Page 1026 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 26526926976101610241025102610271028103610761126 ... LastLast
Results 30,751 to 30,780 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

I sadly have never had much luck with herbs. I did acupuncture and was on herbs from that dude but didn't notice a difference other than my wallet. And I have tried all the ones for infertility....but didn't notice a difference in getting my cycle longer, especially the second half.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    that is exactly how it went with my MIL and DH's stepdad. The good times when he was happy and getting his way could be great.....other times definitely abusive especially emotionally. Kills her now that she didn't leave so much sooner....she didn't realize that he would go so easily and without a fight (she really thought he would be dangerous if she tried to get him to go away). Pretty much every single negative thing about my DH is a direct result of being raised by that awful man. I did know him but he never tried anything but being charming to my face....good thing as I was not afraid of him. I knew I was way smarter and wouldn't put up with him.....and well he had seen my daddy and Dad is a bigger guy and was quite a bit younger. My dad wouldn't let someone get away with hurting one of his girls.
    Your poor DH! I'll bet you're an extremely caring type, and your nurturing nature drew him in after growing up around that kind of ugliness.
    Last edited by demigraf; 04-12-2012 at 05:28 PM.

Liz, I PM'd you the info I referred to earlier. I should clarify that I'm talking about both herbs and supplements. Things like a B-complex vitamin have been super helpful in making me feel calmer and have that sense that I can cope with anything. I noticed herbs and supplements had little to no effect when I was still a smoker and ate a lot more poorly than I do today. When they did start taking effect, it was like a little revelation. Now if I can just give up coffee and diet soda, I'd be done with all the things that make me feel guilty.
    Last edited by demigraf; 04-12-2012 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by raspberry View Post

I want to watch GCB, but my tivo didn't let me add it, it must be in conflict with something else. Maybe this summer I can catch up. Would also like to watch Homeland, since I have heard so much about it. Will have to add it to netflix. We are so bad about netflix lately, we have had a Dexter dvd for 2 months, oops!
    Shelley, can you get ABC on-demand? That's how I was able to watch the whole thing like a marathon. I hope you do get to see it and you like it.

Just now reading this. Liz, I'm sorry for your whole situation. You sound like you have a good plan in place and that's the best thing to do.

Had a rough afternoon today. This is slightly funny - I was trying to explain something to a parent about the anatomy of the throat and tried drawing a diagram. Apparently my co-workers all thought it resembled another piece of anatomy more than what I was going for. Okay, I admit if I'd been on the other end I would have laughed, too - but I'm not in a good place right now and I'm not okay with being laughed at. That really put me in a bad place.

Then we had a meeting with another parent who absolutely refused to put her son in special ed services. I just don't get it - she BROUGHT him to us and requested we test him, signed permission to have special ed testing done, and after it's all over flatly refused to put her son on an IEP. I don't get it - why bring your preschooler in if you don't want the services we are offering? It's completely voluntary. It's not even like a school-age child that the school is having issues with. We don't even see him unless you bring him in. She said his private preschool teacher had some concerns and we suspect she wanted us to test him and prove the teacher wrong. But we didn't follow her plan. What a waste of work and time that could have gone to a child who really needed it.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Mandy. I'm sorry you had a crappy day. I suspect you're right about the mom because for the life of me I cannot think of any other reason she'd bring him in for an evaluation.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Yuck. I'm sorry, Mandy. Some people just want to believe what they want to believe. It's frustrating to see people not accept the help that's offered them, and even worse when they're refusing help for their child.

Sorry to change the subj., but I wanted to share that I'm wearing a pushup bra today. Mainly because all my other ones are in the wash. And with a rather lowcut shirt on, I have felt all day like what in street slang is known as a "hoochie mama". (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_hoochie_mama )Which made me think about all the girls I see out there that dress to play up their hoochiness. No judgment on them, but I don't think I could because I need to be able to fade into the background. Being checked out and appraised by a sleazy man is one of the worst feelings in the world to me...worse than fingernails on a chalkboard. It makes me want to crawl out if my skin. My girlfriend (high school bestie) and I actually used to do this thing called "assume the face" where you tuck in your chin and make yourself look as bulldog-like as possible - maybe even make yourself look a little deranged by ugging your eyes out - if you suspect you're being ogled by an unsavory type. There a lot of unsavory types out there. I remember one time she felt like a guy was tailing her in her car, so she drove all the way to the police station, assuming the face all the while. Just can't help thinking it's no good to assume the face if you're dressed like a hoochie. That is all.
    Last edited by demigraf; 04-12-2012 at 07:46 PM.

Myles, I love that you linked wiki answers with hoochie mama I can remember giving creepy guys the stink eye heh ;) I so need a push-up bra these days. They are sad little deflated boobs. I now understand when my sil used to tease that her son "ate them all up" referring to her boobs after her son weaned at 18 months.

Mandy, that is so frustrating that the mom acted that way, the poor little boy. That must be a really hard part of your job, having to keep your mouth shut.

We had a fun day today at the pool. I got some good baby snuggles from little 5 month old niece She fell asleep on my chest.

Liz, I am so sorry about your situation with your dbf. You've gotten some good advice, I hope something works out for you and your kids. Your kids deserve more than that "guy" is offering.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 5

Myles, you're too funny.

Mandy, how frustrating

Josh went to bed okay, and then we were starting to watch a movie when we heard him crying. I went up to see him and he said, between sobs, "I was just remembering something from when we went to see Joey" (for any newcomers, I am a huge fan of New Kids on the Block, Joey being my favorite, and I took Josh to see him do a few songs at a Christmas event last year)

He said "I remember I had a balloon dog (sniff sniff sob) and it BROKE!!!"

I tried to cheer him up, reminding him of all the fun things that happened that day, but it was no use. Poor kid cried for about 45 minutes.

Oh, poor Josh!

Myles, you crack me up! Call me nuts (or a closet slut ) but it doesn't phase me to be checked out. Well, in most cases. There have been some really freaky, scary looking dudes that made me give them the glare.

awww poor sweet Josh and his sensitive little heart I love him.

Lol Myles! My friends and I were watching The Ricki Lake Show one day in, oh, 1995 and there were two women on there fighting. Ricki Lake stopped them and said, "Okay, Okay what the audience really once to know is....which one of you is really the hootchie mama?" We. Died. And still to this day when one of us is telling a sordid story, another will chime in and say, "Ahhh, so it's you. You are the hootchie mama."
    Also, when we lived in Hawaii and you were out at the clubs there were seriously about 10 guys to every girl, what with the military ships coming in and the base being there, plus the tourists...my girlfriend and I would be out having a smoke break from waitressing and if some guys even started walking towards us we could stop them in their tracks with the double dirty look. Do you remember that snl skit with Chris Farley where him and Adam Sandler are Gap girls and they eating in the food court and Chris Farley says, "BACK OFF MY FRIES". That's what we'd imagine saying with our eyes, "BACK OFF MY SPACE" just like he said it. Ah, the good ol days. I don't think I get checked out very often anymore. Someone screamed MILF! at me out a pick up truck one day when I was walking with the kids and I gave a fist pump.

Mandy, that must be very frustrating when parents refuse services. Does it happen very often? I would hope after some time she may come around. The judgy part of me wants to think she is selfish for letting her own need to be right get in the way of her child's best interests. I'm really hoping she just needs time to absorb. That I could understand.

Liz, I hope you are feeling better.

Kate, isn't it funny the things they remember?

Dbf's mom arrives tomorrow night. She is a perfectionist and when I see my house through her eyes I feel like such a slob. I really wanted to clean out my fridge before she came. And organize my laundry room. And scrub my shower..stupid sliding glass doors are impossible to keep clean, especially since our iron filter has been broken for weeks, just got fixed today and out water was yellow the entire time it wasn't working and stained everything. *Sigh* All that stuff to do and I just want to go to bed.

Myles, that is funny. Honestly I don't know if I'm just totally in observant or I really am never ogled. I have to say I just have not been keeping up with myself lately. I'm just worn out these days.

Bridget, it doesn't happen often that parents flat out refuse what we offer. It's not too unusual for parents just not to follow through, though. It is sad. But I hate when parents try to explain away everything they never see their child doing. It's like, look at your child! Don't you worry about that?

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Someone screamed MILF! at me out a pick up truck one day when I was walking with the kids and I gave a fist pump..
    That's awesome!!!

OMG! You guys have to watch this. My high school classmate, Maureen F. , was a child actress in a sitcom where she was half alien and could stop time by touching the tips of her fingers together. I know. I know.

Anyway, she's now in this video circulating around the web. As you might know Kirk Cameron from that 90s show Growing Pains has been spewing a lot of hate speech against the LGBT community, all in the name of piety. Whatever. So Maureen and a few other child actors got together and made this:

http://m.funnyordie.com/videos/b6dde...g-kirk-cameron. (<-- ETA: NSFW)

I hope it goes viral.

Bridget, have you tried using dryer sheets (eg Bounce) on your glass shower doors? They work pretty well to clean and ward off the soap scum. Just wet a little and polish with it. Rinse. Voila! Good luck with your MIL, you MILF. (Hey if you're hot and someone's mother in law, does that make you a MILILF?)

Myles, too funny. And I remember watching that show! How funny you went to high school with her!

Question for all of you. I have been invited to my friend's daughter's "Hello Kitty" 7th birthday. What do I get her? I suppose Hello Kitty stuff goes without saying...or is that too predictable?

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I will have to try the Bounce sheets on my showers doors. I got Bar Keepers Friend after reading a house keeping blog and every few weeks I use it, when I am taking a shower by myself and have more than 2 minutes in there, so it's kind of hard to maintain.

We have been having the most awesome thunder and lightning storm all night. It's been raining like crazy off and on all day and night here. When I drove to work at 5 am they were running traffic breaks on the highway and several lanes were closed off because cars and trucks were flipped over in the rain.

S. refused his nap yesterday and I did not give him melatonin last night. He fell asleep pretty easily, but woke up countless times during the night yelling "Mommy! Mommy! Mommy! Mommy!" Tonight at bedtime I asked him if he remembered calling for me so much last night. He said yes. I asked him if he could remember why he called out for me so much last night. He said, "Because it works." I waited a moment, and said again, "Why do you call for Mommy so much at night?" He said again, "Because it works." I clarified, "Because it works in what way?" and he said, "For Mommy coming." I pressed him on if he was sad or lonely or scared of the dark, and all he would say is that it worked. I'm not sure that was a real conversation, in that it signified what it seemed to signify, but he seemed like he meant what he said.

I don't think I ever get checked out, either. If I ever dress in order to be checked out, I am wanting the looks and don't get creeped out by them, and when I don't dress for it, they're usually much milder and I usually just appreciate it. I don't tend to attract much attention on first glance, though. I don't ever have to put on a face for being a female--just for being in the hood and trying to order some french fries at Crackburger or walking through the toughs by the projects near work without looking too hurried or scared or foolish. I enjoyed the hoochie mama link.

Mandy, I would ask your friend what to get her daughter, if it's at all comfortable for you and especially if you don't know the girl really well. If she loves Hello Kitty, she might have a ton of stuff already, too.

Yeah, L, wasn't that storm awesome? It was raining down chunks of hail the size of marbles in Pacifica. The house was shaking. Bodhi said, "I know I look like I'm sad, but I'm just worried." My friend posted a video of her little girl "skating" on their back deck (helped by daddy pulling her across the hail).

Mother nature really put on a show tonight.

Mandy, if your friend's daughter likes Hello Kitty, it sounds like she might be a girly girl, so I'd get something pink for her probably, like a little purse and a bracelet or something. Kids that age seem to like dressing up and carrying around little handbags and stuff.

Shelley, sorry, I forgot to answer your question about American TV shows over here. The ones that they advertise big time over here are True Blood, Treme, Blue Bloods, Game of Thrones, and all of the Law and Orders. Oh, and the comedies: The Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother, and My Name is Earl. And they've just started showing that show New Girl.

Ricky Gervais has got a new comedy drama series out called Derek. I tried watching it last night, but I wasn't finding it very funny. He plays a guy that is kind of socially slow who works at a nursing home. I felt like I was cringing more than laughing, so I turned it off.

I don't think I've ever looked like a hoochie momma. I don't have big enough boobs for them to get oogled at. They are very humble little things. LOL. I do know that face that you are talking about,though, Myles. I have a similar kind of face that I show when I feel like I am getting unwanted attention.

I spend more time trying to hide my boobs, not flaunt them. They are a frequent topic of conversation among my friends I don't ever get checked out that I'm aware of, but maybe I'm just oblivious.
    AKA Lisa724

Bridget it was "LAY OFF ME, I'M STARVING..."

**Lizzo**

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    OMG! You guys have to watch this. My high school classmate, Maureen F. , was a child actress in a sitcom where she was half alien and could stop time by touching the tips of her fingers together. I know. I know.

Anyway, she's now in this video circulating around the web. As you might know Kirk Cameron from that 90s show Growing Pains has been spewing a lot of hate speech against the LGBT community, all in the name of piety. Whatever. So Maureen and a few other child actors got together and made this:

http://m.funnyordie.com/videos/b6dde...g-kirk-cameron. (<-- ETA: NSFW)

I hope it goes viral.
    I think it has because I saw the video shared already on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Myles, too funny. And I remember watching that show! How funny you went to high school with her!

Question for all of you. I have been invited to my friend's daughter's "Hello Kitty" 7th birthday. What do I get her? I suppose Hello Kitty stuff goes without saying...or is that too predictable?
    I think at 7 she might be disappointed to not get Hello Kitty. At that age, there's no such thing as 'too much of a good thing'

So yesterday I was told I needed to learn more about computers, and someone else called about a printer problem and asked me to send 'one of the guys' to come up and fix it. I'm like...huh? What am I, the secretary? I can fix the **** thing!

Hahaha! Liz, you are correct!

And to touch on a couple more points...

I love Hello Kitty but in no way am I a girly girl. So I'd probably try (just because it's me) to think outside the box and NOT go totally girly girly. Maybe just some art supplies of some sort. A fuzzy poster or something different.

As for dressing "hootchie" I cannot. I just do not feel comfortable. I even have troubles wearing my tube top dress in the house if I know someone is coming over. Like last summer, pregnant, tube dress and I barely wore it though I loved it. If I knew one of the daycare dads was picking up/dropping off, I'd try to put something on over the top. I am so weird like that. I like to be covered as much as possible. I feel nekkid with anything hangin out.

And @ Remy right now. He sees the comment from above and he thinks it's dancing, so he's trying to imitate it. Slapping his hand on the ground and jumping up and down.

**Lizzo**

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Not at all weird. If you produce less milk, then you release less oxytocin and prolactin, which contribute to that feeling of bonding and overall well-being.

That might be why I bf'd for 2.5 yrs.
    Good to know. I guess I'm just afraid of ending up in that roller coaster of emotions that I had become accustomed too. Prior to getting pregnant I was a big ball of emotional ups and downs. We won't be stopping for quite some time though

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Inca View Post
    And @ Remy right now. He sees the comment from above and he thinks it's dancing, so he's trying to imitate it. Slapping his hand on the ground and jumping up and down.
    That's too cute!

Here you are Bridget. I had to find it and watch it. I love that skit. Dbf and I watch it or reference to it every so often. http://www.hulu.com/watch/2368/satur...live-gap-girls

**Lizzo**

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    So yesterday I was told I needed to learn more about computers, and someone else called about a printer problem and asked me to send 'one of the guys' to come up and fix it. I'm like...huh? What am I, the secretary? I can fix the **** thing!
    WTH????

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog