Page 1035 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 35535935985102510331034103510361037104510851135 ... LastLast
Results 31,021 to 31,050 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

  1. #31021
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    We can't buy alcohol on Sundays here either Erin. I never really thought about it though...it is a strange law, especially for a blue state.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  2. #31022
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    20,793

    Default

    It so sad when animals get old. Especially if they've been with you their whole lives. That's how it was with our Husky. Granted, there was a big chunk of time (his last years) he lived with my grandparents. He was very dear to my heart. The big lug. So anyways, I hope your kitty just has a cold and the vet things he'll go on to live some more years. Our current kitty is somewhere around... ah 15? I think? But he's still going strong. And he was/is dbf's so I haven't had him the whole time. Either way, when his time comes I'll cry. He has been THE BEST kitty ever.

    **Lizzo**

  3. #31023

    Default

    So sorry Chrissy

    The liquor stores here close early on Sunday, I think 5 or 6 o'clock. I try to remember to buy on Saturday because by the time I think of it on Sunday they're already closed.
    I bought some sangria last night since my attempt to make it failed. I don't love the store bought one, either, but it's not terrible.

  4. #31024
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,672

    Default

    I think the ONLY time I can't buy alcohol is from like 9 or 10pm until maybe 6am? Probably will buy some tonight as I need to pick up balloons for a coworkers 60th tomorrow and some milk...might as well get a bottle of wine long as I'm there!

    I signed up for a diet class at work. 10 weeks long. Based off the diet book that the medical system I work for (well I work for a branch of it) put out. Starts next week. Bye Bye drinks for me. I have the book in our library and it's a pretty sound diet. I have never tried an actual class before. A couple other ladies on my floor are doing it too so it will be nice to know some people there. I really would like to lose 40-50 lbs.

    So my DH is sick and called in last night for the first time ever at the job (been there over 5 years). I took him to the dr yesterday morning. His ear is swollen shut. Entire ear is numb and hurts on the whole side of his face. No fever so that is very good. They had to put a sponge wick in the ear so at least some of the drops could get in there and he's on an antibiotic and advil for pain.

    Bridget, I think that if your dad gets checked out on a regular basis, the skin spots will be ok. Finding it early and removing it early are important and it sounds like he has done just that. And headaches are usually not a sign of anything more serious.

    And yeah for Cave of the Mounds. M is missing out if he decides to not go. Have you gone before? I LOVE a cave tour. Been through that one probably 4 or 5 times. We have one about an hour from me called Crystal Cave...a little more rustic than Cave of the Mounds. I like Cave of the Mounds better I think. You should bring a picnic lunch too if you hadn't already thought of that!

    Oh Chrissy I'm so sorry about the kitty. She's definitely not just a cat. I dread that time with Cosmo...she's 8.5 and I'm hoping to get 15 from her.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  5. #31025

    Default

    Chrissy, I'm so sad for you and your kitty. 16 years is a long time for you to give each other companionship.

    Bridget, I'm sorry about the bad news about your dad. I think it's still time to hope for the best, and just be there for him as I'm sure you already are.

    I have been glum about my own dad ever since the news came out yesterday that **** Clark passed away. I don't know much about **** C., but I remember seeing him in recent years on TV for the NY Eve shows. Many things about his blank look and slurred speech post-stroke remind me so much of my dad, even though he has a different disorder. It just made me imagine what it would feel like to lose my dad, and it also made
    my heart hurt for him again, thinking how hard and frustrating daily activities have become for him. It's hard to watch your loved ones take a downturn. And you can only hope for them and yourself that one can leave this earth feeling good about the person you were. So anyway, it's natural to be so worried about your papa, Bridget. I hope for te best for him.

    My FIL is a real piece of work too - he's a combination of Red on That 70s Show and Archie Bunker. He's very hardheaded and bigoted. He once commented that Bodhi's name wasn't "American". And not sure he wasn't saying that to imply it's a bad thing. I'm sure he had a heart attack when the American people elected Barack Hussein Obama as their president. I would love to take him out of the country and show him how people live all sorts of functional happy lives that don't look the least bit like the way he thinks you have to live.
    Last edited by demigraf; 04-19-2012 at 10:39 AM.

  6. #31026

    Default

    LOL that APA bleeps out **** Clark's first name!

  7. #31027

    Default

    Good luck with the diet class Jennifer!
    I was sad to hear Mr. Clark died (I hate to see his name censored ) It was hard to watch him the last couple years though. It seemed like talking was such a struggle for him. But he must have been so brave to continue to be on tv after his stroke.

    Your stories about narrow minded family members reminds me how lucky I am to have the type of family I have. The most controversial thing my family does is get too drunk and swear a lot.

  8. #31028
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,887

    Default

    Bridget. It does sound like he is vigilant, and they caught it early. Hopefully, the MRI will show that he has a nice, well functioning brain, and not much more.

    Chrissy, watching pets get old sucks. I'm there with my dogs. You just have to be strong enough to ease their pain when the time comes. Nothing else to do, unfortunately.

  9. #31029
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,672

    Default

    Yeah I'm another in the camp of lucky to have the family I have. My side is small and liberal. The big extended family beyond my parents, sister, aunt, uncles....I don't know. My sister is gay, my aunt is gay, my one uncle was gay. Pretty much all are democrats and nobody is really all that religious if at all.
    My DH's family is also pretty small. More religious but in a normal way and not judgemental way. Most of his also are democrats and at least a little liberal. Nobody is really conservative that I can think of. I think that maybe a few might have some racial issues...we took that into consideration when deciding on race for the adoption....and we really think that some family would not be as accepting.

    But for the most part, our families are pretty easy to get along with.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  10. #31030

    Default

    DH is jealous of my family...DH's dad hasn't spoken to his side of the family in decades and my MIL's side is always fighting, shutting each other out. It's sad really. DH is loyal to a fault. DH's parents don't even come to the door when we go over. We have to let ourselves in and walk around the house looking for his parents. It's just bizarre to me and I wouldn't deal with that if it were my family, but they love Josh and Josh loves them. I just wish they'd treat us with more respect.

  11. #31031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Good luck with the diet class Jennifer!
    I was sad to hear Mr. Clark died (I hate to see his name censored ) It was hard to watch him the last couple years though. It seemed like talking was such a struggle for him. But he must have been so brave to continue to be on tv after his stroke.

    Your stories about narrow minded family members reminds me how lucky I am to have the type of family I have. The most controversial thing my family does is get too drunk and swear a lot.
    Sounds like our families would have fun together.
    The thing about mil is that politically and religiously in theory, we are on the same page. She is atheist but she thinks people who believe in religion are stupid. She once told my mom that and my mom, a church going woman, was very hurt by that. She is also a huge Obama supporter but thinks Americans are stupid because Bush was in office at all. Basically she's uppity and she thinks she's better than other people. Fat people disgust her. Dirty people disgust her. (I am sure she wants to comb my hair and tuck my shirt in lol) She thinks of herself as very refined and sophisticated but she doesn't have the common sense or the couth to know not to come into someone's house and tell them their shades are ugly. Cuckoo. The only thing that really disgusts me is people who think they are better than other people. Or as my mama used to say, "They think their sh!t don't stink".
    Last edited by Bridget; 04-19-2012 at 12:05 PM.

  12. #31032

    Default

    I know what you mean Bridget!
    My dad's sister is actually pretty proper, which is funny. My stepmom's family is loud and funny and my mom's family is the same (too bad my mom and stepmom don't exactly get along, ha ha)

  13. #31033
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I think the ONLY time I can't buy alcohol is from like 9 or 10pm until maybe 6am? Probably will buy some tonight as I need to pick up balloons for a coworkers 60th tomorrow and some milk...might as well get a bottle of wine long as I'm there!

    I signed up for a diet class at work. 10 weeks long. Based off the diet book that the medical system I work for (well I work for a branch of it) put out. Starts next week. Bye Bye drinks for me. I have the book in our library and it's a pretty sound diet. I have never tried an actual class before. A couple other ladies on my floor are doing it too so it will be nice to know some people there. I really would like to lose 40-50 lbs.

    So my DH is sick and called in last night for the first time ever at the job (been there over 5 years). I took him to the dr yesterday morning. His ear is swollen shut. Entire ear is numb and hurts on the whole side of his face. No fever so that is very good. They had to put a sponge wick in the ear so at least some of the drops could get in there and he's on an antibiotic and advil for pain.

    Bridget, I think that if your dad gets checked out on a regular basis, the skin spots will be ok. Finding it early and removing it early are important and it sounds like he has done just that. And headaches are usually not a sign of anything more serious.

    And yeah for Cave of the Mounds. M is missing out if he decides to not go. Have you gone before? I LOVE a cave tour. Been through that one probably 4 or 5 times. We have one about an hour from me called Crystal Cave...a little more rustic than Cave of the Mounds. I like Cave of the Mounds better I think. You should bring a picnic lunch too if you hadn't already thought of that!

    Oh Chrissy I'm so sorry about the kitty. She's definitely not just a cat. I dread that time with Cosmo...she's 8.5 and I'm hoping to get 15 from her.
    Vodka is light in calories and doesn't taste bad in those flavored 5 calorie waters. Just sayin But really, good luck.

    Oiy-I was gonna say your dh must have been really sick to call in if he's never done it. That sounds awfully painful.

    And thanks. Callie is definitely more than just a cat to us.

    Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    LOL that APA bleeps out **** Clark's first name!
    I know-that's my fil's name too and I can't type it out! Imagine, a pregnancy board where you can't say d-i-c-k!

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  14. #31034
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,672

    Default

    I got very lucky to have married into a family that is more like my own. Well except the gay part since half mine is gay and that wouldn't as accepted by some of DH's relatives. Really the only one of his I care about is his mom anyway and she's cool.
    But our families are blue collar. My dad, his dad, my other grandpa...all factory workers. DH's family, a lot of men factory workers. Both sides seem to mostly be pro-union. DH was first to graduate college in his family, I was first in mine. Both grew up in nice cute homes....but SMALL. Talking 900 sq feet for mine and about 1000 sq feet for his...and both in working class neighborhoods.
    Biggest difference...his family likes things like fishing and sports. My dad likes music and technology. My dad will watch if say the Packers are in the super bowl but doesn't really get it. And we took dad to a Brewer game and he thought it was kind of boring. LOL A Lady Gaga concert or My Chemical Romance concert is more his thing.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  15. #31035
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,672

    Default

    Funny part was when nurse asked DH what his pain was, he was like most of the time a 3. I was like WTH?! The way he looked and have been acting, I thought he was going to say like 8 or 9.

    Yeah I like vodka. Tastes good in crystal light or diet 7up. Unfortunately I have no self-control so even lighter in calories, if you drink the whole bottle in a week, probably not good. Got myself into a very bad habit of having 2 drinks (once in a while 3) after DH leaves for work. Watch some TV, have my drinks and off to bed I got. Like right now I can easily say, Oh I won't have any tonight. But than tonight comes and bam there's my drink. Think that I need to keep it out of the house for a little while. No self-control at all.
    Dh thing isn't alcohol but his is cashews.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  16. #31036

    Default

    I'm that way too Jennifer, I think I won't need it and then at the end of the day I'm like yup, I need some. The end of the day is the most stressful for me, getting Josh off to bed with no meltdown, dealing with DH joining the mix, getting his dinner ready, and whatever else happens.

    Josh and I just came back from the playground at his school and saw an enormous amount of black smoke coming from a building. I couldn't get close enough to see where it was (nor did I want to) but it seemed like every fire truck in town was there. People were walking down, taking pictures, but I was more concerned for our safety. What if the fire caused an explosion or something? I'll just get the info from the local news later.

  17. #31037
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Avoiding Work
    Posts
    14,719

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I think the ONLY time I can't buy alcohol is from like 9 or 10pm until maybe 6am? Probably will buy some tonight as I need to pick up balloons for a coworkers 60th tomorrow and some milk...might as well get a bottle of wine long as I'm there!

    I signed up for a diet class at work. 10 weeks long. Based off the diet book that the medical system I work for (well I work for a branch of it) put out. Starts next week. Bye Bye drinks for me. I have the book in our library and it's a pretty sound diet. I have never tried an actual class before. A couple other ladies on my floor are doing it too so it will be nice to know some people there. I really would like to lose 40-50 lbs.
    Were doing a work sponsored Weight Watchers thing right now I started on Monday! It's kind of nice it worked out that way since I had already planned on joining a gym for the summer. I would like to loose 40, but would love to loose more like 60!! I am almost the biggest I have ever been (210) It stinks because it's not because I eat too much, it's because I don't eat enough... I'll go all day witha coffee and some water, than eat a decent dinner. So this WW thing is making me eat bkfst, lunch, and dinner equally. Still working on snacks though, eating has always felt like such a waste of time to me

    Oh and only one more week of classes I can officially start catching up with you ladies again!! Finals this upcoming week so wish me luck

    Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog


  18. #31038
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Avoiding Work
    Posts
    14,719

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Josh and I just came back from the playground at his school and saw an enormous amount of black smoke coming from a building. I couldn't get close enough to see where it was (nor did I want to) but it seemed like every fire truck in town was there. People were walking down, taking pictures, but I was more concerned for our safety. What if the fire caused an explosion or something? I'll just get the info from the local news later.
    People tend to flock to disasters/accidents, I never understood that

    I hope no one got hurt!!

    Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog


  19. #31039
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,672

    Default

    Christina....nice new ticker! Is that when you will be closer to being done with school?

    Umm, your current is like almost my lowest known since I have been fully grown. I would be THRILLED to be 210. Would put me back in my 18/20 clothes!

    I have the opposite problem. I like to eat. DH likes to eat. And often it's healthy. Like last might I made homemade mac and cheese...ok so that isn't the best but I do use mostly skim milk! But I also serve with a huge bunch of broccoli....fill up my 4 cup dish before I steam it. and split it. We both love broccoli so have usually 2x a week. I have a baggie of raw baby carrots in my lunch almost every day and most days eat an apple.
    Course we both also love cheese....I mean we are from WI the dairy state!

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  20. #31040
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,887

    Default

    Christina, you can really torch your metabolism by undereating and pack on the pounds easily because of that. Good luck with your weight loss group and your finals.

    I've been watching this mole thing on my thigh, and it's growing, puckering, and I'm paranoid, so have an appointment with a dermatologist on Monday. It's nothing, I'm sure, but better to be safe, I guess.

  21. #31041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    People tend to flock to disasters/accidents, I never understood that

    I hope no one got hurt!!
    I think it's because people like to say "I was there!" or to share details. It makes them feel important.

  22. #31042
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Avoiding Work
    Posts
    14,719

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Christina....nice new ticker! Is that when you will be closer to being done with school?

    Umm, your current is like almost my lowest known since I have been fully grown. I would be THRILLED to be 210. Would put me back in my 18/20 clothes!

    I have the opposite problem. I like to eat. DH likes to eat. And often it's healthy. Like last might I made homemade mac and cheese...ok so that isn't the best but I do use mostly skim milk! But I also serve with a huge bunch of broccoli....fill up my 4 cup dish before I steam it. and split it. We both love broccoli so have usually 2x a week. I have a baggie of raw baby carrots in my lunch almost every day and most days eat an apple.
    Course we both also love cheese....I mean we are from WI the dairy state!
    I'll still be in school, but the plan is for me to quit working. That way I can just focus on school and the babies We've been discussing it for a couple months, but the budget is set I'll have about a semester left of my BA (maybe a year since they are talking about changing some requirements) and than I'll start working on my Masters (at least part time) instead of holding off on it like originally planned.

    Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Christina, you can really torch your metabolism by undereating and pack on the pounds easily because of that. Good luck with your weight loss group and your finals.
    I know. My nutritionist friend has been yelling at me for... I don't know... forever She keeps teling me I am in permanent starvation mode which is why I never feel hungry

    I have a love/hate relationship with food and I'm working on it!!

    Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    I think it's because people like to say "I was there!" or to share details. It makes them feel important.
    Your probably right, doesn't make it make anymore sense to me though I think they are all

    Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog


  23. #31043

    Default

    Suja, I hope all is okay. I need tp get on too. I have lots of moles.

  24. #31044

    Default

    Suja, I hope everything is okay!

  25. #31045
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    Oh and only one more week of classes I can officially start catching up with you ladies again!! Finals this upcoming week so wish me luck
    And good luck!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    I've been watching this mole thing on my thigh, and it's growing, puckering, and I'm paranoid, so have an appointment with a dermatologist on Monday. It's nothing, I'm sure, but better to be safe, I guess.
    Yes, better to be safe. kup

    Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    I think it's because people like to say "I was there!" or to share details. It makes them feel important.
    I think every house in our neighborhood (and 1 business) has caught fire in my lifetime (except mine, of course) and we would stand outside and watch in utter horror. It wasn't about feeling important at all. I remember distinctly crying when my neighbor's house was burning. It's awful to watch, but at the same time I found it impossible not to.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  26. #31046

    Default

    I understand Chrissy. I just get the feeling that most people who walk across the neighborhood to go check it out are there for a morbid curiosity. Maybe I'm just cynical though!
    I just read on a local news website that the fire was at an abandoned lumber yard. No injuries, but there were grass fires up to half a mile away because of flying embers.

  27. #31047
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    It's dry here too. We're under a 'no burn' order through May. I don't remember ever having that here...maybe a couple weeks in late summer when I was younger. It's really strange.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  28. #31048

    Default

    Suja, good luck with the dermatologist. I truly hope it's
    nothing, and yet I still hope the doc pays more attention to you than mine did when I went in to have a mole looked at that turned out to be nothing. This flawless-skinned, dewy, perfectly-coifed doctor literally took one look at it with her magnifying glass worn on a chain around her neck and said "It's nothing", then ushered me out of her exam room. I seriously spent more time writing a $100+ co-pay check out to her receptionist than she spent with me. Apparently, pregnancy and nursing can give us a lot of moles that eventually go away, even irregular shaped ones that change from brown to black with the tides. I hope it's just something like that.

  29. #31049

    Default

    Wow. It rained here last Thursday, but it's been pretty dry here too.

    Myles that sucks. I hate it when doctors don't at least act a little concerned when we're worried. But I'm glad it was nothing.

  30. #31050
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    How does she know it was nothing? I thought they had to test them?

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •