Page 1165 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 16566510651115115511631164116511661167117512151265 ... LastLast
Results 34,921 to 34,950 of 44505

Thread: Secular Confessions

Mandy, there IS a reason I specified a Giant Schnauzer. I'm not fond of standards either.

I was wondering about a schnauzer too. Was looking though a dog breed book tonight. I have only met mini's before (and really liked him).

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I'm sure the Giants have a very different personality. That's usually the case. I just don't want to think of the insane psychopath and I'm sure I'd still be reminded.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

what about a doberman? I love dogs but would be very wary of one of those if i didn't know it personally.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I'm not sure how good they are with kids? They aren't my favorites or DH's honestly but if it was the right dog I would be fine with one.

Serious, serious, serious health problems in the breed that shortens lifespans, unfortunately. If you are interested, I could talk to my Dobie friend (I've been active in a dog group for a dozen years, and know lots of excellent dog people with decades of experience with various breeds. I'm one of the least experienced members of the group.).

If that's the case I'd rather go with a Great Dane over a Dobermann.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Oh, now that's a gorgeous dog. Love.

I hope you don't mind, but I've asked my dog friends for input. I personally think that danes are a good choice, especially if you go with lines that have health testing and proven longevity (if buying), or a smaller Dane (if adopting). I mean, a smaller Dane is still a pretty big dog.

I love these dogs: http://www.chromadane.com/

3andMe is online now Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

My aunt does Great Dane rescue and always has at least 3 or 4 at her house. My kids love them, and they are invariably as gentle as can be, and they are quiet and well-behaved.

Danes are very high on my list. Who is going to convince DH that's the dog for us? Suja, with your connections I'm sure we can find a dog with a good bloodline.

Weims are beautiful dogs. Requires A LOT of exercise, and a little on the 'elevator doesn't go all the way to the top' side. How about a Ridgeback? Not as high maintenance as a Weimaraner.

So DH is getting interested if we could find a dog from a good bloodline. But he wants to know a price range...

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Danes are very high on my list. Who is going to convince DH that's the dog for us? Suja, with your connections I'm sure we can find a dog with a good bloodline.
    Mandy, I can send you Pan, but she might drool all over DH's pants and make things worse. If you are seriously interested, check out DOL (danesonline.com). I haven't been there in ages, but there are tons of amazing Dane people there. Be careful of people soliciting you with offers of a puppy - generally, they are unscrupulous. And I would not consider any dog that does not appear in the OFA database (offa.org).

Thanks for your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    So DH is getting interested if we could find a dog from a good bloodline. But he wants to know a price range...
    4 figures. A LOT depends on how far you are willing to look, and what color you want. Fawns and Blacks are generally cheapest, and harlequins and mantles are most expensive. Fawns and blacks, I believe you can find around $1000. With these dogs especially, a little upfront investment will save you a lot of money and potential heartache down the road. If you are willing to consider it, Dane rescue is also an excellent option.

Oh, and mismarks are possible, and those might be even less expensive.
    Last edited by Suja; 09-05-2012 at 11:01 PM.

That's about what I was thinking. I'm not sure whether we plan to buy or rescue but we'll look at it.

I <3 weimeraners.
    AKA Lisa724

I would love to have a Ridgeback. My previous boss had one and he was such a nice dog. When dh and I were in South Africa, we met 2 Ridgebacks and they were really great dogs. We have pictures of toddler G running around the lawn with the 2 dogs.

I think when he comes time for a dog, we will find a shelter dog. Any advice there Suja? what signs to look for? A dog that will be friends with G. I don't want a hairy dog that will shed a lot. My niece has a German shepherd and they have tumbleweeds of hair. no thanks!
    Shelley-mom to DS, 5

Weimeraners always make me think of the movie 'Best in Show' one of all time favorite movies. "did you pinch her? did you provoke her?" that dogs owners were high strung to the max!!
    Shelley-mom to DS, 5

and speaking of dogs, I must share this hilarious website http://dog-shaming.com/
    When I had dogs, I could have filled that website. My dachshund Danka was the biggest chow hound that ever lived. If I caught her into something she shouldn't have, she would eat faster. She had no shame what so ever. One time I caught her trying to eat a WHOLE cantaloupe. She left teeth marks on the rind.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 5

I Love GSD's. They're so gorgeous and they just look like a very trustworthy and loyal animal. When we were looking at getting a dog we looked into them but I'm glad we didn't go with them because they seem very high maintenance especially for a first dog. We love Bo! He's so much better with the cats now. He goes right up to both of them and they don't mind. They don't love it but there's no running away or hissing or barking like there was before. He's great with Josh, too.

Best in Show is a great movie. I love all those movies (the director's name escapes me now) but those mockumentaries always crack me up.

LOL My parents one dog is part doxie and he's a little piglet. They had to get him a special bowl to help slow him down.

I'm torn because I LOVE the idea of rescue dogs. My sister found the doxie walking the street and my parents kept him (they contacted the shelter and he is chipped so the man was contacted and said it was his dog but when they brought him over, he said that isn't my dog. And they watched for a long time to see if anyone put out a missing ad for him...nothing). Now my sister has a big lab mix that she got from the humane society.
    But as hard as a puppy can be and as expensive as they are....all the shots and the spay....there is something about bonding right away with that little baby and starting off the training exactly how you want it.
    And Cosmo was very accepting of a puppy....she doesn't always like all other dogs.

Speaking of which, is there a great way to get dogs to like each other? Cosmo is fine with my parents boys...one she has known since he was a baby and the other is the doxie but he doesn't bother her....the doxie and Molly are too busy always playing together to bother Cosmo. Now my sister has Koda. And the introductions didn't go that smoothly....first one was at my sisters house and he didn't like others in his yard. He is a great dog with people and fantastic with the kids....but other dogs in his yard not so much. He does ok at my parents house with their two boys. So she brought him over there to try it. It was definitely better than at his house. Until I was stupid and made the mistake of petting him and talking to him. I should have known better as Cosmo is definitely a momma's girl and has always been kind of possessive about me but it's been a long time since I saw that. Well after she was like yap yap yap at him, he was ticked at her. So than later one went to sniff the other and that was not allowed so of course when she tried to sniff him, he shut her down. If they were the same size, I would be inclined to let them work it out. But he's got a very large mouth and he would win. So we just had a bunch of adults watching them and I chastised Cosmo and Koda's moms stepped in front of him (or my dad....Dad loves Koda and has been around him a lot). Molly was smart and kind of a chicken so she kept her distance from him.
    Cosmo normally gets along with other dogs pretty well so I'm hoping after a few more introductions they can be friends or at least tolerate each other. My sister has only had Koda for two months.

Below is the whole family on my side. Cosmo is the black and white, next to her is my Molly dolly. Than Chewie the doxie mix and Charlie the bichon/shih tzu mix. On the floor is the big boy Koda. Cosmo didn't even want to look at Koda.

All five doggies.jpg

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Kate I was going to ask you how Bo was doing! This is my Poogle....beagle poodle mix. It's been fun seeing how much she has changed from the puppy we brought home to the shaggy girl she is now. Even better that we love how cute she turned out. And we really love how good natured she is.....DH is a bit of a tease and likes to mess around with the girls and we couldn't have a dog that was serious and couldn't take a joke.

Molly.jpgPoogle in chair.jpgMolly hanging around.jpg
    Last edited by Cosmosmom; 09-06-2012 at 08:23 AM.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by raspberry View Post
    I think when he comes time for a dog, we will find a shelter dog. Any advice there Suja? what signs to look for? A dog that will be friends with G. I don't want a hairy dog that will shed a lot. My niece has a German shepherd and they have tumbleweeds of hair. no thanks!
    I'll address the hair thing first, since that's easier and more straight forward. You've got two choices when it comes to dog hair. Pick up dog hair off the floor and pretty much every other surface in the house, or get a more grooming intensive dog that will likely require professional grooming (there is a third option of getting a hairless dog, but that's generally not the route most people want to take). Me, I don't have the time to get a dog professionally groomed, and it's kind of therapeutic to just sit there and run a brush through a dog when doing something mindless, like watching TV.

That said, you will likely want to stick with short coated breeds. Not that they shed less, but the volume is less, and they are generally easier to brush out than something with longer hair. Now, there is some correlation between coat color and shedding. Lack of melanin seems to be more highly correlated with more, so a white dog will likely shed more than a darker coated one, even from the same breed (Just as an anecdotal data point, Pan is a Mantle Great Dane, meaning she has a white collar and socks, but most of the rest of her is black. When I brush her white area, it's like we've got snow. The black stuff is far less, although it covers way more square footage).

In your shoes, what I'd do is sit down and make a list of 'must haves' (kid friendly, dog friendly, cat friendly, exercise, grooming requirements, etc.) and 'good to haves' (color, size, age). I almost always *strongly* recommend adult dogs for people with kids, or at least old enough to have half a brain and some attention span. Having a puppy is like having a baby. They are extremely high demands, there is a lot of foundation work that needs to be done, including socialization, and because their attention spans are lacking (Ooh, shiny!), they're a little more difficult to train. Plus, their personalities as they get older may or may not be what you wanted it to be. Older dogs tend to have much more set personalities in a 'what you see is what you get' kind of way. A 2-3 year old dog will have plenty of life left in it, will be energetic enough to be a good playmate without being hyper, will have an attention span and train easier, and is generally a better choice if you don't have the time or resources to dedicate to bringing up a puppy correctly. And it is patently false that adult dogs do not bond to their people. We've even had geriatric dogs (10+ years old) that become completely attached to their humans.

Then, go through a good breed book. Your local library should have some. It's a little dated, but Daniel Tortora's 'The Right Dog for You' is a good resource. Pick out breeds that seem right to you. Contact the rescues for the breed. Go meet some dogs and decide if they seem like the right fit. Check on petfinder.com also, for dogs that meet your criteria. My personal preference is to get dogs from a rescue that fosters their dogs, for the simple reason that you are likely to get a lot more information about the dog that way. The dogs live in houses, so you'll get more accurate picture of whether they are housetrained, how they interact with dogs/cats/kids, energy levels, etc. Make sure that you put temperament above all else.

When the time comes, and if you want more in terms of figuring out what dog is a good fit, just ping me. I can walk you through some pretty easy things you can do, in terms of temperament testing. I do some temperament testing for our rescue as well, and can tell you what I do, and why.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Speaking of which, is there a great way to get dogs to like each other?
    The short answer to that is 'NO'. It's like with people (or kids). You can't really make someone like someone else. But, you can expect that they behave in a civil manner towards each other. IOW, just because you dont' like someone does not mean that you go around trying to kill them.

So, we'll start with introductions. Always introduce on neutral ground. Especially with dogs that are picky about other dogs, it is important to meet off their turf, to minimize possibility of territorial aggression. What I normally recommend is that you leash up the two dogs (do one on ones first; group meetings are invariably a bad idea) and go for a walk. If the dogs have never met, walk on opposite sides of the street, paralleling each other, then have them cross each other (allow a brief sniff if the body language is good), then walk next to each other. Then, walk the dogs into the house, together. Pick up and put away anything that is a potential source for contention, like toys and chewies. Do not tolerate ANY (and I do mean any) inappropriate behavior, be it a stink eye or raised hackles. And if fisticuffs ensue, BOTH parties get into trouble, regardless of who started it. I usually keep a squirt bottle around during dog intros. It's often sufficient to just give a little squirt to get the dogs from backing off and escalating a situation.

If she hasn't done so, your sister *really* needs to take Koda for some obedience classes. It sounds like he might be running the show a little too much, and she isn't really in charge (either that or she is letting him get away with being an a$$).

Jen, that pic of Cosmo looking away from Koda is pretty cute lol! She looks like she has a serious attitude when it comes to the big dog!

DH wants a new dog since Mr. Hyde passed away. I have convinced him that we should keep Bruno an only dog for a couple years. Bruno never liked Mr. Hyde and attacked him once, which was horrible. He has never been dog aggressive towards any dog except Mr. Hyde and even let little dogs yap all over the place around him and not even do anything to them except pant like he was giggling at them. I figure he doesn't like to live with other dogs and I'm not sure he ever will and I'd rather just keep him as an only dog.

DH wants a presa canario, which I don't want. He always wants some big scary looking dog, which is why we got Bruno, he didn't think Mr. Hyde was scary enough looking even though he was big and black and Bruno is big and white. Bruno is pretty scary looking though.

Mr Hyde had a reputation for not liking people though and I do feel the reason why we have never had any trouble in our neighborhood is because people know that our house was where those 2 big dogs lived. Every time I go to the dollar store or something and am in line a lady or man will say - "oh, you live in that house with the 2 big dogs" LOL. I'll say yeah and usually since Elle is with me and she doesn't like Bruno because he knocks her down running around all the time, she will go on and on about how "mean" Bruno is, which scares people even more it seems. I truly feel though that he would lick to death anyone who broke in. Mr. Hyde would have don't something to a person. JWs stopped coming on our porch because of his constant barking at them, which I was happy about as I don't like people coming on my porch when I'm not home. Bruno was tough with Mr. Hyde and no one else, which didn't make sense since he had 20-25lbs on Mr. Hyde in body weight and Mr. Hyde was never trying to challenge his authority. I think Bruno was jealous that Mr. Hyde got to stay in the house more than he did. But if he wouldn't have been starting trouble with Mr. Hyde and trying to bite up everything on the floor and running around like a puppy and knocking Elle over all the time, he would have been in the house just as much.

Thanks for the reply Suja. What about the Humane Society? Too many unknowns with a small child at home?
    Shelley-mom to DS, 5

That is good advice about picking out a dog. There are some that I just LOVE but know would not be a good fit for us. I used to think it was a big deal to get a non-shedding dog. Now I'm just over that. Though it can be possible to get a dog that sheds AND needs regular grooming. That would be my Cosmo. But I never realized that about the color....it makes total sense though because we get a whole lot more white hairs off the girls than the other colors.

For us, requirements were size (we like them smaller like 20-30 or so pounds...give or take a few either direction), smart and easy enough to train, kid-friendly, and cute. I'm not so much a short hair dog person. I like a spaniel or spitz or sheltie kind of look.

Puppies are a major PITA but we are pretty good with them, at least as two adults with no kids! Neither of my girls really did any damage or got into trouble because we always always always watched them. I'm not really sure where a good six months of my life went last winter. LOL

Oh yeah we totally effed up the introductions. I should have looked into it but we never had trouble with the dogs like that before. At least we did it on a leash and neither of them got too awful....more barking (not the most friendly kind) than anything. And did take toys away before anything else.
    I definitely think he needs to go to a class, if anything just for the socializing. When my girls weren't there, he's great about commands and otherwise a really great dog (especially with the kids because there are like 6 in the immediate family). My sister is a huge pushover and softie with dogs.....luckily her girlfriend is way less so and has strict expectations on behavior.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36