Page 1076 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 765769761026106610741075107610771078108611261176 ... LastLast
Results 32,251 to 32,280 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

We have just returned home from a trip to SC. On the trip home we were concerned about the tropical storm, so we left at midnight and drove all night. It took us 15 hours to get home, it is normally a 10-12 hour trip. We did hit a little rain but nothing too bad. I hate driving at night. In our pickup truck, G is forward facing and his head flops forward, and then he wakes up crying. I feel so badly for him. I have tried so many things to help him, but he usually ends up with his face in the pillow and I am afraid he will suffocate himself. It's so much easier in our car where he is still rear facing. But we had to take a utility trailer with a load of stuff. Now our house looks like a disaster zone, boxes to unpack. I had wanted to bring some stuff back home to sort through. My plan this summer is to sort/organize and scan old family photos. I want to do a photo book of my mom. My mil is coming in 3 weeks for a 2 month visit. I figure it's a good excuse to go to my sister's house to work on my photo project. In the evenings I plan on drinking a lot to help deal with my "lovely" mil. Or if someone wants to send me some Zanax.

Chrissy, good luck on the OT. The extra money will be good thing. I so understand your annoyance with the insurance and that in/out of network. Ugh it can be so frustrating.

Mandy, good luck with your IUI. and with your decision to move.

Bridget, congrats to your dbf.

L, I appreciate the fyi articles, I have learned so much from apa. I don't understand why people would bristle at that.

Myles, I would not have liked the teachers laughing about the kids playing scissors. I never cut my hair or even my dolls/barbies hair. My niece who had beautiful long eye lashes, cut her eye lashes when she was about 9 years old. It took years for them to grow back.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

When I was 5 and my sister was 3, I cut her some very short bangs. Like artsy super short ones. My dad had actually given me the scissors because he thought I said I wanted to cut my barbie's hair, but whati actually said was that I wanted to play barbers. Lol.

If you cut the power to your house, you can't get electrocuted. You know if you disappear on us, we're gonna worry a bit. Just sayin.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Quote Originally Posted by raspberry View Post
    We have just returned home from a trip to SC. On the trip home we were concerned about the tropical storm, so we left at midnight and drove all night. It took us 15 hours to get home, it is normally a 10-12 hour trip. We did hit a little rain but nothing too bad. I hate driving at night. In our pickup truck, G is forward facing and his head flops forward, and then he wakes up crying. I feel so badly for him. I have tried so many things to help him, but he usually ends up with his face in the pillow and I am afraid he will suffocate himself. It's so much easier in our car where he is still rear facing. But we had to take a utility trailer with a load of stuff. Now our house looks like a disaster zone, boxes to unpack. I had wanted to bring some stuff back home to sort through. My plan this summer is to sort/organize and scan old family photos. I want to do a photo book of my mom. My mil is coming in 3 weeks for a 2 month visit. I figure it's a good excuse to go to my sister's house to work on my photo project. In the evenings I plan on drinking a lot to help deal with my "lovely" mil. Or if someone wants to send me some Zanax.

awww

Glad you missed being in a tropical storm. Yikes on the 15 hours straight though. btdt and hope to never repeat!

Wow. I am gone for one evening and you ladies are chatting it up!!

I looked for my book last night and I couldnít find it. Stupid question.

Jennifer glad Cosmoís eye is looking better!!

Erin, go you!! Iíve walked a couple 5kís but havenít progressed beyond that. I am really impressed!! My stupid knees will probably keep me from ever being able to run one

Raises are a joke here. When I got hired, shortly after my 90days I actually ended up with a 1% pay cut I spent from í08 until the end of í10 making LESS than what I did when I got hired! In í11 they gave us a couple 1% across the board raises and than this year was the first year that we got an actual merit raise. I canít remember the percentage 3.5 or something like that. Ridiculous. Our insurance has also gone to crap. When I started we had this fantastic HMO plan that I LOVED. Now we have a PPO plan with higher premiums, higher co-pays, and it doesnít pay for crap

Bridget that probably wouldíve irritated me as well, but it doesnít sound like the mama had any ill will directed towards you. Especially with as long as sheís been with you. Congrats on your mans new job That is always exciting!!

Myles I wouldíve been the same as you. WHY were scissors left unattended for him to even get??

Chrissy I am sorry about Jessi Sheís searching for herself and it seems she feels that she canít do that living with either of you. I think that knowing that she has a home to come too if she wishes is all you can do at this point. Have I mentioned how much I hate the teenager years I donít know how I am going to handle it when we get there. Actually yes I do, Iíll spend the majority of my days like this

I know nothing about breakersÖ.. So, yeah

I have a work gripe, but Iíll save it for later since this has gotten ridiculously long as is!!

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    I have a work gripe, but I’ll save it for later since this has gotten ridiculously long as is!!
    Um, puh-leaze! Have you not seen some of the story-books I can post? Do share!

Ok here it goes, I don't know how much sense this will make. It's kind of the shortened version of the BS we've been putting up with.

So our part time guy who was hired last November, was without notice, promoted to a full time position on our member services side. Our manager literally GAVE him this position. Despite the fact that he hasn’t been here for a year (which is required for a position change) and he didn’t allow anyone else to apply for the position

One of our other full time tellers has wanted to move over to that side for quite some time and has made this well known and she’s been employed here for YEARS and would’ve been much more qualified, but the part time guy is a “pet” of our managers (so to speak).

The blatant favoritism (actually this was a repeat and a similar situation happened with the last person that he hired) has caused a bit of a ruckus here. The teller that was passed over was really upset and decided to start applying for other positions. Well, she got one. She is making a lateral move that requires an additional 20+ minutes drive time to just get away from here We are currently 1 teller down and it appears the other branch is in pretty dire need of someone, so we will than be 2 tellers down (technically we are 3 since they permanently cut a teller position a couple years ago).

It’s just really frustrating that this keeps happening. Ever since I have been here it has been one thing after another. A couple years ago we had a girl who strung out an FMLA claim over the course of a YEAR. She was a very racist minded young lady and brought it up quite often, which is why we believed that allowed it the way they did. She would come in randomly when she felt like. Leave on lunch and not come back, claiming FMLA. They never required her to submit verification of anything. Anywho, that’s a tangent.

I am just so sick of this happening repeatedly. My position is fairly repetitive and a well trained monkey could do it, but it’s becoming more and more stressful. I made a conscious choice to turn down better opportunities within the organization until I finished school for the sole purpose of maintaining the least amount of stress possible. THAT isn’t working out for me

All in all, I am tired. Flat out tired. My manager is a nice PERSON, but he is a crappy MANAGER. They keep expecting more from us and give nothing in return.

Oh, and I was just informed that our supervisor is taking a vacation in a couple weeks. GREAT timing.

Big, hugs Christine. It sucks when management doesn't do their job. I'm sorry your job is stressing you out.

Does anyone have Liz on facebook? It seems her mom died suddenly. I'm so sad for her. Hope she comes in here for hugs.

Christina, that is really frustrating. I know what you mean about someone being a nice person but a bad manager. It sucks to have to deal with that.

Liz, if you are reading this, so sorry about your mom! to you.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Yeah Liz's mom passed yesterday If your seeing this Liz we are heart broken and here if you need us

I *think* DH has decided to get his CDL. It's something we have talked about quite a bit over the past year (I would prefer that he get some sort of technical certificate, but the GED classes just didn't work out for him). He's supposed to call and get more information. They have a weekend class, but I think it's going to be pricey. I really, really want him to have *something* anything in his corner. Even a local driving job would be much more secure than the work he is doing now. The variances in his checks from week to week is really frustrating.....

Liz, big hugs to you
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

Liz, I'm so sorry.

Christina, take it from me, even a boring mindless job can be more stressful than one that involves more brain power. At least for me, learning may be stressful but in most environments I don't mind that kind of stress. But I do mind working with asses. A lot. That kind of stress is worse and is harder to deal with imo. I encourage you to seek out something different if you can. Believe me, I know it's difficult to consider changing jobs while having small children and being a college student, but I did it and it's not as bad as you fear. Trust me. Getting away from that bad manager will make it worth it. TONS less stress.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post

Christina, take it from me, even a boring mindless job can be more stressful than one that involves more brain power. At least for me, learning may be stressful but in most environments I don't mind that kind of stress. But I do mind working with asses. A lot. That kind of stress is worse and is harder to deal with imo. I encourage you to seek out something different if you can. Believe me, I know it's difficult to consider changing jobs while having small children and being a college student, but I did it and it's not as bad as you fear. Trust me. Getting away from that bad manager will make it worth it. TONS less stress.
    Hey, whose side are you on!?! You sound like my hubby

I know you (and him) are right. I can't argue that. BUT I love the ladies I work with. They are an awesome group and I enjoy working with them. Plus, I donít' really have confidence that I'll transition somewhere that the thought process isn't the same. I've seen it (the favoritism) a lot since I've been here. What happened to valuing people based upon their work ethics??

I can definitely relate to loving my coworkers...were you here when I cried about leaving my last job? and the one before that, I would have stayed there if they could have matched the $ & hours that I was offered at Cornell (no chance of that happening!). Actually, looking back I honestly cried harder about leaving my last job in Arts & Sciences than I have about moving out away from my husband. I haven't cried yet about that. Or perhaps the tears have long since been shed over my marriage and I was just ready.

Every office will have issues, but some are worse than others. I can't recall if I ever worked somewhere where there was blatant favoritism to the extreme you described. Look at it this way-you can apply and go on interviews and see what's out there. You don't have to make any decisions until you're actually given a job offer, and even then you can ask for 2-3 days to think about it.

Liz.

2/09 6/09 4/14

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I can definitely relate to loving my coworkers...were you here when I cried about leaving my last job? and the one before that, I would have stayed there if they could have matched the $ & hours that I was offered at Cornell (no chance of that happening!). Actually, looking back I honestly cried harder about leaving my last job in Arts & Sciences than I have about moving out away from my husband. I haven't cried yet about that. Or perhaps the tears have long since been shed over my marriage and I was just ready.

Every office will have issues, but some are worse than others. I can't recall if I ever worked somewhere where there was blatant favoritism to the extreme you described. Look at it this way-you can apply and go on interviews and see what's out there. You don't have to make any decisions until you're actually given a job offer, and even then you can ask for 2-3 days to think about it.
    I remember that. That is pretty much exactly what the thought of leaving these ladies feels like to me. I've been browsing positions for the past couple of months, but haven't had anything 'jump' out at me as of yet. I don't make much, but for a local position I do pretty well compared to others. I can't justify leaving for less than what I make now, nor do I want the travel that comes with going somewhere else to make more money.

Than theres giving up my sick/vacation time that I have built up (that I'm saving for my next maternity leave) and the educational reimbursement (there is almost always a waiting period IF the organization even offers it). It's just so complicated.

I will not, under any circumstances be returning after the next baby. At least not here. If I go back to work, it will be on a part time, 2-3 days a week basis. Right now I am just toughing it out. I am jsut trying to limit how vocal I am about the injustices that continue to go on here. I've been here long enough firing me isn't *that* easy even if I tick a few people off

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Liz, I'm so, so sorry for your loss.

I feel like I am losing my mind. Ever since I did that treatment for these dam mites, they are worse. Apparently that is normal since they actually die then your body reacts to that in an allergic like fashion. My dr told me only to use the cream once but on several other sites it says that you should use it again (all different time frames) because the cream does not kill the eggs and so any eggs left with hatch and reinfect you.
    Every time I feel any sort of itchiness anywhere I am sure it's them and it's really honestly driving me insane.
    I don't know what to do. Use it again tonight? Wait a week? Wait 2 weeks? There is so much conflicting info and I do not believe that calling my dr to ask will be useful.

Lydia? Jennifer?? Do you have any idea?
    Last edited by Bridget; 05-31-2012 at 01:58 PM.

Oh Bridget, it sounds awful

Bridget I am so sorry Hopefully Jennifer or L will have some answers for you

Liz, I'm sorry for your loss. (hugs)

Liz, I'm so sorry.

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Bridget, I would hold off. The allergy-type symptoms (itching) continue for some days, and even several weeks, after all mites are killed. There are a couple of different ways your body reacts to the mites, and the different pathways can cause immediate and delayed reactions. It does not mean that there are still active mites, just that your body is still reacting to the original problem.

If you used Permethrin, even if you do use a second dose (which is sometimes used for moderate to severe cases), it would not be for another 7-14 days.

You can take antihistamines to help with the itchiness, and just knowing it's your own body causing the itchiness, should help. I'm sorry. I know this really sucks.

ETA: I just read that except in the case of crusted scabies, cleaning rooms and objects is of little importance, so you don't have to scrub everything so much. It's usually just skin-to-skin, but it's important to treat everyone even if asymptomatic.
    Last edited by 3andMe; 05-31-2012 at 02:40 PM.

So sorry to hear about your mom Liz. So so sorry.

And Bridget those mites would drive me insane. Don't want to compare your situation to animals but I remember when one of our dogs had mange and I was told it was caused by mites. I had never seen it before. I was about 24 when that happened to our dog, her name was Georgia, the one the police took and killed who I just loved and who Ky still talks about. She had mange REALLY bad and I had to put some tough chemicals on her to get rid of it. When she finally got better is when that incident happened with the police and they took her. I remember the day before telling her how pretty she was again. I can't imagine dealing with something like that on my own skin, I thought she was going to scratch her skin off during that time.

And hugs to you Christina about your job. I am kind of HR evil as I would so file a complaint against the company and claim gender discrimination if I were your co-worker who got passed up for the position by the guy who was not qualified. Your job better stop doing that stuff. I have to take HR training as a part of my job since I am considered a "manager" so need to know what I can and cannot do in regards to promotions and terminations. Hiring a guy with not enough qualifications over a woman is a classic gender discrimination suit and could cost your company a lot of money if people get mad and sue. If it happens to you, I would bring it up and maybe contact the EEOC.

But I don't envy you at the CU. I worked in banking for about 5-6 years and it got to the point that I would literally cry real tears everyday before I went into the building. They ended up firing me over some BS. I think because I was one of the employees who was there for a long time - we had high turnover and they would have had to pay me a lot of severance when they eventually closed shop and moved to TN where they paid people $8 an hour to do our jobs when we were getting paid $14 an hour and up. I was a manager in our Escalations department at the time, so just basically listened to people b!tch all day long. I got unemployment and was happy to be rid of them. That was when I went back to school and got my BA. Banking is very stressful IMO and I would never work in that field again unless it was the only job I could get.

Erin

Ugh Erin-how horrible!! wtf is wrong with people?

This is totally off topic, but i'm off to bed now but have just watched an episode of Father Ted. For those of y'all who have netflix, this is definitely one to watch if it's on there. It's the best British comedy ever. I love it so much. It's about 3 Irish priests and their housekeeper and the trouble they get in to. I'm sure some of y'all would like it.

Lydia, where did you see that about the crusted scabies? I would love to read that. All I have read is horror story after horror story after horror story. Erin, I totally saw pictures of dogs with mange and it looks just awful.

http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/scabies/prevent.html

The bedding and clothes and stuff should be cleaned, too, but all the bleaching is probably unnecessary.

And this is from the medical section of the CDC website:

Environmental Disinfection

Establish appropriate procedures for environmental disinfection.

• Machine wash and dry bedding and clothing of scabies patients using the hot water and hot dryer cycles.
    • Environmental disinfestation is neither necessary nor warranted. Routine cleaning and vacuuming of the room should be done if and when a patient with non-crusted scabies leaves the facility or moves to a new room.
    Last edited by 3andMe; 05-31-2012 at 05:01 PM.

Liz, I'm so sorry for your loss. Take care of yourself.