Page 1068 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 685689681018105810661067106810691070107811181168 ... LastLast
Results 32,011 to 32,040 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

Oh Myles I can see the pics now! Those are SO cool! Man, I wish I was crafty. I would wear those every day!

That is true Bridget, but signs of malabsorbtion usually (being the operative word) would present itself in a stool sample. It is something that I will have to revisit as he gets older if the symptoms that he shows persists. Or maybe I'll try going gluten free myself and see what happens. It just looks SO hard though since gluten is in just about everything!!

Chrissy that is awful!! WTH happened to the ZERO TOLERANCE on bullying!! Were the other girls punished at all??? How exactly is she supposed to act towards being treated like that?!?! I would've ended up in a fight I can tell you that much I am SO ticked right now for you. That is inexcuseable. People wonder why there are kids committing suicide and school shootings! Maybe if those who are in charge actually DID something it wouldn't happen so often.

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    Chrissy that is awful!! WTH happened to the ZERO TOLERANCE on bullying!! Were the other girls punished at all??? How exactly is she supposed to act towards being treated like that?!?! I would've ended up in a fight I can tell you that much I am SO ticked right now for you. That is inexcuseable. People wonder why there are kids committing suicide and school shootings! Maybe if those who are in charge actually DID something it wouldn't happen so often.
    Oh-she even mentioned something about my 'accusatory statements' (when I mentioned the previous 5 suicides) and reminded me I worked at Cornell and how unfair my comments were (Cornell has also had a high number of suicides that made national news). I haven't responded yet, but when I address that piece I will list all the stuff Cornell has done, including having staff available 24/7, and I'll point out that although I'm not an administrator and don't work in an administrator's office, if I did receive a call or come into contact with anyone that had the concerns I was putting forth to that secretary last night, I would most DEFINITELY NOT be exasperated and pissy. I would be empathetic. I would miss my bus and stay with the person, in person or on the phone, till real help arrived and I wouldn't resent it for a minute.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Chrissy - That is disgusting about Sydney's school. Can you threaten legal action to get them to pay a little more attention? Does the school have a written policy on bullying, and are they following it? Their response to this is not acceptable!

Also, if you start taking valcyclovir (valtrex) right away, it can help significantly shorten the healing time on a really nasty cold sore. I don't do it for a smaller one, but if I get a really huge one, or several all at once, I'll try to get a script...otherwise they can take weeks to completely heal on me.
    D-Mama (37) D-Dada (43) and D-Baby (11/02/2011)

Quote Originally Posted by dana_renay View Post
    Chrissy - That is disgusting about Sydney's school. Can you threaten legal action to get them to pay a little more attention? Does the school have a written policy on bullying, and are they following it? Their response to this is not acceptable!

Also, if you start taking valcyclovir (valtrex) right away, it can help significantly shorten the healing time on a really nasty cold sore. I don't do it for a smaller one, but if I get a really huge one, or several all at once, I'll try to get a script...otherwise they can take weeks to completely heal on me.
    I'm waiting to think clearly about what I want to say. I don't know that threatening legal action is going to resolve anything though. They've always been like that. I remember when Jesi was being teased in 4th grade and the teacher actually said to me on the phone, "It's been my experience that when 1 child is singled out in the classroom, it's an indicator of something going on at home." They ALWAYS blame the parents, no matter what happens! If it continues, I will call child protective services. I have done that before and it worked. The case was founded against the school because they didn't address Bobbie being pushed every day for weeks/months in Kindergarten. They told me they couldn't watch all the kids all the time in the halls. My point was-you KNOW who the culprit and victim are! Watch them!!

Isn't it too late for the valtrex? I thought you had to take it at the first sign of a cold sore. Mine is full blown, huge, red, ***** and extremely sore. If it's not too late, I'm calling my dr's office.

NY's anti-Bullying legislation, passed in June of 2010:

http://www.bullypolice.org/ny_law.html

Take it to the media, perhaps?

I've started taking the valtrex as late as Day 3 and still have it helped, but that was a multi-sore outbreak. If it is still developing new blisters and still tingling, I think it could still help.

By developing new blisters, I mean growing. Not necessarily additional sores.

NY's anti-Bullying legislation, passed in June of 2010:

http://www.bullypolice.org/ny_law.html
    did you see the very bottom?

S 5. This act shall take effect July 1, 2012, except that any rules or regulations necessary for the timely implementation of this act on its effective date shall be promulgated on or before such date.
    I can guarantee the school will point that out!

But even prior to that, there was another zero tolerance law in effect. It wasn't as strict as this one but bullying hasn't been 'allowed' for quite some time. I remember quoting it when Bobbie and Jesi had issues in Elem school.

And Bridget I wouldn't be able to take something like this to the media. For one, I doubt it's 'newsworthy' enough and for another, I couldn't do that to Syd. Everyone would not it was her mom that did it.

I've started taking the valtrex as late as Day 3 and still have it helped, but that was a multi-sore outbreak. If it is still developing new blisters and still tingling, I think it could still help.

By developing new blisters, I mean growing. Not necessarily additional sores.
    ok, i'll call them and see if it helps. It definitely still feels sore. I can't tell if it's actually tingly or not though.

Ah, yes, of course.

That's a bummer. I'd still look into whether or not the school has a written policy on bullying and what that policy says they will do if they receive a report of bullying. I would also like to know how trouble at your home caused someone to tell your child that she should kill herself?! That's just a ridiculous statement.

I'm checking in from my phone, so I can't type as much as I'd like, but Chrissy, I am disgusted at that school. I can remember a few months ago when I was working with the 6th graders at my school and a group of girls came in and just sort of casually said to the teacher that a boy was bullying them. The teacher took the boy aside and I could hear him (the teacher) telling the boy about how serious it is to be accused of bullying, so he should think about his actions.

Chrissy, I wouldn't even wait to call Child Protective Services. I'd call them now, especially if that's a channel that's worked for you in the past. I'd also try to network with other parents of kids at the school and enlist their help in pressuring the school to enforce stricter anti-bullying policies. No amount of deflecting the blame onto you or Syd will absolve them of their own responsibilities to intervene here. If students harrassed your child on their bus, it happened on their watch. Also, what happened to the Vice Principal who talked to Rich last night? She sounded like she was going to be helpful. Did you have any contact with her? Was she the one who was the jerk, or was it someone else? I wish I were there to get in the faces of people for you.

Christina, that's so awful about your friend dying from the collision. You must be pretty shaken up still about it. I'm sorry.

Erin, thanks for offering to help think up things I can say to my friend. I'll take the topic offline and PM you later, since I feel I kicked the horse dead in here. That is, unless anyone is interested in staying on the subject in the public thread.

Bridget, I'll send you the monkey backpack. No worries about a trade. It probably only has ~5% of its life left on it anyway. And LOVE your cousin's husband's response. Can't say she didn't deserve it.
    Last edited by demigraf; 05-22-2012 at 02:55 PM.

Chrissy, that's horrible. Can you go any higher up? School board? Superintendent's office? As far getting litigious, a note from an attorney seems to light a fire under people, whether it leads to actual legal action or not. I would write down everything in detail either way, including their statements to you, while it's fresh in your mind. The fact that they brought up anything going on in your personal life (your job or your move) is totally pointless and just seems strange... what does that have to do with girls bullying your daughter?!!

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

Christina. Oh my goodness how tragic.

Thanks for the support everyone. I wish I had $5 for every time I've said that in the last going-on-2-years. I wouldn't have to work! I am documenting everything and still thinking about what I want to say. The one that emailed me today was the same one that talked to Rich last night and seemed genuinely horrified about what the kids had said to Syd.

Syd had to tell her side of the story in front of the girls she was making accusations against. I guess that's how the texts/facebook got brought into it. Of course in that situation, Syd downplayed to the VP what had occurred. I really don't know how I'm going to get through to them because this has been their MO since I was a student there. Blame the parents, point out their faults/weaknesses, and carry on like it's not their problem. The VP suggested I put Syd in counseling..which I have nothing against, but again it is more 'blame the victim' mentality. Syd may not have always acted perfect, but she's not the one that told people to go die. THAT is the problem I have. And now the fact that the school is turning their backs on her is my problem. I won't rest. They will likely end up threatening to call the police on me before this is over with.

I went to the walk-in clinic because I couldn't get an appt with my dr until tomorrow. I know the longer you wait, the less likely anything is to work on cold sores. It may be too late for this script to do anything anyway. I called to see if a walk-in provider would even prescribe for me. I didn't want to pay a copay just to be told I'd need to follow-up with my pcp. They said they probably wouldn't prescribe the pills because often the side effects are worse than dealing with an occasional cold sore. I was fine with just getting a cream though if that would help.

When I got there the np walked in and said, "Oh my goodness! That IS a doozy!" Um, gee thanks! She was sweet though and instantly said she wouldn't waste time with a cream as she didn't feel they were helpful anyway. She didn't make me wait for lab work to confirm it either because she said it's clearly a cold sore. She gave me a prescription for Famvir. 500 mg tablets 3x a day for a week. I hope it will help reduce this down to nothing...preferably by tomorrow but at least in the next 2-3 days.

I do need to follow up with my pcp to see why I'm getting them so often all of a sudden. I know they say stress can bring them out but I dunno. I never had stress make them come out every month for 4-5 months straight.

I hope it clears up quickly for you, Chrissy. Question. Sorry if you already said but were the other girls' parents involved in any of the meetings today? I mean, I can't imagine any parent being less than mortified if their child treated another that way.

Dbf goes in for his second surgery tomorrow re: his tendon transplant. Then shortly after that he will be gone for 3 days to interview/train for that job I mentioned to you guys a while back. It's finally coming through although it's not great timing since he's got to be very careful about that wrist. If everything goes well with his job and the salary is enough then all summer I can just stick with the 5 kids I have enrolled thus far and everyone goes home by 1pm daily. I am very, very excited about the idea of having the afternoons just me and mine so we can go to the beach and other adventures. Lots of changes happening around here. I am ready for them.

No, the other parents (and grandparents of the 1 girl that lives with hers) weren't involved. I'm not sure if they've even been informed.

When would dbf be going to Ohio to actually start? Is that where that job opportunity is?

I hope the famvir helps. It seems like the doctor's office always downplays what they can do for a cold sore until you actually bring that big, nasty thing into their office. They seem to be a little more sympathetic once they actually see them. My biggest triggers seem to be stress, hormones and cold weather. But if you've been sick lately and your immune system has been suppressed or overworked, that could be the reason also. You can actually stay on antivirals to prevent further outbreaks until you get to the bottom of it, if they're that bad. I hope your doctor can help you find a solution. Cold sores suck.

I haven't been sick, but I have been under tremendous stress. it just seems like such an ambiguous thing to blame it on...like they don't know what else to say is causing it, so let's just say it's stress. Who knows.

Chrissy....stress can definitely bring them on. http://www.mayoclinic.com/print/cold...l&METHOD=print Clearly says stress and fatigue are triggers. And you have been beyond stressed for a long time now so it's not surprising at all that they are acting up.

Does Syd otherwise like school? If necessary can you pull her from there? Is online school an option?

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

The last time I looked, there weren't any good online options available for 7th grade but I'm going to look again. I have been thinking....am I sure I can't home teach? Really, I don't think I can. I don't understand math beyond the most basic level so there's no way I can teach her. There's only 1 option in Owego and that's where she goes. I don't know what to do. All the private school are religious. And expensive. Like 25,000/year expensive. I wouldn't want to send her to a religious school anyway. There's the charter school Jesi attended, but that doesn't start till 9th grade and Syd is only in 7th. Besides, Jesi kinda ruined that for her because that's where Jesi got into all that trouble....smoking pot, skipping school, and hanging out with less-than-desirables. The school is great-the staff is awesome. The location though is not in the best spot. A couple weeks ago some kids were hanging out out front shooting one of those paper-folded 'footballs' at each other and it his a passing car. A 30-some year old man stopped, got out, and punched a 14-year-old boy in the face repeatedly, causing him to need numerous stitches in his face. I'm not sure I want any of my kids going there now.

Jesi returned home for 1 night but took off again. She said she had a job interview in Dryden so we gave gas money to Bobbie to take her up for that. Bobbie stayed out too late and woke Jesi up at 2:00 a.m. and said that she couldn't take her because she wouldn't wake up in time. Jesi was going to ride the bus with the gas money that we gave her but somehow missed it. She called my brother crying and he took her up for free because she didn't say anything to Tim about having that gas money on her. Bobbie told Rich that she didn't take Jesi because she got a prescription that made her nauseous. The reality is she was out too late and didn't want to get up. Jesi helped herself to her cell phone and she hasn't returned. She told my brother she needed it so she could get jobs. Now I don't know whether I should contact Sprint to shut it off or just let it go.

I feel like both my oldest girls are using us and are incredibly selfish. It's heartbreaking but I don't know what to do about it. I don't know that I have it in me to even deal with them right now.

Chrissy, I know it sounds trite but I think most teenagers are incredibly selfish... I know you had a different experience because you had a lot of responsibility when you were pretty young, but most kids I saw as freshman in college were just amazingly self-absorbed. Somewhere in their twenties most of them make a 180 and become passionate about some cause outside of themselves, but it might just be part of growing up. to you right now, I know I would be feeling pretty defeated too.

If Syd or you are intrested, I've heard good things about Connections Academy, an online middle school. It's a public school as well.

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

Thank you for the link Jennifer. I guess I still like to think I can handle it all without having physical ailments.

Connections Academy looks good, but I'm worried about the accreditation...that 'page was not found' when I tried to read up on it. As was their tuition and fees page. I'm not really in a position where I can afford anything like that right now anyway. But thank you. I will keep looking and thinking about it.

Argh! I hate that you are in this position. If everyone was doing what they were supposed to be doing and looking out for the children of our nation, of the world, we wouldn't have to worry about these things. We shouldn't be afraid to send our children to school.

I think I may have impetigo on my booby because Sawyer had it on his chin. Darnit! Not fun. Are we just going to keep passing it back and forth?

How is it treated? Can you treat both of you at the same time, even if one isn't showing symptoms?

His is basically gone. I treated it with tea tree oil and some leftover cream I had from when Kai had it once. Well, Kai actually didn't have it. He was diagnosed with it and prescribed the cream because he always had that rash around his mouth but the rash was really from the gluten intolerance. But one of my daycare girls had it on her face recently and then Sawyer broke out as well. Right now I am trying the tea tree oil on mine but if it doesn't show improvement by tomorrow I'll try the prescription cream.
    Please, no one yell at me for self diagnosing

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Please, no one yell at me for self diagnosing
    Far be it from me!

One tidbit I learned from reading the Guns N Roses member's autobiographies is that you can buy antibiotics over the counter...just go to the fish store. Whatever they use for fin rot and other fish diseases is antibiotics. If I were broke and had an infection, I wouldn't be above doing it.

Interesting! Dbf uses garlic a lot to treat a fish that is sick.