Page 1339 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 33983912391289132913371338133913401341134913891439 ... LastLast
Results 40,141 to 40,170 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

We don't have carpets or rugs either!

No carpets here either. Dbf kept bringing them home and I'm like STOP, you are only adding, Shake The Rugs to my chore list. There is only one if front of the door that we leave our shoes/boots on. And I'm also not a stickler about shoes off at the door but I pretty much try to keep my house shoes as just house shoes. They are a great pair of wool slip ons with a rubber sole and super comfy but probably not weather resistant. And I'm not one to try to keep my shoes clean outside. Where the kids go I must follow.

Ash, I'm so sorry to hear that you are having a rough time. You never complain and always have such a chipper attitude that I know you must be really feeling it to even say anything. That would bother me very much about your nephews saying that and also that no adult in their lives speaks to them about that sort of attitude. Makes me feel like it isn't something they actually see anything wrong with and that is sad. I'm also sad to hear about your physical pain and hope you can find relief soon. Love ya lady!

Oh Ash I am sorry you are in so much pain and those boys don't sound very nice at all Does it upset Travis?

We had hard floors throughout the whole house until we started remodeling rooms. We've put carpet in our room and Nolan's room (and the new room we're doing will also have carpet). DH prefers carpet, I don't, but I agreed to it for the bedrooms.

I am straight in PJs as soon as I get home. Heels and pants off ASAP We are mostly shoe free, DH is generally pretty good about taking his boots off and switching to his sandals after work, thankfully, those things track everywhere!

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

We have way too much gross carpets. They were kept for Khan. We went flooring shopping today, have a guy coming to measure and give us quotes tomorrow. Leaning towards Brazilian Cherry or Brazilian Koa, although there was a bamboo we really liked as well. The way I'm looking at it, whether we stay here or move, we have to get rid of all this grossness in order to enjoy/sell the house, and the sooner we do it, the better. I'd like all the carpets gone, but DH wants to keep the carpet in the guest bedrooms.

We haven't actually done anything to the house except living in it for the past 12 years. It's about time the house got some attention.

I heard that bamboo scratches easier...is that still true? We were looking at it probably 10 years ago now, so they may have figured that out. I liked it because not only is it gorgeous, but it's very environmentally friendly. Well, as far as hardwood flooring goes.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

We have bamboo in the kitchen and it is softer than the maple in the living room but the scratches on the kitchen floor don't show at all as compared to in the living room. The darker color probably has more to do with it. We have different wood in each room because we bought off craigslist for everything, and then the kids' bedrooms have original wood from when the house was built. That was a lovely suprise when we ripped up the carpet.

Ooo....that would be a nice find! Ours were just plywood under the carpets.

Rich is doing something that he always talked about doing, but never did. I actually started believing he didn't know how. He's making kitchen cupboards and they look really nice. I think me leaving him was a good thing. It's brought out a side of him that he hasn't shown in years. Like, 20 of them.

Ya lit a fire under his ass!

I wanted to let y'all know that Sawyer no longer needs to hold his boots while we nurse. Phew.
    Now he wants his shoes and socks off and he actually sticks his feet up under my shirt for them to come out through the neck hold and put his toes on my face. Good times.

I'm sorry, Ash. Everything sounds tough.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Oh, and I saw your cleaning thread and thought about how Erin had it all figured out and once laid it all out here. Worth a pm on fb? She definitely had a system that seemed to work for her.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Ladies, I'm thinking about all of you but cannot muster up a response except to say I'm reading in sympathy and can't really do even electronic conversation right now. It's the end of a long, hard weekend with the only bright and relaxing spot being Maiya's birthday party.

I was just going to lurk but was reading an article that made me step out of exile and share, because I think some of these innovations might have helped me on the drive yesterday: http://www.digitaltrends.com/lifesty...ar-technology/

Oh, and this thing which I read this morning, and could also relate to: http://reasonsmysoniscrying.tumblr.com/
    Last edited by 3andMe; 04-07-2013 at 09:53 PM.

Bridget, I'm sorry I'm late to comment, but I hope you found a way to approach your MIL. I fear that anyone who would try to impose "her way" in someone else's home like she does may not respond well to even the most tactful confrontation.

Ash, big hugs to you! Everything you feel is totally human. I think it's good that you're honest with yourself about the way you feel. I can have pangs like that too. All the worse if that person seems undeserving. I personally think it's ok to let yourself feel the feelings you're having for awhile. What's more telling about the relationship is - after allowing yourself to feel the feelings - whether or not you can feel happy for your SIL. And would you feel more happy if it were someone else you like more? If you can't feel happy for her, I'd maybe take it as a sign that there's something more behind it than just plain old fleeting envy for a friend, like perhaps you have deeper issues with her character, and have been forcing the friendship a bit to the point where she's not the best use of your time. In that case, it may help to set up a few boundaries where you don't have to spend as much time with her...well as humanly possible for being in-laws anyway.

So sorry I'm nodding off right now. I hope that made some sense. ..
    Last edited by demigraf; 04-08-2013 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Tried to make it make more sense since b woke me up.

Thank you all for the sympathy and advice. Myles, I think you are on to something with what you say about being happy for a friend. I think I will be happy for them in the end. They are so different from dh and me. It pains me to say it, but my Sil is the most shallow person I know, so it is hard to take her in big doses. I feel awful for saying that because she is a nice person who would do anything for us, but her personality is on the other side of the spectrum to mine. She is loud and dramatic about everything.

Katy, thanks for the reminder about Erin's cleaning schedule. I will speak to her.

Bridget, that sounds so cute about Sawyer's nursing position. I think it would drive me nuts because I have issues with being touched too much. I think it's a sensory thing for me.

That blog is brilliant! I wish I had done that now. Would it be stealing if I started one now?
    Last edited by daylilies; 04-08-2013 at 08:43 AM.

I'm the odd one out but I don't really like wood floors. I like how they look but not how they feel under my feet, the lack of traction for the dogs, the coldness, cleaning them, the loudness of them. My parents have them in their house. I picked carpet for mine on purpose. Living room, bedrooms, hallway and the basement stairs are all carpet. Rest of the house is vinyl...I don't like real tile floors because again they are hard and cold.

But we are a mostly no shoes in the house people. I don't have house shoes but I have slippers that are almost shoe like. I cannot be barefoot much at all. I have flat feet and am prone to heel spurs that suck and ending the walking around barefoot really helped with that. I also almost always wear socks.
    I once in a while will run to the bathroom with my shoes on but not often and only if i know they are dry and fairly clean. And I will wipe the dogs feet if it's wet outside and muddy.

I think feeling some jealousy is pretty normal. I know I have certainly been there! I don't mind shallow people too much but not if they are super braggy and mean spirited about it.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I felt like a horrible mom this morning. I am not quite sure what is going on with Nolan lately, but the meltdown-crying that keeps happening is driving me up the wall.

This morning - he didn't like his shoes. He just stood there, hands in his mouth, crying like I had beat him It took us 15mins to get from all the bags in my arms, to the truck, because he kept stopping to do this little meltdown thing all the way out the door. I finally stopped said "we need to leave" picked him up and put him in his carseat. Him crying the whole time.

Same thing happens at night during bathtime, meltdown last night because he didn't want me/daddy to help him brush his teeth.....

It happens all day, but it is generally worse in the mornings and at night so I am going to try putting him to bed a little earlier and see if that helps any.

Anyway, don't know what my point is here. Just 'talking' it out??

We've all been through that. It'll pass.

True, Christina. It will pass (then come back again, then pass again, then show up again when he's age 4 and wants to leave the house with his boxer briefs on his head). Hang in there, mama!

then he'll be 14 and get engaged on Facebook

For a mother, it never really ends. Don't let anyone (even me!) lie to you.

Holy balls Chrissy, you certainly are getting a lot thrown at you at once, huh? How old is she again? 14?

Ash, have you thought about seeing a chiropractor? Often, pain like that is directly related to a misalignment of your spine and some simple adjustments can make it worlds better without drugs or invasive procedures. I had wrist tendinitis and a few visits to my chiro made it go completely away.

L, Your adventures leave me exhausted just reading, I don't know how you do it. We are active and do a lot of stuff, but I never seem to have any wild stories like you!
    AKA Lisa724

Gosh, Chrissy. Do you think she's just "going through the motions" of being engaged because she sees her sister doing it too? Also, doesn't she need your permission to get married at that age? I hope this didn't give you a heart attack this morning.

Thanks mamas. I know it is just a phase, so I keep telling myself, I am just trying to figure out how to keep my hair during the whole process

WOW! Well... that's interesting Chrissy. and yes, she most certainly needs a parents signature to get married. I had to have mine sign and I was 17 for goodness sake.

Chrissy, is she serious or is she just being cute?

I forgot to tell you guys I'm helping hold down the fort in the church nursery/toddler room on Sundays all spring. Yesterday was the first day and it is just the cutest bunch of kids.

I saw that earlier Chrissy. Hopefully it's more of a joke kind of thing.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I also hope it is a joke thing Chrissy I would probably be nutso mom if I saw that. Y'all speaking of my cleaning has reminded me that I am not cleaning how I used to since my relatives are around. I am about to kick them out in a few weeks as my aunt did find a job and I figure she should have money to move saved up by then. Her sons help clean up but they do a half-assed job and I am one of those people who feel that if you don't want to do it right, then you shouldn't do it at all. For instance, when cleaning the kitchen, they will not wash pots and/or pans, they will not sweep the floor and they will not wipe off various surfaces like counters or my kitchen table and the stove especially, but they will wash the dishes. That crap really upsets me. It shouldn't but it does and I don't like it. My aunt thinks she is doing me a favor by having them clean and then she will make excuses for them if I say they did a poor job. Excuses are one thing that upsets me too, excuses and complaining, so I will stop my own complaining lol. For some reason here at work, I still cannot make paragraphs on this forum. Maybe they need to upgrade something.

Quote Originally Posted by MashedUp View Post
    Holy balls Chrissy, you certainly are getting a lot thrown at you at once, huh? How old is she again? 14?
    Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Gosh, Chrissy. Do you think she's just "going through the motions" of being engaged because she sees her sister doing it too? Also, doesn't she need your permission to get married at that age? I hope this didn't give you a heart attack this morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    Thanks mamas. I know it is just a phase, so I keep telling myself, I am just trying to figure out how to keep my hair during the whole process

WOW! Well... that's interesting Chrissy. and yes, she most certainly needs a parents signature to get married. I had to have mine sign and I was 17 for goodness sake.
    Yes, it's a phase. To be quickly replaced by something else worrisome and annoying

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Chrissy, is she serious or is she just being cute?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I saw that earlier Chrissy. Hopefully it's more of a joke kind of thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    I also hope it is a joke thing Chrissy I would probably be nutso mom if I saw that. Y'all speaking of my cleaning has reminded me that I am not cleaning how I used to since my relatives are around. I am about to kick them out in a few weeks as my aunt did find a job and I figure she should have money to move saved up by then. Her sons help clean up but they do a half-assed job and I am one of those people who feel that if you don't want to do it right, then you shouldn't do it at all. For instance, when cleaning the kitchen, they will not wash pots and/or pans, they will not sweep the floor and they will not wipe off various surfaces like counters or my kitchen table and the stove especially, but they will wash the dishes. That crap really upsets me. It shouldn't but it does and I don't like it. My aunt thinks she is doing me a favor by having them clean and then she will make excuses for them if I say they did a poor job. Excuses are one thing that upsets me too, excuses and complaining, so I will stop my own complaining lol. For some reason here at work, I still cannot make paragraphs on this forum. Maybe they need to upgrade something.
    Ugh, that would upset me too Erin. If you're going to clean, do the whole **** thing!

And I'm not sure if she's kidding, but she's not going to run away (right now) or anything. She's head-over-heels in puppy-love with him. The part that worries me a little is the fact that he was rather insistent he wanted to talk to me or Rich last night. I finally agreed to text with him and he's going on and on about his plans for his future and how just hearing Syd's voice calms him. He's just as nuts as she is. So the two crazies cause alarm for me. I'm hoping if we just be quiet this will take its own course and end up as nothing. He lives in Mississippi, so it's not like I have to worry about her getting pregnant or anything. But, she might run off to be with him when she's 16 or something. It's definitely worth keeping my eye on.

Mississippi?!? How in the world did she meet him?

and E that would bug me if someone else did that. Someone else, because I do it sometimes myself when time calls for such things

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    Mississippi?!? How in the world did she meet him?

and E that would bug me if someone else did that. Someone else, because I do it sometimes myself when time calls for such things
    Oh, he used to go to school with her when she went to Candor. He relocated but they stayed friends on Facebook. Stupid Facebook. It's evil!

Oh so an online thing? Yeah that is helpful in one way but a different set of worries in another way.

My MIL was for real engaged at 15. But had known DH's dad forever since they grew up together and he was friends with her older brothers. I think she was 19 when they got married after he got out of the service. My own mom got married at 18 right after high school. But yeah all that is just a bit on the young side! Especially at 14.

Um if you aren't washing the pots and pans, you aren't doing the dishes! The counter would annoy me too. Stove, well I'm guilty of that myself. I just HATE cleaning the stovetop and so I don't do it all the time unless there is something obviously spilled on it.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36