights. She'd also have someone to talk to and I know she's been lonely since my brother moved out. It would be stressful for me, but maybe not as stressful as not being able to pay my credit card bills. I'm starting to have real issues with my car, and getting rid of it isn't an option right now. My credit score was down in the 500's when I looked despite the fact that I have the car and a couple other loans that ARE being paid. I have got to do something.

Maybe I could be done in 6 months. lol

Bobbie & Jessie cut each others hair when they were 3 and 4. My cousin pegged them, and it stuck for years, Crop and Chop.

L, S is so cute... and wow, in that bottom pic he really seems to resemble your dh.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Aw, Bridget, I can't wait till this whole tooth thing is done and behind you!! How are you feeling now?

Ashley, that is flattering, though! Makes the day a little brighter.

Chrissy, hope it works out with your mom! But if not, why does it have to be a man? Could you just find a normal room mate?

Suja, congrats on the melt-down free day!! Hopefully they become more and more frequent. And I will try to remind you!

Ack, look at S!!! Aw... He looks so grown up now!

So I've switched my routine around. With the sun rising earlier, Maiya is waking earlier. So, I need to go to bed earlier! Which leaves me less time for being online. I like being social, but I like sleep, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Krystal5 View Post
    Chrissy, hope it works out with your mom! But if not, why does it have to be a man? Could you just find a normal room mate?
    Normal, what's that? I actually get along with men (in general) much better than I do women. But I get what you're saying.

I was planning on renting a place with my most reliable friend (that I've known from 2nd grade) but she stopped talking about it. I'm not sure if she didn't get her finances straight like she thought she would by now, or what. But I did text her about moving in with my mom and she was excited. She also lives with her mom right now and had talked about escaping from that. I don't know if she was excited just because she's a good friend and if that's what I wanna do, she's gonna support me, or if she was relieved she was off the hook from our winter bs sessions. I'm going to have to talk to her.

I need either her or my mom. Or a man. But the one I'd like to live with ain't gonna happen for at least a year, I'm sure. So I have to do something in the meantime.

Is Christina's Ultrasound today?
    AKA Lisa724

I think so! I hope she checks in with good news soon.

Chrissy, living with your mom sounds like a good plan for short term. Hopefully the positive things about it will outweigh the fact that she drives you crazy. Is the place big enough that you will have enough of your own space to "escape" once in awhile?

Ah, L, the ol' haircutting rite of passage. I have been pretty lucky that Kai would never cut his hair. He loves it too much. Savana once got a haircut that was uneven and I told her I wanted to fix it so she took it upon herself to fix it. It wasn't any worse than what the woman I paid to do it did so I just let it be. She was so proud.

So mil visit ALMOST went off without a hitch. I bit my tongue so many times. I only really spoke up twice, the second time was a bit ugly. First she started telling Kai that if he drank ice water his arteries would clog up and he would have a heart attack. She told him this while I was at the dentist and when I got home he said, "Gma says if I drink ice water I'm going to have a heart attack." So I asked her about it and she started telling me that ice water is bad and that she didn't exactly say that. I encouraged Kai to do his own research so he asked me to look it up on the computer where I found no reliable source with that info. I read him what I found, about how some people think room temperature water is better for digestion and such but this was found mostly on sites like yahoo answers which I told him is not backed by real evidence. The short of it is that I told him it is up to him. So the next day he asked for Ice and she started in again to which he responded that "Mom looked it up and you're wrong." She argued with me and I just calmly explained that I never want the kids to just blindly follow what any adult tells them, including me, and that we did some reading and that really I don't want him worrying that he is going to have a heart attack if he drinks ice water. She was highly annoyed but let it go. The strange thing is that Savana drinks nothing but ice water and gma never said a word to her about it.

And then yesterday. Oy. Dbf put Kai in a time out and in dbf's usual fashion is what done in anger and Kai was very upset. He was truly crying and I know Kai in that he was very humiliated about getting in trouble in front of anyone. And he always gets extra upset when dbf gets mad at him because he tries so hard to win his approval. I didn't see what happened but apparently he said, "Blah blah blah" while gma was talking to him. Extremely rude, yes, but I'd have pulled him aside and that would have avoided the whole meltdown. Anyway, he went in his room and dbf went in once to talk to him and Kai said he wanted to be alone so dbf walked back out. Immediately after that, mil went in. I was in the kitchen keeping my ears perked and I heard Kai say, "I want to be alone" THREE times. Nicely. And she wouldn't leave. She was saying things like, "This is the room where I'm staying..." (HIS room, which he gave up graciously for 5 whole days) And all he was doing was sitting on the floor crying, it's not like he was digging through her suitcase. So then finally he starts yelling at her to get out and said this is why he HATES having guests. And I don't know what she was going to say because I cut her off at, "Well if you hate having guests..." and at this point I really felt she was actually antagonizing my five year old! So I went in and said, very nicely, that Kai has asked to be alone and that we should respect his feelings. That he is hurt and upset and needs some time alone. She said, "That is not what he said. He said he hates having guests." And I said but he asked you nicely 3 times before that to leave him alone. She said, "Fine!" and walked out of the room and out of the house! She stayed gone until my dad came to take us out to dinner and she stayed clearly upset with me until she left this morning. Even making a comment to my dad whwn he asked if her visit flew by that she felt it was time to go since it is hard to follow the rules in someone else's home.

I'm upset that I worked so hard to keep the peace only to have it blow up in my face at the end. I keep going over it in my head and I'm quite sure that I didn't do anything wrong. Even dbf says so and he doesn't blindly take my side so I take comfort in that. A part of me felt like I should apologize just to make it better but another part of me felt like I should ask her to apologize to Kai!
    Last edited by Bridget; 04-15-2013 at 07:23 AM.

I seriously don't know how you do it. I would not be able to keep my mouth shut. You are way more saint than I am! I'm glad it's over and you get back to normal.
    AKA Lisa724

Thanks for saying that. Sometimes when she is around I feel like a total asshole just for all the things I'm thinking. I was actually really hurt that she treated him that way after I opened up to her about how I felt Kai's rude behavior was often a cover for how sensitive he really is and how i worry about having that middle child syndrome.
    Last edited by Bridget; 04-15-2013 at 07:39 AM.

That sounds awful, Bridget. Now we know where dbf gets his myopic tendencies from. Ugh. Glad you defended Kai from that bs.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov