Page 1073 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 73 573 973 1023 106310711072107310741075 1083 1123 1173 ... LastLast
Results 32,161 to 32,190 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I don't hate bleach. I don't really feel one way or another about it. I just have always chosen to use gentler methods of cleaning. Bleach is hard on my skin and it makes me cough.
    Same here.

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Bridget, I'm glad you are making progress with the buggies. That would totally freak me out, too. But I would totally be using bleach to get rid of them.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I think it's worth writing them. I did find the NYSTCE Preparation Guides for taking the teacher certification examinations...not sure if they apply? Perhaps they have guides specific to your field available and I'm just overlooking them. http://www.nystce.nesinc.com/NY_viewSG_opener.asp

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I will say that while NYS is very, VERY expensive, our teachers (and other school staff) are paid way above what other people are paid. They'll claim they're underpaid, but when the median household income is just 45,000/year and their teacher salaries are 55,000/year and up, it's hard to feel sorry for them. This does for all school employees with the exception of the janitors. They're still at 9.00/hour or less. My stepbrother has worked at our local school as a custodian for 20 years and he's not even at 13.00/hour. Most the admins/teachers make over 60,000/year in his district. It's rather disgusting if you ask me, but that's a whole other topic.

I don't know what they'd pay for your position, but I would be willing to bet it's a lot more than the household median income.

I found the study guides for the tests I would have to take. Here is a sample preparation question:

Use the reproduction below of a woodcut by Suzuki Harunobu to answer the question that follows.
    The diagonal arrangement of the figures, faces, and gestures in this woodcut serves to:
    A. emphasize the difference in status between the woman and the child.
    B. draw the viewer's attention to the bird.
    C. create a feeling of suspense and foreboding.
    D. define the perspective from which the artist viewed the scene.

Seriously??? I never took art history. I took a lot of music courses, but no art. What the F does that have to do with my knowledge either of teaching or of communication disorders, and how is that relevant to my ability to do my job?

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I don't know what they'd pay for your position, but I would be willing to bet it's a lot more than the household median income.
    The average household income here is $35K, but the stats you linked above stated housing is 59% more expensive? Even with a proportional increase in salary, it might not be worth the difference in cost of living. That said, I've seen ads ranging anywhere from $45K to $100K in the area. I imagine with a salary on the higher end of that it would make the move worth it. But the other factor is, I work for one of the largest districts in the country and when I started here they had around 100 SLPs, most of them full time. The local school district has only one elementary school, one middle school, and one high school. So they likely only have 1-2 for the whole district, and at the moment they aren't hiring. I'm sure I would find an opening somewhere, but it might require that I travel a significant distance to work (or that we live near my work, and K travels). Which would add a significant commute which neither of us are dealing with now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    I found the study guides for the tests I would have to take. Here is a sample preparation question:

Use the reproduction below of a woodcut by Suzuki Harunobu to answer the question that follows.
    The diagonal arrangement of the figures, faces, and gestures in this woodcut serves to:
    A. emphasize the difference in status between the woman and the child.
    B. draw the viewer's attention to the bird.
    C. create a feeling of suspense and foreboding.
    D. define the perspective from which the artist viewed the scene.

Seriously??? I never took art history. I took a lot of music courses, but no art. What the F does that have to do with my knowledge either of teaching or of communication disorders, and how is that relevant to my ability to do my job?
    Really. Is art history a core requirement for their degree here in NY? Weird.

The average household income here is $35K, but the stats you linked above stated housing is 59% more expensive? Even with a proportional increase in salary, it might not be worth the difference in cost of living. That said, I've seen ads ranging anywhere from $45K to $100K in the area. I imagine with a salary on the higher end of that it would make the move worth it. But the other factor is, I work for one of the largest districts in the country and when I started here they had around 100 SLPs, most of them full time. The local school district has only one elementary school, one middle school, and one high school. So they likely only have 1-2 for the whole district, and at the moment they aren't hiring. I'm sure I would find an opening somewhere, but it might require that I travel a significant distance to work (or that we live near my work, and K travels). Which would add a significant commute which neither of us are dealing with now.
    Our district is small..it's the largest in Tioga County but small when compared with the state, and I'm sure your position would be at the higher end of that salary range. I don't know for sure how downstate works things, but I know most jobs that offer positions upstate as well as downstate (including state/county jobs) offer more for the downstate ones. We get their garbage as a trade off. Seriously. They truck downstate garbage to upstate and want to use eminent domain to destroy homes/properties/woodlands in an attempt to pipe more power downstate.

Can you hear in my tone I'm not a fan of downstate? I'd like to leave them to their own devices! They can keep their higher salaries, their garbage, and produce their own power. Thanks!

That said, I'm not sure where the upstate/downstate line is. Perhaps West Point area is considered 'upstate' even though it's south? All I know is the closer the community is to "The City", the higher the cost of living. But the higher the salary too.
    Last edited by missychrissy; 05-30-2012 at 10:58 AM.

Where I grew up in Westchester, we were most definitely not "upstate," but I agree I'm not sure where the "line" is. I don't hate it as much as you do - I miss the grass and trees and all that - but I could easily do without the people. So I suppose I share your feelings in part. This area isn't actually all that far from my hometown. Less than 20 miles, actually, but on the other side of the river and in a different county. I'd be really close to family, too - my sister is in Mt Vernon and my brother is in Beacon, and I'd be somewhere between the two. Also my close childhood friend would also be nearby - and you would be close enough for a visit here and there, too! Probably Kate, too.

Here is another ridiculous sample test question:
    Which of the following was an important goal of nineteenth-century Latin American liberals?
    A. establishing governments based on the separation of church and state
    B. reducingtheinfluenceofcompetitive individualism in social and economic life
    C. creatingstrongcentralizedgovernments
    D. making plantation agriculture the foundation of economic development

Again - I never took a single course in Latin American history. There is no way I could answer that question, and I am an educated person and I also have a probably better than average knowledge of history in certain areas. How is that relevant to teaching ability, child development, or communication disorders? I took a general knowledge exam here, but it had to do with basic skills (reading, writing, math) and knowledge of teaching processes in general. Then I took a second, content-area exam in my specialty field. If you want to be an art teacher, or a history teacher, isn't that what the content area exam is for? Why is that stuff on the general exam?
    Last edited by Gwenn; 05-30-2012 at 11:11 AM.

Bleach is definitely hard on your hands. I hope you have good gloves, and that all this buginess is over for you soon, Bridget.
    D-Mama (37) D-Dada (43) and D-Baby (11/02/2011)

Mandy, do you think they have higher requirements in NY? I read some complained that their program at Ithaca College was 'rigorous' but I really don't know what that means. I know plenty of kids at the community college that complain about how tough their workload is, so it could all be relative.

Wait - here we go! (Sorry, everyone, for my licensing woes!)

I was looking at the Interstate Reciprocity for the teaching certificate. There is another pathway that says NYS Professional License (which I can get based on reciprocity with my AZ professional license without any added requirements, just by shelling out $300). If I get the NYS license, I need the following for the Initial Teacher Certificate:

Pathway: NYS Professional License
    Requirements:

License & Registration - NYS Speech Language Pathology License (easy to get)
    Workshop - Child Abuse Identification
    Workshop - School Violence Intervention and Prevention
    Workshop - Autism
    Fingerprint Clearance (already have in AZ, so if that doesn't count, easy to get)

Basically, I would just need the workshops.

The permanant license would require the following:
    License & Registration - NYS Speech Language Pathology License
    New York State Teacher Certification Exam - Liberal Arts & Science Test (LAST)
    Paid, full-time Classroom Teaching experience - Speech and Language Disabilities - 3 Yrs
    Continuing Competency Activities
    Workshop - Child Abuse Identification
    Workshop - School Violence Intervention and Prevention
    Workshop - Autism
    Fingerprint Clearance
    Citizenship Status - INS Permanent Residence or U.S. Citizenship

Basically, I could get the initial with just a handful of workshops and would need to take one test for my permanent (only one, but it's the one I was complaining about before). That's easier than taking 3 tests and 3 workshops, at least. But how the heck would I study for that test? There could be ANYTHING on it!

Just do it. There could be sensible questions on it too...or just one or two bizarre, unrelated ones that won't amount to enough to fail you.

Mandy, do you think they have higher requirements in NY? I read some complained that their program at Ithaca College was 'rigorous' but I really don't know what that means. I know plenty of kids at the community college that complain about how tough their workload is, so it could all be relative.
    All I know is that the program I graduated from was ranked #6 in the country for my specific field (it's now #4). The highest ranked program anywhere in NY is ranked #25. So no, I don't feel there is any program in NY that could have given me a better education that the program I graduated from. I am snooty about my degree - and it was rigorous. I know I have heard people say graduate school is relatively easy, but that certainly wasn't the case for my degree program. It was the most difficult (and satisfying) thing I've ever done.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 05-30-2012 at 11:33 AM.

Just do it. There could be sensible questions on it too...or just one or two bizarre, unrelated ones that won't amount to enough to fail you.
    I guess it's all about the proportion of sensible questions to out-of-the-left-field questions. Too many of those, and I'm out.

So DH is annoying me by knowing the answer to both the Latin American history question and the Japanese woodcut question. F me. He doesn't even have an associate's.

All I know is that the program I graduated from was ranked #6 in the country for my specific field (it's now #4). The highest ranked program anywhere in NY is ranked #25. So no, I don't feel there is any program in NY that could have given me a better education that the program I graduated from. I am snooty about my degree - and it was rigorous. I know I have heard people say graduate school is relatively easy, but that certainly wasn't the case for my degree program. It was the most difficult (and satisfying) thing I've ever done.
    NY as a whole sucks. I'm sorry. They probably have easy degree programs with nonsense tests. Then they wonder why students score so poorly compared with others? But I guess no one in NY can say they teach to the test if they have unrelated stuff in there.

I guess it's all about the proportion of sensible questions to out-of-the-left-field questions. Too many of those, and I'm out.
    I doubt that would be the case.

So DH is annoying me by knowing the answer to both the Latin American history question and the Japanese woodcut question. F me. He doesn't even have an associate's.
    He just sucks! That ain't right! lol

I have nothing to contribute to the conversation other than I am SO lost and confused

WHat type of work does your hubby do Mandy?

But I guess no one in NY can say they teach to the test if they have unrelated stuff in there.
    LOL! No, they most definitely aren't teaching to the test!

Then again - maybe they are, and they're learning more about Japanese woodcuts than either teaching strategies or communication disorders. Which makes me wonder what the point is?

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    I have nothing to contribute to the conversation other than I am SO lost and confused

WHat type of work does your hubby do Mandy?
    Sorry to lose you. Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

DH is a paratrooper in the National Guard. Currently he's out of full-time work but he was originally full-time Army and then after he got out he worked as a security manager.

Was the answer to the Latin American question C or D? Those were my guesses, and I'm leaning more toward C. Now I'm curious.

Sorry to lose you. Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

DH is a paratrooper in the National Guard. Currently he's out of full-time work but he was originally full-time Army and then after he got out he worked as a security manager.
    It's ok. I tend to stay confused in this thread, it keeps me on my toes

Did I miss where you said what the job in NY would be for him?? I would think that if it was a decent paying job that even with the increase in cost of living in NY, assuming you could get a job, it might be worth it.

I would never want to live in NY though. I don't even have a desire to visit.

My vote is D on the Latin American question. That's just a guess though

DH actually voted for B. I have no idea whether or not he's right, but he did live in Panama for several years when he was in the army and he knows a lot about the local culture there. All I know is, weren't they fighting a strong centralized government that was overly repressive? Christina, I agree, I might vote for D.

I didn't say what the job was. I mentioned in this thread last fall that he did a cooking course for veterans in NY (you probably don't remember that). One of his contacts he made through that was trying to find candidates for someone interested in a cooking job at a restaurant near West Point. His being an army guy with cooking experience is a plus for applying but it would be a low-level position since he doesn't have a lot of work experience in that area. He did talk to them, though, and they are interested in bringing him on.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 05-30-2012 at 12:01 PM.

I would never want to live in NY though. I don't even have a desire to visit.
    HEY!!!!

I remember Mandy. I was sorely disappointed you didn't get to fly out and see me...er, him.

LOL! Me, too. And pretty much in that order!

If you move out here we'll get to see each other for sure.

I'm actually a little excited - my brother, sister, niece and nephews, BFF, and APA buddies! Plus potentially a lot more money, and grass and trees.

BUT - snow. And humidity. And New Yorkers.

HEY!!!!
    Ooops!!

I would only ever, ever go to NY to see you

It is exciting!

And for all that NY is so expensive (there's no denying it) people make it work. Gosh, we lived here making less than 45,000/year for a long time. I don't know how, but we managed. You won't even have to worry about that. Maybe one of you will have a longer commute, but most places have public transportation which is much cheaper than driving your own car. Even my rural county offers it (it's a state mandate, actually). Just write to the BOE and start looking...who knows what might pop up that will be a perfect fit for you. And I'd think that summer time would be the best time to look for positions like yours, especially if you want to work in a school.

Ooops!!

I would only ever, ever go to NY to see you
    That's better.

Believe it or not, NY has a lot to offer for visitors. I'm partial to upstate (and if you like rural, that's the place to visit) but NYC is nice to visit as well.