Page 1097 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 975979971047108710951096109710981099110711471197 ... LastLast
Results 32,881 to 32,910 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

I haven't read the thread you're talking about, but I do pretty much everything. I'm often very pressed for time when doing anything, but maybe one of these days I'm just going to have to relax and let Remy help. I bet he'd love to make cupcakes.

**Lizzo**

Oh and uh, I'm doing ok. My grandpa just dropped off my mom's lock box and so far the ONE thing I've pulled out to read was a child abuse report for back in 2001 when I was 14 and my brother's dad called CPS on my mom for leaving us home alone while she went out drinking. Painful to read.

**Lizzo**

People can't use you without your permission. Ash, if there isn't anything your ILs will do to stand up to your SIL, then all you can do is just shake your head at the whole thing. I don't know why grown up people have such trouble making themselves a priority; I should send Mira to them for a lesson in how to say 'NO!'.

In a way, I'm glad Mira is going to Montessori, because there they are all about having the kids do everything themselves. I didn't realize this when I enrolled her, but one of the "requirements" for the kids to move up is that they should know how to dress/undress themselves completely, with no to minimal assistance. I wouldn't have dreamt that a 3 year old is capable of that, but they've got something like 6 or 8 classes of 3 - 6 year olds, so clearly, the average 3 year old is capable of it.

Bridget, I hope that the cat is fine and not pg. And that the lady didn't lie but maybe she was just misinformed about the spay status?

I didn't read the article Suja but the comments. I have to say that most little kids are way more capable of doing things than we give them credit for.
    My other bff is French and her son is about 27/28 months. I have videos of him climbing high on playground equipment, riding a scooter (with training wheels but still). He does a lot of stuff that you wouldn't see most 2 yr olds here doing.....because we would freak out here.
    It's going to be hard for me to just chill out and relax I think....after waiting sooooo long and being sure that we are one and done. Least DH is a little bit of balance to that.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Hi, Liz!! Count me among the women who are happy to see you in here. You do cross my mind as well whenever I come in here. I hope you're feeling ok too, mama.

After accidentally mis-keying in the emoticon, I now propose they create a new one - the :hig:. It's a combination "hi", and a hug. Can you picture two little yellow dudes greeting each other with a wave and a squeeze?

Katy, thanks for pointing me to the article posted by Suja, and thanks for posting it, Suja. Way to go, Jojo! I like having Bodhi help me in the kitchen a lot too, especially recently, since I've been having to make everything from scratch for this "cleanse" I've been doing. DH came home last week to find Bodhi helping me chop potatoes for leek-beet soup the other night, and was a little surprised that Bodhi can handle a butter knife to cut the thin slivers of potato I gave him. Of course, he got bored before I was done with my own task and started shaking dried dill weed all over his potato slices, but that rinsed off easily, and it was good fun. I also just shared this book on Suja's thread, but here it is again: http://www.amazon.com/Salad-People-M.../dp/1582461414 ... an illustrated cookbook geared at preschoolers.

That's not to say I'm good at letting Bodhi be independent. I am often guilty of over-coddling, right down to lifting him into his bed every night when he could use the strength-building that comes with pulling himself up. Molly made a good point about how independence triggers anxiety in parents. Just the other night, I had a bad dream that Bodhi was walking on top of the wall of a curved bridge high above a river. The nightmare wasn't that he was doing it, but the fact that I was standing there just letting him do it.

Ashley, ugh to your SIL/BIL. Maybe you can launch a stealth counter-attack, by inviting his parents over a whole lot more to spend time with you guys, only you won't put them to work. That way they're less available for your SIL to take advantage of them. Oooh, and plan a holiday at the same time as them to somewhere the sun isn't as strong, and hijack your in-laws for it. South of London is a nice idea (I lived in Brighton, so I'm biased). Have you ever been to the Lizard Peninsula in Cornwall? There's really not much to do there (I remember a dairy farm called Roskilly's (sp?) that'd be good for kids), but it's breathtaking. I wrote one year for The Berkeley Guides UK, and my chapters were the South, and the West, including Cornwall and Wales. So let me know if you want some stay-cation ideas. I'll bet I can dust off my old copy.

I think I am going to get that book, Myles! I am always trying to think of ways that dh and J can spend time together. He is the chef in the house and I think he might really enjoy teaching her how to cook. Thanks!

I am procrastinating doing homework. I actually skipped a swimming class in order to do homework and now I am flitting around the internet wasting time. I really like the swimming class. Signed up for the next session as well - it will be nice to go to the pool to do laps and not just KNOW I look like an idiot! I am up to three whole lengths without stopping. I am sure I am less than graceful to watch, but I feel good in knowing that at least I am getting some instruction so that I have a better idea of how it is all supposed to work together.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

I also am glad to see you around Liz! I hope you are okay and I've been thinking of you too.

I actually try to go out of my way to let my kids do a lot of things themselves. All except cooking, because I am super fast at cooking and they get in the way during the week. On weekends I do let them help. Ky could crack an egg with one hand when he was 2. He doesn't like to eat them, but he likes to crack them! Elle also can crack eggs and put pancake batter together and I even let her flip them (we have an electric griddle I put on the counter so not on the stovetop). She can pour milk and I let her cut things up with butter knives. I actually remember when I was 4 being taught to peel potatoes with....wait for it....a butcher knife!! An old lady across the street taught me, my brother and her 2 grandkids how to peel the skins with these huge knives. She just handed them out and told us not to cut ourselves lol! We didn't either. I actually gave Ky a pocketknife when he was 4 and he can whittle wood and peel apples and such really well and has never cut himself either but I wouldn't give a 4 year old a butcher knife. Unfortunately, to this day, I can only peel potatoes with a butcher knife and I don't know how to use an actual peeler tool, little knives feel foreign in my hands. It is so weird.

I also never thought anything about letting them dress themselves. That is actually a task I try to teach by 2 years old. Being able to fully dress and undress. Both my kids could do both before 3. From before 4 I want them to know how to wipe themselves. Elle can wipe herself really well now and has been able to do it for a long time. I also want to make sure they know how without the use of "wet wipes." We had an issue at Elle's daycare where she started giving these to the kids to use and then Elle didn't know how to wipe as well anymore with regular TP.

Erin

Mine are pros at cooking. Savana has created a few of her own recipes. Kai stands at the stove and helps me make dinner all the time and it encourages him to eat what we're having too. It's the cleaning up, helping Sawyer out when my hands are full, holding the door for the person behind you...they won't do it without being asked and sometimes not even then. It sucks.

:hig: I like it.
    Just popping in from lurkdom to say, Bridget, that it is actually possible for your cat to act like she is in heat even if she is spayed. Sometimes they can miss a small piece of ovarian tissue and that's enough. Unfortunately, they pretty much have to do a repeat of the spay operation to get the extra tissue.

My mom and her sisters were pretty lazy parents, so I grew up with me and all the kids around me being given all kinds of responsibility/independence with daily living tasks very early on. I learned to use the stove and knives very early and was staying home alone with younger sibilings by 11 (we lived in the country). I hope that I will be the kind of mom to teach Dae age-appropriate independence, and not be a nervous nelly. The problem is not over or under estimating "age-appropriate"!

I am currently considering quitting my job and going back to school to become a midwife. I have managed to work myself into a job with a lot of responsibility, making a lot of money, but I don't have a degree. Because I don't have a degree, I have no job security and no confidence that I'd be able to get a comparable job should I lose this one. I never planned to end up in this field, I got here by total happenstance, and while it's been very interesting, I'm ready to move on to something new. I can't go to school and work full time and have a young baby - I feel like I spend so little time with her as it is. DH makes a good salary, more than enough for us to live comfortably on, but in some ways it feels so unfair to leave all the earning up to him. And honestly, I like having my own money. It is a scary idea, but I don't want to be in the position I'm in for the rest of my life. I should have gone back to school a long time ago, but I seriously lack motivation. The motivation to stay home with Dae during the day has finally pushed me into action, but the stakes are so much higher now. Anyway, I'm just very conflicted. Thanks for reading. I needed to get this off my chest.

BTW - I haven't seen Kate (daylilies) around here for a while. Is she ok?
    D-Mama (37) D-Dada (43) and D-Baby (11/02/2011)

Kate said she is going to go on fb mainly from now on. She's okay, just not one here atm.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

I understand how hard it must be to give up a salary. It is difficult to not have your own money. I am going to school on a very part-time basis and sometimes asking dh to pay for tuition makes me feel like a beggar - very humiliating. But to not quit would keep you in your same spot. Can you spend the next year saving a lot so you could have some of your "own" money when you quit?

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Christina, I had to think about this because I'm not 100% sure how I'd feel in your situation. I'm still not, but it's not all that different than what I have going on with my two older teens. Now that they're 'adults', I really don't have any rules about curfew or anything like that. Maybe I'm too liberal, but they seem to stay home a lot (right now). Anyway, Bobbie and Jesi have both disappeared with friends for long periods (Jesi for a whole month!) and pretty much come and go as they please. That I don't have a problem with. I guess I expect that to be a normal part of adult life...at least it is when you live with someone else. No matter how much you love someone, as I'm sure you mother loves you, it's difficult to be with them 7 days a week.

That said, I wouldn't have tolerated the witching about the electric going out, not helping with her own room at least, and the complaints about what you may or may not have neglected in her room. As an adult, I would expect her to help with that sort of thing. If she's not there a lot, she at least needs to care for her own room and participate with you guys when you'd doing extermination.

It's tricky because she's mom, but she's living with you. I do not think it's unreasonable to expect her to take care of her stuff. It would be nice if she helped with general household chores as well, but if she's really not there a lot then personally I'd probably let that slide. IF she was taking care of her own room.
    Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    BUT-I think it's perfectly ok for you to draw a line and say, "This really isn't working out." You don't owe her any explanation. You're an adult and can make your own decisions about what is best for your family without having to explain yourself to anyone. If it's starting to cause problems between you and dh, then maybe it's time to start talking about when this might end. 2 weeks? 6 months? I think if you had an end date in sight it might help you all feel more relieved and have a little more patience.
    I agree. I don't have any expectations of when she should be home or even how often. Ultimately it doesn't matter how often she is home, but she comes in uses what she wants and leaves with no regard to anything else. If we are eating something she likes, she eats, but doesn't bother to clean up after herself. She even went as far last week as to turn off the dishwasher when she got there (I had started it about 15mins before she showed up) so that she could wash her clothes I mean really?? Come on. That on top of the fact that when she *does* show up, she expects us to have all eyes on her, and gets visibly irritated when we continue what we are doing (usually watching a movie, eating/cooking dinner, you know "boring" (her words) everyday stuff). Those seem to be the points that DH is getting most aggitated with. He hasn't said much about it, since he knows how I feel about my mom, and he knows that it's upsetting me; but he's already made it clear that he is ready for her to move out.

Than of course she keeps making plans with me and than has *me* waiting around on her, for her to never show. It just hurts and everytime I see her, it hurts some more.

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Christina, I would lay some ground rules down for your mother if she's going to live in your house. For example, you could tell her she's expected to pitch in when you're cleaning. More importantly, I think you need to point out to her how selfish she's become. I've seen it happen before, that people getting a divorce gain a disproportionate sense of entitlement that comes as a backlash for years of having to compromise. Suddenly, they feel like it's time for ME ME ME. If you think that's what's going on with her, then maybe you could start a discussion by acknowledging how happy you are for her new-found freedom after all she'd done for you and your father. Then add, though, that she's now putting herself a little too much before other people. If she continues down that path, she will damage her relationship with you, lose her friends, and if it doesn't work out with winner-winner, she could end up very lonely.
    We had the "I think your being selfish" talk about 3 weeks ago or so. She told me I was making things up and exaggerating everything. It was the same day that she told me that Nolan was a burden to her and he was keeping her "tied down" from doing what she wanted (she was watching him by HER choice on occasion on her days off). That conversation was heated and she said A LOT of very hurtful things to me. The gist was that Nolan is a burden, hanging out with me is a drag, helping me when I went back to school was going to be *too much* for her, and that I am making things up/over exaggerating

Up until that point I had been brushing off her actions as a sort of pre/post divorce rebellious phase. Now I don't care so much. It really hurt me she would say those things. Other than taking Nolan to a bday party she hasn't watched him at all since, even when she has asked I have come up with excuses.

Sorry if this is a bit jumbled I am kind of busy today and have been back and forth trying to catch up for a while. So if I don't make sense just ignore me

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Inca View Post
    Oh and uh, I'm doing ok. My grandpa just dropped off my mom's lock box and so far the ONE thing I've pulled out to read was a child abuse report for back in 2001 when I was 14 and my brother's dad called CPS on my mom for leaving us home alone while she went out drinking. Painful to read.
    I seriously want to :hig: (love that!) 14yr old Liz right now!

Chrissy I am SOOO glad Cramer is coming home (or is home) whichever the case may be!!

I am conflicted about giving up my job as well. It is a hard decision to maek It's something that stresses me out, so I try not to think too much about it.

Dana, I think you could give it a try, at least. If there's one thing I learned in the two years I spent at home with B, it's that you discover a lot about yourself in terms of what really interests you. Maybe you'll have the time now to discover there's a whole second career inside you that you never even thought of, and as long as your DH is covering expenses, you can have some space and time to grow your idea, provided he's on board. A lot of working women would love to be in your shoes.

Chirstina, I think it sounds like it's time to let your mom go. I hate to say it, but she has been making your life hard on you, and you've tried talking to her already. But are you going to screwed if she leaves and refuses to help with Nolan once you're back in school? That's not to say that it's reason to let her continue on with her ways, but you might want to line up some alternate help if you think she'll take hers away out of spite.

Quote Originally Posted by girlwonder View Post
    I understand how hard it must be to give up a salary. It is difficult to not have your own money. I am going to school on a very part-time basis and sometimes asking dh to pay for tuition makes me feel like a beggar - very humiliating. But to not quit would keep you in your same spot. Can you spend the next year saving a lot so you could have some of your "own" money when you quit?
    Katy - Actually I do have a very nice savings right now, about two years' salary (not counting my retirement fund), which is one of the things that makes leaving my job even a possibility. You are so right, and that is exactly what I keep telling DH - if I keep doing the same thing, I'm never going to feel comfortable or secure career-wise. This is something that really is necessary to secure my future earning potential. I'm likely to be working for another 30 years. I think it's worth a short-term amount of discomfort to get into a career I'd be happy in for those 30 years.

Chirstina, I think it sounds like it's time to let your mom go. I hate to say it, but she has been making your life hard on you, and you've tried talking to her already. But are you going to screwed if she leaves and refuses to help with Nolan once you're back in school? That's not to say that it's reason to let her continue on with her ways, but you might want to line up some alternate help if you think she'll take hers away out of spite.
    It's not like I even asked her to do *that* much when classes are in session. The biggest thing I asked her to do was for her to pick Nolan up on her way home, after she got off work, on the weeks that I got off early. It gave me an extra 1-2hrs of study time. Other than that, we'll just have one less person to distribute household chores too. Which isn't much, but at the same time it is when you have that much on your plate at once. If that makes any sense....

I am not depending on her help at all at this point anyway, regardless of where she is living. I keep hoping she just moves herself out. I think asking her to move out will only make her feel more validated in the choices she is making and I do not want to do that. She's been complaining that winner-winner doesn't have a washer/dryer so I am sure once that is hooked up she'll either move out completely or we'll see her once a week tops

Quote Originally Posted by dana_renay View Post
    Katy - Actually I do have a very nice savings right now, about two years' salary (not counting my retirement fund), which is one of the things that makes leaving my job even a possibility. You are so right, and that is exactly what I keep telling DH - if I keep doing the same thing, I'm never going to feel comfortable or secure career-wise. This is something that really is necessary to secure my future earning potential. I'm likely to be working for another 30 years. I think it's worth a short-term amount of discomfort to get into a career I'd be happy in for those 30 years.
    Doooo it!!!

Yes, I know that was helpful

I completely agree. Good for you for having the savings to make it a reality!
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Well, you all are making me feel a lot better. I was feeling pretty crazy for even thinking about such a thing, considering what I make now...but I know in my heart that could go *poof* and be gone tomorrow.

Funny story, two years ago a medical office building went up for sale near us. Dh said somebody should turn that into assisted living or something. I said no, that would make the perfect location for a birth center. We argued about it (amiably) for a while, but it was sort of moot since we weren't in a position to do either of those things. Yesterday he says to me, "You know who bought SuchandSuch Medical Center? [HomelessAssistanceOrganization]. For only $37k. That's too bad - it would have been a great location for a birth center!" I said, "Are you f'ing kidding me?!" He didn't even remember our previous conversation.

Christina - I agree that you should ask your mother to move out. It doesn't validate her choices...those are all her own. It's disrupting your family and your marriage to have her around and stressing you out. I know she's your mom, but it's not fair to put her needs/desires above those of your immediate family. It really seems like you'd be a lot happier if you told your whole extended family to kiss off!
    Last edited by dana_renay; 06-27-2012 at 02:09 PM. Reason: typos

Ashley, ugh to your SIL/BIL. Maybe you can launch a stealth counter-attack, by inviting his parents over a whole lot more to spend time with you guys, only you won't put them to work. That way they're less available for your SIL to take advantage of them. Oooh, and plan a holiday at the same time as them to somewhere the sun isn't as strong, and hijack your in-laws for it. South of London is a nice idea (I lived in Brighton, so I'm biased). Have you ever been to the Lizard Peninsula in Cornwall? There's really not much to do there (I remember a dairy farm called Roskilly's (sp?) that'd be good for kids), but it's breathtaking. I wrote one year for The Berkeley Guides UK, and my chapters were the South, and the West, including Cornwall and Wales. So let me know if you want some stay-cation ideas. I'll bet I can dust off my old copy.
    Yes, please, Myles! I would so appreciate some stay-cation ideas; that's all we're going to be able to afford for awhile!

My thermostat reads 90 right now. I just put the kids to sleep in the basement (daycare). It feels at least 10 degrees cooler down there. The A/C is broke Ah, well. I hate to turn it on anyway. I look forward to summer way too much. But the next few days are going to excruciating. My dad called me today because he knows our a/c is broke so he wanted to remind me he was going out of town and his house would be empty if we want to come stay there. He's so cute, he was like, "I really think it's going to be too hard on the kids with that heat. You should use my house."
    I just might.

That's very sweet & thoughtful of him Bridget. How was the slip-n-slide? I saw the pics...looked like the kids were having a blast! I wanted to join them Has your dad ever told you himself that he was seeing someone?

I had the best sleep last night that I've had in years. I went in my room to watch So You Think You Can Dance and fell asleep just before the end. I woke up briefly at 2 'cause I was cold, but I covered & fell right back to sleep. This is highly unusual for me. I'm never sleeping before midnight unless I'm sick or I've stayed up the previous night without any sleep at all. I think this is the first time in my life that I woke up at 6:00 and actually felt refreshed and ready to get up.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Ah, a good night's sleep is priceless!! I didn't sleep well at all. I kept thinking I could hear someone walking around upstairs.
    Nah, dad hasn't said anything to me yet and I'm not sure what's going on with that.
    We did have fun on the makeshift slip and slide. I was going down it too! We're going to do it again with the daycare kids today!

That sounds like a fun day. I think it's supposed to be in the 90's here today too. I doubt I could get AA&D to go along with letting us set up a slip-n-slid down the car ramp in the garage though.

Maybe your dad doesn't think it's serious enough to warrant telling you about it. I've thought a little about when/if I date and I certainly don't have any plans on discussing it with my kids...until it looks like it might be serious.

Aw, hell. I posted a "F Walmart" link on my fb wall and didn't know my aunt worked there. She posted something on her wall about what I said instead of commenting on my link so I know she's pissed. I really try to stay out of debates on fb. Whoopsie daisy. lol

Christina - I agree that you should ask your mother to move out. It doesn't validate her choices...those are all her own. It's disrupting your family and your marriage to have her around and stressing you out. I know she's your mom, but it's not fair to put her needs/desires above those of your immediate family. It really seems like you'd be a lot happier if you told your whole extended family to kiss off!
    For sure! I am not normally so apt to hold onto people that stress me out. I am, by nature, fairly selfish in that regard. It's just my mom and J are pretty much the last people that I really truely care about (outside of DH and Nolan of course), other than my one other Aunt that I hardly get to see since she goes on the road with her DH (truck drivers).

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Aw, hell. I posted a "F Walmart" link on my fb wall and didn't know my aunt worked there. She posted something on her wall about what I said instead of commenting on my link so I know she's pissed. I really try to stay out of debates on fb. Whoopsie daisy. lol
    I don't see why she is upset?? She just works there, she doesn't control what WM does

I know, Christine. The article says something about selling your soul when you shop at Walmart (dramatic, I know but it went with the nature of the article) and she posts that she usually doesn't ask people for their souls when they come, just tells them to have a nice day. Obviously it's not about the employees but about the company itself. I'm surprised my family, made up of mostly farmers, is fighting me on this one. You would think they'd applaud my efforts to buy local. Anyway, I guess I need to stick with posting cute stories about my kids.

I saw that from my phone this morning....I hope it's still there 'cause I want to read it.

I know, Christine. The article says something about selling your soul when you shop at Walmart (dramatic, I know but it went with the nature of the article) and she posts that she usually doesn't ask people for their souls when they come, just tells them to have a nice day. Obviously it's not about the employees but about the company itself. I'm surprised my family, made up of mostly farmers, is fighting me on this one. You would think they'd applaud my efforts to buy local. Anyway, I guess I need to stick with posting cute stories about my kids.
    I've found the farmers in my area seem to like Walmart better than anybody because it boils down to what's cheapest for them. They don't think about the politics of it, the children working in factories, or the fact that Walmart puts small businesses out of business. They're oblivious.

That is funny. Good thing I don't have soul than, I'll shop at WM as I please

ETA: I prefer to view WM on a smaller scale. WM provides a lot of jobs to people locally and when I shop there (if I have to shop there) I consider myself to be supporting those employed by WM, not WM itself. If that makes sense.
    Last edited by Smplyme89; 06-28-2012 at 07:31 AM.