Page 121 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 21711111191201211221231311712216211121 ... LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,630 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by gwennero View Post
    Now THERE'S a visual!

I haven't been camping in years! That sounds like so much fun.
    We going camping.

This place we're going to is the one we went to last time. I usually require a shower but this place is only 10 bucks a night compared to the 30 we usually pay.
    Janeen - 30, Jimi - 42; Married October 21st, 2006;

Quote Originally Posted by maggie View Post
    I confess that it really makes me angry when people are so pig headed and mean about public school teachers, especially when we have so many on the boards. School teachers are mostly AMAZING and I didn't have many that were super biased and trying to get me to hate my parents for their beliefs or hate myself for mine. I did have lots of teachers that made me THINK, which I guess to some people is a big no-no. Like fine, if you want to homeschool, do your own thing, I guess, but there is no need to insult so many people along the way. Gee, that turned into a rant.
    I confess that I have thought about homeschooling but a big part of me says no way in fear of seclusion and lack of exposure to all kinds of different things.

I confess that I knew this woman who homeschooled her children and you could tell that these little girls were kind of recluses. They seemed kind of empty and I feel that had a big part to do with the lack of exposure and seclusion I mentioned. I know it doesn't have to be that way but I just think it kind of is more times than not. Just my opinion of course.

I did have lots of teachers that made me THINK, which I guess to some people is a big no-no. Like fine, if you want to homeschool, do your own thing, I guess, but there is no need to insult so many people along the way. Gee, that turned into a rant.
    Yes

Wow, my modus operandi today is just quoting people who say things more eloquently and saying "Yes". Sigh.

shutterbird Guest

I confess that it really makes me angry when people are so pig headed and mean about public school teachers, especially when we have so many on the boards. School teachers are mostly AMAZING and I didn't have many that were super biased and trying to get me to hate my parents for their beliefs or hate myself for mine. I did have lots of teachers that made me THINK, which I guess to some people is a big no-no. Like fine, if you want to homeschool, do your own thing, I guess, but there is no need to insult so many people along the way. Gee, that turned into a rant.
    EXACTLY! And yes, there are definitely people out there that don't want their own children to think - mine parents included. I wasn't allowed to form my own opinions until I moved out of my parent's home, which is one of the reasons I'm so ****ed intent on letting Lorelai discover her own beliefs, in her own time. I remember feeling so oppressed and jaded because I was the liberal/atheiest/black sheep in my my pretty conservative, miltary-loving, god-fearing family.

Sorry for the back history, but you completely hit the nail on the head here.

Quote Originally Posted by WillowSpy View Post
    Yes

Wow, my modus operandi today is just quoting people who say things more eloquently and saying "Yes". Sigh.

Yes!
    Kate, mama to Madi (4/18/08) and Jacob (10/8/10)

I confess that I think I'm going to be a big pizza face during this pregnancy. I'm breaking out so bad!

shutterbird Guest

I confess I've been stalking baby bumps tonight and I want another child so freaking bad. I wish DH and I were in the position to adopt NOW.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I confess I actually had no idea how my parents felt about most things, including politics and religion--they never talked about it. We never had talks about current events. Growing up without a tv or a radio or newspapers, I didn't know anything that was going on. I remember feeling really ignorant in school and admiring my friends who were well-versed in current events and pop culture. I am also grateful to all of my teachers, who helped me think and develop and evaluate information and form opinions of my own.

It is only lately that I have started asking my parents how they feel about issues. It never occurred to me before.

i confess i hate it when ppl post about religion, public school ,politics in such hatefull way and the state of mind of im right that when someone contradics(sp) or questions something they get all panty twisted u know ur gonna get replies if u dont want any write it down in ur diary n let it go shis
    i confess i have deleted one to many replys

i confess i like confessing

I confess I have mixed feeling about homeschooling. I know many areas have structured activities parents can involve their homeschooled kids in, but parents have to take the initiative and do it, and I don't know that the social interaction is as rounded as attending school outside the home.

I confess we have toyed with the idea of homeschooling Liam when older - that, or we have to move to get into a different school district before he hits high school.
    Krista & Jonathan: Liam, our one and only, born 9 Sep 2008

I confess....I may have come off more anti-homeschooling in my little rant there than I actually am. I do understand why some people would want to do it - I can think of a bunch of pretty good reasons. But I don't think its ALWAYS the best choice for the kids. Not everyone is a great teacher, especially of their own kids. My mom is actually a really fantastic teacher (ballet, not school)...to everyone but ME, pretty much. I'm so glad she didn't home school me, it would have been big trouble. Why am I going on about this? I don't know. Rambling.

Anyway, all I meant was that if people want to homeschool, thats A-OK with me, but I get irritated when people say that they are homeschooling because of made up reasons (like, the teachers are trying to turn their kids against them, like the media, its a huge liberal CONSPIRACY!).

But I also come from a place with very well funded public schools in general. When I hear about some of the school situations in the states, it is shocking to me. Still...don't blame the teachers! They aren't responsible for the lack of funding, etc. bah. I'm still ranting.

I confess my real problem is that I got basically NO sleep last night. How on earth did I function when Norah was a baby and never slept at night? Oh, right. I didn't. (yawn).
    Norah! (3 yr)

re: the homeschooling comments--I have a friend who is homeschooling her younger 2, who are only 3 and 5 now, so I don't know how long she plans on doing it for. Actually she calls it "unschooling" and I'm not sure of the difference. Anyway she just involves them in playgroups and has made lots of friends who unschool or homeschool. She goes to homeschooling conferences around the country all the time and the kids make friends there. I think the social aspect can be there. It just seems like the parents would have to work harder at bringing the peers to their children, since the children are not going to their peers in the school setting.

I confess living in England does have its benefits sometimes. When I first moved here, I thought I'd eventually go back to America one day. Now that I've been here 6 1/2 years, I don't think I want to be anywhere else.

I confess I came in here to confess I'm losing my mind. I could not find the picture hooks yesterday so I asked DH to find them and put them out for me. He did, and I was in the process of hanging some pictures today. I got distracted and when I got back to work I could not find the hooks again! So I practically tore the house apart looking for them. I sat down to take a rest and post to you guys about it and guess what! They're next to the computer! Guess I know what I was distracted by when I lost them!

shutterbird Guest

I confess Kate, you need to post some pics of your new home!

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbird View Post
    I confess Kate, you need to post some pics of your new home!
    Oh! I think I did, a long time ago, before our stuff was in here. I can take some pics now, but I have to wait for DH to come home to help me upload them! Things are still coming along, so it's nothing amazing yet!

Quote Originally Posted by silverstar View Post
    I confess living in England does have its benefits sometimes. When I first moved here, I thought I'd eventually go back to America one day. Now that I've been here 6 1/2 years, I don't think I want to be anywhere else.

I know the feeling! For me the longer I've been out of the US the fewer reasons I can see for going back. And I've only been gone 3 1/2 years. No plans to return anytime soon...
    "Reserving judgments is a matter of infinite hope." F. Scott Fitzgerald

I confess due to all the fires our camping trip for this weekend is canceled. It would have been Leo's first time too.

I also confess that a part of me is relieved because its a pain packing and unpacking, getting all the dirt out of the clothes, and having to deal with the inlaws all weekend. Not to mention how much is spent on gas and food and propane. Sshhhhh...
    Anna Mommy to 4 boys!! 16 yrs., 14 yrs., 7 yrs., and baby.
    Mean people produce little mean people!!

shutterbird Guest

Quote Originally Posted by silverstar View Post
    Yay for finding "home".

Quote Originally Posted by heartmyboyz View Post
    I confess due to all the fires our camping trip for this weekend is canceled. It would have been Leo's first time too.

I also confess that a part of me is relieved because its a pain packing and unpacking, getting all the dirt out of the clothes, and having to deal with the inlaws all weekend. Not to mention how much is spent on gas and food and propane. Sshhhhh...
    Definitely sounds bittersweet! Maybe another weekend?

I confess you are all fantastically fantastic.

I confess people are driving me crazy.

shutterbird Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stephmama View Post
    I confess you are all fantastically fantastic.

I confess people are driving me crazy.
    I confess I agree x 2.

Word sucka.

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    I hardly ever go into political threads. It's too difficult to change the minds of those with whom I disagree, and usually someone else has said what I would have wanted to say, only more eloquently. I read them though, and am usually shocked by what different people say--it gives me a broader grasp of how people across the country are thinking, as opposed to my liberal haven here. And it helps me realize why certain laws are on the books or why certain presidents got elected.
    Mmmmhmmm.

I confess......
    AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

There, my head feels better after all that bangin'!

Ashley - 25, Chris - 27, Elizabeth - 9-22-04, Alexis - 12-19-08

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    I confess I actually had no idea how my parents felt about most things, including politics and religion--they never talked about it. We never had talks about current events. Growing up without a tv or a radio or newspapers, I didn't know anything that was going on. I remember feeling really ignorant in school and admiring my friends who were well-versed in current events and pop culture. I am also grateful to all of my teachers, who helped me think and develop and evaluate information and form opinions of my own.

It is only lately that I have started asking my parents how they feel about issues. It never occurred to me before.
    I confess that my parents were kind of the opposite, or my mom was. She rammed her views down our throats and I was afraid to oppose because she was kind of a my way or the highway mom. Even now I don't discuss certain things with her because she can't see past what she thinks and if I think different then she feels like she failed me somehow. Although, thankfully she has changed her strict Catholic viewpoints and questioning much of what she rammed down our throats then.
    I confess I feel bad saying anything remotely negative about her because she's sick. I do love her dearly. I only wish she'd been a bit more flexible and open when we were growing up.

I confess my parents never spoke of their political"ness" either. And really, they've never had strong political views. They never associated with dems or repubs. My mom has never voted in her ENTIRE life until this past year for Obama. I was so proud of her! Not for voting for HIM, but for voting! Made me a little teary eyed watching it. LOL. Isn't that supposed to be the other way around??

Quote Originally Posted by elmobo-n-lexi View Post
    I confess my parents never spoke of their political"ness" either. And really, they've never had strong political views. They never associated with dems or repubs. My mom has never voted in her ENTIRE life until this past year for Obama. I was so proud of her! Not for voting for HIM, but for voting! Made me a little teary eyed watching it. LOL. Isn't that supposed to be the other way around??
    My parents were never really passionate about politics either. But watch out now! Hanging out with my mom is like being at an Obama convention. Seriously, short of flag waving and pin wearing, she get crazy when she gets going. It's really cute.

And yes, I realize it looks like I really contradicted myself there! Her viewpoints she vocalized were more based on religion and her old school belief system. Not much politics.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetwu75 View Post
    My parents were never really passionate about politics either. But watch out now! Hanging out with my mom is like being at an Obama convention. Seriously, short of flag waving and pin wearing, she get crazy when she gets going. It's really cute.
    AW that is so sweet actually! Just because she's so passionate about it now. I like patriotism...ESPECIALLY when it's for the guy I like. JK

Quote Originally Posted by elmobo-n-lexi View Post
    AW that is so sweet actually! Just because she's so passionate about it now. I like patriotism...ESPECIALLY when it's for the guy I like. JK
    Yes, this is one subject my mom and I can agree on 100% which is nice. Plus it's great for her to have this focus and energy for something she sees as positive. She needs as much positive energy as she can muster up right now. I gotta admit though, I feel like hiding in the back yard sometimes when I go over there and she's all, "DID YOU CALL YOUR SENATOR TODAY?"
    It's like I'm back in fifth grade, "Sorry mom, I forgot."