Page 1320 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 320 820 1220 1270 131013181319132013211322 1330 1370 1420 ... LastLast
Results 39,571 to 39,600 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Well Bridget if you don't end up moving, each year the kids should be starting to get better about getting their own snow clothes on. Just watched the news and we have now had over 66 inches of snow this season and it might not be done. Currently snow is 17 inches deep where it's flat. My mailbox is in a pile of snow so it's like this mound of snow with an door that opens in the middle of it for the mail. LOL I don't so much mind the cold, it's really not that cold right now with 20's and 30's during the day....it's just the wind and snow. I'm just tired of driving in it! And putting on winter boots.
    One benefit is I like wearing sweaters and it's easy to dress for work...pants and a sweater. And weekends you can grocery shop without a bra...by the time you put on a winter coat and a big scarf, even I can get away without one and that is DDD's.

But yeah I am ready to get the dogs out more. Cosmo goes out for potty but not Molly. And right now the snow is over their heads and I have only so much shoveled out.

Chrissy I'm so sorry for your loss.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

See and I don't hate the winter. I like spring, like the fall, like snow at first, even kind of like those Jan days where it's brighter than bright and the air is so crisp it almost takes your breath away. I like running the fireplace. I'm just over the snow and ready for the change. I saw the giant flakes, saw the trees all sparking with snow. I don't like the heat or the bugs. I don't like to sweat, don't like summer clothes as much. I don't wear shorts and have like one pair of capris. Ok I will wear shorts in my yard but that is it. The idea of not having such a drastic change in seasons I think would bother me.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Not to gloat (well, I am) but the weather has been incredible here once it finally warmed up. High 80's over the weekend, sunny and just perfect. Although it might not sound like it, this winter has been much longer and colder than we usually get. What with our day of snow and all! But now we're right at that time of year where I remember why I live here. You'd think with our ridiculous summers we'd have nice winters, but we don't. Gloomy and rainy and huge temperature shifts down into freezing.

Bridget, I am SO glad you are happy with that curriculum. I was thinking there were at least 3-4 different superflex "villains" to apply to Kai's situation today! I would definitely blame the candy, though. Somehow processed sugar hits the system way harder than natural sugar, even maple sugar. Just like a straight shot.

Suja, how are you doing today?
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Suja, I am so sorry to hear about Khan. I know it's been a little while since you wrote and it's been a while since I posted in here, but I've been wanting to tell you that. I'm sure you've been thinking of nothing else.

Um yeah so it was wind chill of -10 this morning. And my van almost got stuck on my street in a snow drift. Even though plows went through last night, one spot was drifted almost to my waist across a huge portion of the street. I almost walked home and got a shovel but got out. And my ABS brakes were getting a workout as one of the streets I have to go down was awfully slick. This what January feels like, not spring!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Chrissy, I'm so sorry. I hope that you and the kids will be okay.

The vet is coming home tomorrow morning to put Khan down. We're trying to give him some really good time, whatever he has left with us. I am completely at peace with the decision, though. That's about the only thing I am 100% sure of. Doesn't make it any easier.

We had some old friends stop by to say goodbye to him, and we had such a lovely time, remembering Khan's good old days, all the dogs we've lost, the new dogs, etc. I met these folks because of Khan, and now we've reconnected because of him. Just the best dog ever.

I've only scanned the posts from the last day or so. I'm sorry if I missed anything important.

Suja. I'm glad you're a peace but still..it's never an easy decision. I'm thinking of you guys.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Hugs Suja.

Sorry about Tigger, Chrissy

I feel the same way as you do about winter-it seems to come sooner and last longer every year. Josh doesn't even like to go out in the snow very much. He'll go if I suggest it but he never comes home and says "Let's play outside!" Not that I really want to go out in it either but I just remember staying out in the snow forever when I was a kid...while my parents stayed inside. LOL

Oh, so much sad news about some of our furbabies!

Chrissy, I'm sorry to hear about Tigger. I hope the kids took it ok once they found out. There are always a lot of questions to answer, especially with the young ones.

Suja, my heart is breaking for you over Khan. I know how much love you gave that dog. Be glad that you gave him a good life. He was lucky to have you.

Chrissy, I'm sorry about Tigger.

Suja, so sorry about Khan. Chrissy, sorry about Tigger. It's really hard to say goodbye to our pets.

The only time I like winter is Christmas time. At that time the snow is magical and everything is beautiful, peaceful, and hopeful. After Christmas snow becomes a big pain in the ass. When I lived in Alaska I was frozen most of the time. When you're a kid, you deal with the cold and snow. But as an adult that has to shovel and shovel and shovel all winter long. Ugh. Now granted I hate the summers here. It's so **** hot and humid. But no place is perfect, I just deal with it. I love this time of year when we have our doors open and there is a nice breeze and it's the high 70's. I know the wall of heat is approaching though. Chrissy you would love Florida. Bridget, have you heard of a show called Hawaii Life on HGTV. It's about finding your dream home in Hawaii, made me think of you.

G's teacher told me that he told her "my name is Gilbert, but I prefer Gilly" ha!
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

That's so sweet. I remember distinctly not knowing who the teacher was referring to when she was taking attendance and called "Christina" My name was "Chrissy"

All the snow in my front yard is up to my waist...from what has fallen plus what DH has been blowing out of the drive way and sidewalks. In my back yard that is a drift that is 5 ft tall....Easy to tell how tall because my neighbor has a six foot fence. Happy Spring. I don't even feel like pulling out my few little easter decorations.

Kids definitely have their name preferences. I have always been a Jennifer. My sister is a Roxanne and likes Rocky but HATES Roxie. Which I think is cute and call her that once in a while to bug her.

Suja.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I'm a Katherine. I was Katy for a few years when I was little and then I decided I was "just Kate". When I went to my family reunion I announced it to everyone. One of my cousins still calls me "Just Kate".
    So I was Kate and then when I switched high schools (I went to a private one starting in 10th grade) I tried the nickname KJ on for size but it never stuck because I got tired of correcting everyone. So it was back to Kate. When I went to college I was Katherine, and then back to Kate again. LOL And I hate it when people call me Katy even when I tell them my name is Kate. It makes no sense to me.

I told my parents around age three that my name was Mandy and they weren't to call me Amanda. LOL!

DH thinks Mandy is childish and calls me Amanda most of the time. My mom calls me by my full name, too. Other than that, I have tried being Amanda a couple of times as an adult, and I always feel that people don't really know who I am unless they know me well enough to call me Mandy. So I gave up. Mandy it is!

Except I work with a Gwen and I'm constantly worried I'll respond when someone asks her a question. I haven't yet, though.

OMG. Reading through developmental history forms (that parents fill out before we see the kids) and one mother put that her baby weighed 17lbs at birth. There is a checkbox for delivery type and she checked vaginal.

That HAS to be a typo - right? Nobody could have a 17lb baby, much less vaginally?

17 pounds...yikes! I thought pushing out a 6.5 pounder was hard work!

I love being called Ash but don't mind being called Ashley. I do hate when people spell my name "Ashleigh" though. Cash has started to realize that his mum and dad aren't just "mummy" and "daddy." The other day Rich asked me a question from another room and shouted my name; Cash turned to me and said, "Ash? Mummy, Ash?" I answered him, "Yes, you are Cash and I am Ash." LOL. We knew there'd be confusion when we named him a name so close to my own.

We have Travis' parent-teacher conference tomorrow...I'm hoping we hear good things from the teachers. He is reading so well these days and enjoys it, and that makes me so very proud! I some times forget that I should be quizzing him more on math type things since we love to read so much! He did tell me he showed the teacher that he can count in 10's up to 100 today.

Wow, I'm impressed that he can count to 100 by 10's.

How cute about "Mummy, Ash?"

Mandy, they expect kids here at the age of 5/6 to be able to count up to 100 in 2's, 3's, etc! I'm always impressed by the kids that can do it because I don't think I could have done that at that age. I'm actually impressed with Travis and his counting skills. He knows his tens because we've practiced that one a few times and he has a very sharp memory. I held up 8 fingers today and then put the 3 on one hand down and said to him the math sentence to go along with it and asked him the answer; he straight away answered "5." There are some 9 year olds in my class who would still count each indvidual finger instead of knowing that one hand is 5, so I think he's doing OK.

Wow, that's really great! I couldn't have done that at his age.

He sounds very smart, Ash! Josh is just now learning stuff like that in K.

Oh my, Ash! I am struggling with remembering the cursive I learned in grade school! I can't imagine having to change the way I'm used to writing my whole life.

Chrissy, I have not had the chance to say sorry about Tigger And hugs to you again, Suja.

I cried at my endodontic appt today. Have you even heard that word before, endodonic? I hadn't. Anyway, awkward! I tried so hard to hold my tears in but a couple escaped out and then he was so sympathetic it made me want to cry more! Lol. Basically he can do the procedure they do on a reinfected root canal tooth where they come in through the gum and clean up the infection and basically put in a fake root so the bone will grow back around it. But he says that my bone has already deteriorated so much that he can only give about 40% chance that it will even work. The other option is the word I most dreaded to hear and the one that induced tears. Extraction. Not only is that awful to think about, not having a tooth for any amount of time...but it's going to cost so much more than we can afford and put us right into debt. What would y'all do if you were me? I mean, the logical thing seems like I should do the extraction. Even he said that's what he would do and it's not like he's trying to milk me for money because they don't even do that procedure there. They are strictly root canals. But the other procedure is so much simpler and less costly (thought still close to 2,000). Whaaaaaa!

Oh, Bridget. I wish I had some good advice, but I don't.

Bridget, even without the 'only 40% chance' I would advise against a root canal. I've known many, many people that have had them done and nearly everyone has later ended up having that tooth removed in less than 5 years anyway. Why spend that kind of money?

I'm sorry. I'd definitely be trying to figure out how to have a fake one implanted or something. Shop around. You may find it more affordable elsewhere, or perhaps even one that would take payments.

Sorry about the tooth, Bridget. The logical thing to do would be to extract it. Can't you put in a fake tooth or something?

Could you do a temp fake tooth? My MIL has a fake one and it fits almost more like a retainer. She would like to get a permanent one but doesn't really have the money. And don't feel bad about crying, I think most people would when getting bad news like that.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I would have cried too Bridget.

Oh Bridget, I am so sorry about the tooth... I'm so sorry, wish I had some advice... Whatever you end up doing, I hope you are feeling better soon!

This is the 3rd outdoor birthday party in April I've planned, and it is much harder this year than the previous two! The predictions are changing rapidly... Remember I said this coming weekend was looking gorgeous? It was predicted for 75 and sunny. It is now 65 and mostly sunny. But NEXT weekend, Easter weekend, which was predicted at low 60s and some showers, is now showing 75 and sunny. <sigh> And, Easter weekend is surrounded by Fri with a high of 63, cloudy, and rain. And Monday, at 55, overcast, and "colder".

Now I'm tempted to have her party the day before Easter, but hubby STILL doesn't want to, even with more notice. April is completely out, so that leaves May, but my birthday is in May, and I can tell you from many years of experience trying to plan an outdoor party for myself, that May's weather isn't necessarily nicer here...

Maybe we'll just skip her birthday party, hah!

I also want to do something fun for her on her actual birthday, just with us... Not sure what yet. Any ideas?

Bridget, your tooth is just loose right? Would it harm anything to just leave it alone and perhaps let it 'fall' out on its own? Or at least wait until it's significantly loser? There's a chance it could hang in there for a long time...maybe even years.

Quote Originally Posted by Krystal5 View Post
    Oh Bridget, I am so sorry about the tooth... I'm so sorry, wish I had some advice... Whatever you end up doing, I hope you are feeling better soon!

This is the 3rd outdoor birthday party in April I've planned, and it is much harder this year than the previous two! The predictions are changing rapidly... Remember I said this coming weekend was looking gorgeous? It was predicted for 75 and sunny. It is now 65 and mostly sunny. But NEXT weekend, Easter weekend, which was predicted at low 60s and some showers, is now showing 75 and sunny. <sigh> And, Easter weekend is surrounded by Fri with a high of 63, cloudy, and rain. And Monday, at 55, overcast, and "colder".

Now I'm tempted to have her party the day before Easter, but hubby STILL doesn't want to, even with more notice. April is completely out, so that leaves May, but my birthday is in May, and I can tell you from many years of experience trying to plan an outdoor party for myself, that May's weather isn't necessarily nicer here...

Maybe we'll just skip her birthday party, hah!

I also want to do something fun for her on her actual birthday, just with us... Not sure what yet. Any ideas?
    I'm sure whatever you end up doing, the kids will have a great time. They never seem to be as bothered by the cold.