Page 1061 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 615619611011105110591060106110621063107111111161 ... LastLast
Results 31,801 to 31,830 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

I'm glad your family is tearing into him. That's awesome.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

...and it's always good to learn that a family member is liberal

I'm glad too! I'm always torn on whether or not I should engage is those conversations because I feel like some people just say stuff like that because they want attention and I hate to give it to them. Also, they won't be convinced otherwise. Like I always say, I only talk religion and politics around a campfire with a mug of wine and people that agree with me. So basically, only when I am hanging out with my hippy friends. Or you guys. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I'm glad too! I'm always torn on whether or not I should engage is those conversations because I feel like some people just say stuff like that because they want attention and I hate to give it to them. Also, they won't be convinced otherwise. Like I always say, I only talk religion and politics around a campfire with a mug of wine and people that agree with me. So basically, only when I am hanging out with my hippy friends. Or you guys. lol
    That's really a good philosophy. I need to try and convince Bobbie to do that more. She's been getting herself all worked up, and depressed, over some debates she's entered into on various message boards.

Got an email from my mom....biopsy results were NEGATIVE!!! Now just waiting to hear if they still want to do the D&C or not.

I too really only talk politics or religion with people who agree with me. Or at least are somewhat on the same page....or I know they aren't all pushy and judgemental. Like I could talk about religion with my BFF's DH...he's Hindu and I'm obviously not. But I'm lucky in that my entire family is liberal and not religous. DH's family has religion there but they are nice about it and most are Democrats except his one cousin which we are surprised about....keeps on posting trash about the walker recall....but than again her boyfriend is rich and we suspect she is getting it from him.

It really must be hard to be a liberal in a family of religious conservatives. I grew up listening to such interesting conversations at the table during family gatherings...my uncle was a gay hippie artist who was in CA in the 70's and early 80's...and the most interesting person I ever have known. He could talk for hours and hours and seemed to have ideas or knowledge on such a huge variety of topics. And my mom and auntie (also gay) are talkers....I became a talker. Dad and my sister (another gay family member....and people don't think it's genetic!) are the quiet ones. My dad is a liberal even if he doesn't know it. He asked me not all that long ago what it mean being left or right....I said dude, you are on the left.
    I miss my uncle...just has been so different going back home and he's not there. Like we are going down somtime in the future and he would have been over every day we were down visiting with us.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Oh Jennifer that's WONDERFUL news about your mom's biopsy!!!

Jennifer, what a relief that your mom's biopsy came back NEGATIVE. Cause for celebration!

That is fantastic news Jennifer!!!!!!!!

I don't get into politics and pretty much only discuss religion with my mom or my husband and my fellow heathen co-worker I have a SIL/BIL that are Jehovah Witnesses and thankfully I don't speak wiht them anymore, but my SIL inparticular tends to preach at my husband. He has the inability to even pretend to be politically correct and tells her that her converted religion is full of crap She does push him about it though, can't say I blame him.

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

That's brilliant news, Jennifer!

I talked to my dad tonight about his cataract; he's having it taken out by surgery at the end of the month. I'm so relieved he got it checked out. My mom's company is slowlying laying off people as they've moved some of their production to another state, so she's a bit worried about her job, but she keeps saying she's not worried too much since she's near retirement age any how and could probably draw disability on herself since she has all sorts of health issues, including ADD! (I never knew she had an official diagnosis for it, but apparently, she has!) I always thought she was a very lively little thing, so now we know why!

I've been sending off applications for teaching assistant jobs in the area, so if y'all have any spare heathen vibes, could you pass them my way this weekend as I post the applications out?

I took Travis to the opticicans today and he had to have his eyes dilated (he hates having that done!) We sat in the waiting area for about 30 minutes to let the drops take affect and after about 10 minutes, he started waving his hand in front of his face and started screaming, "I can't seeeeeeeee!!!!!! What did that doctor do to meee!" And then he started pulling at his hair and acting all crazy, so I had to tell him to calm down and that it was just for his eyes to be tested. He did calm down after I distracted him by talking about which chocolate he could have when we got home for being brave at the opticians. He is severely far sighted in his left eye but his right eye is nearly normal. Thank goodness for technology or else he'd be wearing coke-bottle glasses!

I don't blame him, that would freak me out too! Chocolate fixes everything

I am always a bit bothered by the number of views vs posts in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    I am always a bit bothered by the number of views vs posts in this thread.
    We keep the masses entertained; like a heathen cast of Days of our Lives.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    Apparently!! There is almost 22x more views than posts and yes I'm the nerd who did the math

Lurkers, Lurkers, where you be?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    LOL! Love it!

Jennifer, I'm so glad to hear the good news about your mom. Yay!

Thanks for the Clomid information. I really should print that out and bring it to the RE at my appointment. I do blame the Clomid, but I'm keeping my appointment with the Internist I made in a few weeks because I am a little worried about diabetes. My coworker decided this morning that I must be getting diabetes and she kept asking me all these questions about my family. My grandfather and aunt both developed Type II diabetes - but they were both overweight and in their 60's when they got it. I weigh about 125 lbs and I'm in my 30's. Could I really have Type II Diabetes? I do eat a lot of sugar. I feel like I should have it checked, though. Depending on what this doctor says, I might see a neurologist also. Oh, this is fun.

I am better today - but still having symptoms.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

That's great news, Jennifer!

I'm one of the lurkers, LOL! I read a lot more frequently than I post, especially when I'm on the Ipad. This thing is a pain in the butt to compose long posts on.

Mandy, it doesn't hurt to check it out. DH has been prediabetic for a while, and is now on meds for it. No real risk factors, other than crappy genetics. I hope you feel better soon.
    Last edited by Suja; 05-16-2012 at 06:10 PM.

I'm glad you're feeling better Mandy. I don't really appreciate your coworker nagging you about diabetes like that. It really could be anything! And not something as concerning as diabetes either. I'm glad you're keeping your appt.

Ash, do you think your mom wants to get laid off? Is the federal government still picking up after state unemployment runs out, or was that just for people laid off in '08-'10?

You have my heathen well wishes!

Poor Travis! That does sound frightful. I'm glad he doesn't have to wear coke-bottle glasses.

Christina, I think many of the views are us checking back in. When Jesi was missing the first time and I was so freaked out, everyone was stopping in-even people that never participate in this thread-to see if I'd heard anything. There have been other situations where we've been anxious for news and keep looking to see if there's an update. I admit the one that sort of freaked me out was when someone (Myles? L? I can't remember) was up late and bored one night and happened to notice our page views going up 1 at a time, up to 300 times in a few hours I think. It was like someone was reading from waaaaayyyyyy back up to the current point at that moment. I suspected my boss at the time and wouldn't be surprised if I ever learned it was.

Maybe I'm naive but I don't think anyone is really spying on us that much. Some might browse around out of curiosity but I think most lose interest quickly. Or decide to join us.

I lurk. A lot. Sorry if I made you nervous. I really like you guys, but I'm no good at online relationships. I'm that weird kid that is always skulking around where the cool clique hangs out.
    D-Mama (37) D-Dada (43) and D-Baby (11/02/2011)

Quote Originally Posted by dana_renay View Post
    I lurk. A lot. Sorry if I made you nervous. I really like you guys, but I'm no good at online relationships. I'm that weird kid that is always skulking around where the cool clique hangs out.
    Stop in and say hi! We don't mind.

Nope, we don't mind. We don't bite either. Well, Myles nibbles a little but it tickles and we rather enjoy that

It's funny, I actually stopped lurking around at APA for months and months after my baby was born. Guess I wasn't feeling the need to live vicariously. Then I went back to work, and sometimes I need a distraction soooo...APA sucked me back in. Plus, I couldn't stop wondering about some of my favorite "characters" on here, lol! I actually came back the first time just to check whether Jennifer or Mandy had gotten pregnant or placed with a baby yet. Then I had to check on Bridget. And L. and Lizzo. And Chrissy. And Mandy. And Kate. And so on and so forth.

Yes, you all are like the heathen Days of Our Lives.
    D-Mama (37) D-Dada (43) and D-Baby (11/02/2011)

Awww! Thanks.

We are definitely a cast of characters, I'm sure.

Too funny. Please, feel free to join us.

Quote Originally Posted by dana_renay View Post
    Yes, you all are like the heathen Days of Our Lives.
    That's like the best compliment ever!

I haven't watched Days in ages. Can't speak for our characters, but we're all HAWT!

And welcome, Dana!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I probably check in here at least 10 times for every time I post. Part of it is being on my phone when I'm out, and part of it is just hitting refresh if I'm already on the page. And part of it is just not having anything to say all the time but wanting to see what everyone else is up to. And then sometimes I'm really chatty and take over every other post.

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    I probably check in here at least 10 times for every time I post. Part of it is being on my phone when I'm out, and part of it is just hitting refresh if I'm already on the page. And part of it is just not having anything to say all the time but wanting to see what everyone else is up to. And then sometimes I'm really chatty and take over every other post.

Me too! So a lot of those "lurker" views are probably us.

And Jennifer, so happy to hear about your Mom!

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

I refresh while I'm reading this page, too,so it doesn't log me out. I also lurk sometimes. Believe it or not, I don't always have something to say. So I'm definitely guilty of adding to the view count in here.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I've added three views to the count since I posted last.

I update/refresh a lot without posting too

Jennifer, so glad for the good news about your mom!

I usually refrain from religious/political discussions unless it is with like-minded people as well. I'm just not a good debator and have no need to try to sway people to my side. My best friend is a fellow liberal heathen though, so she is my IRL go-to person. I'd say at least 75% of the people I hang out with including both family and friends, are very liberal/open minded politically, but not nearly as many are on my side religiously. DH's mom is a JW, but is very non-confrontational about it. In fact, I don't think she's ever mentioned it more than saying something like, sorry I missed your call, I was at a meeting. She knows her sons all moved out early because of it and she doesn't want to lose them again now that she is back in their lives.
    AKA Lisa724

I do the lurking thing a lot nowadays, too, since I check in on my phone a lot and it's a pain typing out more than 10 words on it. But any how, welcome, Dana!

Nothing much to report so far for today; the kids drove me insane this morning with their non-stop fighting, shouting and crying, but Cash is napping now, so I'm entertaining Travis by playing with his teddy bears with him. We've been practicing his writing; he signed all his thank-you cards from his birthday party all by himself. I'm still feeling a little run down. The weather here is still grey and rainy. I wish spring would arrive already. We better get a summer this year, or I am definitely looking in to moving to Spain soon!