Page 1036 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 36536936986102610341035103610371038104610861136 ... LastLast
Results 31,051 to 31,080 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

I'm not sure if this is true or not...but I think it's an interesting idea. I wonder how Cornell Police would handle security with Bieber attending classes here?

Justin Bieberís finally all grown up sources say heís going to be going to Cornell University starting August of 2012. Bieber says he canít wait to finally get a taste of college life. Froobop Media has an exclusive interview with him.

Justin Bieber Accepted to Cornell University
    Will Attend in the Fall

An Exclusive Interview: One on One with Justin
    With: Daniel Salkony
    DS: So Justin, tell me about how excited you were to hear about your admittance?
    JB: Well Dan, I really couldnít believe it. Itís still sinking in.

DS: Youíre used to being a pop superstar and a global icon, how hard is it going to be fitting in to the real world.

JB: Well, Iím really excited to be a normal kid again. Going around touring and having girls scream at me has been exhausting. Iím going to have a good time at Cornell.
    DS: But Justin, the girls are still going to be attacking you and jumping all over you.

JB: Dan, did you see what Emma Watson did at Brown. A new haircut and a little bit of an attitude and Ill have everyone backing off.
    Read more in Education
    ę Favorable, You Cannot, Along with The Ugly of Classes Online
    Online Education is a Great Way to Get The Degree You Always Wanted Ľ

DS: Speaking of chicks, how are you and Ms. Gomez doing

JB: Hahahaha, Dan you know better not to ask about that. But to tell you the truth, as great of a girl that she is, I really want to try to do college the right way

DS: So are you saying your going into college with no strings attached. Címon JB the girls wanna know

JB: Hahahaha, Dan you have to put me on the spot like that. Iíll leave that up for people to find out when I get there.
    DS: Well, there you have it. Justin Bieber giving us the inside scoop on him attending Cornell in August.

Read more: http://socyberty.com/education/teen-...#ixzz1sXondYyh

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I was thinking of Emma Watson too and then he mentioned her. LOL
    Do your kids like Bieber, Chrissy?

I could make snarky comments but I'll refrain. Celebrities deserve to have everyday lives and educations, too.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    I was thinking of Emma Watson too and then he mentioned her. LOL
    Do your kids like Bieber, Chrissy?

I could make snarky comments but I'll refrain. Celebrities deserve to have everyday lives and educations, too.
    I don't know who Emma Watson is. I don't think my kids like him...I'm not familiar with any of his songs and I don't think he sings any of the type my girls' listen to. I've heard that "baby baby ooohhhh" song here and there, but beyond that, I have no idea what he does.

But even if I don't like his music, I always remember he's still a kid. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to live under all that scrutiny and have people that don't even know you say rotten things all over the media. I know I'd never want my kids to go through it. Living with what kids in school say is hard enough.

ITA (autocorrect wanted iota!) with your last paragraph, Chrissy. Although DH and I love to make fun of him. I don't know that I have ever listened to any of his songs, though.

Myles, I'm sorry for what your dad is going through. When I worked with the elderly during my internships I found it hard to handle watching people lose basic life skills. I remember a woman who had worked as a secretary for most of her life. She lost her ability to speak through a neurological condition and on top of that, she could no longer recognize a keyboard so she couldn't even type what she wanted to say. You could see it was in there, though, with no way out. Kind of nightmarish when you think about it. I'll take the crack babies like I saw this morning - at least they don't know what they're missing.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I think Justin B is a cutie pie but I know I have never heard a song of his. I saw him one night on Chelsea Lately way back when he first started making hits and I thought he was very charasmatic and witty.

Myles, I'm sorry about your dad. Watching our parents become old people is so hard.

It looks like the trip to the cave is cancelled. I'm so disappointed and also very glad I didn't mention it to the kids. Dbf is being a complete jackass and mil is too scared to go and have Sawyer cry in the car too much. If dbf would go (without complaint) then it wouldn't matter a bit because I could sit in back with Sawyer and keep him happy. I feel like mil and I could swing it but I can tell she feels scared about doing it and I'm not going to push it. Blah. I'm sort of annoyed that I take all 3 kids out with me all the time without stress but the people around me now act like my kids are ticking time bombs.
    Anyway, I am planning to just take them next weekend by myself. My dad only lives about 10 miles from the place so he'll come with.

Tonight there was a board meeting for the charter school we are trying to get into and on the fb page it said open to the public so I sent an email asking if it would be too disruptive for me to bring my nursing one year old with me. The response was, "Children first, always. I was in your shoes a long time ago. Bring the baby." I was so happy to get that response. So I went and I was the only one not on the board. When I first walked in and saw that no one was there but the people around the table I almost walked out but then a gentleman got up and gave me a chair so I sat. I'm so shy but I sucked it up because I need more info about this school! Everyone gave me friendly smiles but no one directly spoke to me unless it was to tell me how cute Sawyer was. They had a man there creating the web page and when he was leaving they asked him if he'd like a tour and I was like, "I'd like a tour!" So I went along and it's SO COOL. Still totally under construction but each teacher has a classroom and a project room. There is a mud room where they take off all of their dirty gear after being out studying in the field. It is also where they will keep any small animals that they are caring for. During the meeting I heard talk about building a shed for the canoes, collecting bicycles, helmets, gardening tools, building a greenhouse and get this...one of the guys on the board is a beekeeper and he wants to do a beekeeping unit. I feel like it's too good to be true! Like this school was made for my kids lol.
    As I got up to leave one of the women was like, "Wait! Who are you?" So I told them and they gave me a chance to ask some more questions. I'm so glad I went. I hope they get in!
    Of course dbf's only question when I got home was how many miles away it is. He's so concerned about the 20 minute drive, gas money and whatever. I let him know that I was quite sure parent went through much more difficult hoops to get their children the best education than a 20 minute drive to the next town over.
    Last edited by Bridget; 04-19-2012 at 09:47 PM.

Also wanted to add that my brother's most recent boyfriend was much much younger than him and we used to refer to him as "The Biebs"

That's awesome about the school, Bridget!

I wasn't going to post in here because it isn't my news to share, but I can't help it now. My sister just shared with me that my niece got a letter from the National Merit Scholarship organization. She might be in line for recognition of some sort. That's all I know. Secular vibes for her, please?

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Scuba! Or SCUBJIA! ITAAAHTMAWTRTA! (I'm Terrible At Acronyms And Have Too Many At Work To Remember Them Anyway)

Bridget, may you have more wine and patience because I can't believe you haven't run out already. My best wishes to your dad. I personally have had an MRI for headaches. I think it is not unusual to have MRIs, especially with recurrent or new onset, just to rule out anything unusual. That is just being careful, or CYA as we call it in the medical business (covering your ascronym). I hope the melanoma is small and easily removable. You should see if he is a candidate for the vaccine.

Myles, my deepest sympathy to your workload and to your concerns about your dad, too.

For everyone who wants a drink, I think you might as well have one. We have liquor and wine in our grocery stores. I'm not sure what the hours are, but I remember being really angry one time when I did a massive grocery shopping trip at 4:30 am (because all the kids were asleep and dh was home) and I could not buy wine and I needed it for two recipes. !@#%! But they do sell it on Sundays. I think it's probably 2 AM until 7 AM or something. When I lived in Wyoming, they didn't sell it in grocery stores, but they did sell it in liquor stores and in drive-throughs. You could get in your car, drive up to a liquors store, place your order at the window just like at a fast-food restaurant, and they'd bring it to you--a 12-pack, a case, a keg, hard liquor, whatever. It was handy for parties, and for freezing cold weather, and certainly would have been handy with kids in car seats. It sounds really weird to me now, but it was normal there.

And like many of you, I have been feeling like I want a drink in the evenings too. The screeching reaches a fever pitch, and then the kids start yelling too (okay, I'm just kidding about that part). Still, I've had laryngitis the past few days and I cannot believe how many times I've had to raise my voice: "Children, Daddy said to stop climbing on him! Did you hear him?"

Chrissy, I am so sorry about your cat. I hope that she ends her life comfortable and happy, whenever that may be, and that it is not too unbearable for you. It is so hard to lose a beloved pet.

Good luck to everyone on their diet plans.

Suja, your mole is most likely harmless, but it's better to get it checked out. I have had 3 moles removed in the past few years that have grown and changed shape, and all of them turned out to be nothing serious, but it's better not to ignore them. I hope it's not too sting-y. And btw, S. likes to talk about seahorses, too (in response to Mira finding seahorses in her bellybutton).

My Dad apparently went for a jog while he was here and then took a nap alongside the trail in some poison oak. He now has a rash all over his face and neck. DD sent him a drawing of Grandpa, with his face all red and rashy, and then took it upon herself to try to write "NUVR NUVR NUVR TUTH POISON OAC" ("never never never touch poison oak") She asked me how to spell poison, but did the rest of it herself. I feel sorry for my dad, but I am also astonished at the fact that he took a nap in poison oak. His undergrad was in botany. The last time we walked that trail as a family, we pointed out the huge clumps of poison oak that surrounded the trail and said how unwise it was to leave the trail in that area. DH is astonished at his ineptitude and amazed that I made it to adulthood without major trauma.

L, i hate to say this but in light of how uncharacteristic that is and your Dad's other issues you have mentioned, are you sure he is okay?

And sorry - I meant to say earlier, Chrissy, I'm sorry about your kitty. I was APAing while my sister ranted on the phone. Never a good idea.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Oh, I forgot to mention. DS (Ro) is having surgery on Monday. It's a hydrocele repair, kind of like a hernia. I'm okay if I don't think too much about it. If I think about it too much, I get kind of weepy, because I know what kinds of things can go wrong during surgery and then I start thinking about brain injury and stuff. But it's a pretty easy surgery for the most part. I have a new lego kit in the closet for him, because he's really been enjoying building things. I'm taking the whole week off. DH is taking Monday and Tuesday off, and my mom is going to be here as well to be back-up. DS has to take it easy and not race around too much, so he can't go to school next week and we'll have to make sure he stays somewhat sedentary and rests, which means trying to do a lot of 1:1 kid time.

He never had a hernia or any sign of this when he was little. It showed up some time after his 4 y/o check-up and we monitored it for more than six months before deciding to do the surgery. It is not something that gets better on its own.

I'm planning fun things the next 3 days, just in case.

Lydia, your dad is a trip. I mean, aside from the fact that he is a botanist and slept in poison oak, I've never heard of someone just stopping during a jog and taking a nap right where they are!

And I wasn't sure if I wanted to say this outloud or not but I never try to stop myself from having a drink in the evening. I look forward to it. I think it must be really good for me to sit and relax while I have a drink because it sure does feel good. I only have 2 though. The nursing thing and also really don't want to feel yucky the next day. It's hard to believe the insane amount of alcohol I used to consume and now I'm lucky to stay awake long enough to finish. Tonight I am having a Turbodog from a brewing company out of LA Abita. It's good.

We'll be thinking of him.

Oh jeez, Lydia. I'll keep you guys and Ro in my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    L, i hate to say this but in light of how uncharacteristic that is and your Dad's other issues you have mentioned, are you sure he is okay?
    My sister was just trying to convince me tonight how much more social and better-behaved our dad is than he was when we were growing up, actually. DH was annoyed at him for not greeting us when he came over, after not seeing us for several months. He just came in without saying hi when DH opened the door, and walked over to the kids. By uncharacteristic, if you mean out of character for MY DAD to do something reckless and hazardous without thinking of the consequences, no, it's not really out of character for him at all.

He has always been odd and eccentric. He has enough money and enough power and enough status in his town to be able to do what he wants, ignore what he wants (ie let mice overrun his house and let it fall into disrepair), and replace whatever he neglects or destroys.
    Last edited by 3andMe; 04-19-2012 at 11:40 PM.

Really, by uncharacteristic, I meant not recognizing the poison oak when you know he would have before. Sorry, I should have been more clear. I tend to go for fewer words when I'm on the iPad. I remember your stories about your dad. But I wondered if anything was more extreme than it used to be.

Oh, well, it is winter/spring and the poison oak doesn't have leaves right now. So it isn't very recognizable. It's all over the place where he went jogging. I would never go off-trail there, let alone lie down. I have told him before, and pointed out on our walks (back when it was leafy), that it was all over, and that he should not leave the path and should particularly not lead the children off the path. But when the bushes are bare, it's much easier to forget about it. I have no idea why he took a nap in mid-jog. He did go jogging four times in the two days he was here, so it's not like he was particularly lethargic. He is used to being able to fall asleep immediately. Or maybe he was meditating and didn't want to admit it to me. Or maybe he was meditating and fell asleep while doing so.

He also told me that he has never been susceptible to poison oak in the past, so he didn't think he was particularly at risk.

Ah. Well, that makes a lot of sense. Seasons - what are those? I never thought of bare bushes!

L, your feelings about Ro's upcoming surgery match exactly how I'd feel in your shoes. I hope it all goes well, and let me know if I can help one evening or weekend. Maybe Bodhi can distract the other two. DH has a standing East Bay playdate with another dad on Tuesday afternoons, so I'll ck in with you and maybe tag along after work if you need us to help in any way.

I think it's neat that you have a dad that meditates.

The weather is supposed to be spectacular the next few days. I hope that means my foggy little town too.

I wish I knew how to have a casual drink. I'm such a lightweight (and get all hot and red and short of breath) so if I do have one, I'm commuting to all those symptoms, plus getting tipsy after just a few sips. Pity. I like the ritual of wine.

Committing, not commuting. Fargin' autocorrect!

Me, too. Half a glass of wine and I'm already tipsy. There's not a whole lot of point in drinking to relax.

I assumed you we're (thanks, autocorrect) being poetic!

BTW (since I like to post in threes), thank you to those who shared sympathy about my dad. It's a slow and painful process for sure, but we've yet to find a Parkinsons medication that works, the good news being that there are more to try. I am hopeful one will help him see a big improvement. I just wish it weren't so disappointing and depressing to him when a med doesn't work. He's been snapping a lot at my mom. I don't know how she deals, or why they keep traveling in the middle of him still trying to get better. Anyway, I think it's just a matter of time before they live with me. I have big reservations about that.

I mainly wanted to share these puns I got from a friend tonight. They made me smile, and #11 made me think of all of you.

Hope they make you groan...

1. The fattest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference. He acquired his size from too much pi.

2. I thought I saw an eye doctor on an Alaskan island, but it turned out to be an optical Aleutian .

3. She was only a whiskey maker, but he loved her still.

4. A rubber band pistol was confiscated from algebra class, because it was a weapon of math disruption.

5. No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.

6. A dog gave birth to puppies near the road and was cited for littering.

7. A grenade thrown into a kitchen in France would result in Linoleum Blownapart.

8. Two silk worms had a race. They ended up in a tie.

9. A hole has been found in the nudist camp wall. The police are looking into it.

10. Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

11. Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

12. Two hats were hanging on a hat rack in the hallway. One hat said to the
    other: "You stay here; I'll go on a head."

13. I wondered why the baseball kept getting bigger. Then it hit me.

14. A sign on the lawn at a drug rehab center said: "Keep off the Grass."

15. The midget fortune-teller who escaped from prison was a small medium at large.

16. The soldier who survived mustard gas and pepper spray is now a seasoned veteran.
    Last edited by demigraf; 04-20-2012 at 01:02 AM.

L, I'll keep little R in my thoughts. I'm sure everything will be fine. (hugs)

I'm a lightweight drinker, too. Especially with wine. I do all right if I'm drinking cider, though, since the alcohol level is a lot lower.

We're leaving to go do the port today for our cruise. We don't actually get on board til Sunday, but we're driving down today to start our vacation. I'm so excited. And glad to be going in a happy mood as we found out Travis got in to our preferred school for him! I'll probably check in from my phone tomorrow and Sunday, but you won't hear from me after that since they charge for internet use on the ship, so, 'bon voyage, my friends!'

Have a fabulous trip!

Have a great time Ash!!

Coincidentally my old boss invited me to go on a cruise with her at the last minute because her sister backed out and I am up early waiting on her to get here. It is only for the weekend but I am excited! I've never been on a cruise before (have issues with thinking they are germ festivals). We are going to the Bahamas and I am hoping that it will prove me wrong it terms of being a floating cess pool of germs.

See you all on Tuesday.

Erin

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    Oh, well, it is winter/spring and the poison oak doesn't have leaves right now. So it isn't very recognizable. It's all over the place where he went jogging. I would never go off-trail there, let alone lie down. I have told him before, and pointed out on our walks (back when it was leafy), that it was all over, and that he should not leave the path and should particularly not lead the children off the path. But when the bushes are bare, it's much easier to forget about it. I have no idea why he took a nap in mid-jog. He did go jogging four times in the two days he was here, so it's not like he was particularly lethargic. He is used to being able to fall asleep immediately. Or maybe he was meditating and didn't want to admit it to me. Or maybe he was meditating and fell asleep while doing so.

He also told me that he has never been susceptible to poison oak in the past, so he didn't think he was particularly at risk.
    Ok, I think my head is in the gutter. I totally read meditate as medicate and was like, WTF kind of medication is he taking while jogging? Then, I thought, hmmm maybe she means medicating by smoking weed in the woods. LOL. I need more sleep!

Most of my family is very like minded, but my dad is a hard core right wing republican who is way too mouthy about it. He makes comments about minorities/immigrants/etc that make my blood boil. I cannot spend much time with him or else I can't keep my mouth shut any longer and it gets ugly.

Suja, I hope your mole is nothing. I had one that came up suddenly that I was worried about, then all of a sudden it disappeared.

Chrissy, I hope your kitty bounces back.

I find that lately, when I do pour a drink, I often get so distracted by the kids and everything else going on that I forget to finish it. Or, conversely, I finish the whole bottle

DS finally slept better last night and that combined with a chiropractor visit yesterday made me feel like a new person!
    AKA Lisa724

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Committing, not commuting. Fargin' autocorrect!
    Mules

BTW (since I like to post in threes), thank you to those who shared sympathy about my dad. It's a slow and painful process for sure, but we've yet to find a Parkinsons medication that works, the good news being that there are more to try. I am hopeful one will help him see a big improvement. I just wish it weren't so disappointing and depressing to him when a med doesn't work. He's been snapping a lot at my mom. I don't know how she deals, or why they keep traveling in the middle of him still trying to get better. Anyway, I think it's just a matter of time before they live with me. I have big reservations about that.
    I'm sorry Myles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    Have a great time Ash!!

Coincidentally my old boss invited me to go on a cruise with her at the last minute because her sister backed out and I am up early waiting on her to get here. It is only for the weekend but I am excited! I've never been on a cruise before (have issues with thinking they are germ festivals). We are going to the Bahamas and I am hoping that it will prove me wrong it terms of being a floating cess pool of germs.

See you all on Tuesday.

Erin
    Have fun Ash & you too Erin! How sweet is that?!

I stayed up way too late and Baby S. woke up way too early. Grumble. I was reading an interesting article last night about how children have better memories than people realize, and that between age 2 and 3 they can be laying down memories that carry into adulthood, and they are more likely to have earlier and stronger memories if they have reviews of their past with emotive language. So memories are cultural, in a way, because there are certain cultures with rich traditions of story-telling about past events and the children have consistent early memories starting on average at 2 1/2, earlier in general than other children. My children love spending time sitting on my lap and looking at pictures of themselves on the computer, reviewing photo albums from places we go and things we do, and asking questions about them. In addition to all the other things, I am pleased to think that this might be contributing to their memory storage and retrieval. My earliest memory was very early, and my mother also does a lot of discussion and review about shared past experiences.

Have fun you cruisers!

I was reading a scientific article about atheists this morning while trying to clear my head and drink my coffee. I will post it for you.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...cience+News%29

It discusses how atheists have the lowest social acceptance rates of any group that Americans are asked about (including Muslims, gays, feminists, or recent immigrants), and shows how reminding respondents that secular authority, such as police and government, actually can help people trust atheists more.

Atheists consider their disbelief as a matter of private conscience, while believers think atheists' absence of belief is a public threat to cooperation and honesty.
    "There is evidence that gods and governments can fulfill similar roles," Gervais says. People want the world to be orderly and controlled, but it seems like the authority that keeps people in line can be religious or secular. There's some evidence that when people feel less confident in their government, they're more likely to seek out religion. Norenzayan and Gervais find that in countries where the government is more effective and stronger, atheists are both more common and more trusted.

L, your feelings about Ro's upcoming surgery match exactly how I'd feel in your shoes. I hope it all goes well, and let me know if I can help one evening or weekend. Maybe Bodhi can distract the other two. DH has a standing East Bay playdate with another dad on Tuesday afternoons, so I'll ck in with you and maybe tag along after work if you need us to help in any way.

I think it's neat that you have a dad that meditates.

The weather is supposed to be spectacular the next few days. I hope that means my foggy little town too.

I wish I knew how to have a casual drink. I'm such a lightweight (and get all hot and red and short of breath) so if I do have one, I'm commuting to all those symptoms, plus getting tipsy after just a few sips. Pity. I like the ritual of wine.

I forgot to respond to this part! Sorry. I know, I'm totally excited about the weather this weekend. Saturday is Cal Days and we are meeting one of DH's work comrades and his children there, but there should be cool events and open museums and fossil digging and robot viewing all day.

My Dad went from atheism or agnosticism (I'm not sure which) to Buddhism in his mid-life change. He has prayer flags in the driveway. He does stuff with the Dalai Lama. He co-produced a movie about Tibet. He has shrines in his house and usually some bald guys in robes who don't speak English living there (I can't say for sure if they're monks, so I didn't want to be more specific). They change from time to time and often will clean the house before we visit. Before he was 50, he only took one vacation a decade. Now he will take long weekends to go on meditation retreats. He went from putting all of his spare time and money and energy into stopping poaching in central Africa to putting all of his spare time and money and energy into Buddhism.

Let me know what your time schedule is like on Tuesday. I have both Mom and Justin here on Tuesday to watch both boys, and DD will be in school that day, because I have appointments on and off during the day.

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    I stayed up way too late and Baby S. woke up way too early. Grumble. I was reading an interesting article last night about how children have better memories than people realize, and that between age 2 and 3 they can be laying down memories that carry into adulthood, and they are more likely to have earlier and stronger memories if they have reviews of their past with emotive language. So memories are cultural, in a way, because there are certain cultures with rich traditions of story-telling about past events and the children have consistent early memories starting on average at 2 1/2, earlier in general than other children. My children love spending time sitting on my lap and looking at pictures of themselves on the computer, reviewing photo albums from places we go and things we do, and asking questions about them. In addition to all the other things, I am pleased to think that this might be contributing to their memory storage and retrieval. My earliest memory was very early, and my mother also does a lot of discussion and review about shared past experiences.

Have fun you cruisers!

I was reading a scientific article about atheists this morning while trying to clear my head and drink my coffee. I will post it for you.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/04/120418162304.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium= email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sciencedaily+(ScienceDa ily%3A+Latest+Science+News)

It discusses how atheists have the lowest social acceptance rates of any group that Americans are asked about (including Muslims, gays, feminists, or recent immigrants), and shows how reminding respondents that secular authority, such as police and government, actually can help people trust atheists more.
    Interesting about Atheists....

and about young childhood memories. I can distinctly remember certain things from when I was 2 and I always wonder if people believe me.