Page 1033 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 33 533 933 983 102310311032103310341035 1043 1083 1133 ... LastLast
Results 30,961 to 30,990 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Oye Bridget, you are a saint, I definitely would have had to say something by now. Or I would have been chugging an entire bottle of wine!

I am thisclose to losing it. DS has not slept more than an hour straight in weeks. I'm getting about 4 hours of broken sleep a night and I have to get up at 5am for work. I'm frickin exhausted. I'm at a loss about what to try (besides CIO or "sleep training"). This is the baby that STTN at like 4 weeks old.
    AKA Lisa724

So I feel a *bit* like an ass today. Maybe I should even post this in ranting/venting or something, but I only like venting to you ladies, lol. Anyways, I found a van I liked (Honda Odyssey-which is what I've known I've wanted for a while now) and ended up buying it at a dealership last night. Dbf test drove it and said it was perfect. Paid cash. I drove it home, and love it. Runs super smooth and seems to be a billion times better than what we have currently. Only downside that I saw was high miles, but so does our current Honda that still runs great and is nearly 20 years old. But then I get home and read a couple reviews and it says that year it notorious for tranny issues. So I feel like an ass. At least it was a 1 owner, and seems to be really well taken care of. So now the plan is to save up even more $$, sell it in about 6-9 months and upgrade again. I hate buying/selling cars.

**Lizzo**

Bridget, I worry about you. How are things going with the mil? How many days left?

Quote Originally Posted by Inca View Post
    So I feel a *bit* like an ass today. Maybe I should even post this in ranting/venting or something, but I only like venting to you ladies, lol. Anyways, I found a van I liked (Honda Odyssey-which is what I've known I've wanted for a while now) and ended up buying it at a dealership last night. Dbf test drove it and said it was perfect. Paid cash. I drove it home, and love it. Runs super smooth and seems to be a billion times better than what we have currently. Only downside that I saw was high miles, but so does our current Honda that still runs great and is nearly 20 years old. But then I get home and read a couple reviews and it says that year it notorious for tranny issues. So I feel like an ass. At least it was a 1 owner, and seems to be really well taken care of. So now the plan is to save up even more $$, sell it in about 6-9 months and upgrade again. I hate buying/selling cars.
    I wouldn't worry about the high miles honestly. Unless the tranny starts slipping, I wouldn't worry about that either. Perhaps the previous owner had it swapped out already? Check the fluid-it's not hard and you should be able to find directions online. It should be a bright orange (some might even call it red) color. If there's any white or dark oil looking stuff in it, you might want to start asking around about replacing it (although, that could indicate it only needs a tranny filter change). My guess is that yours was either fixed or it's a good one because it wouldn't have gotten to those high miles if it were a lemon.

I think you're having a little anxiety because it's such a final thing to buy a car. Totally normal, especially when you can't afford car problems. I know exactly what that's like, please believe.
    Last edited by missychrissy; 04-18-2012 at 06:10 AM.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I think that is a lot of the problem. General anxiety over a big purchase. I was feeling really good about the van until I got home and googled. Google is the devil. But, everything I've read says that is expensive to fix the tranny on the odyssey. I do hope previous owners fixed it. I read one place there was some recall where you could take it in and get something fixed on it to where it *shouldn't* need to replace the tranny or something like that. I need to dig a bit deeper to find the info. I think I need to get a carfax too, to see if they did indeed fix it. But the one time I got a carfax it had barely any info on it, so I'm a bit wary to spend the 35 now because I wasn't really satisfied with the service last time.

**Lizzo**

Ah, Liz, I hope the van turns out to be OK. We are having car drama at our house, too. I mentioned not long ago that DH got in to a small fender bender in his beloved car (the only car he's ever had in his life that he bought from new when he was 18). He's been going back and forth with his insurance about what to do about it (as the repair work is going to cost more than the car is monetarily worth). Today, he got a call from a demolition company asking when they could tow the car away as the insurance company had taken it upon themselves to arrange its demolition and were going to send DH a check. He nearly had a heart attack. He has to go back to them now to say he doesn't want his car destroyed and to see what they're going to do about having it repaired. I was a little excited thinking that maybe I'd get a VW Beetle finally if he got rid of his car, but I don't want to get a new car from him losing his beloved. That car will be with him til he's 64, I reckon!

Bridget how old is she? I think sometimes older people just totally lose their filter. It seems like turning it back each time is a good idea. Oh do you think that I would put something in I thought was ugly? Oh do you REALLY think I would let my baby go hungry?
    It would make a difference to me if I thought she was really trying to be a b*tch or if she was just one of those who run their mouths without thinking.

Liz, I would think that just because a certain year might be prone to a problem that not ALL in that year are prone to the problem. Like drugs....sometimes a side might be more common but certainly not everyone who takes that drug has that side effect. Just keep on saving because that is good no matter what. And hopefully it won't need to go into the car.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

This is the one I got for anyone wondering... http://www.lujackhonda.com/used/Hond...b9701610a5.htm

**Lizzo**

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    He can't wear his work shirt and buy alcohol? Or he doesn't like to? I don't like to walk into a liquor store and buy anything with my kids with me. I feel judged. I want to be like, "Hey! I'm only going to have 2 glasses, okay!" lol
    IDK, it's one of those "rules" that not everyone follows, but it makes him feel uncomfortable. I think it's kind of funny to walk into a liquor store with Josh. I get a lot of understanding looks. I'm still waiting for him to throw a major fit in one so I can say "And this is why I drink!"

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    I had to tell you guys about this. Mira has been resistant to pooping in the potty. She went to the bathroom to pee, farted, then got upset 'cause she thought she had to poop, and asked for a diaper. I got one, but thought I'd distract her to see if she could poop without freaking out, and said 'Oh look, I see the trunk of an elephant sticking out your belly button'. She lifted up her shirt to look, I put my ear to her belly, made elephant noises, and said 'I hear the elephant!'. She looks at me with a serious look on her face, and says 'Mommy, there are no elephants in my bellybutton'. 'No?'. 'No. That's the monkey in my belly button. OOH! OOH! OOH!' and cracks up. Turns out, there are lots of things in her belly button, including seahorses and Elmo, just no elephants.
    Cute!

Quote Originally Posted by MashedUp View Post
    Oye Bridget, you are a saint, I definitely would have had to say something by now. Or I would have been chugging an entire bottle of wine!

I am thisclose to losing it. DS has not slept more than an hour straight in weeks. I'm getting about 4 hours of broken sleep a night and I have to get up at 5am for work. I'm frickin exhausted. I'm at a loss about what to try (besides CIO or "sleep training"). This is the baby that STTN at like 4 weeks old.
    I don't think "sleep training" is a bad idea. We did it for a long time with Josh.

Quote Originally Posted by Inca View Post
    I'm sorry, but I had to laugh that your car has tranny issues. Seriously though, I'm sorry that happened. I hope it turns out that the car you got is fine. You're right, google is the devil. You'll find a negative opinion on anything there.

We did a fun project at church last week with the kids where we cut pictures of grocery store items out of circulars and glued them to posterboard to make a map of a grocery store. I told Josh about it and he wants to do it too. It's a fun thing to incorporate a talk about healthy shopping, and how grocery stores are arranged.

transvestite issues?

**Lizzo**

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    Ah, Liz, I hope the van turns out to be OK. We are having car drama at our house, too. I mentioned not long ago that DH got in to a small fender bender in his beloved car (the only car he's ever had in his life that he bought from new when he was 18). He's been going back and forth with his insurance about what to do about it (as the repair work is going to cost more than the car is monetarily worth). Today, he got a call from a demolition company asking when they could tow the car away as the insurance company had taken it upon themselves to arrange its demolition and were going to send DH a check. He nearly had a heart attack. He has to go back to them now to say he doesn't want his car destroyed and to see what they're going to do about having it repaired. I was a little excited thinking that maybe I'd get a VW Beetle finally if he got rid of his car, but I don't want to get a new car from him losing his beloved. That car will be with him til he's 64, I reckon!
    If his car is paid off, why don't you guys get a VW anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    I'm sorry, but I had to laugh that your car has tranny issues. Seriously though, I'm sorry that happened. I hope it turns out that the car you got is fine. You're right, google is the devil. You'll find a negative opinion on anything there.

We did a fun project at church last week with the kids where we cut pictures of grocery store items out of circulars and glued them to posterboard to make a map of a grocery store. I told Josh about it and he wants to do it too. It's a fun thing to incorporate a talk about healthy shopping, and how grocery stores are arranged.
    Josh!

And I agree-every single make and model has their 'weak' spot. Google will tell you all about it. You will not find a car that is 100% perfect in each and every component...and I'm talking about the expensive ones. My Suzi is supposed to be susceptible to engine siege, even with regular oil changes. I hope it doesn't happen, but if it does...well, I'll be having my brother find me another motor.

See and here we buy alcohol at the grocery store! Very easy and I would totally buy it with a kid with me.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Our grocery stores only sell beer and wine coolers. No liquor is allowed to be sold in one. Why, I don't know but it's worse in PA. You actually have to drive to what looks like a garage and drive into a bay. A guy will come out and ask what you want, take your money and bring the change and your alcohol to the car, then you drive out the other side. Kinda like a car wash...only, they don't wash your car. They do have liquor stores, but this is what people that just want a case of Busch go through.

I'll probably eventually get my VW but only when I'm back working and both boys are in full-time school; it's just low down on the priority list right now to get a new car when we both have one each paid off. DH hates having car payments along with a mortgage. He doesn't like to borrow money on loans and stuff, so I'll wait a few more years til I get one.

Personally, I never went into a liquor store until maybe 5 years ago? New Years Eve 2006/2007. I've since been in one a few times and I think Syd came with me but none of the other kids have.

I'll probably eventually get my VW but only when I'm back working and both boys are in full-time school; it's just low down on the priority list right now to get a new car when we both have one each paid off. DH hates having car payments along with a mortgage. He doesn't like to borrow money on loans and stuff, so I'll wait a few more years til I get one.
    Makes sense. Sometimes I personally have trouble with waiting for a car I really covet.

They sell every imaginable kind of liquor in grocery stores here. Actually, it's one of the big debates that's always going on in the government here about how grocery stores make liquor too cheap and that's why there's an alcoholism problem in this country.
    Last edited by AmeriBrit; 04-18-2012 at 07:48 AM. Reason: corrected 'to' with 'too'

You can buy liquor in the grocery stores here too. I buy it when my kids are with me all the time, but it's usually with a full cart of groceries, so it's not so obvious.
    AKA Lisa724

I was a little excited thinking that maybe I'd get a VW Beetle finally
    Don't do it. My SIL really, really wanted a Beetle, and got a red one. It was adorable as all get out, but probably spent more time in the shop than at their house. It rode terribly, something was constantly breaking, and they ended up getting rid of it because the maintenance was just not worth the cuteness.

Quote Originally Posted by MashedUp View Post
    You can buy liquor in the grocery stores here too. I buy it when my kids are with me all the time, but it's usually with a full cart of groceries, so it's not so obvious.
    Same here! I never go to the liquor store. Only the liquor store that is attached to the grocery store.

**Lizzo**

You can't even buy beer and wine coolers at the grocery store here Fortunately we live within a mile of about 5 liquor stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Don't do it. My SIL really, really wanted a Beetle, and got a red one. It was adorable as all get out, but probably spent more time in the shop than at their house. It rode terribly, something was constantly breaking, and they ended up getting rid of it because the maintenance was just not worth the cuteness.
    I'm going to pretend that I didn't see that, Suja. LOL. They're supposed to be bringing a new sportier 'manlier' model this year, so I'm waiting to see what that is like....then I might take a cheeky little test drive in one!

OOH have you seen the new ones? I think they look awesome!

**Lizzo**

I want this one!

If I ever do get one, it'll be white like this but as a convertible:
    Last edited by AmeriBrit; 04-18-2012 at 10:00 AM.

dbf had a yellow convertible in the old old beetle! Like... http://www.adsinusa.com/p/3743/3743q49511b.jpg

**Lizzo**

Ash-too cute!! There's a lemon on every lot. I don't care what make/model it is. Life is short-get what you'll love & take care of it.

Too right, Chrissy!

Liz, that car is awesome! DH would love to buy an old one and do it up; he's a motor head like that, but I can't see him ever having the time for that right now.

I'm going to pretend that I didn't see that, Suja. LOL. They're supposed to be bringing a new sportier 'manlier' model this year, so I'm waiting to see what that is like....then I might take a cheeky little test drive in one!
    I have seen them here but we both thought that the new one wasn't as cute as the old ones. My DH likes cute cars....he LOVES his PT Cruiser.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I'm in the camp too of get what you want. I know many people think Dodge/Chrysler suck but I have one of each and really like both of them. OTH, I wouldn't touch a Toyota with a 10 ft pole (I don't think I would get get one as a rental) but know that they have their fans too.

This is what I plan on buying in the next year or so. http://www.dodge.com/hostc/bmo/CUD20.../2DD/colors.do

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Liz I have a Honda Odysseuy (spelled wrong, I know) and I really like it.

I love the VW Bugs! I wanted a VW bus so bad when I was in college. My dad agreed to buy me used car within a certain price range and was even kind enough to come around and look at and test drive a few of them before he said, "How about a convertible?" lol. So that's when I got my pontiac sunbird drop-top. Oh I LOVED that car. Loved it.

Apparently dbf thinks I am being oversensitive and I just need to ignore his mom's comments that feel disprespectful to me. So I was venting to my dad this morning and I asked him if I should go ahead and give him and my brother the go-ahead to tell dbf all the things they don't say to him out of respect for me. We had a good laugh over that because that may change his tune right quick.