Page 1059 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 595599591009104910571058105910601061106911091159 ... LastLast
Results 31,741 to 31,770 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

My hair is still falling out from having kids.

Or perhaps I'm pulling it out. But really, what's the difference? I'm still bald.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

hmmm, then I guess I won't worry about it yet. I am still nursing full time, he eats some solids, but not much.
    AKA Lisa724

SCUBJIA!
    I have a surprise day off today! Luckily it's also a day that I chose to keep Savana home because her school field trip is McDonalds in the park and tour the hospital, neither of which I care for her to do. I know, I know, everything in moderation but our family is morally opposed to McDonalds for more than one reason AND I don't bring my kids into a hospital unless they are really sick (especially my daughter who licks her fingers all day as part of her ocd). So that's that!

Chrissy, when I read that you got your own place, I actually caught myself giving a big sigh. I think it's fanstastic you took this very difficult step and whatever happens as a result, I feel in my heart that you will not regret it. I'm sorry the kids are taking it hard but hopefully one day they will look back and learn from the example you have set for them that you have to seek happiness if you find yourself drowning in depression. I'm really proud of you.

We've been dealing with so much illness around here but I do believe that we are healthy now. I have a bit of sore throat this morning (and that's what one of my daycare kids is out sick with yesterday and today) but I usually can shake these things off with my regimen of wellness herbs.

I never blowdry my hair. In fact, my mil asked me for one while she was here and I didn't even think I had one until dbf pulled one out and said he bought it when he was putting plastic over out windows last winter. Savana and Kai were like, "What is THAT?" Same thing they said when they saw an iron

Bridget, when I saw in the other post that you weren't sending her to the field trip to the hospital, I was like huh...that is something that would have never occured to me. After I thought about it though, I decided that it would depend on what parts of the hospital. Really I think that the kids are much more dangerous to the patients than the patients to the kids. But I work in a hospital...and see the daycare kids walking through the lobby on a regular basis. And I can see DH or his mom bringing our kid over to me at work so I can show the coworkers or have lunch together. Of course in the area I work, I see mostly families of patients who are up in rooms or in surgery. Not like the clinics where people show up when they are sick with infections.
    I'm not anti-mcdonalds....but it's been I think 3 years since I ate there (I also think it was the last time I threw up...side effect of gastric bypass is I don't do greasy food well or certain combos of foods). I'm ok with going on a field trip there....though looking back it was usually middle or high school. But it is a bit strange that they didn't just do picnic lunches in the park. I wonder if in the past they had issues with too many kids not bringing a bag lunch from home?

A blower dryer is also really handy for heating labels before pulling them off stuff. I HATE when you try to pull a label off something you bought and it rips and sticks and looks bad. Especially on something decorative that you can see the label still. Heating it up first usually solves the problem.

I have had a couple of coworkers sick. I hope that I manage to stay healthy. We are going on vacation sometime this month. Once I started the diet, I got back on my vitamins. I have been really bad about that lately and I should know better....another side effect of surgery is that I'm on vitamins for life...or at least I'm supposed to be taking them daily.

Still haven't heard anything from the biopsy results for my mom. This waiting is just awful.

I'm trying to decide when to start really getting the nursery ready. I fully believe that it will happen even if it takes a while still. I can be patient enough. I don't think that it will be hard to look at the room and will be nice to look at my cute snoopy stuff for a while since I know baby doesn't use things like a crib comforter. LOL I might have a few months notice of baby coming.....or I might not get that much notice at all. And I know I need to paint the room and buy furniture and get it all put together. It would be nice to put a picture of a nursery all ready in the portfolio...right now I have a picture of some of the stuff laid out on a bed in the room. I'm saving up amazon rewards (credit card since we use it for just about everything and pay off every month) and have about $75 towards the crib and the one I want is $200. So maybe at the end of the summer I will have enough for the crib and will make that a fall project.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I went on a field trip to a hospital in high school and it is my FAVORITE field trip of all time. We went to see the cadavers and got to look at all the organs as a part of our anatomy class. It was both educational and funny for me because the boys were trying to look at the dead lady cadaver's boobs (which is disgusting to me now and weird but back then it was hilarious, the mind of a 16 year old I tell you) and one of my friends puked after seeing the cadavers. I felt bad for her but still my 16 year old mind thought it funny. We ate lunch in the hospital cafeteria after looking at the cadavers and everyone was complaining about how they no longer had an appetite.

I thought at the time that I would like to donate my body to science so that med students could learn from me. I still would like to do that but I'm sure DH or my kids probably wouldn't want to give my body to over to become a cadaver. DH does know that this is one of my wishes though either that or to be cremated - all or nothing.

I wouldn't want my young kids going to a hospital though. Too many germs IMO especially if they kept their fingers in their mouths. And I still don't understand the McDonald's thing. Ky went on his fieldtrip today to Stone Mountain and they are going to hike and have a picnic lunch and learn about animal habitats. Even though it cost $10 and we have a parking pass for Stone Mountain so it would be free for us to just drive up there, I'm happy they are going on this sort of field trip versus just going to the park and eating McDonald's.

Erin

I don't get the point of a Hospital as part of a field trip. That just seems bizarre to me Or McDs in the park.... I am just really baffled. I don't remember doing anything like that when I was in school.

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

All this talk of McD's is making me want a whopper from Burger King!!!

I'm in the middle of making Travis' thank you notes for his birthday party and filling in an application for a teaching assistant job...just procrastinating, really, til DH gets home and can entertain the boys so that I can truly concentrate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    I went on a field trip to a hospital in high school and it is my FAVORITE field trip of all time. We went to see the cadavers and got to look at all the organs as a part of our anatomy class. It was both educational and funny for me because the boys were trying to look at the dead lady cadaver's boobs (which is disgusting to me now and weird but back then it was hilarious, the mind of a 16 year old I tell you) and one of my friends puked after seeing the cadavers. I felt bad for her but still my 16 year old mind thought it funny. We ate lunch in the hospital cafeteria after looking at the cadavers and everyone was complaining about how they no longer had an appetite.

I thought at the time that I would like to donate my body to science so that med students could learn from me. I still would like to do that but I'm sure DH or my kids probably wouldn't want to give my body to over to become a cadaver. DH does know that this is one of my wishes though either that or to be cremated - all or nothing.

I wouldn't want my young kids going to a hospital though. Too many germs IMO especially if they kept their fingers in their mouths. And I still don't understand the McDonald's thing. Ky went on his fieldtrip today to Stone Mountain and they are going to hike and have a picnic lunch and learn about animal habitats. Even though it cost $10 and we have a parking pass for Stone Mountain so it would be free for us to just drive up there, I'm happy they are going on this sort of field trip versus just going to the park and eating McDonald's.

Erin
    You can donate your body to science and then have your ashes returned to the family when they're through. That's what my mil's friend did. It was maybe 9 months to a year (I really can't remember) but they sent her cremated remains back to her husband with a very gracious thank you note to him. The urn was lovely too...as lovely as such things can be.

I started to have heart pains (emotional ones, not a heart attack!) when I took Conner for his kindergarten assessment today. I'm really leaving him behind. I can't wrap my head around that. I know I'll see him every day and he can/will spend the night with me, and at some point we're going to do the joint custody thing...but still. I'm leaving my baby behind?!

Oh Chrissy

My mom is entertaining the idea of donating her body to science, she hasn't decided for sure yet though. It's nice to know they will return her ashes though

I am definitely being cremated, as is DH. DH won't talk about death prep so I don't know what he "wants", but I don't do funerals/graves so unless he expresse a deep desire for something inparticular that is what is happening

I'm still not really sure what I want done with my body when I die. I don't know if they'll want it for science after all it's been through (or maybe they would want it, just for that reason)

I'm really kind of confused by the concept of a field trip to McDonald's. I'm not really clear on the educational value of it, unless it's meant to be some sort of reward/treat for kids, and well...I think the case for why that's not much of a reward is pretty well covered at this point (i.e. Fast Food Nation, Supersize Me, the Omnivore's Dilemma, In Defense of Food, etc). So Bridget, I would probably have the same hesitation if Bodhi's school trip was to McD's.

Chrissy, I know you have your reservations about moving out, so I will be a little less enthusiastic this time in my comments, but I just want you to know I have high hopes that you'll find your happiness striking out on your own. I think Syd & your other children will grow a lot from the experience as well, difficult transition aside. Perhaps Rich too. I do hope that the transition will be as smooth as possible for all those involved.

L, I'm so relieved to hear you weren't hurt in your car accident. And I hope you get some rest, mama!

Jennifer, that's terrible news about your mom. My dad is the same way... he waits until he goes through all the tests and gets a prognosis before he shares with us. It's infuriating sometimes because we want to share his worry and help him through the periods of uncertainty, and we can't if we don't know. I hope it turns out to be the best case scenario for your mom.

Christina, I wish your mom good luck. You seem to be so much in her court. I think she's pretty lucky to have a daughter like you who's always concerned about her.
    Last edited by demigraf; 05-15-2012 at 04:59 PM.

Erin, your Crawley story reminded me of the time my dad caught a turtle in a lake when he was out fishing. We brought him home and named him Sammy. One morning he up and disappeared. My folks said he probably escaped and ran away. But I have to wonder if Sammy met a similar fate as Crawley, and my parents didn't have the heart to tell me. I'll have to ask them the next chance I get.

I will admit to that I love any chance to keep Savana home because I just love it when she's here and I miss her so much when she is gone. And what a bonus that it just happened to turn into a family day. Her teacher is cool in that she doesn't seem to think it's a big deal for Savana to miss days. It is just kindergarten after all and her teacher always tells me that I am free to keep her home if I am not comfortable with her participating. If she had really wanted to go, I'd have let her go but she jumps at a chance to stay home. She told me the other day that she'd rather be sick than go to school and that made me sad. I hope our experience at the charter school will be better. I know just the simple fact that everything is so loud is a point of stress for Savana. Too many kids. It was a supposed to be a special treat, btw. They are also going to the zoo at the end of the month and for sure I want her to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Erin, your Crawley story reminded me of the time my dad caught a turtle in a lake when he was out fishing. We brought him home and named him Sammy. One morning he up and disappeared. My folks said he probably escaped and ran away. But I have to wonder if Sammy met a similar fate as Crawley, and my parents didn't have the heart to tell me. I'll have to ask them the next chance I get.
    I'm sorry M, but I laughed at the thought of a turtle "running away".

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

Poor Crawley. And Sammy. Yeah - do turtles run away?

I confess something is wrong with me. Sunday night I took my final Clomid dose before bed, then watched a show on Netflix and after the show was over, I went to bed. It must have been about an hour after taking my pill, and I noticed my legs were tingling (that pins-and-needles feeling like when your legs fall asleep). I couldn't figure out why. Well, it didn't go away and I told DH if I had a stroke or something, he'd know what happened. I was breathing fine, heart rate fine, everything else okay except the tingling. It was still there when I woke up Monday, went to work, and it continued all day. It also moved up into my hands/forearms while I was typing. After lunch I decided to call the RE and see what he thought. I spoke with a nurse, who said she was going to talk to the doctor and call me back. She never did.

Tingling continued all last night and today. I called the doctor's office again late this morning and apparently the woman left a message on an incorrect phone number telling me to go to the ER if it gets worse. Nice to know that's how they handle their emergency messages. It isn't worse, but it isn't better. Pretty much has been the same intensity since it started. The doctor said it is not a known side effect of Clomid. Dr. Google of course suggests a ton of terrifying possibilities, including diabetes and MS. One thing I did turn up is that sometimes people have this as a symptom of menopause and it is due to estrogen fluctuations. Since Clomid affects my estrogen levels, it would make sense to me that it could be related? But the doctor says it isn't. Just seems like it must be since it came on 1 hour after taking the Clomid and it can be related to estrogen levels. That or I'm going to die or something. I'll keep you all posted. I did make an appointment with a regular doctor but it isn't until June 4. Pretty much everyone, my coworkers, DH, etc. feel that going to urgent care is pointless as they won't run any tests. They'll just tell me I'm not dying and then have no idea what is wrong with me. Hopefully this will go away ... someday. No sign of it yet.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Mandy, that is very, very strange and scary. I think your theory is the only thing that makes sense and how odd that your dr wouldn't see the correlation.

I would be pretty worried, Mandy. Have you tried to walk or exercise - maybe that would help the situation move along. Your doctor is bugging me!

I can see how people would see McDonald's as a treat and would schedule it as a part of a field trip - it is a predictable and easy place that most kids would be pretty happy to go to. I wouldn't agree with it or want J to eat there, but I don't think it is so outlandish.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Mandy, that is alarming. If you even suspect it might be getting slightly worse, go to ER. Better safe than sorry. You know we worry about you.

I don't think going to McDonalds as a side trip on a field trip is that big of a deal for my kids. It's a treat. imo, that's all McDonalds should be used for anyway. Not a regular dietary stop! Some people go every week (or even more often)...I don't know how they can do that, but to each their own.

Yes, I totally agree that McDonalds once in awhile is no biggie. It goes deeper than that for us, like clearcutting of rainforests and such. It's important to me to that myself and my children are concious consumers. I also really wish schools would take teaching health and nutrition as seriously as math and science. The childhood obesity rates in my area just keep rising and it's so tragic if you ask me. And how ironic that they were having a visit to the hospital to learn about health and safety and then eating at McDonalds. Makes no sense to me.

That is ironic that it ties into a lesson on health. Just crazy.

I will say, though, that school lunches are far worse than McDonald's. I'm sure they aren't any better environmentally, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post

I will say, though, that school lunches are far worse than McDonald's. I'm sure they aren't any better environmentally, either.
    Absolutely agree. Don't even get me started! So effed up that our schools do not feed our children healthy food.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Absolutely agree. Don't even get me started! So effed up that our schools do not feed our children healthy food.
    I can't understand why that isn't a top priority.

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Christina, I wish your mom good luck. You seem to be so much in her court. I think she's pretty lucky to have a daughter like you who's always concerned about her.
    Aww thanks. As corny as it sounds my mom is my best friend Most people I know think it's strange, but I love it!

I confess something is wrong with me. Sunday night I took my final Clomid dose before bed, then watched a show on Netflix and after the show was over, I went to bed. It must have been about an hour after taking my pill, and I noticed my legs were tingling (that pins-and-needles feeling like when your legs fall asleep). I couldn't figure out why. Well, it didn't go away and I told DH if I had a stroke or something, he'd know what happened. I was breathing fine, heart rate fine, everything else okay except the tingling. It was still there when I woke up Monday, went to work, and it continued all day. It also moved up into my hands/forearms while I was typing. After lunch I decided to call the RE and see what he thought. I spoke with a nurse, who said she was going to talk to the doctor and call me back. She never did.

Tingling continued all last night and today. I called the doctor's office again late this morning and apparently the woman left a message on an incorrect phone number telling me to go to the ER if it gets worse. Nice to know that's how they handle their emergency messages. It isn't worse, but it isn't better. Pretty much has been the same intensity since it started. The doctor said it is not a known side effect of Clomid. Dr. Google of course suggests a ton of terrifying possibilities, including diabetes and MS. One thing I did turn up is that sometimes people have this as a symptom of menopause and it is due to estrogen fluctuations. Since Clomid affects my estrogen levels, it would make sense to me that it could be related? But the doctor says it isn't. Just seems like it must be since it came on 1 hour after taking the Clomid and it can be related to estrogen levels. That or I'm going to die or something. I'll keep you all posted. I did make an appointment with a regular doctor but it isn't until June 4. Pretty much everyone, my coworkers, DH, etc. feel that going to urgent care is pointless as they won't run any tests. They'll just tell me I'm not dying and then have no idea what is wrong with me. Hopefully this will go away ... someday. No sign of it yet.
    That is scary! The only time I have had that tingling sensation was while I was pregnant, swollen, and my BP was up so I am no help I hope it gets better!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Yes, I totally agree that McDonalds once in awhile is no biggie. It goes deeper than that for us, like clearcutting of rainforests and such. It's important to me to that myself and my children are concious consumers. I also really wish schools would take teaching health and nutrition as seriously as math and science. The childhood obesity rates in my area just keep rising and it's so tragic if you ask me. And how ironic that they were having a visit to the hospital to learn about health and safety and then eating at McDonalds. Makes no sense to me.
    Huh?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    That is scary! The only time I have had that tingling sensation was while I was pregnant, swollen, and my BP was up so I am no help I hope it gets better!!!
    I was also swollen - forgot to mention that. I had to take off my wedding ring because my finger was swollen and I couldn't get it off at first. I haven't put it back on yet. DH thinks I look less swollen than I did.

This really does sound hormone related, doesn't it? Or maybe blood pressure, as you said. I'm wondering about my MTHFR but I'm on all the vitamins I'm supposed to be for that and my blood pressure has always been fine (haven't checked in a few months but it was good in February).

Can you stop in to a dr's office and have a nurse check your bp? Our offices up here will do that for free. I think it's worth a check. It can change drastically from day to day...what it was months ago is irrelevant really.

I don't think I could do that for free. Maybe urgent care would do it, though?

I was also swollen - forgot to mention that. I had to take off my wedding ring because my finger was swollen and I couldn't get it off at first. I haven't put it back on yet. DH thinks I look less swollen than I did.

This really does sound hormone related, doesn't it? Or maybe blood pressure, as you said. I'm wondering about my MTHFR but I'm on all the vitamins I'm supposed to be for that and my blood pressure has always been fine (haven't checked in a few months but it was good in February).
    It does sound hormone related. I know swelling can/is associated with taking Clomid. I am surprised it would all of a sudden pop up since you have taken Clomid previously though. Couldn't hurt to check your BP to rule that out.

Can you call your dr's and ask to talk to the nurse and see if she'd just take you in and check your blood pressure? It doesn't even take 10 minutes and if there's real concern (which imo there is) that your bp could be up, it's worth a check.

It's so different there. I don't think our urgent care would, but almost any dr's office would.

I don't think I could do that for free. Maybe urgent care would do it, though?
    Go use the free machine at Wally World or Walgreens.

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    Go use the free machine at Wally World or Walgreens.
    Hadn't thought of that. Perfect.